Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9430 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

Interview: Kyle Higgins Talks NIGHTWING, Death of the Family and Disco Suits

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Death of the Family is underway and Joker has targeted those closest to Batman. We've seen some of what Joker has been doing in the pages of BATMAN but soon he will be turning his attention to Dick Grayson/Nightwing.

We had the chance to ask NIGHTWING writer Kyle Higgins some questions specifically about the Death of the Family tie in issues in 15 and 16 and what the future holds for the series.

NIGHTWING #16
    NIGHTWING #16

Comic Vine: So far in Death of the Family (in other titles), we haven't really seen too much death. Will we be seeing death in NIGHTWING?

Kyle Higgins: With Joker's interaction with Nightwing, there will be plenty of death. You will see death in issue #15 and then more death in issue #16.

CV: Dick's been trying to make the Haly's Circus work, will this be something he continues to try to do?

KH: Well, that depends on issue #16. Haly's Circus, I don't want to give too much away here, holds a special place in Dick's heart. It's a connection to who he used to be. It's also his way of holding onto a place in Gotham, bringing light to a very dark place in the city in the present day. Dick's not going to be giving up on Haly's Circus anytime soon. It's definitely something we'll be dealing with, especially with the events in issue #16.

No Caption Provided

CV: Dick has a strange relationship with Sonia Zucco because of her past, is she a character you will continue to develop?

KH: Oh yeah. I've been a fan of Sonia since Scott [Snyder] introduced her in his epic run. I think she's really a testament to one of Dick's greatest strengths in my opinion. He's not someone to dwell on the past. He's progressively looking forward. Sonia takes this ability to have interactions with in a business and social sense. His ability to have that and be okay with it and not just view her as the daughter of the man that killed his parents I think is a testament of what makes him so unique in the DC Universe.

CV: What about Raya? Will we be seeing more of her after her betrayal in issue #7?

KH: The end of issue #14 features her in a very prominent way. It's a safe bet to say she will be factoring into upcoming issues of NIGHTWING in a very big way, in a very significant way.

CV: Because of the New 52, what sort of relationship does Dick have with Joker? Dick doesn't seem to have the same sort of grudge that Barbara or Jason would have.

KH: I think that's actually what makes Joker so scary. The fact that Dick has seen what Joker has done to Jason and Barbara, Dick is not going to be taking Joker lightly. Having gone through these big experiences with the fallout of Barbara being shot, Jason dying, even as Joker's been terrorizing Batman the past few years, Nightwing is very much on guard.

No Caption Provided

CV: Joker is really Batman's nemesis. Will you be giving Nightwing his own?

KH: Yes. We actually have plans coming up as a result of this arc. The way the book is going to be…there's going to be a lot of changes coming to the book as a result of issue #16. There's things that Joker is putting Nightwing through. The way that Nightwing chooses to deal with said events and the fallout that happens will be the start of things to come. It'll be kind of a new direction. There are some characters coming up that I'm hoping will resonate with readers as far as creating a new dynamic between Nightwing and them that will build over time in a rivalry. Very much in the same way as Batman has his Joker, we have plans going forward to build some very serious threats for Nightwing.

No Caption Provided

CV: With Dick and Jason in Gotham because of Death of the Family, will there be any time to talk about Starfire? Any plans for a crossover anytime soon?

KH: [laughs] No. All Starfire conversation will be put on hold. I don't know if Dick knows that Jason and Starfire are hanging out. That conversation will be tabled for another day.

CV: What is Nightwing's greatest strength?

KH: I think Nightwing's greatest strength is also his greatest weakness. I've said this before, he's a character who is in constant motion both emotionally and literally. Being able to move on from things that hurt him, past tragedies, is something that is very desirable. I wish I could do that. But at the same time, something we saw in issue #0, if you keep moving on from things, that's actually a big negative as well.

CV: Would Nightwing ever go back to the disco costume?

KH: Nightwing will never go back to the disco costume. No.

Be sure to pick up NIGHTWING #15 on December 19, and issue #16 on January 23, 2013.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By longbowhunter

Planning to pick up issue #15 and #16. Hope Higgins brings it like he did during Night of the Owls. Enjoyed the podcast last night too.

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Trodorne

I can't wait to see what kyle does for the series beyond 16

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By Miss_Garrick

I like disco suits.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By theTimeStreamer

nightwing has not been good since the new52. shame.

LiamB8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By LiamB8

What the hell is he wearing?

powerhouse1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By powerhouse1122

Honestly I dislike it when his 'bird's' wings go over from his delts, I mean the symbol looks pretty good when the wing's edge follow his cuts on his shoulders

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Wow, curious about issues 15 and 16 now from what he has said O_O

Nightwingdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nightwingdg

HOLY S#@$ Eddy Barrows work is phenomenal on Nightwing.

Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#9  Edited By Green ankh

It would be funny if they did a holloween issue and Dick wore the disco suit as his costume to a party.

queenfrost_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By queenfrost_

I hope Dick and Babs get more interactions soon

tjs4759

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tjs4759

Can't wait to see what they bring to the table as far as Dick getting a nemesis, he is in dire need of one.

BTW - I hate the disco suit, and am not real fond of his current suit. If I had my choice, I would prefer he wear something like the Young Justice attire. Something more tactical.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Mucklefluga

@LiamB8: Disco suits FTW!

Loved the series on the whole mostly. Nightwing is a very interesting character.

Spideycap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Spideycap

My favorite character and favorite book. To say I'm excited for the Joker tie in issues and what follows would not be enough. Bring it on!

Avatar image for dicksihavestudied
    dicksihavestudied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting and should be fun.

I suppose I shouldn't quibble with the writer (since he is the writer and Kyle has been doing a good job), but it seems so trite to say Dick's greatest strength is also his greatest weakness. I feel rather ambivalent about that statement: Dick's ability to move on is a great strength but I'm not sure I agree he's always in motion, physically or emotionally. Plus, I think trying to highlight one "greatest strength" sells Nightwing short.

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15  Edited By RedOwl_1

Art looks great! Can't wait for it :D

hyperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By hyperman

I wouldn't be at all worried about the disco suit, but I would be absolutely worried if the mullet was back XD

Munsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Munsu

Yeah, I am not the biggest fan of the new suit either. The symbol is just too big and it always makes it look like he is wearing a big bow tie. :/

Also I would love it if Dick already knows who Jason is teaming up with but just doesn't care. I'd rather just avoid all that drama.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.