Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9487 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

I'm pretty sure we are getting Dick back as Nightwing.

Avatar image for graysonofgotham
    graysonofgotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By graysonofgotham

Tom King had an interview with Newsarama about Robin War and he seemed to all but say Dick will be rocking finger stripes pretty soon. I love Grayson and think it has been an amazing book for Dick as a character. That said I would like to see him back as Nightwing.

Nrama: You gave us a tease about the Court of Owls. To finish up, is there anything you can tell us about this "Nightwing" stuff?

King: I didn't drop that Nightwing word lightly. Tim [Seeley] and I, who's my brother, are DC's Grayson writers. We know that character. And we know how much Nightwing means to that character.

And that's one of the reasons I'm writing Robin War. We're bringing that concept back, and what it means to Dick Grayson.

As we go forward, what happens with that mask and that name is going to play a huge role in Grayson going forward.

Source

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

More like someone will be taking over as Nightwing and Dick will likely mentor them

rfilipek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By rfilipek

@graysonofgotham: I really do hope so too. I like Grayson. However, there's something about Nightwing, as a comic and character, that's larger than Grayson, as a comic and character (i.e., Agent 37). I also hope it's Dick Grayson as Nightwing and not someone else taking over the Nightwing mantle, whom Dick will mentor/train.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no problem with this and would accept it wholeheartedly. Similar to Jim Gordon being Batman i've never really viewed Grayson as being a permanent change.

Avatar image for graysonofgotham
    graysonofgotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More like someone will be taking over as Nightwing and Dick will likely mentor them

I could see that but with the DCEU about to kick in to high gear and Dick more than likely appearing as Nightwing in it I feel it makes more sense for him to be Nightwing again. I always hated that DC passed code names around so much. I always felt it hurt a characters credibility and made it really hard to explain who characters are/their history to new fans.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

I'd be disappointed if it happens so soon. I was never a huge Nightwing fan but I've been really enjoying Grayson.

Folly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I could be trying to mix it up. He will stay in the spy genre but also be Nightwing. King said they had a three stages plan for Grayson, with them currently walking towards the stage "re-introduction to the greater DCEU" and reintroducing him with two identities (one for the spy and one for the hero world) would certainly make sense. Grayson won't end any time soon and certainly not after January when Robin War ends, they only start the new arc in February after all. It could explain why he has the Nightwing costume on the February cover of Titans Hunt [if it is not just a flashback cover].

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@folly said:

I could be trying to mix it up. He will stay in the spy genre but also be Nightwing. King said they had a three stages plan for Grayson, with them currently walking towards the stage "re-introduction to the greater DCEU" and reintroducing him with two identities (one for the spy and one for the hero world) would certainly make sense. Grayson won't end any time soon and certainly not after January when Robin War ends, they only start the new arc in February after all. It could explain why he has the Nightwing costume on the February cover of Titans Hunt [if it is not just a flashback cover].

That's not a bad idea. Heck, his dad's been doing it for years. Batman, Bruce Wayne, Matches Malone, each with his own purpose in the greater scheme. Why not have Dick utilize both Nightwing and Agent 13?

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

There's no point in him going back to Nightwing because there's nothing there for the character to take back. As Batman and Robin: Eternal has shown, you can have Agent Grayson be the center of the batfamily.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if someone else adopts the Nightwing mantle...particularly a character who just came back in the DCU.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah... I prefer him as an agent. Hopefully he's just passing it on to someone else.

nightwingism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The idea of him being Nightwing and Agent Grayson at the same time would be cool, but he was outed as being Nightwing already. He can't go back to being Nightwing without people knowing who he is.

However, I guess he could use the spyral implants to make people forget that he was ever there to begin with and forget his face.

But that would require complete control over the implants so the other spies and directors couldn't see what he sees or shut him down with the phrase.

I think it's going to be a thing where he puts back on the uniform for one last mission. A final hurrah of sorts.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Aahz

@folly said:

I could be trying to mix it up. He will stay in the spy genre but also be Nightwing. King said they had a three stages plan for Grayson, with them currently walking towards the stage "re-introduction to the greater DCEU" and reintroducing him with two identities (one for the spy and one for the hero world) would certainly make sense. Grayson won't end any time soon and certainly not after January when Robin War ends, they only start the new arc in February after all.

But the series is called "Grayson" and not "Agent 37", and it's not impossible that his time with spyral will come to an end very soon, and he goes back to being Nightwing even, even if the series continues.

Folly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aahz said:
    @folly said:

I could be trying to mix it up. He will stay in the spy genre but also be Nightwing. King said they had a three stages plan for Grayson, with them currently walking towards the stage "re-introduction to the greater DCEU" and reintroducing him with two identities (one for the spy and one for the hero world) would certainly make sense. Grayson won't end any time soon and certainly not after January when Robin War ends, they only start the new arc in February after all.

But the series is called "Grayson" and not "Agent 37", and it's not impossible that his time with spyral will come to an end very soon, and he goes back to being Nightwing even, even if the series continues.

You are right but it is not called Nightwing either. And I meant a Spy Identity not that he will remain Agent 37/with Spyral forever. He could take up Nightwing as his sole identity again but I don't see it happening during Robin War because of the February solicits. But we have no clue how this continuity works, so perhaps a good amount of Grayson until Issue X will play before WR? Who knows. For me a mixture just seems logical because TH shows him in his Nightwing gear and Grayson still as Agent 37 (or only as spy, depending how the arc comes to its conclusion) in February.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.