Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9476 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

Could Green Arrow TV show be good for Nightwing?

LuigiBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LuigiBat

The Green Arrow TV show is due for release in the near future (actual title of the show is 'Arrow'). Do you guys think this show could, if enough of a success. pave the way for a Nightwing show?

Personally I'm surprised they didn't go for Nightwing in the first place, he's not a really, really well known character but surely he's more recognisable than Green Arrow? When you think about it, Nightwing is certainly someone who viewers of all ages would be able to recognise. Older guys who watched BTAS and TNBA when they were younger would watch a trailer or see a poster and instantly think "Hey, thats a TV show about that really cool character from TNBA back when I was a kid" whilst teens will undoubtedly identity with the character of Dick Grayson if they show him as being something of an outcast from the Batman family. The fact that Nightwing is linked in with Batman, a franchise proven to be very popular in recent years, would mean that the show would have far greater marketing potential and a greater pull when it comes to viewers.

Surely if people enjoy 'Arrow' and it gets a healthy amount of viewers on a consistent basis Warner Bros and DC will have to look into making a Nightwing show?

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SmoothJammin

In b4 CW pulled the plug on Grayson xD

Nightflame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Nightflame

Yeah, I think it could definitely pave the way for a Nightwing show. I, for one, vote Ian Somerhalder for the job. :)

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Nightwing shows been on the table before. At this point I really think its only a matter of time.

r3d_rob1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By r3d_rob1n

If anything I would say that Arrow actually hurts the chances of a Nightwing show, at least on the CW. The execs there are not going to put on 2 separate super hero shows with similar MOs (powerless and agile). As long as Arrow is on the air, I doubt Nightwing will be.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By KnightRise

Probably not on a Nightwing show, but if he becomes a supporting cast member like Oliver was on Smallville the exposure would help.

@Nightflame: I vote Ian Somerhalder for anything

vernierhawk001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By vernierhawk001

I say Nathan West. On Miracle he just seemed to have the Dick grayson look

LuigiBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LuigiBat

@KnightRise said:

Probably not on a Nightwing show, but if he becomes a supporting cast member like Oliver was on Smallville the exposure would help.

@Nightflame: I vote Ian Somerhalder for anything

Green Arrow's presence in Smallville was likely what persuaded DC and Warner Bros that a solo show could work.

BTW, who says a Nightwing show would have to be on CW? Time Warner, the company that owns DC and CW, also owns HBO and a couple of other TV companies, they wouldn't have to air on the same channel or compete.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By ReVamp

Possibly

The Grayson show they had planned was shelved, but if he'd appeared it could persuade them otherwise.

LuigiBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LuigiBat

@ReVamp said:

Possibly

The Grayson show they had planned was shelved, but if he'd appeared it could persuade them otherwise.

That was 4 years ago now though. Plus it was a crap premise for the show in the sense that it would've likely just been pre-Robin Dick Grayson for a season or two, and I'm pretty sure the reason they had plans for such a show was down to uncertainty over whether Smallville would continue at that time. Obviously Smallville continued for a couple of extra years so the need for this 'Grayson' show was gone.

If they're gonna make a show about Dick Grayson then it has to be at the time he starts being Nightwing, first 2-3 episodes could be something like the Nightwing:Year One arc by Chuck Dixon.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ReVamp

@LuigiBat said:

@ReVamp said:

Possibly

That was 4 years ago now though. Plus it was a crap premise for the show in the sense that it would've likely just been pre-Robin Dick Grayson for a season or two, and I'm pretty sure the reason they had plans for such a show was down to uncertainty over whether Smallville would continue at that time. Obviously Smallville continued for a couple of extra years so the need for this 'Grayson' show was gone.

If they're gonna make a show about Dick Grayson then it has to be at the time he starts being Nightwing, first 2-3 episodes could be something like the Nightwing:Year One arc by Chuck Dixon.

I don't see how that counters my point though?

LuigiBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LuigiBat

@ReVamp said:

@LuigiBat said:

@ReVamp said:

Possibly

I don't see how that counters my point though?

Wasn't really trying to counter anything.

Was just saying that the Grayson show which you referred to was only seen as a fall-back option if Smallville had ended at that point in time. If anything it was probably a blessing in disguise that the aforementioned show never saw the light of day or went any further than it did (they only committed to a pilot episode) because as I've already said the premise for it was utter drivel.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ReVamp

@LuigiBat said:

Ah I see,.

Was just saying that the Grayson show which you referred to was only seen as a fall-back option if Smallville had ended at that point in time.

True, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be possible to see the idea again.

If anything it was probably a blessing in disguise that the aforementioned show never saw the light of day or went any further than it did (they only committed to a pilot episode) because as I've already said the premise for it was utter drivel.

I have to disagree. Its probably the best idea seen without having to include Batman in the equation.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By redwingx

Actually Green Arrow is alot more popular.

LuigiBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LuigiBat

@ReVamp said:

@LuigiBat said:

Ah I see,.

Was just saying that the Grayson show which you referred to was only seen as a fall-back option if Smallville had ended at that point in time.

True, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be possible to see the idea again.

If anything it was probably a blessing in disguise that the aforementioned show never saw the light of day or went any further than it did (they only committed to a pilot episode) because as I've already said the premise for it was utter drivel.

I have to disagree. Its probably the best idea seen without having to include Batman in the equation.

I just got the feeling from reading the details about the show's proposed premise that the maker's wanted to do something linked to the Batman universe without actually using the Bat himself, Smallville wasn't able to feature Batman or even Bruce Wayne in any episodes due to copyright issues with the Nolan trilogy still to be completed. I could be wrong but now that Nolan's trilogy is out of the way any series wouldn't have to contend with as much red tape, I mean how can you do a Dick Grayson series (which would at some point HAVE to feature Bruce, there's only so many stories of a circus boy that people will stomach) without using Bruce Wayne at all? Also, I kind of find the idea of following Dick Grayson prior to his parent's deaths to be somewhat pointless, especially if it'd take a whole series or two, there's just not that much they'd be able to do with it.

Yeah it's the best idea without having Batman involved, but that doesn't (in my opinion) make it a good idea or one that would be a success. Remember the Birds of Prey show from 10 years ago? They didn't include Batman, just said 'oh yeah Batman retired a few years ago but he had a kid with Catwoman who now fights crime'. Needless to say that it didn't work.

RitchieB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RitchieB

This is the thing, is Nightwing popular enough at this point to have his own show, NO. However is Dick Grayson popular enough to have his own show YES. Heres what I mean by that everyone has heard of Batman and Robin. its the dynamic dou. seriously try this, walk up to anyone that isnt familiar with comics and ask them who Robin is and 9/10 the answer you will get is Dick Grayson or the boy whos family died in the circus. We as comicbook fans know that isnt true. Damian Wayne is Robin. Then ask them if they heard of Tim Drake, Jason Todd, Stephanie Brown, etc. But people can identify Dick Grayson. Now if they had a show that was based on the premise of Robin growing up and looking to find his own path, thats relatable. How? because teens identify with wanting to grow up, wanting to drive, see R rated movies, drink, etc., The older generation will watch due to nostalgia. They remember watching Dick Grayson team up with Batman. Now a story about a hero you used to know and love breaking away from his father, finding himself, reconciling with his father, and becoming a man. thats a good story.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ReVamp

@LuigiBat: You'd have to be willing to give a lot of space for the creators.

GuasonTF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By GuasonTF

Richard Grayson was suppose to get a show on CW titled "The Graysons" but was turned down due to Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy. He didn't want another sub Bat story to interfere with his bat universe. Thats also why Batman was never introduced into smallville and instead they introduced Green Arrow.

LuigiBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LuigiBat

@RitchieB said:

This is the thing, is Nightwing popular enough at this point to have his own show, NO. However is Dick Grayson popular enough to have his own show YES. Heres what I mean by that everyone has heard of Batman and Robin. its the dynamic dou. seriously try this, walk up to anyone that isnt familiar with comics and ask them who Robin is and 9/10 the answer you will get is Dick Grayson or the boy whos family died in the circus. We as comicbook fans know that isnt true. Damian Wayne is Robin. Then ask them if they heard of Tim Drake, Jason Todd, Stephanie Brown, etc. But people can identify Dick Grayson. Now if they had a show that was based on the premise of Robin growing up and looking to find his own path, thats relatable. How? because teens identify with wanting to grow up, wanting to drive, see R rated movies, drink, etc., The older generation will watch due to nostalgia. They remember watching Dick Grayson team up with Batman. Now a story about a hero you used to know and love breaking away from his father, finding himself, reconciling with his father, and becoming a man. thats a good story.

This, is precisely the sort of approach I'd want them to take with a Nightwing show. As I said before, they could use the first couple of episodes (or maybe even have a whole first season) to do something akin to Nightwing Year One.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#20  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

It would be cool. the show should feature most of the non-power DC heroes.

Nightwing2468

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Nightwing2468

I was thinking that Dick comes to Starling City because he just started his new life as Nightwing and he stops to see what he can do there just a part of his journey to eventually lead him to Bludhaven but he stays at Star. City to help Ollie like Ollie did for Clark in Smallville.

Avatar image for graysonofgotham
    graysonofgotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By graysonofgotham

@Nightwing2468 said:

I was thinking that Dick comes to Starling City because he just started his new life as Nightwing and he stops to see what he can do there just a part of his journey to eventually lead him to Bludhaven but he stays at Star. City to help Ollie like Ollie did for Clark in Smallville.

It could work and it would be badass.

Nightwing2468

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Nightwing2468

@richardjohngrayson:I know right it would be so awesome!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.