Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9481 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

Convergence The New Teen Titans Thoughts SO Far

Dubvoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I thought the issue was pretty good how it captured the Titans and how it explained how they were all coping with being trapped. I also like how it doesn't solely focus the story on Convergence and that it goes too Dick and Kory's marriage is getting rough, Donna trying to be the voice for everyone and their problems while she might be suffering the worst, and even a Kole and Joey romance. I think they really left out Beast Boy, Cyborg, and Joey in the issue, but in the Marv Wolfman interview I read( http://www.newsarama.com/24240-marv-wolfman-returns-to-teen-titans-crisis-supergirl-in-convergence-tie-in.html ) They will have big parts for them in the next issue. I am kind of disappointed that Dick and Kory are having troubles but they both obviously extremely care for each other and well I at least think their problems will be fixed the next issue

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this looks great. I was somewhat confused at first, but Kori's explanation makes perfect sense and ties in nicely with her history of capture and torture by the Gordanians. Of course she wouldn't take being in the dome well. I can also see how the stark differences between the two would serve to cause friction in the marriage, and its an argument i've made before about why they couldn't ever realistically end up together. (Same with Bruce and Diana) All in all i'm loving this event for the chance to see old characters again.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By youknowwhattodo

I'll begin by saying that my favorite part of this issue was Donna Troy. I'm not the type of person to wax nostalgia, particularly on characterizations but Convergence New Teen Titans really did remind me how much I missed this Donna Troy. The Donna that's the heart of the team, always has the words to heal others and yet struggles with her own happiness. Kind of like Gail Simone and Oracle in Convergence: Nightwing/Oracle #1, you could really feel the affection that Marv Wolfman had for these characters, in particular Donna Troy. In a way, it's kind of bittersweet because we're probably not going to get anything close to that Donna Troy again, and we probably won't see a Titans book ever reach the level of New Teen Titans which was DC's answer to Uncanny X-Men and arguably the most best series DC published in the 80's.

Moving on, even though it was one issue, we got to see one of the main themes of Wolfman & Perez's New Teen Titans which were relationships. Donna made a note that pretty much every character was coupled with another (except her). It was definitely surprising to see Nightwing and Starfire, not just married, but apparently husband/wife for months. Even though it was one issue, you did get to see the good, the bad and the ugly with both of these characters. Contrary to popular belief, Dick Grayson is not the perfect boyfriend, and Kori is not the ideal waifu. You also got to see a glimpse into Kole and Jericho, not much came of it other than to reinforce that Donna knows best. Changeling (Beast Boy) and Cyborg had a nice brother relationship and obviously Donna in a big sister relationship with everybody. Even the Doom Patrol played a part and we got to see some of their inner dynamics and they weren't one-dimensional blood thirsty animals like a lot of the Convergence antagonists. These relationship dynamics are really something I wish the new 52 Teen Titans would reintroduce those concepts instead of just focusing on the Titans facing the villain of the month and cramming as many young heroes into the story as possible without developing them. I don't think that focusing on character interactions as opposed to action is outdated. I can't think of a single character or interaction in the new 52 Teen Titans that interests me, and it's not because nostalgia impairs my enjoyment, I want the book to succeed, even if the roster is different.

The art was very good, not really surprising with Nicola Scott, the characters are drawn beautifully and of course Nicola Scott couldn't help herself, she had to draw a Nightwing ass shot (though not as blatant as the Secret Six panel).

I did have some problems with the issue, the comic is exposition heavy, especially in the beginning. If you were tired of seeing Cyborg act as a wall-flower in the John's Justice League series and thought you were going to get Cyborg unleashed...well...he's still a wall-flower for now, but at least he has a story-line going. Seeing some of the costumes drawn by modern techniques showed how dated they were, in particular...Cyborg. On another note, I don't know why people view Discowing in such a negative light, it's not the best costume ever, but it's not terrible, it's not Kitty Pryde as Sprite. I still find it hilarious that DC decided to erase most of Dick Grayson's history with the reboot, but they still kept the Discowing costume. The only other thing and I understand why Wolfman excluded her because this was a Titans lineup at a very specific time where she wasn't part of the team, but I would have liked to have seen Raven in this because not only is she very important to the Titans but her character over the past decade has devolved into the stereotype of a troubled 'Gothic' teenager, with Raven becoming a less interesting character with each subsequent Titans story.

Overall, I enjoyed this issue, but I will admit it is a little bittersweet.

nightwingism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This was probably one of my favorite convergence issues I have read, and thankfully the one I was most looking forward too to begin with

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finally got around to reading this, and I must say that it was a great reminder why I love this iteration of the Titans the most (even though Raven wasn't present). I actually liked how Dick and Kory were noticing that their differences were becoming more and more apparent. While they had pretty good chemistry for young love, I personally never thought they would've made it in the long run. This issue was a good example illustrating why.

batman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By batman100

I liked the book it wae original and the art was nice i love how even it was fake the characters lives were realistic like when star and dick argued and from kori point of view she is used to killing cus she was raised like that dick hated that. the thing that writers do that i hate is find little fult in a chatacter eg kori and dick kori love dick more than any thing but in a marriage thing can't be perfect so writers use that as an excuse to drift dick from kory to babs for the sake of batfans and the bad part is babs is worst than star in a relationship of corse dick and babs love each other but the problrm is babs i feel she loves him but not as much as star. babs face through troble but lie to dick and forget like he dose not exist rejecting him always and at the same time i understand how she feels but if you were dick you wouldn't cus she keeps every thing inside but when with star yes she get angry but it normal she went through hell and out but keeps a smile but part of what she faced in the past will always affect her .as a writer Starfire was written to change dick to be he's own man and she didn't force or kept telling too change they both grew with love and he changed but now it is time for dick to return the favour and what i mean is for writers to find a way for dick too gradually change kory not when you see a small fault in someone they make an excuse Starfire can't be married to dick cuse she is an alien .it just like a black cant marry a white cuse he is black starfire love for dick will always be more too me than babs.babs exuse is that dick had a beautify past with her but she hold out on him and becuse she has a lot of issues going on and she pushes dick out .but for kory she loves him more than anything and she would put hin first. She is not perfect but here love for him will always mean more than babs writets like to make excuses and put thid idea of babs and nightwing cause the are batfamily which is the only excuse they have and the had a relationship that is not that strong.i have notice in the comic nightwing new 52 the always push the idea of Babs and dick and act like kori never existed which is wrong and its fake and if Babs really know korys life with dick i believe she will agree apart form this the comic was nice i just hope it wouldn't change for dick and kori to dick and Babs all the time.i want to see dick and kori argue and learn from each other to understand each other more instead of drifting them aside for the sake of bat fans and its weird that am a batfan saying this

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.