Batgirl or Starfire?

• 104 results
Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
#51 Posted by youknowwhattodo (2196 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually don't mind the idea of Luke and Babs, I think that it's important for Barbara Gordon date superheroes that ARE NOT ROBINS. However, I do wish the writers of Batgirl spent more time developing the Luke/Babs romance than none at all. It does seem as though Luke was brought in just so she could date him before Dick came back to Gotham and therefore keep Dick and Babs from becoming a thing.

With regards to Batgirl #45, I thought it was a decent read, but it was melo-dramatic at certain parts (like the scan above lol). There are quite a bit of fans who were upset with how Dick behaved and while he certainly didn't look his best, I think his behavior was understandable when we're talking about a 21-year old young man. Also I enjoy Babs Tarr-Dick Grayson.

That being said with this and Grayson #12, I'm tired of the narrative that Dick and Babs are meant for each other, they're not. I mean, Dick and Babs CAN be together, but it needs to be developed, there needs to be a dynamic...room for character development...things that make comic book romances interesting to read. Instead of what we're getting now which is melodramatic dialogue that tricks us into thinking these two are star-crossed lovers. I think that Higgin's take on their relationship in his Nightwing run was preferable, good friends that occasionally flirt with each other with the idea that down the line they might try dating each other.

#52 Posted by Dubvoight (15 posts) - - Show Bio

seeing how dc is sticking with the single spy angle I cant see dick really sticking around with Kory just like in bat girl 45 with Barbara. only teasing the relationships for the future. But fortunately with convergence both couples have a happy ending just on different earths and it's the characters we actually like

#53 Posted by rfilipek (22 posts) - - Show Bio

@kiba: agreed! Either get them together or move on ... This story plot is annoying even in TV shows.

#54 Posted by rfilipek (22 posts) - - Show Bio

Did anyone read the latest issue of Starfire? Spoilers ahead >> Dick and Kori shared a kiss. I'm not sure if it was a "I'm-glad-you're-alive-and-I've-missed-you-kiss" or a real kiss. Who knows ... especially since Babs rejected him just recently.

#55 Posted by youknowwhattodo (2196 posts) - - Show Bio

I highly doubt that the end result of the next issue of Starfire will be Dick and Kori hooking up. Pairing up characters from separate books without one comic to unite them (like Superman/Wonder Woman or a team book) is not the best idea, so I think that both Dick/Kori and Dick/Babs shippers will be left with blue balls. Though I do hope/expect that Palmiotti and Conner will have Dick and Kori mutually agree to not restart their romance, but rather they rekindle their friendship. I don't want to read another crossover where Dick shows up and forces a love interest from pre-Flashpoint* to choose between him and their new love interest with Dick looking pretty bad in the process.

*Adding to that, an interaction that hinges on a chemistry/romantic history that doesn't exist in the new 52/DC You for the audience to get invested in that particular comic.

#56 Edited by rfilipek (22 posts) - - Show Bio

@youknowwhattodo: I agree with you 100% ("I don't want to read another crossover where Dick shows up and forces a love interest from pre-Flashpoint* to choose between him and their new love interest with Dick looking pretty bad in the process"). I just hope the writers agree as well :) I also think the kiss might have been a way to demonstrate to new readers the intensity of their previous relationship, but nothing will come from it. It's really, in the end, just a kiss. We'll know more soon, I guess.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
#57 Posted by linsanel_Doctor (8630 posts) - - Show Bio

Batgirl is cooler imo.

Avatar image for graysonofgotham
#58 Edited by graysonofgotham (524 posts) - - Show Bio

My answer has historically been Batgirl. However in the New 52 I don't like Babs at all. I loved Dick and Starfire's interaction in Starfire 7 so i'm gonna go with Starfire. In the new DCU at least.

#59 Posted by HighAccuser (9696 posts) - - Show Bio

Starfire, before she turned into...

#60 Posted by Vitacura (116 posts) - - Show Bio

Historically Starifire, her and Dick NTT days realationship was great wile Barbara and Dick always seem a little unbalanced.

Right now Starfire hands down. You should always go with the people that is happy to see you, and this two were happy to be around each other.

#61 Posted by DRY1994 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn't anyone remember Barbara Gordon being married to Sam Young in Batman Beyond?

Personally, I prefer to follow the animated series and shows (DC animated universe and Teen Titans) more closely than the comics. Reasons I don't like to follow the comics being (1) continuity being broken, rewritten, cast off, or neglected, (2) too much drama and twists in the name of shock value (can't someone just live a peaceful happy life when they aren't fighting crime?), (3) characters that we grew up with and respected being rewritten into... well... let's just say they're no longer as clean as they used to be. I prefer the animated shows because it's relatively more consistent and a lot cleaner than the comics.

All that being said, I go with Dick dating Barbara sometime while he is still under Batman's shadow, but that didn't work out. Then shortly following, Dick leave's Batman to become his own hero. He moves to Jump City and forms the Teen Titans. Barbara does lose the use of her legs, but years later after medical advancements in the future, she is able to walk again.

Dick Grayson ends up with Starfire. Barbara Gordon ends up with Sam Young. Terry McGinnis ends up with Dana Tan. Beast Boy ends up with Raven. I don't know who Cyborg ends up with: Jinx or Bumblebee. Though I did think that Jinx and Kid Flash were cute toogether.

And everyone is happy because the found a mate, well, except for Terra (at least not with Beast Boy), Damian Wayne (currently)(he is way too young for Raven), and Batman (though I found his crush on Wonder Woman in Justice League Unlimited interesting, I don't think it went very far).

There is a Batman Beyond comic where Terry Mcginnis ended up in an alternate timeline tasked with preventing it from happening, and in that timeline, Dick and Barbara were married. They accepted the fact that that timeline needed to be erased for the sake of the universe (not because they were married, but because of whatever major time-altering catastrophe happened. Ever since I saw that, I've had the concept that any timeline that had Dick and Barbara together meant that something bad had happened and that that timeline needed to be erased. After seeing Dick and Starfire in Teen Titans, I really wanted them to end up together, and I was already used and supportive of Barbara being with Sam Young. My concept was also strengthened when Cyborg and Beast Boy erased another timeline where Dick and Barbara were married in an episode of Teen Titans GO! (No, I don't hold it as canon or a continuity of the previous show, but it was based off of it. I just found it interesting that it supported my concept. I'm also a big fan of BBRAE).

I'm not a fan of the changes created by New 52. I heard rumors that DC was moving away from new 52. Can anyone confirm that? If so, are they going back to pre-New 52 or are they just continuing New 52's stories without the New 52 title?

#62 Posted by youknowwhattodo (2196 posts) - - Show Bio

@dry1994 said:

Doesn't anyone remember Barbara Gordon being married to Sam Young in Batman Beyond?

Personally, I prefer to follow the animated series and shows (DC animated universe and Teen Titans) more closely than the comics. Reasons I don't like to follow the comics being (1) continuity being broken, rewritten, cast off, or neglected, (2) too much drama and twists in the name of shock value (can't someone just live a peaceful happy life when they aren't fighting crime?), (3) characters that we grew up with and respected being rewritten into... well... let's just say they're no longer as clean as they used to be. I prefer the animated shows because it's relatively more consistent and a lot cleaner than the comics.

All that being said, I go with Dick dating Barbara sometime while he is still under Batman's shadow, but that didn't work out. Then shortly following, Dick leave's Batman to become his own hero. He moves to Jump City and forms the Teen Titans. Barbara does lose the use of her legs, but years later after medical advancements in the future, she is able to walk again.

Dick Grayson ends up with Starfire. Barbara Gordon ends up with Sam Young. Terry McGinnis ends up with Dana Tan. Beast Boy ends up with Raven. I don't know who Cyborg ends up with: Jinx or Bumblebee. Though I did think that Jinx and Kid Flash were cute toogether.

And everyone is happy because the found a mate, well, except for Terra (at least not with Beast Boy), Damian Wayne (currently)(he is way too young for Raven), and Batman (though I found his crush on Wonder Woman in Justice League Unlimited interesting, I don't think it went very far).

There is a Batman Beyond comic where Terry Mcginnis ended up in an alternate timeline tasked with preventing it from happening, and in that timeline, Dick and Barbara were married. They accepted the fact that that timeline needed to be erased for the sake of the universe (not because they were married, but because of whatever major time-altering catastrophe happened. Ever since I saw that, I've had the concept that any timeline that had Dick and Barbara together meant that something bad had happened and that that timeline needed to be erased. After seeing Dick and Starfire in Teen Titans, I really wanted them to end up together, and I was already used and supportive of Barbara being with Sam Young. My concept was also strengthened when Cyborg and Beast Boy erased another timeline where Dick and Barbara were married in an episode of Teen Titans GO! (No, I don't hold it as canon or a continuity of the previous show, but it was based off of it. I just found it interesting that it supported my concept. I'm also a big fan of BBRAE).

I'm not a fan of the changes created by New 52. I heard rumors that DC was moving away from new 52. Can anyone confirm that? If so, are they going back to pre-New 52 or are they just continuing New 52's stories without the New 52 title?

The latter for the most part. In many ways, Rebirth is similar to what Marvel did with Marvel:Now.

#63 Posted by modernww2fare (7281 posts) - - Show Bio

The human

#64 Posted by SmoothJammin (2661 posts) - - Show Bio

I know I should feel ashamed at not knowing but is it true Starfire is descended from a race of feline? If so.. I have to agree w/ @modernww2fare

#65 Posted by youknowwhattodo (2196 posts) - - Show Bio

I know I should feel ashamed at not knowing but is it true Starfire is descended from a race of feline? If so.. I have to agree w/ @modernww2fare

In pre-Flashpoint they were, not sure if that's the case with the Tamaraneans new 52 onwards.

#66 Posted by Ninjaguy5700 (3 posts) - - Show Bio

I like him with Babs more.

#67 Posted by TheExile285 (4353 posts) - - Show Bio

Starfire

#68 Posted by Lelanka (101 posts) - - Show Bio

I like both, but Barbara and Dick are just original together. So it's Babs in my opinion.

#69 Posted by Reaper2908 (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly I like Barbara and I think they are perfect for each other but I would have to say Starfire is better if only because she never considered screwing Batman, I mean for Nightwing that's got to be like your gf wanting to do your father

#70 Posted by MainJP (7134 posts) - - Show Bio

Star.

#71 Posted by RDClip (2792 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly I like Barbara and I think they are perfect for each other but I would have to say Starfire is better if only because she never considered screwing Batman, I mean for Nightwing that's got to be like your gf wanting to do your father

That weird Babs/Bruce stuff only happened in Bruce Timm's universe (that guy has some serious issues with self projecting his own fetishes on Batman) and bad fanfiction. In the comics, Babs was never interested in Bruce sexually or romantically. I think she sees how messed up he is emotionally and doesn't want any part of that and comic Babs isn't immature enough to be attracted to Bruce's bad boy/damaged puppy personality. Plus, he's like her uncle.

As for Starfire, DC did mess up her character in n52 where she was sleeping with Dick's adoptive brother (jason) and one of his best friends (roy)

#73 Edited by Nonasunbae277 (3 posts) - - Show Bio

starfire. she was his mature love. all credits go to starfire for dick's personal and emotional growth and his movement from the robin mantle into his own man and nightwing persona. no other relationship changed him as a person , it was only Starfire his long lasting enduring relationship. I don't agree with babs , as she's only gonna be dragging him back and forth to the batside, and she never contributed anything to dick 's development, she's nothing but a childhood crush and a fling. plus she's too old for him, dicks deserves someone younger and more meaningful to him and that's star. I just hate babs too much, as she's just a constant reminder of dick's past and she's just an annoying bitch who copied bats costume style and pretends that she's all way cool. Kori is the best one for dick, she's like a wishing star who landed on earth so she could make dick's life so much better. I'd say kori as the relationship is more meaningful and benificial for both parties , both helped them grow as a person. and that completely contradicts the statement of the people who say that his relationship with kori is more of a lust than love just so they could feel better about babs and dick. honestly that's low and stupid. honestly didn't read the comics.especially the whole new teen titans series. probably because they don't want to witness any dick and kori romance eh? but seriously? Defining a relationship by the way a person dresses is absolutely ridiculous. can't blame star for being hotter and prettier than babs though.

Avatar image for robinst34742389
#74 Posted by RobinSt34742389 (8 posts) - - Show Bio

starfire is more interesting and beneficial for dick. she makes more sense as she keeps him miles away from batman while batgirl is annoying boring bitch who copied batmans cowl then pretend shes cool, shes gonna be tying him down to batman. if nightwing really wanted to get away from bruce shadow why would he batman's female version? so im on for starfire. batgirl is wack

#75 Posted by Glaucus (569 posts) - - Show Bio

Kory

also want to add

I think Starfire is one of those characters that a lot of people misunderstand.

They give too much of a sexual emphasis on her, and I think that it's because of her attire as a superhero.

She has been referred to as a wholesome version of a prostitute.

I have also seen a comment about her being a nympho.

Of course, there are the slut names too.

What I gathered from the comics that I read

She was designed to be an outerspace version of Red Sonja.

She's an alien warrior princess.

She was also a slave for 6 years, and she went through horrible physical and emotional pain.

She escaped from a slave ship and was recaptured, but the Teen Titans rescued her.

On her planet Tamaran, people are barely dressed.

Another thing...She's a solar-powered being.

The Sun gives her strength and power.

Her star-bolt power came from torturing experimentation by her slavemasters.

I think some people don't understand the character and just judge her by her appearance.

There is a lot more to her than what she's wearing.

She is actually very smart along with being strong,tough,brave,fierce,loyal, deep,emotional,sensitive,caring,compassionate.

Most of all, she is a survivor.

What didn't kill her made her stronger.

She has been shown to have an extreme resistance to physical pain and immense willpower.

She had a lot of aggression in her because of her past as a slave and her training as a warrior.

As a Tamaranian, she lives through her passions and emotions, and she helped Dick with those.

The Teens Titan cartoon doesn't touch on the traumatic,abusive past like the comics does.

Tales of the Teen Titans #4 is a comic issue about Kori/Starfire's past.

#76 Posted by Glaucus (569 posts) - - Show Bio

Great explanation of how Barbara got elevated as Dick's main love interest at Kori's expense.

Dick ‘chose’ Babs since most of his writers either are more familiar with that relationship, prefer that relationship, put them together because DC editorial wanted them to, think that Babs is his default love interest or just don’t know much about Dick and Kory and assume that the DickKory relationship is pure lust (which for the record, it isn’t).

This is a fairly complicated reply, mainly because the answer relies on a combination of canon, characterisation and the comics/editing outside (aka in the real world). Also I’m admitting it now that I’m much more biased towards Dick and Kory (The New Teen Titans was the first comic series I fully completed and I prefer their relationship to Dick and Barbara).

Pre-flashpoint Real World: Nightwing and Starfire were originally going to get married. When that plan failed, Nightwing's character was put into limbo for a year or so, with a couple of guest appearances, before he was finally given a mini-series and then his own proper series. Since his botched wedding was a pretty big failure and the New Titansseries had declined in popularity and general writing quality, DC and Dixon basically tried to separate the idea of Nightwing and the Titans. That's why Kory (Starfire) is rarely mentioned in that series, despite the fact that she was his canon girlfriend (and eventual fiancé) for something like five years in canon, and the fact that he was 100% fully in love with her and seemed pretty comfortable with the idea of spending the rest of his life with her. Anyway, Dixon needed to lessen the DickKory relationship, and so he did that through a series of (poor) retcons, rarely mentioning her, or belittling her in order to boost up Babs/whatever other love interest.

The writers wanted to push for the whole 'Dick and Babs were soulmates from the moment they met' and so the result of that was a bunch of retcons, slowly erasing a big portion of the DickKory relationship and also making characters like Bruce and Babs hate Kory/make snide comments about her, despite it being really out of character for them.

Pre-flashpoint Canon: That's why it suddenly felt like he 'fell out of love with Starfire', because Dick went from wanting to marry her and spend the rest of his life with her (although the actual marriage was impulsive, but that's a can of worms for another day) to suddenly declaring that Barbara Gordon had always been 'the one' and was 'above the others' and barely mentioning Kory (and if she was mentioned, it was some sort of belittling comment about their relationship). Dick was retconned as always holding out some sort of hope for Babs to love him, and Kory became ‘slutty alien who got in the way of DickBabs’ :/

Post-flashpoint Real World: Dick and Kory’s history was mentioned, but since they were on different teams and the Titans had been retconned out, their relationship has barely been explored and so I can’t really help you much with that. Their relationship still had fans (mainly due to Robin/Starfire in the animated show) and so DC mentioned Nightwing and Starfire dating, but that was mainly it since most of what Scott Lobdell wrote is currently/has been retconned. Nightwing and Babs are popular, too, and since the pre-flashpoint universe ended with Babs and Dick almost getting married, it makes sense that DC would keep on pushing for Dick and Babs.

Post-flashpoint Canon: Dick and Kory presumably didn’t date that long, and their relationship has been mentioned like four times (with most of them being from Kory’s side of things; Tim Seeley has only mentioned DickKory when he needs something to compare Dick and Shawn with). Dick and Babs connection has been much stronger since they crossed a lot more in the Batfamily books. However Dick and Babs (as far as I’m aware) have romantic tension, but haven’t actually dated before (yet) so he’s presumably ‘chosen’ Babs since his relationship with Kory has currently been written as something that was one-sided and Babs has been seen as his ‘soulmate/ultimate love interest.’

(also if you got this far, props to you! personally I find Dick and Babs too similar in the fact that they both repress their emotions too much, and so I think their relationship wouldn't work out/would suffer as a result of that. Babs always struck me as the kind of person who didn't like needing people emotionally and enjoys her independence, whereas Dick has always been the kind of character who at heart, needs people and a strong emotional connection, and therefore after a while they'd be stuck in a situation where one of them would have to sacrifice their emotional needs to make the relationship work).

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nightwing/comments/5zz3jr/why_did_nightwing_choose_babs_over_starfire/

#77 Edited by ZicarxTheGreat (149 posts) - - Show Bio

@eskip22: You are referring to Nightstar. But on Earth 2 Nightwing and Babs have a boy named Thomas Grayson.

#78 Posted by Outside_85 (23518 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably said this elsewhere, but I see the Bat-fam as a family, so Dick and Babs always kinda makes me think brother and sister are dating. So my vote is for Starfire, also because Dick and Babs just seem to be one of those relationships that work best in theory, but when put to page it just becomes boring for some reason. It's like an NTT reunion, great we have them together again... now what do we do?

What I would actually want more is, during a time when neither are involved with Dick, then Barbara and Koriand'r have something of a gettogether, since despite them being involved with the same guy and sort of competing against each other, the two rarely seem to meet. (Like if we really are doing a triangle like Jean-Scott-Emma, you sort of need to have 'Jean' and 'Emma' meet.)

No Caption Provided

#79 Posted by Glaucus (569 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

#80 Posted by Outside_85 (23518 posts) - - Show Bio

@glaucus said:

Great explanation of how Barbara got elevated as Dick's main love interest at Kori's expense.

Dick ‘chose’ Babs since most of his writers either are more familiar with that relationship, prefer that relationship, put them together because DC editorial wanted them to, think that Babs is his default love interest or just don’t know much about Dick and Kory and assume that the DickKory relationship is pure lust (which for the record, it isn’t).

The short answer is that it's the Bat-editors fault the Dick and Babs thing is still simmering beneath the surface. Back in the 1980'ties when Wolfman and Perez had control over Dick, they could pair him off as they wanted, with Kori. When the sales of NTT started to slump, and the Bat-office regained control of Grayson, they wanted to control that aspect of Grayson as well... and they couldn't do that with Kori since she's not one of theirs. So in their world, the Dick/Kori ship had sailed off and sunk, and they could push some other coupling.

It's kinda the same thing thats to blame for Nightwing having this very long running solo series and visits from his fellows from the NTT days are nearly unheard of since it kinda requires a special arrangement.

#81 Posted by Glaucus (569 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

#82 Posted by Glaucus (569 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

#83 Posted by Glaucus (569 posts) - - Show Bio

I created a Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire thread at Comic Vine.

It shows a great deal about the history between Dick and Kory.

I posted many comic pictures about their interactions with each other in regards to love and caring as well as the thoughts and feelings of how they were affected by each other. They are from comic issues from the 1980s,1990s Teen Titans,Titans series.

I also posted a few videos too.

It was about defending the Dick/Kory ship.

I wanted to raise a rebuttal to the accusations that it was based on lust.

It was definitely based on love and caring.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/teen-titans/4060-19081/forums/dick-graysonnightwing-and-koriandrstarfire-1975639/

#84 Posted by Glaucus (569 posts) - - Show Bio

Titans In Love: Dick Grayson & Starfire

It started with a (now-classic) kiss in the pages of New Teen Titans #2 [1980]. In an attempt to learn English, Starfire absorbed the language by planting a wet one on the Boy Wonder. Initially denying his feelings, Robin realized how much he loved Starfire when her life was threatened by Blackfire during an outer-space adventure ( New Teen Titans #23-25, New Teen Titans Annual #1 [1982]). In the heat of the battle, Robin’s burgeoning feelings for Starfire became obvious. The couple proved a perfect match, as Starfire’s uninhibited personality offered a fitting contrast to Robin’s cool demeanor.

The pair remained a solid couple, even as Dick grappled with his own identity issues. Eventually finding his own path as Nightwing, his relationship with Starfire deepened. But the couple faced their greatest challenge when Starfire was forced into an arranged marriage to quell a Tamaranean civil uprising. While Starfire saw this as a marriage of state, Dick felt betrayed and left his alien love on Tamaran (New Teen Titans (second series) #15-18 [1986]). Stafire eventually returned to earth, and reconciled with Dick once he learned she did not take the traditional Tamaranean wedding vows (New Teen Titans(second series) #39 [1988]).

The Titans were soon shaken to the core when the evil Wildebeest Society launched a savage Titans Hunt. As tensions grew, the shape-shifter Mirage even kidnapped and impersonated Starfire, causing strain in her relationship with Nightwing. Impulsively, Dick proposed marriage to the tempestuous Tamaranean, desperately hoping to mend their relationship. The two almost wed, but the ceremony was interrupted by Raven, now reborn as an evil avatar of her father, Trigon (New Titans #99-100 [1993]). Starfire was implanted with a demon “seed” by Raven, which caused her to leave Earth and go on a spiritual journey (New Titans #114 [1994] and Showcase ’94 #11 [1994]). Thus, the long-standing relationship of Nightwing and Starfire was at an end, with neither party acquiring much closure.

Starfire found brief happiness in a marriage to the binary-powered alien known as Ph’yzzon (New Titans #127-130 [1995]). But after Ph’yzzon died while trying to protect New Tamaran from the Sun Eater (Final Night Preview [1996]), Starfire found herself single again. Reunited with Nightwing in JLA/Titans #1-3 [1998], the pair agreed to be good friends. Starfire joined the newly reformed Titans for a time, before finally returning to her people in Titans #17-19 [2000]. In Titans #19, Starfire and Nightwing finally say goodbye in a poignant scene that puts a cap on their relationship.

Starfire and Nightwing became allies again on several teams, including the Outsiders [2004], the Titans[2008] and the JLA [2010]. Although they have succumbed to old passions more than once, the pair have decided to remain good friends above all else.

The classic Robin-Starfire was extremely popular in its time, and for good reason. Like any good romance in fiction, the relationship led to character growth for both parties. Both challenged each other, as Kory learned to act less impulsively while Dick opened up emotionally. It was a thrill to discover the different sides of these characters as their love deepened.

Romantic Reads:

New Teen Titans [1980] #2, 16, 23-26, Annual #1, 39

New Teen Titans [1984] #15-18, 39, 99-100, 114

JLA/Titans #1-3 [1998]

Titans [2000] #17-19

http://www.titanstower.com/starfire/

#86 Posted by Glaucus (569 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#87 Edited by Glaucus (569 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to post some things about Kory in regards to how she cared and supported Dick in the 1980s,1990s.

I have seen people denounce the relationship and saying it was just lust,sex, and that it had no depth. That's totally opposite of the actual truth.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#88 Posted by Glaucus (569 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#89 Posted by Glaucus (569 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#90 Posted by Glaucus (569 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#91 Posted by Glaucus (569 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#92 Posted by Glaucus (569 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#93 Posted by Glaucus (569 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#94 Posted by Glaucus (569 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#95 Posted by Glaucus (569 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#96 Posted by Glaucus (569 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#97 Posted by Glaucus (569 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#98 Posted by Glaucus (569 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#99 Posted by Glaucus (569 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#100 Edited by Glaucus (569 posts) - - Show Bio

My posting was in defense of Kory and how she has been screwed over to pump up Barbara as Dick's one true love.

It was about defending Dick/Kory as well as Kory as a character by clearing up misconconceptions about their relationship being about just attraction,lust,and a meaningless romance. I even posted a link to the comic vine thread that I made about them that has a lot of comic book pictures showing that their relationship was based on love and caring.

I put in a lot of time and work to copy pictures from many comic book pages and insert them in my thread. I wanted to provide visual proof to support my defense of Dick/Kory ship and Kory. There is a lot of it. I even inserted youtube videos that showed their relationship in depth. https://comicvine.gamespot.com/teen-titans/4060-19081/forums/dick-graysonnightwing-and-koriandrstarfire-1975639/

I believe that Kory needed defending due to the damage that has been done to her reputation as a character and to her romantic relationship history with Dick. She's not the heartless alien slut that got in Barbara's way to get with Dick. She is a super-powered alien warrior princess who overcome her past as a slave and still had a big heart and wanted to help others not go through what she went through, and that was one of things that made Dick fall in love with her. She opened him up and helped him express his emotions better. He helped her with restraint and to live on earth.

All one has to do is read the New Teen Titans,Tales of the New Teen Titans, and The New Titans from 1980 to 1994 to see that all this is true. All one has to do is look at the comic pictures at my thread to see that I am not lying.

Unlike Dick/Barbara, Dick/Kory didn't have any retcons to develop their relationship as a true love pairing,let alone at another pairing's expense. Their relationship was developed slowly and gradually. It took a little over 2 years in real time for them to get together, and they became one of the most popular and iconic couples in DC comics. They were each other's love interest for 14 years. No retcons are going to erase that type of history.

If a pairing is true love, then retcons to diminish the greatness of another pairing is not needed.

One poster made a great explanation of how Barbara got elevated as Dick's main love interest at Kori's expense:

This is a fairly complicated reply, mainly because the answer relies on a combination of canon, characterisation and the comics/editing outside (aka in the real world). Also I’m admitting it now that I’m much more biased towards Dick and Kory (The New Teen Titans was the first comic series I fully completed and I prefer their relationship to Dick and Barbara).

Pre-flashpoint Real World: Nightwing and Starfire were originally going to get married. When that plan failed, Nightwing's character was put into limbo for a year or so, with a couple of guest appearances, before he was finally given a mini-series and then his own proper series. Since his botched wedding was a pretty big failure and the New Titansseries had declined in popularity and general writing quality, DC and Dixon basically tried to separate the idea of Nightwing and the Titans. That's why Kory (Starfire) is rarely mentioned in that series, despite the fact that she was his canon girlfriend (and eventual fiancé) for something like five years in canon, and the fact that he was 100% fully in love with her and seemed pretty comfortable with the idea of spending the rest of his life with her. Anyway, Dixon needed to lessen the DickKory relationship, and so he did that through a series of (poor) retcons, rarely mentioning her, or belittling her in order to boost up Babs/whatever other love interest.

The writers wanted to push for the whole 'Dick and Babs were soulmates from the moment they met' and so the result of that was a bunch of retcons, slowly erasing a big portion of the DickKory relationship and also making characters like Bruce and Babs hate Kory/make snide comments about her, despite it being really out of character for them.

Pre-flashpoint Canon: That's why it suddenly felt like he 'fell out of love with Starfire', because Dick went from wanting to marry her and spend the rest of his life with her (although the actual marriage was impulsive, but that's a can of worms for another day) to suddenly declaring that Barbara Gordon had always been 'the one' and was 'above the others' and barely mentioning Kory (and if she was mentioned, it was some sort of belittling comment about their relationship). Dick was retconned as always holding out some sort of hope for Babs to love him, and Kory became ‘slutty alien who got in the way of DickBabs’ :/

Post-flashpoint Real World: Dick and Kory’s history was mentioned, but since they were on different teams and the Titans had been retconned out, their relationship has barely been explored and so I can’t really help you much with that. Their relationship still had fans (mainly due to Robin/Starfire in the animated show) and so DC mentioned Nightwing and Starfire dating, but that was mainly it since most of what Scott Lobdell wrote is currently/has been retconned. Nightwing and Babs are popular, too, and since the pre-flashpoint universe ended with Babs and Dick almost getting married, it makes sense that DC would keep on pushing for Dick and Babs.

Post-flashpoint Canon: Dick and Kory presumably didn’t date that long, and their relationship has been mentioned like four times (with most of them being from Kory’s side of things; Tim Seeley has only mentioned DickKory when he needs something to compare Dick and Shawn with). Dick and Babs connection has been much stronger since they crossed a lot more in the Batfamily books. However Dick and Babs (as far as I’m aware) have romantic tension, but haven’t actually dated before (yet) so he’s presumably ‘chosen’ Babs since his relationship with Kory has currently been written as something that was one-sided and Babs has been seen as his ‘soulmate/ultimate love interest.’

(also if you got this far, props to you! personally I find Dick and Babs too similar in the fact that they both repress their emotions too much, and so I think their relationship wouldn't work out/would suffer as a result of that. Babs always struck me as the kind of person who didn't like needing people emotionally and enjoys her independence, whereas Dick has always been the kind of character who at heart, needs people and a strong emotional connection, and therefore after a while they'd be stuck in a situation where one of them would have to sacrifice their emotional needs to make the relationship work).

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nightwing/comments/5zz3jr/why_did_nightwing_choose_babs_over_starfire/

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.