Top Selling Comics & Publisher Market Share: April 2015

• 27 results
#51 Posted by 2cool4fun (2418 posts) - - Show Bio

Convergence is selling pretty good.

#52 Posted by jonnyh101 (76 posts) - - Show Bio

No real sunrises there! :P

#53 Posted by Wilbertus (535 posts) - - Show Bio

BTW can anyone explain what Unit share means?

As I understand it, Unit share is the percentage of total amount of comics and graphic novels sold per publisher. So in the hypothetical case that 100 Units (different comics and graphic novels) were sold in April, 36.33 of those individual items were published by Marvel, 33.90 by DC, etc. Of course you can't publish a .33 or .90 book, but that's just because the numbers are so much larger than 100.

Hope this helps. :)

#54 Edited by skyroid (2646 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallingcliffs: @opalance: My favorite genre is dystopian here example of them

The walking dead

Injustice gods among us

Kingdom come

Hunger games(just the books)

Gone series by Michael Grant(favorite non comic book)

As well as Saga

I am not talking about mindless dystopian with people randomly dying but sort of realistic, and characters dead that makes an impact with and/or brilliant storyline.

Any comics out there like that? I don't care about companies

#55 Posted by Fallingcliffs (5727 posts) - - Show Bio

@skyroid: If you like Injustice especially the crossover alternate universe factor from the game, I think you'd like convergence honestly. But cool list.

#56 Edited by wimble23 (1952 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a crime that Valiant isn't in the Top 10. A damn shame and a crime.

Well Valiant puts out maybe 8 comics a month where DC, Marvel and Image put out 8 or more a week so it would be almost impossible for them to pull in the same amount a month as they do. They go for the quality over quantity approach which is probably why their collected universe is so great and I hope they don't change that.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
#57 Posted by superior_prime_maybe (1360 posts) - - Show Bio
#58 Posted by DarthDanMan (184 posts) - - Show Bio

@skyroid: I'm pretty much only a DC guy but Old Man Logan looks like a Secret Wars tie-in you might want to check out. But I heard everybody hates Brian Bendis so I don't know. I just love Andrea Sorrentino's art.

Avatar image for handofprometheus
#60 Edited by HandOfPrometheus (888 posts) - - Show Bio

@superguy1591: I agree with you. I don't want DC abusing gimmicks like Marvel. I prefer DC to keep like how they are doing, planning events that happen once every year or so.

#61 Posted by derf_jenkins (757 posts) - - Show Bio

Valiant is amazing!! More people should be reading their books. Even if the same number of people are buying all of the marvel titles and all of the valiant titles the numbers above are going to look very similar. Marvel puts out how many issues a month? Valiant puts out 9. Think about what the numbers really mean. This is what shops ordered from diamond. Maybe some shops are great at knowing exactly what they will sell, but I doubt it. I see the over ordered books sit on the shelves and never actually sell. Convergence is one of those examples.

#62 Posted by Tyger (2865 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess Convergence and Star Wars FTW.

#64 Edited by Surza7 (353 posts) - - Show Bio

@starscream_vs_you: me either,really happy for Grayson and by the way they are shaping him,it's so interesting just how they did his Origin stuff and melding it with Convergence.Very excited for his character and to see him work with the rest of the Earth 2 people!

Avatar image for starscream_vs_you
#65 Posted by Starscream_Vs_You (242 posts) - - Show Bio

@surza7: Me too! I was like "this Grayson is a little different from the regular one". Then they started the curve in his involvement with the storyline. I was like "oh really?! I didn't see that coming at all!! Yes!".

#66 Posted by Surza7 (353 posts) - - Show Bio

@starscream_vs_you: yea and just him getting some ash and spreading it on his chest....heck yes I am totally fine with this,Thomas was an awesome Batman,but he wasn't a Batman who had a personality I could truly gravitate to,but Grayson.A man who lost his wife,his son,and saw one of the men he respected sacrifice his life in battle,what an awesome way to work in a new origin story!

#67 Posted by Starscream_Vs_You (242 posts) - - Show Bio

@surza7: No kidding! That is definitely a defining moment there not just his past but his present. Totally written right and exciting!! Can't wait for issue #7 & #8

#68 Posted by Surza7 (353 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for earthsmightiest
#69 Posted by EarthsMightiest (2765 posts) - - Show Bio
#70 Edited by Starscream_Vs_You (242 posts) - - Show Bio

@surza7: I've grown to love the heroes from earth 2 all of the differences and similarities to the original Justice Society Of America. In fact what is the team name of the heroes??

#71 Edited by illmatic4177 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallingcliffs: Are you high lmao, look at the charts for the last two or three years. Marvel has been winning the market share like an average of 9 months out of twelve. What acquiring Star Wars did was basically ensure Marvel is going to win the market share even on the occasional month where DC might pull ahead because of an event.

#72 Edited by Fallingcliffs (5727 posts) - - Show Bio

@illmatic4177 said:

@fallingcliffs: Are you high lmao, look at the charts for the last two or three years. Marvel has been winning the market share like an average of 9 months out of twelve. What acquiring Star Wars did was basically ensure Marvel is going to win the market share even on the occasional month where DC might pull ahead because of an event.

You obviously must have missed some stats then, guess you're high lol cause DC has won quite a few of those stats..and besides as I said, this month was insanely close no matter and Marvel only won because of SW, period. At any rate it doesn't matter because DC actually has DC owned characters still doing well, SW is not a Marvel property by origin...it's a Lucas. Marvel merely is the new publisher due to Disney owning both Marvel and SW now...

You act like DC never won and that all these "stats" are all that matter Ha...

Do I have to list other mediums where DC owns Marvel? TV? Cartoons? Animation? Games etc? Yeah....

Comics fluctuates.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3ffc872a35d
#73 Edited by deactivated-5b3ffc872a35d (289 posts) - - Show Bio

@opalance:

No it is awful.

Well, you think it is awful, that's your opinion, and mine is that it isn't. If you states something other than the summary of your opinion to back it up, then maybe it could be a discussion.

#74 Edited by illmatic4177 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallingcliffs: The numbers are so close with DC and Marvel this month, but one thing I noticed is that it's more or less DC vs. Star Wars at this point...Marvel just happens to have the rights to them.

Marvel should be kissing the boots of the SW fanboys of late.

That was you saying that it is basically DC vs Star Wars at this point. If you want to factor in Star Wars for helping Marvel win the market share every month so far this year, sure absolutely it helped. Though April would have been the first month that Marvel lost even without Star Wars. Marvel also won the market share 9 out of 12 months last year, and 26 out of the last 35 years. Was Star Wars responsible for all that lmao? This not about who the better company is, that is strictly a preference and of course charts don't mean everything. But you made a statement implying that Marvel only wins because of Star Wars, that is probably true for this one month. But looking back at the last couple years, and the last three decades that Marvel has been the top company far more often then DC, your statement is ridiculous.

#75 Posted by Fallingcliffs (5727 posts) - - Show Bio

@illumatic4177: This week yes it was, did you not see the top selling books? SW and Convergence lol...

Just saying take SW out of the rights of Disney/Marvel, and it's a different ballgame this month entirely. Everyone knows very few fanbases can compete with the nutty SW fans that get off on the very thought of Vader, dude past few weeks when I went to my shop so many SW fanboys more than DC and Marvel it seemed asking for "hey where's Darth Vader comic!?" lol Especially that first month with Vader...

But again, it's always either Batman or Superman alone vs. Marvel books here...that alone should tell you Bats and Supes are vastly more popular considering how old they are...uh yeah but again it's not EVERY single year nor every single month. So who cares? lol You emphasis way too much on "numbers" mean while DC and Marvel have always been one and two regardless of the placement for how long now? Exactly...

And again this is merely ONE medium which is close and fluctuates, overall mediums DC beats Marvel easily. My statement isn't ridiculous it's a valid, true fact....

#76 Edited by illmatic4177 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

We are only talking about one medium, comics. So saying that at this point It's DC vs Star Wars is 100% completely ridiculous. You talk about overall mediums, but the big two are Movies and Comics which Marvel by the numbers clearly wins. Sure DC wins animation and cartoons, Marvel has not made a lot of effort in those areas. TV Im not sure if you noticed but Daredevil pretty much being the best reviewed comic book tv show ever has pulled things pretty even in that department, Flash is the only other show even close. Plus Marvel has 4 more shows on Netflix on the way, where they don't have to deal with the network restrictions that the DC shows do. And merchandise Marvel outsells DC worldwide where Spiderman far outsells everybody else even Batman.

#77 Edited by EarthsMightiest (2765 posts) - - Show Bio

@opalance:

Your welcome to your opinion and I don't to back up mine since the rest of the comic community and official reviews have all agreed it is a sub-par event aka AWEFUL. If you feel the need to a bow on it feel free makes no difference to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3ffc872a35d
#78 Posted by deactivated-5b3ffc872a35d (289 posts) - - Show Bio

@opalance:

Your welcome to your opinion and I don't to back up mine since the rest of the comic community and official reviews have all agreed it is a sub-par event aka AWEFUL. If you feel the need to a bow on it feel free makes no difference to me.

I enjoy it from a conceptual standpoint, and the availability of matchups between characters from different elsewhere stories is great for VS discussions. There's also some great expansion on otherwise forgotten and cast aside characters and it clarified that existence of past universes into the current continuity. The art is great, the story had a slow start, if you call taking a couple issues to get going slow, and has a few bumps, but that's to be expected from a collaboration of this scale. Also sub-par is a C-, not an F aka awful.

I think people's perspectives of the event is slanted by the fact that everything else was stopped to focus solely on it and they are still upset over the new 52 relaunch. I think if it was more of a side story like the futures end series, people would have been much more positive of it. I read comics intending to enjoy them, not to criticize them though. I only buy things I think I will get something out of, and I don't expect to get the same thing out of everything, but again, that's just me.

#79 Posted by EarthsMightiest (2765 posts) - - Show Bio

@opalance:

Ok, if you enjoy it that's all that's important. Happy trails!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.