Top Selling Comics & Publisher Market Share: April 2015

• 27 results
Posted by inferiorego (25738 posts) - - Show Bio

Each month, Diamond Comic Distributors announces their top sellers, via press release, in the realm of comic books and more. This can give readers an idea of what folks are gravitating towards. What's working? What isn't? Let's take a look at the best of the best for April 2015.

Marvel took top spot, but they dropped 4% from last month. DC jumped up 7% and Image dropped a little, but pretty much continues to hover around 10% for dollar and unit share.

No Caption Provided

As always, check out these sweet pie charts.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

STAR WARS #4 took the top spot, followed by two issues of CONVERGENCE. Overall, DC took 6 out of the 10 top spots in April.

No Caption Provided

THE WALKING DEAD returns to the top spot of the top trades list and overall, grabs four spots out of the ten. BOOM! Studios takes the ten spot with the first volume of LUMBERJANES as well.

No Caption Provided

How many books did these companies ship out in April? The answer is below.

No Caption Provided

Finally, here's some more numbers comparing the dollars and units percentages for different months and years.

No Caption Provided

How do they calculate this information? It all starts at the comic book shop.

Data for Diamond’s sales charts — which include the monthly market shares and all top product charts — are compiled by Diamond Comic Distributors from a universe of over 3,500 comic book specialty shops located in North America and around the world. The account base includes brick-and-mortar comic book specialty shops, Internet merchants, and other specialty stores.

Unit and dollars sales are calculated based upon orders invoiced and shipped to Diamond accounts during January to December 2013, which comprises initial pre-orders, advance reorders, and reorders, minus any copies that are received back from a title marked as returnable.

What are your thoughts on all these numbers? What's your predictions for this month?

Staff
#1 Posted by the_stegman (40390 posts) - - Show Bio

DC is learning the Marvel way, events sell, even if the event is bad, aka, Convergence.

#2 Posted by noj (1400 posts) - - Show Bio

Dang I did not think Convergance was doing that well. Im happy that it is, but its crazy to see a list thats comprised solely of DC and Star Wars. Looks like Marvel putting out Star Wars is paying off big time!

#3 Posted by DrellAssassin (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll be interested to see if the numbers of Convergence remain next month. The event seems to have left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths, and with no non-Convergence titles coming out this month I'm interested to see how DC performs. There's a lot of disinterest going around in what's being offered, so I'm inclined to say they'll take a hit.

#4 Posted by Randomtask (36 posts) - - Show Bio

The problem is DC can release trash like convergence and it'll steal nail 5 spots in the top ten.
we'll going to keep suffering 'event malaise' if it keeps selling

#5 Posted by trebean (796 posts) - - Show Bio

@randomtask:

Your stating like DC is the only one that does it. Heck compared to the other side of the coin, they're pretty tame in releasing these type of events. Remember when Spider-Verse ran alongside AXIS? Just after Original Sin wrapped up? Just after Age of Ultron wrapped up?

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
#6 Posted by superior_prime_maybe (1360 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont think convergence is that bad. I actually like it. Granted its not a great comic, but thats okay.

Not sure why all the hate.

The hate is fine if its about the tie-ins and the removal of regular DC line-up. That i can understand.

#7 Posted by superior_prime_maybe (1360 posts) - - Show Bio

BTW can anyone explain what Unit share means?

#8 Posted by the_stegman (40390 posts) - - Show Bio

@superior_prime_maybe: I don't like Convergence cause I was promised one thing and didn't get it. I thought this was gonna be various characters from the Multivese teaming up to fight Brainiac. Brainiac has yet to do anything important and all we have are Earth 2 characters. It took 6 issues for them to even bring in other versions.

It feels like an Earth 2 story, not a mega event.

They should call it "Earth 2: Convergence"

#9 Posted by John-PH (362 posts) - - Show Bio
@trebean said:

@randomtask:

Your stating like DC is the only one that does it. Heck compared to the other side of the coin, they're pretty tame in releasing these type of events. Remember when Spider-Verse ran alongside AXIS? Just after Original Sin wrapped up? Just after Age of Ultron wrapped up?

Don't forget about Infinity, which came after AOU

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#10 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

Uh no Secret Wars on this list

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
#11 Edited by CaptainMarvel4Ever (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman said:

@superior_prime_maybe: I don't like Convergence cause I was promised one thing and didn't get it. I thought this was gonna be various characters from the Multivese teaming up to fight Brainiac. Brainiac has yet to do anything important and all we have are Earth 2 characters. It took 6 issues for them to even bring in other versions.

I don't think DC ever promised all that much from Convergence, right from the beginning they've been pretty open saying it's a fill in event.

That's why I'm not really all that disappointed by Convergence, I never had any high expectations for it.

#12 Posted by Superguy1591 (7539 posts) - - Show Bio

@randomtask: You mean Marvel can release trash events and number 1s and have it sell top 10. When they're not releasing trash, they're releasing number 1s.

I hope DC doesn't make this a trend though--I don't like forced events.

#13 Posted by DrellAssassin (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

Uh no Secret Wars on this list

Secret Wars came out in May. This is for April.

#14 Posted by manuelb132 (278 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess people do want events.

#15 Posted by Titanbreaker (1307 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder how DC's new #1's will fare.

#16 Posted by FearTheLiving (8837 posts) - - Show Bio

That's a lot of Convergence. I wonder if it's because it's an event or people really wanted to see the Pre 52 characters.

#17 Posted by Dman1366 (1328 posts) - - Show Bio

here is my monthly reality check, for the number that actually matter:

No Caption Provided
#18 Posted by roaris87 (404 posts) - - Show Bio

I like how each issue of Convergence has sold less, seems people won't be reading the whole 8 issues. I don't think it's too bad though, the last issue (6?) seems to be finally pumping up the action.

#19 Edited by Mark_Stephen (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

The more of what I don't like and can't afford anyway sells, the less likely I'm going to be to stick with the main two over the long haul since more sales equal more events and in my opinion events are where characters go to get distorted and plot lines go to die.

#20 Posted by lagozzino (555 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll be interested to see if the numbers of Convergence remain next month. The event seems to have left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths, and with no non-Convergence titles coming out this month I'm interested to see how DC performs. There's a lot of disinterest going around in what's being offered, so I'm inclined to say they'll take a hit.

Well the thing about comics is that they're ordered by the store around three months in advance. The Convergence issues coming out this month were already ordered in March, long before shop owners could take fan reaction into account*. If there's any drop in sales for May, it will only be because shop owners played it conservatively and placed smaller orders.

*Pretty sure that's also the reason for why all the Convergence tie-ins are two issues long. The first two issues of a new series are ordered blind by local comic shops. They're guessing at how many copies to order based on hype and have no real customer reaction to go on. The third issue, however, is ordered in the same month that the first issue comes out. I imagine if these tie-ins were three issues long, there'd be one hell of a drop off in sales for those last issues.

#21 Posted by DrellAssassin (1028 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#22 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by Deadgod (2206 posts) - - Show Bio

Glad to see Lumberjanes in Top 10 tp. Reading it from couple of days , great book.

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
#24 Edited by medulaoblaganda (2438 posts) - - Show Bio

so much for marvel and DC. the best companies and studios of all time.

#25 Posted by jayc1324 (26432 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman

#26 Posted by superior_prime_maybe (1360 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman said:

I don't think DC ever promised all that much from Convergence, right from the beginning they've been pretty open saying it's a fill in event.

That's why I'm not really all that disappointed by Convergence, I never had any high expectations for it.

Same i guess. Never expected much from it to begin with.

#27 Edited by sinestro_GL (3651 posts) - - Show Bio

Well...looks like the main Convergence title is selling well

#28 Posted by Sovereign91001 (7483 posts) - - Show Bio

DC nails 6 of the 10 top spots...for Convergence...sigh.

#29 Edited by viin (953 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm surprised Convergence is doing so well...I figured Batman #40 would of sold more.

#30 Posted by Randomtask (36 posts) - - Show Bio

@trebean@superguy1591@johnapocalypse
I'm against this kind of rubbish from both publishers, and I admit Marvel are probably even worse offenders; although DC has a nasty habit of taking a whole month dedicated to Villains and 5 Years and Convergences.
I mentioned only DC because they pulled it off this month and it was in my mind as I typed it out.

#31 Posted by cobsohn (73 posts) - - Show Bio

This is the first time I bought all the top ten books. Glad to see people are into Convergence, I was worried it'd be hurt by the event fatigue echo chamber. I like it, but I'm also partial to the Earth-2 characters. Hope to see Kanan up there again, he's a cool character.

#32 Posted by Ostyo (14103 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes! Kanan made top ten.

#33 Edited by noj (1400 posts) - - Show Bio

@roaris87:

@roaris87 said:

I like how each issue of Convergence has sold less, seems people won't be reading the whole 8 issues. I don't think it's too bad though, the last issue (6?) seems to be finally pumping up the action.

Its because each issue has been sold for one week less than the last. The other issues were still selling each week that the new one came out. Its that way for most events. Plus events in general sell more in the beginning.

#34 Posted by Surza7 (353 posts) - - Show Bio

@cobsohn: yea i have been loving Convergence the main title and the side stories,it has been a really fun and exciting event for me and love seeing the Earth 2 characters :D

#35 Edited by nappystr8 (1548 posts) - - Show Bio

My taste in comics is clearly not in line with the average reader.

#36 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (16619 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool, I didn´t expect Star Wars to sell this well.

Avatar image for starscream_vs_you
#37 Posted by Starscream_Vs_You (242 posts) - - Show Bio

Love that Convergence is in the top 6 I actually love the event. Even with some weak points here and there. But that is bound to happen with an event that is simply so that it fills in a gap for there move from New York to California. It's not bad but its all that and a bag of chips. But like I said I still have love for the event. Especially since it really truthfully picked up in issue 6. Actually 5 & 6 in my book. Who would have known that Deimos is such a threat!?

#38 Posted by roaris87 (404 posts) - - Show Bio

@noj said:

@roaris87:

@roaris87 said:

Its because each issue has been sold for one week less than the last. The other issues were still selling each week that the new one came out. Its that way for most events. Plus events in general sell more in the beginning.

That makes sense, I didn't think about that

#39 Posted by Doomnaut (2442 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish more people would read Valiant.

#40 Posted by storm-is-life (854 posts) - - Show Bio

BIG improvement on DC's part from march!!

#41 Posted by Surza7 (353 posts) - - Show Bio

@starscream_vs_you: i know dude is awesome and I am loving Earth 2 Grayson a ton in the book!

#42 Posted by Fallingcliffs (5727 posts) - - Show Bio

The numbers are so close with DC and Marvel this month, but one thing I noticed is that it's more or less DC vs. Star Wars at this point...Marvel just happens to have the rights to them.

Marvel should be kissing the boots of the SW fanboys of late.

Convergence is awesome, really enjoying it.

#43 Posted by skyroid (2646 posts) - - Show Bio

DC is learning the Marvel way, events sell, even if the event is bad, aka, Convergence.

oh god. plz don't let DC start taking Marvel route. i quit Marvel long ago and quit Dc awhile ago but once in awhile i read DCs Vertigo and Image comics.

#44 Posted by skyroid (2646 posts) - - Show Bio

is CONVERGENCE good? i bought few Marvels Secret war comics and didn't like them, Convergence and Secret wars sounds the same, or should i pick a Convergence comic? if so which one? and what secret war comic is good?

heres an example of my taste in comics

The Walking Dead

Saga

Injustice Gods Among Us

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
#45 Posted by EarthsMightiest (2765 posts) - - Show Bio

@skyroid:

No save your money Convergence is AWFUL, but some of the tie-ins do get good reviews.

Secret War tie-ins start next week.

Avatar image for starscream_vs_you
#46 Posted by Starscream_Vs_You (242 posts) - - Show Bio

@surza7: Definitely!! He is bad ass! Grayson stepping up even with the odds against him was awesome. It seems like in any universe he will always be a superhero even if he didn't start out like that. Can't wait for #7!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3ffc872a35d
#47 Posted by deactivated-5b3ffc872a35d (289 posts) - - Show Bio

@earthsmightiest: There's a huge difference between meh, and "AWFUL" I'd say the first few issues of Convergence would leave some people confused, and there's plenty of meh or poorly written sub-plots with the different two issue sets, but it's got some great stuff in there and some meh stuff and some poorly written stuff, but there's only so much the top writers can put together with how spread thin they are with everyone stopping what they are doing to work on it. I personally find the whole tie-in with past universes and the implications that it holds is very multiverse expanding. There's been plenty to enjoy. I was so badly craving "real" Shazam stuff that's true to the 75 years of history of the character and my boyfriend has been the same for Pre-52 Wally West. It's a cross-over to end all DC crossovers.

Avatar image for 51stpresidentofplanetneutral
#48 Posted by 51stPresidentofPlanetNeutral (380 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a crime that Valiant isn't in the Top 10. A damn shame and a crime.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3ffc872a35d
#49 Posted by deactivated-5b3ffc872a35d (289 posts) - - Show Bio

@skyroid: Honestly, a lot of it will be lost on you if you don't know about the different past universes that DC has had. I think some do a good job of explaining it though. There's a certain youtube series that's got a newbies' take on the the different issues of the series alongside the comic veteran's that's nice.

#50 Posted by Fallingcliffs (5727 posts) - - Show Bio

@skyroid: I disagree with that other guy, Convergence is awesome. If you're a fan of pre 52 characters mixed with other universes, you'll like it. It's definitely not "awful" if it were, it wouldn't sell this high. Some people just hate everything by DC or Marvel etc.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.