Top Selling Comics & Publisher Market Share: June 2015

• 85 results
Posted by inferiorego (25738 posts) - - Show Bio

Each month, Diamond Comic Distributors announces their top sellers, via press release, in the realm of comic books and more. This can give readers an idea of what folks are gravitating towards. What's working? What isn't? Let's take a look at the best of the best for June 2015.

Last month, Marvel hit over 40% for both dollar and unit share.

No Caption Provided

For those of you who like things a little more visual, here's some pie charts.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Last month, SECRET WARS #3 took the top spot. Marvel had seven of the top ten spot while DC took three.

No Caption Provided

WYTCHES took the top spot for the top 10 trades. Image had five spots in the top ten, and Marvel had the rest.

No Caption Provided

Here's what each company shipped last month.

No Caption Provided

Here's some comparative sales.

No Caption Provided

How do they calculate this information? It all starts at the comic book shop.

Data for Diamond’s sales charts — which include the monthly market shares and all top product charts — are compiled by Diamond Comic Distributors from a universe of over 3,500 comic book specialty shops located in North America and around the world. The account base includes brick-and-mortar comic book specialty shops, Internet merchants, and other specialty stores.

Unit and dollars sales are calculated based upon orders invoiced and shipped to Diamond accounts during January to December 2013, which comprises initial pre-orders, advance reorders, and reorders, minus any copies that are received back from a title marked as returnable.

What are your thoughts on all these numbers? What's your predictions for this month?

Staff
#1 Posted by Rpgesus (5380 posts) - - Show Bio

for whatever you reasons you may hate marvel, you gotta admit theyre killing it. i swear the dollar share goes up everytime i see these articles

#2 Posted by WarDishy_ (1252 posts) - - Show Bio

@rpgesus: Makes their greediness even worse though. I mean, they're ahead by THAT much and they've still gotta charge through the nose?

#3 Edited by sinikettu (2629 posts) - - Show Bio

Seels like the comics sales have been fairly steady despite DC & Marvel both having some major upheavals and reconstructing of their respective cosmologies lately.

#4 Posted by DrellAssassin (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

Seels like the comics sales have been fairly steady despite DC & Marvel both having some major upheavals and reconstructing of their respective cosmologies lately.

Year to date they've gone up 16% over last year so...

@wardishy said:

@rpgesus: Makes their greediness even worse though. I mean, they're ahead by THAT much and they've still gotta charge through the nose?

You realize they're a business designed to make money right? There is no point where a business goes, "alright boys that's enough, let's throttle it back".

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#5 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes Valiant

#6 Posted by Mark_Stephen (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

@rpgesus said:

for whatever you reasons you may hate marvel, you gotta admit theyre killing it. i swear the dollar share goes up everytime i see these articles

They may not be the best stories but they are superb at marketing strategy.

#7 Posted by sinikettu (2629 posts) - - Show Bio

@drellassassin: If you look at the charts the sales figures are almost identical, which is interesting.

#8 Posted by Dman1366 (1328 posts) - - Show Bio

Valiant!!!! dude, .82% for all units sold with only 10 items. That is impressive

#9 Posted by Rpgesus (5380 posts) - - Show Bio

@mark_stephen: yeah im not excited for any new series really BUT new avengers and secret wars main has been really good imo, i flew through new avengers in a day

#10 Posted by Mrfuzzynutz (1626 posts) - - Show Bio

WOW I thought the margin was a bit closer. Hopefully the upcoming movies bring in some revenue for DC, otherwise Marvel is going to have a stranglehold on the market for a few years to come.

#11 Posted by wmarshal (572 posts) - - Show Bio

Does this count online reading?

#12 Posted by Rpgesus (5380 posts) - - Show Bio

@wmarshal: i think they have some formula that gives a rough estimate of online readers, but its not 100% accurate iirc

#13 Posted by Mercy_ (94928 posts) - - Show Bio

Yikes

#14 Posted by deathfalcon182 (308 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it would be a lot closer with June being the big DC relaunch month but DC can't really fight here when almost all the Marvel books are 3.99 a piece.

#15 Edited by Asgaard (4573 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinikettu said:

Year to date they've gone up 16% over last year so...

Star Wars new vibe...

#16 Edited by Blackice709 (1830 posts) - - Show Bio

damn marvel

#17 Edited by ScrappyDont27 (531 posts) - - Show Bio

I am just hoping IDW makes enough to keep the TMNT book alive and to keep having James Stakoe do a Godzilla book every year or so.

#18 Posted by Mark_Stephen (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

I am just hoping IDW makes enough to keep the TMNT book alive and to keep having James Stakoe do a Godzilla book every year or so.

I am looking forward to Godzilla in Hell.

#19 Posted by Mfundroid (2916 posts) - - Show Bio

Well done Marvel, wow...

#20 Posted by sinikettu (2629 posts) - - Show Bio

@mfundroid: Yeah. Marvel's doing great atm. though one company holding 40-50% of the total share of market isn't healthy for any industry in the long run.

#21 Posted by D9000 (1637 posts) - - Show Bio

Go VALIANT!! You rock!

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for the_man_with_questions
#22 Posted by The_Man_With_Questions (2786 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course Marvel is making a ton of cash. They're currently selling multiple on going series, Secret Wars tie-ins, and the Secret Wars itself. Not to mention the fact that a ton of these books cost 4.99. God am I glad I stopped Marvel long ago.

#23 Posted by PsychoPinata (365 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel continues to destroy DC....

#24 Posted by wmarshal (572 posts) - - Show Bio

Valiant is life

#25 Posted by G_leno (1507 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel getting ever closer to that 50%! What is DC going to fight back with?

#26 Posted by Gotham331 (516 posts) - - Show Bio

As always Marvel rules

#27 Posted by Rpgesus (5380 posts) - - Show Bio

DC just keeps putting out the dumb, boring, uninspired comics

#28 Posted by Gotham331 (516 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by wmarshal (572 posts) - - Show Bio

@rpgesus: I ask because as someone that read lot of valiant on my phone, I wonder how much the average is someone like me is.

#30 Posted by flavioeldritch (7 posts) - - Show Bio

Readers sadly preferring the rehashing of old Marvel events over the renewing of DC line of books? What a surprise, huh?

#31 Posted by ScrappyDont27 (531 posts) - - Show Bio

@mark_stephen: I wish James was doing the whole series but I am also very much looking forward to it also

#32 Posted by John-PH (362 posts) - - Show Bio

When does the top 100 usually come out? I want to see how Starfire and Bizzaro did

#33 Posted by illmatic4177 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathfalcon182: Shouldn't DC be selling more units then Marvel then if they are generally cheaper?

Avatar image for the_man_with_questions
#34 Posted by The_Man_With_Questions (2786 posts) - - Show Bio

@illmatic4177: Why would that be a thing? I'm not going to purchase a DC book to read Spider-Man. And you still have to take in account that Marvel is still producing multiple on going series, Secret Wars tie-ins, and Secret Wars itself. And once again a lot of there books cost 4.99. Obviously there going to make a lot more cash than their competitors.

#35 Posted by worldFlash (253 posts) - - Show Bio

@rpgesus: Well, they have the movies and then have also bought the Star wars franchise, they should be ahead considering the advantages they have over publishers like IDW.

#36 Posted by kfabz-23 (6135 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel stays slaying

#37 Posted by DrellAssassin (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

@illmatic4177: Why would that be a thing? I'm not going to purchase a DC book to read Spider-Man. And you still have to take in account that Marvel is still producing multiple on going series, Secret Wars tie-ins, and Secret Wars itself. And once again a lot of there books cost 4.99. Obviously there going to make a lot more cash than their competitors.

The deficit between the two companies' unit share is nearly the same as the dollar share, so the increased price (on only some comics, and even those are occasional because they are priced by size) isn't really a factor.

Avatar image for greenlanterndeadpool
#38 Posted by GreenLanternDeadpool (182 posts) - - Show Bio

A lot of whining already.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
#39 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (9213 posts) - - Show Bio

Salty DC fans whining. You know what's telling? The fact Marvel charges more on average for their books than DC and DC still can't compete. People would rather spend more on Marvel than spend less on DC. DC is lucky they have Batman or they would probably fall behind Image.

#40 Posted by illmatic4177 (429 posts) - - Show Bio
#41 Posted by acekalama (28 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Edited by Flicker (146 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm honestly shocked with the amount of #1's DC had come out. I do applaud DC for not renumbering everything coming out of Convergence. Overall I'm really enjoying DC's books.

#43 Posted by FearTheLiving (8837 posts) - - Show Bio

Just glad to see Ms Marvel still getting love in the trades. You could also argue that most of Marvel's titles in the top 10 are #1 but DC just put out a bunch as well and the only one up there JLA.

Other than that can't really comment on the other titles as I don't plan on touching Secret Wars for a while (not out of lack of interest just lack of funds, plus large backlog).

#44 Posted by ia0delond (199 posts) - - Show Bio

X Men 92 number 8 with a 5$ issue.

Now waiting for marvel to announce an on-going.

#45 Posted by albusan (2945 posts) - - Show Bio

Yet Comicvine has more DC fans but I guess that doesn't mean the DC fans are paying for the books.

#46 Posted by righteous300 (3975 posts) - - Show Bio

The salt is real.

#47 Posted by righteous300 (3975 posts) - - Show Bio

The salt is real.

Avatar image for thekidfliessolo
#48 Edited by thekidfliessolo (126 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel has so many titles going on right now with Secret Wars and its tie-in books. The majority of them have been pretty decent to boot, plus the 3.99 cover price compared to DC going with a 2.99 cover price for the majority of their solo books. Justice League seems to be the exceptions here. They will get another big push when the new series comes out in October. Plus you gotta think about the movie franchises as well. You know that those movies have brought a lot of new comic readers to the genre and since Marvel really rules that aspect as well, it is easy to see how they pull in the most. If DC gets their cinematic universe off the ground and running well, I would think they could see a bump in their numbers. I know that every now and then, I will broaden my reading list and find some really good stuff by the other distributors. You know that it is a matter of time once those new readers get hooked that they start finding stuff from Dark Horse, Valiant, Dynamite and the other publishers.

#49 Posted by lagozzino (555 posts) - - Show Bio

@wmarshal said:

Does this count online reading?

Nope, the misleading thing about these monthly sales charts is that they're not the sales charts for the industry as a whole, they're just the sales charts for Diamond Distribution.
The numbers here only represent that the physical copies sold that were purchased by comic stores through Diamond. Doesn't count digital sales, doesn't count reading through online subscription sites (like Marvel Unlimited for example), doesn't count sales from outside North America (because other countries use other distributors), doesn't even count sales in North American that were distributed by companies other than Diamond.

I really feel like a disclaimer should start being added to these articles, but at the same time I know everyone would just skim past it to the charts, so it probably wouldn't help straighten things out very much.

#50 Posted by Scarlet_Rogue (190 posts) - - Show Bio

Married Peter Parker #2 book in Marvel's sales.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.