Detective Comics #935

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

This isn't your regular old version of Detective Comics, and that's a good thing. We had decades and decades of [really good] Batman stories. James Tynion IV's direction in making this more of a team book is a fantastic and welcomed change.

As seen in the first issue, Batman discovered there's a new and deadly threat in Gotham that has targeted him and his allies. This makes Batman do the unthinkable...ask someone else for help. Seeking out Batwoman, along with Tim Drake, they will get Spoiler, Orphan, and...Clayface ready for what's coming up. The question is: Will they have enough time to get ready? If you thought the mystery of the threat was a plot element that would drag on, think again.

If you've ever read or seen Tynion talk about Batman and the related characters in this book in interviews, it's no secret how much he loves these characters. That's something that is also evident in each issue. It's a good thing when you can tell a writer deeply enjoys the book and characters they're working on. All of these characters have been seen in the various Batman books, but having them together gives it a different dynamic. It's a great change of pace for a Batman book.

Eddy Barrows and Eber Ferreira's art is perfect for the book along with Adriano Lucas' colors. There are times the scene will have a slightly different look to highlight some of the emotion with the characters. You can feel the art really focus and capture who they are and who they were in the old continuity.

Detective Comics is a Rebirth title that hit the ground running. While some of the other books are focusing on setting up their new direction, James Tynion IV delivers an incredible mix of action, storytelling, and character building. Having a bigger cast of characters sets this apart from your typical Batman comic. It's amazing how easily Tynion devotes plenty of time in developing each character while also pushing the story forward. Having superb art by Eddy Barrows and Eber Ferreira and colors by Adriano Lucas makes a great book even better. If you're looking for action, suspense, and developing storylines, you won't want to miss this book.

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I enjoyed this quite a bit! I've never really cared for Batwoman all that much, but maybe this book will end up changing my mind on her.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By TheExile285

James Tynion IV is really killing it with this series. He's done everything I'd want from a team book in these last two issues. Even Clayface is growing on me and I didn't think that would happen.

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

I found the two double spreads to have a little too much dialogue, but it was a really good issue nonetheless and I really enjoyed it. The art really is great and I noticed the parts where the art changes a bit, as well, and I guess it's an interesting touch. They could have gone without it though.

JTMac005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

can't wait to read this. They must have some big plans for clay face. Calling it - he will impersonate batman at some point

Mr___death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I enjoyed this issue so much.. the script and art were spot on.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By MrMazz

Really enjoying this series, I think its because its not a solo-Batman book I respect Batman presence and necessity but man all alone not much. And well Kate Kane, Stephie Brown, Cassandra, and Tim Drake are awesome.

Cheap Plug to User Review

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

@mrmazz said:

Really enjoying this series, I think its because its not a solo-Batman book I respect Batman presence and necessity but man all alone not much. And well Kate Kane, Stephie Brown, Cassandra, and Tim Drake are awesome.

I feel the same way.

casper4690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By casper4690

Overall great issue . I liked Steph's and Tim's interaction . Cain was nice enough to respect their privacy lol Batwoman and basil have me interested. Dialogue between Drake and Bruce was great . I think the only thing that threw me off was the art . Seems like everyone here liked it , but I found it bland at times . Awesome issue

Caivu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Caivu
    @zearing said:

I enjoyed this quite a bit! I've never really cared for Batwoman all that much, but maybe this book will end up changing my mind on her.

She's been pretty spot-on so far. Whether you end up liking her or not, this should give you a relatively fair basis from which to judge as long as Tynion's writing holds up.

I'm in love with this series already. It's doing almost everything I want to see in a team book.

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tynion gets the team concept. So excited to finally read a Batfamily book. If only that hack Morronison had written Batman Inc this well.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By kcomicfan

I really enjoyed this issue.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm loving the direction this book has taken being a team book. Hopefully Tynion can keep the stories focused going forward, unlike the Eternal weekly books they did. Great start so far.

UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Definitely keeping up with this book. This has actually been a pleasant surprise for me. Also, I'm loving the fact that Batman is finally trusting people.

Wilbertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Beforehand I was more excited by Tom King taking over the flagship title although Tynion's love for the Batfamily is well-known. I decided to pick up the last issue in the shop anyways since they had a couple left in stock. I have to admit I was hooked...

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I've yet to read King and Finch's Batman, but I feel like this is the Bat book I've been waiting for. Nothing too messy or high concept. The focus is really on characters and action. I'm liking this a lot.

Soldy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed this much more than King's Batman.

josai34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like Tynion could potentially do well with a TeenTitans it he was allowed to keep Tim and Steph in it

asjmooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I ❤️ Rebirth

Elpizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue was meh at best. These last two issues have not been near the quality of King's Batman

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every character on the issue felt spot on (Tim reall fealt like Tim in this issue).

johnnyyy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i don't like how batmans cape has those weird wrinkles in it

Elpizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KnightofSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another outstanding issue. I find it odd though why Tim is named "Red" Robin when very little of his costume is red. Too bad they didn't go back to his original outfit he donned when he first became RR pre-Flashpoint (the Kingdom Come style); I liked that.

save.me.now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I'm glad to see Batwoman getting some focus. The first 23 issues of her new 52 Solo Book was Easily one of the best( It was second only to Swamp Thing IMO) Solo series DC had at the time. Special recognition goes to her "World's finest" arc with wonder woman.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems that i was rather impressed by this issue, because i saw a dream related to it.

Avatar image for rustyshackleford
    RustyShackleford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loving this so far. I almost didn't pick up this series and I'm so glad I did. Great!!!

Avatar image for jasoninthewoods
    Jasoninthewoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jsphsmth: I never considered Batman Inc a Batfamily book.

The whole thing should have been an out of continuity Elseworlds tale as for as I'm concerned...like most of Morrison's work.

OptimucCrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Favorite book from Rebirth so far.

Dr_Cheesesteak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

pleasantly surprised how good this has been. Arguably one of the best of Rebirth.

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

not bad, bit too wordy though...you open up one of those dialogue-heavy double page spreads and just think, Jesus...

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasoninthewoods: Yep, Morronison's entire six year run is best forgotten by Batman fans.

Batmanfan101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bruce Joseph wayne

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.