mechanisticmoth's Detective Comics #861 - Cutter, Part 1 review

Avatar image for mechanisticmoth

A Wonderful Outing

Wait, this comic doesn’t have the beautiful work of J.H. Williams III in it?  Damn, I’m not picking that up.

Well, you should because this was by far the best read I’ve had in awhile.  Jock’s artwork jaggedly flows flawlessly with Rucka’s script which is not only occasionally surprising, but instantly badass.  Everyone should read this book… and I’m not kidding.  Everyone.  Whether you like comics or not.  Here, we have a kickass superhero who’s a lesbian and uses her defining qualities and sexuality to her advantage rather than letting others objectify her and use those qualities against her.

The thing I loved about this issue was that Batwoman gets stabbed a lot but keeps on fighting like a pro.  The duality of the story in the past with Batman and the story with Batwoman in the present really brings it home that Kate may not have the same amount of training as Bruce did, but she can still hold her own against anyone else in the Bat-family.

God, I loved this.