Follow

Defenders

Team » Defenders appears in 792 issues.

The Defenders are a super-group in the Marvel Universe usually led by Doctor Strange. The team that wasn't a team, often fights against supernatural and magic-based opponents. Protecting humanity from the impossible!

Who wants the core Defenders team back?

Avatar image for the_iron_cavalier
    The Iron Cavalier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By The Iron Cavalier

Personally, I read a lot of old Defenders issues, back from when Hulk, Namor, Strange, and Silver Surfer made up the team. To date, it's probably my favorite team. I read the limited series recently put out, and it was pretty good, but I didn't like the "Silvery Q-tip" look of the Surfer. I really would like these guys to come back in a real series, but thats not realistic anymore, considering Hulk hates Namor and Strange right now. And in the Ultimates universe, Hulk is kinda dead. What do you think about reviving the team?

Silvercomet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Silvercomet

That the only way to do it, err that is the 2nd wave of Defenders, Hellcat, Valkarie, Gargoyle,and Nighthawk.......Clea and the Doctor would be cool to.

Donnieman v5.1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Donnieman v5.1

I want the core defenders back s bad, they were awesome

avengpymhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By avengpymhawk

To me the core members were Dr. Strange, Nighthawk, Hulk, Valkarie, Hellcat, Hellstrom, and Gargoyle. It would be cool to add the Black Knight into that mix. But come on Blazing Skull and Colossus as Defenders? It sounds like somebody just thrown in a bunch of chracters he likes to make a team, and Marvel approved it.

lboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By lboy

avengpymhawk says:

"To me the core members were Dr. Strange, Nighthawk, Hulk, Valkarie, Hellcat, Hellstrom, and Gargoyle. It would be cool to add the Black Knight into that mix. But come on Blazing Skull and Colossus as Defenders? It sounds like somebody just thrown in a bunch of chracters he likes to make a team, and Marvel approved it. "

maybe a little luke cage/ powerman

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By fesak  Moderator

The Defenders concept never really worked anyway. Just a bunch of random characters that weren't used elsewhere.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#7  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I want Captain America,Toro,Human Torch,Starhawk,and Bucky back....

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By fesak  Moderator

Vance Astro says:

"I want Captain America,Toro,Human Torch,Starhawk,and Bucky back...."

You mean Invaders? Maybe you should check out the upcoming Avengers/Invaders series.

Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Hadrelius

I think the New Avengers should be the Defenders. The changes I would do would be 1)No Dr Strange 2)Ronin back as Hawkeye 3)Add Nighthawk and another female character that flys and has some sort of power (Firestar maybe) 4)Spiderman and Wolverine become part-timers who come when needed. They should also have ties to the Avengers (like they currently do).

This team would deal with street level events as well as major events (nothing galactic).

Namor or the Hulk should never be on a team. Their characters are better loners. Strange is too powerful for a team like this and should be a Mighty Avenger, but more like someone they can call when the need is great.

Mighty Thorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 34

#10  Edited By Mighty Thorion

Recreating teams / titles from the past doesn't always work well. Sometimes we just have to be thankful for the issues we have and hope that any future versions of said teams don't disappoint.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#11  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

fesak says:

"Vance Astro says:
    "I want Captain America,Toro,Human Torch,Starhawk,and Bucky back...."
    You mean Invaders? Maybe you should check out the upcoming Avengers/Invaders series."

Yea.I wasn't saying they were the defenders I was just saying I would like to see that team again.

Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hadrelius

Mighty Thorion says:

"Recreating teams / titles from the past doesn't always work well. Sometimes we just have to be thankful for the issues we have and hope that any future versions of said teams don't disappoint."

Well Said!

POHOCOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By POHOCOM

I loved the Defenders as a kid, but I think it would be difficult to make that lineup fly

today. Surfer, Strange, Hulk (any version of Hulk), and Namor could appear together mabey in a limited series, but not a regular series. It would be impossible to explain those guys being together on a regular basis today. Sort of like New Avengers.

BatDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BatDance
    As a group I think the Defenders are too powerful so it would cause a writers problem

whats the point in having these over powered bricks when the enemies you face are as weak as Doctor Octopus, Red Skull, Magneto, Osborn, Sabretooth

The classic Defenders would stomp most of the villains in the Marvel Universe today
    without breaking a sweat
    OhTru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By OhTru
    @fesak said:
    "The Defenders concept never really worked anyway. "
    How dare you! 

milleniumcyke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By milleniumcyke

I don't think the big four would work these days. They're too "big." You can't get away with the standby stuff like you could back in the day or readers will cry foul. How many times can Namor get mad or Hulk hate everyone and want to leave or Dr. Strange whip up some crazy spell to save the day, before it gets old?

celestial_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By celestial_man

what i would like to see is Defenders stories that are new that are set in the past something akin to X-men the hidden years/ firstclass  the untold tales of spiderman  just as i dont think it would be possible to do  a core defenders team the present marvel climate

Hoboseid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hoboseid

i think Fraction has a good plan for them

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.