Deadpool #1

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Deadpool is back and in a bigger way than before. Like many, I enjoyed the character but there came a time we started getting Deadpool-overload. The previous volume by Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn made Deadpool fun to read once again. The series didn't rely on the same gag throughout and we even saw some layers given to the character. When the long-running series was marked to end, along with all the other Marvel titles, we knew Deadpool would be back but the fear was it'd be with a different creative team.

The good news is, Gerry Duggan is back along with Mike Hawthorne doing pencils. What Duggan doesn't do is simply pick up where the previous volume left off. Deadpool is a bigger deal now. If you read UNCANNY AVENGERS #1, also written by Duggan, you're probably aware of Deadpool's higher status now in the Marvel Universe. Despite being a mercenary, he is now somewhat of a celebrity overseeing a massive merchandising empire which is funding the Avengers team he's on. Seeing Deadpool as more accepted in the Marvel U is odd for sure but it does give that sense of, "What the heck is going on?"

Along with Deadpool's new status, he's also selling his services to those in need. Without saying too much, let's just say he'll have some others working for him, which makes things interesting and, of course, humorous at times. Even though there is a new direction happening, Duggan obviously hasn't forgotten what's gone on before and isn't ignoring it. That, and the fact that he's also writing Deadpool's appearances in UNCANNY AVENGERS, gives a nice sense of cohesion. Too many times when we see characters written by numerous creators, the common voice tends to get a little lost.

Hawthorne's pencils with Terry Pallot's inks and Val Staples colors looks great. From the opening scene to seeing the other characters with a new look, this is simply a really nice looking book. There are panels you'll want to pause to just look at everything going on in the background. The little cameos even serve to remind us of the bigger world Deadpool is in. It's great to see some familiar DEADPOOL characters along with some others from the Marvel Universe show up.

As with some other All-New, All-Different Marvel titles, there is that sense of wondering what happened during the eight months after Secret Wars. It's hard to say how this series will be and what direction it'll go in. Is the current status semi-permanent or does the cliffhanger at the end signify something else is bubbling beneath the surface? The same goes with some of the characters working with Deadpool. Some are cool to see. A couple might be a little questionable.

Deadpool is back with with his own series once again and all is right with the world. This isn't Deadpool as you've seen before, especially since the public in the Marvel Universe actually adores him. It's almost like he's in some bizarro world. Gerry Duggan has more than proven he gets who Deadpool is and should be. Having him back at the helm is fantastic. We've sometimes seen Deadpool written different and just not feel right. Mike Hawthorne's pencils along with Terry Pallot's inks and Val Staples colors makes the book look good. It looks so good, you might even say it looks sexy. Where is this series taking Deadpool? I have absolutely no idea but I can't wait to find out.

justinisdrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

picked up this one and Extraordinary X-Men, can't wait to read them!

Protoflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue just really bothered me because it felt like all the emotional progression that went on in the previous volume didn't really matter or even happen. Also, and this is just a weird thing for me, I don't like that he is estranged from his wife. She was my favorite character from the previous volume and it feels like she is being made into a weird joke like, "Remember when we had deadpool get married? That was weird right?" I just don't think this whole "8 months later" thing is working for every title and this is a prime example of that. I guess what i'm saying is this book just isn't that funny to me.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought one, ill give it a read tonight

tx12100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This And Extraordinary X Men.

cerial442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

I liked this, I want to see where this goes. It's just the first issue, so I'm sure the stuff with his wife and child will be brought back.

ryankfife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ryankfife

@protoflash: Agree on the humour part. Other than the fact that some of the "other" Deadpools seem quirky. Could be the lack of Posehn.

Having said that, I can appreciate a more mysterious story with Deadpool being at the center. It was nice to see some continuity with characters from the previous volume along with the inclusion of his avenger status. I'm sure the Shiklah thing will be fleshed out. Duggan seems to know what he's doing.

Avatar image for currentthor2015
    CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I enjoyed Gwenpool's debut in Howard The Duck more than this.

Lantern1210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty good first issue. Definitely enjoyed it. I'll be picking up issue #2 and this seems like an all new all different title that I'll be keeping.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.