Follow

Deadpool

Movie » Deadpool released on February 12, 2016.

Feature film for the Merc with a Mouth that is known for its crude humor and its fun nature.

Deadpool

• 106 results
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided

In Deadpool, thug-for-hire Wade Wilson develops cancer and undergoes a treatment to get super-powers, which will also cure the cancer inside of his as well. The treatment gives him healing powers, at the cost of his face, and he goes on a mission to get back his girlfriend, Vanessa and destroy the man who ruined his face, Francis. Insanity ensues.

This is the raunchiest comic book film from either the Marvel or DC camp yet, yes more than Punisher: War Zone or the Blade films, all of which were also Rated R. Frankly, it was a bit of a shock to see a movie with so much swearing, violence, and sex. Did that take away from the overall film? Not at all. In fact, it's something that really set it apart from the rest of the superhero films we've seen in the past few years. This is a character that doesn't hold back, and it shows, as he has no problem killing people around him nor keeping track of how many people he's killed.

This movie battles with the idea of "what is a superhero" and the morality of superheroes. This isn't something the audience will notice until Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead enter the picture. Colossus is a typical hero and embodies everything the X-Men stand for. He sees good within Deadpool, and this is the point where the audience is challenged with the "what is a superhero" question. Deadpool isn't out saving the world. He's out hunting the man the scarred him, and he has no boundaries.

Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool is a perfect fit. There's no other way to describe it. He dominates the role and it truly feels like Wade Wilson has come straight from the comic pages and onto the screen, minus the yellow caption boxes. They don't exist here. While X-Men Origins: Wolverine was utterly unfamiliar with the concept of Deadpool and did its own thing, Deadpool embraces almost everything about the character, and all-in-all, Reynold's performance gives this character heart and there's an emotional complexity to him, believe it or not.

Here's where the movie slips a bit. Structurally, it's a bit of a mess. It's a mishmash of two different stories with Deadpool leading the way. The first story is who Wade Wilson became Deadpool, which is randomly intercut between the present day story of Deadpool hunting down Francis AKA Ajax. It feels randomly spliced together, with transitions from the narration, as the movie trots along. At times, it becomes a bit frustrating as the audience starts getting really into one story and it jumps back to the other.

No Caption Provided

However, the glue that's holding all of this together is truly the dialogue. The back and forth between Wade and Vanessa, played by Morena Baccarin, is fantastic. It's quick and snappy, and when we first meet Vanessa, she's the perfect fit for Wade because as he puts it "your kind of crazy matches my kind of crazy." The relationship between them, while sometimes bizarre, actually makes this a romance to the point where I felt like the viral marketing for the film, saying this is the perfect Valentine's Day film, isn't too far off. Unfortunately, aside from these scenes in the past, Vanessa becomes pretty flat in the second half of the film. Her character just doesn't fit the later parts of the film because this is more of a story about Wade. However, together, this team was wonderful.

Colossus was great in the film but looked really weird. It wasn't his design or look though. The CG just seemed weird and out of place in the film. It just looked like he didn't fit in with everything else, which felt a bit more grounded. Strangely enough, Negasonic Teenage Warhead, although she didn't say much, was fantastic. Brianna Hildebrand played a moody teenager well and Deadpool played off of that, making fun of her quite a bit. It was surprisingly a great addition to the film.

No Caption Provided

The movie is incredibly funny, and there are tons of moments that poke fun at Ryan Reynolds and his past movie choices. Some of the jokes may be a bit too much for some people, but that's the beauty of humor, it's subjective. Be prepared for some "blue" humor because that's what this movie delivers, and it delivers it extremely well. Wade breaks the fourth wall quite a bit, but for the most part, it really works, especially when he discusses the fact he's in a movie and that the studio couldn't afford some things. This is the Deadpool fans deserve.

Fans of the Deadpool comics will have a lot of Easter Eggs. There was actually a lot of things that have not been revealed that appeared in the film. The best part is that they're done in such a way that it won't distract the average movie-goer. It's like a nice little wink and a nod to fans. We get things like TJ Miller as Weasel, who isn't on screen too much, but it's a nice addition to the cast. Then, there are a few other things which I'm dying to talk about, but it's better if you check it out for yourself so you can be surprised.

No Caption Provided

Deadpool was a character I just wasn't sure was going to work on the big screen. While there were some flaws with the structure of the film and some characters falling flat in the final act, to make way for other characters, Deadpool was a really fun film. This is a great way to start off the year, as far as comic book movies go. It's funny, insane, full of action and violence, and a part of me is glad fans have an adult comic book to watch, since everything else seems a bit watered down for mass audiences. It's not perfect, but it's something that fans and regular folks everywhere will love.

Is there a post-credit sequence?

Yes. It's all the way at the end of the credits. It's well worth the wait. Spoilers below.

Deadpool comes out in a bathrobe and makes fun of the audience for still being in the theater and announced Deadpool 2 and says that Cable will be in it. He then makes jokes about how would play the character.

What did you think of the film? Please black out spoilers in the comment section for those who haven't seen it.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

I just jumped passed the review to ask, does if it contains spoilers? Probably not right?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 the_stegman  Moderator

Seeing it in a few hrs. Still meh on my excitement levels, but I hope it impresses me.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@d9000: only the bit blocked out by the spoiler bar

tuckboarder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Now get out of here, I bet it's gonna feel huge in this hand." this quote is why I loved this movie, well one of many.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a fan of comedies because us usually the jokes come out forced. Almost all the jokes in this film felt natural, and we're pretty hilarious. There's a joke that Deadpool makes when someone answers the door to their house and I swear until then i had never laughed so hard in a movie theater.

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

It sounds like dudebros and the ADD crowd will absolutely love this.

cpt_nice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait to go see it.

Stellar421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I LOVED it! Every minute!

Stellar421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Now get out of here, I bet it's gonna feel huge in this hand." this quote is why I loved this movie, well one of many.

My favorite part was when he said the studio couldn't afford more than 2 X-Men.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@d9000: I tried to keep it as spoiler-free as possible

Stellar421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@d9000 said:

I just jumped passed the review to ask, does if it contains spoilers? Probably not right?

It kinda does. I wouldn't read it until you've seen the movie.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By goonage

which will also cure the cancer inside of his as well

Which will also cure the cancer inside of him as well.

I'm watching this movie tomorrow. Hoping it's as good as everybody says it is.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13  Edited By SaintWildcard

My problem with the movie was the it was too short. And not cus I loved it so much that I needed more, but because certain things need more fleshing out IMO. Specifically the villain and DP's history with the X-Men. Heck, even as CBM"s go, this was a short one overall. I think it was only like 1h40min. That's most likely due to it having a 55 million dollar budget. All in all, it was still a a very good movie and will probably take the crown away from GOTG as funniest CBM. It's not an 10/10, but I'd say around an 8.5/10

Sebast_Allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You forgot to add the fifth star. This sets the bar impossibly high for Superhero movies the rest of this year, this movie was beautiful.

Stellar421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Stellar421

@saintwildcard: I was waiting for them to actually say "Weapon X." And I was a little disappointed Wade's healing factor didn't come from Wolverine.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

4 stars is accurate

~MiB

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego Will this make the front page sir? Or is it relegated to Forum obscurity to keep people going to Gamespot for the review? ;)

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@avatar_of_green said:

@inferiorego Will this make the front page sir? Or is it relegated to Forum obscurity to keep people going to Gamespot for the review? ;)

It's promoed on the front page

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stellar421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, am I the only one who thought the ship from the final battle looked suspicously like a Helicarrier?

_Genesis_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sweet I'm sold

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

COLOSSUS

derekvang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh... saw it last night. It was an okay movie at best for me

Avatar image for victorcheenoanleu
    victorcheenoanleu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Mcavoy or Stewart?!" That's it, I'm done. It's a laugh out loud film, some people in the theater I was in didn't get all the jokes & im sure most people won't but it's a good movie. 8/10 for me. My overall favorite was Colossus though. Sure the CGI wasn't great, but cmon this is the first time they got it right with him.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

Everything was perfect except Colossus. He was campy and lame. They should hav brought back Cudmore. Man of few words. He let his actions do the talking.

JarlaxleBaenre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JarlaxleBaenre

Deadpool came in and swept us off our feets, so good. DAT pegging scene, so fucking hot! Move over Marvel Studios, after that shitshow that was AOU. Fox Marvel looks to be taking the title if they continue along with the nitty/gritty side of the X-men OR Marvel Knights for that matter (which i think would be a netflix thing,renamed to the original name Defenders).

5 out of 5 ChimiFUCKINchongas.

GBandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh now you like it, Huh? I been telling people Reynolds was the guy to Play Deadpool for years!

Everyone was like: No! I dnt want Van Wilder to ruin Deadpool, WAH WAH WAH, SHUT UP!

Guess what?! 12 million dollars on a Thursday! It already shattered the R rated movie opening record and sent the Hangover 2 straight to hell! Woooooo!!!

I ve been waiting so long for this fillm!!!!

I WATCHED IT LAST NIGHT AND IM STILL HYPED!

I even made this drawingggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No Caption Provided

Suck it nerds :P

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
    AlwaysBeClothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Very fair review, you touched on the things I felt detracted from the movie. At first I felt like I was too smarky for the jokes early on but the film won me over. I would definitely place the movie over either of the Wolverine vehicles.

Only thing I might say is that I found Colossus' look to be fine, but was more disappointed in his character. Though to be fair, I don't know enough about Colossus to know if it was out of character either. He just felt one dimensional, but that's on purpose.

Very solid and very fun movie, great review!

Madripoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh.

Tattacus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved it despite a couple little things as mentioned already, i.e Weapon X/Wolverine not mentioned, etc. But I can get past that. Too many funny scenes but I think the funniest might have been the baby hand. Gonna go again next week since I get 2 for 1 tickets.

Also, am I the only one who thought the ship from the final battle looked suspicously like a Helicarrier?

That was my first thought too.

dauntes_patron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to disagree with you Matt, this movie is as perfect as Deadpool can possibly get. I thought the story was told very well with a lot of substance and still leaving plenty of room for action. I think the switching back and fourth in the story was just fine, we see the typical superhero story so often (regular guy has problems, then gets powers, becomes hero and saves the day) where it takes about 30 to 40 minutes for the audience to finally see the "superhero". So it was a nice switch to have the film go right to the action and into meeting Deadpool in all his glory. Only 2 things bothered me (but not that much because there were some surprises that totally make up for it) 1. There were no voices in his head but currently in his comics the voices are gone so I let it slide. 2. The violence and cursing are fine but what worries me is that they werekinda building for Deadpool to appear in future X-men films but X-men films are PG-13, so are we going to get a completely watered down Deadpool when that time comes? Or are we going to start getting rated R X-men films? (I doubt it)

Maybe I'm too much of a fan but to me this was 6 stars lol.

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 inferiorego  Staff
    Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deadpool comes out in a bathrobe and makes fun of the audience for still being in the theater and announced Deadpool 2

So he pretty much Ferris Bueller the audience. I am that old?

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

There was one small thing about the way that this movie ended that I felt like it didn't fit with the themes of Deadpool, but overall I was very enthused by how well this movie represented what Deadpool in the comics is, burns and all.

kevinwalsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"He then makes jokes about how would play the character". I think you mean WHO buddy.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 the_stegman  Moderator

It was pretty good!

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#41 JediXMan  Moderator

I liked it.

PrimeEarth2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PrimeEarth2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed this movie, 4.5/5 from me

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Only complaint is he cursed too much.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#45  Edited By saoakden

Is this movie like the Green Band trailers or Red Band trailers?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Avatar_of_Green

Wasnt as dirty as it seems, not bad at all.

Good film.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

Going to see this Saturday. Looking forward to it.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@saoakden said:

Is this movie like the Green Band trailers or Red Band trailers?

Definitely red band, and then some. Trust me, it spares no expense.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This Movie WAS GREAT!!!!! I LOVED EVERYTHING ABOUT IT.

DANG YOU FOX!!!!!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved it. Colossus was great.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.