Follow

Deadpool

Character » Deadpool appears in 3327 issues.

Wade Wilson is a former test subject of the Weapon X program, where he received his regenerative healing factor through the scientific experiments conducted upon him. A prominent enemy, ally and later, member of X-Force. He's famous for breaking the Fourth Wall.

why deadpool is being overexposed

RonSiconolfi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RonSiconolfi

deadpool is just "making up for lost time"  deadpools rebirth from way--put him on the map -and marvel knows he sells
    i think marvel wants him as an A-lister now since hes marketable and putting him everywhere till hes on the official A-list 

so yes this overexposure will stop-prob in a year
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Gylan Thomas

They're milkin' that cash cow before it drys up.
    Same thing happened with Punisher. Heck, even X-stuff's losin' steam these days.

Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Shadowdoggy

I sort of hope so 
    it's gone way past the point of over saturation - it's ridiculous
    I'm over him 
    let's move on, shall we? 
    there ARE other funny superheroes, you know, ones who aren't quite as annoying and overused
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By danhimself

as long as people continue to buy all the stuff with Deadpool in it then they're going to continue making more

ofaaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ofaaron

Deadpool is an alright character, but most of his stuff lately is so juvenile.

He only works in small doses. Lets please go back to small doses.

Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Shadowdoggy
    @ofaaron:
    agreed 
    smaller doses would be great
    arcanineryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By arcanineryu

what i think is happening is that marvel is haveing a supreamlly hard time getting new characters to rise to fame. i mean who was the last new charater that rose to fame? i honestlly cant think of any. all the fameous characters are old ones, and whenever they try to make a new character it just never catches on.  
    like sentry, they tryed to make it seem like he was some forgotten creation of stan lee (he wasent) to make him sell as a character, which diddnt work as everyone was happy with his death. he proves that they are fully aware of the difficulty of createing a sucsessful new character. 
    so since they cant seem to make anything new to shake things up, they insted turn to the charaters almost nobody paid attention to. deadpool represents a rare oportunity for marvel. everythings in place for them to make him into the first sucsessful charecter since stan lee's stuff, something that marvel almost desperatelly needs.
    Miss Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Miss Marvel

I think people need to give Deadpool a break. Yeah he may be every where but so are a lot of other heros. The only problem i have with DP is that some of the writers are messing him up! Like Deadpool: Merc with a Mouth, i honestly think that those are NOT good comics and i LOVE Deadpool. Change is good but only if's a good change. There making almost every DP comic all about women and their lack of clothing which is not how DP should be if you ask me. I luv DP and the fact that he's become bigger and with more issues, i luv it but only if they don't mess him up.
    Avatar image for ultimatedeadpool
    DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By DEADPOOL
    @Miss Marvel said:

"I think people need to give Deadpool a break. Yeah he may be every where but so are a lot of other heros. The only problem i have with DP is that some of the writers are messing him up! "

I agree. Everywhere I look people seem to be mad that Deadpool has a couple of his own series' and has actually started guest-starring in other books once in a while... it's almost like people forget that popular characters make regular guest appearances in other comics, and sometimes have more than one comic of their own. The most notorious of these characters are Spider-Man and Wolverine in Marvel; they each star in a couple of their own series', and they have frequent flyer miles with all of the comics they guest star in. That combined with saturating the market with Spider-Man and Wolverine merchandise, having them in every cartoon, movie, video game, shirt, hat, etc. Is it really so wrong for Deadpool to have some popularity after over a decade of being Marvel's secret treasure that they didn't want to share? 

And yes, some writers handle Deadpool better than others. I think the problem is that each writer either has a different sense of humor and/or many writers don't know how to balance "Commando, Phantom of the Opera, and Caddyshack" (as Ryan Reynolds once used to describe Deadpool). Nowadays the "Phantom of the Opera" aspect is a kinda rare and it's a tug-of-war between "Commando" and "Caddyshack," and it's the later that usually wins, overall making Deadpool a fun character but otherwise looked down on.
    Miss Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Miss Marvel
    @DEADPOOL:
    Word.
    Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Night Thrasher

By show of hands how many of you:  
    Read every Superman book every month? 
    Read every Batman book every month? 
    Read every Wolverine or Spider-Man book every month? 
    Read all the X-Men books? 
    Deadpool is only getting the same exposure that all these characters are getting.  
    How many of you think Superman is overexposed? He appears in many more books each month than Deadpool. The reason is he has a fan base, the same as Deadpool. If people didn't buy the books or liked the character, then there wouldn't be a need for so many appearances. 

sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By sexy_merc

I haven't read a Deadpool comic since his years before becoming a mercenary and Joe Kelly's run. I did however, collect the Cable and Deadpool TPB volumes. If they keep writing him Deadpool at this rate, they should at least be good.

RonSiconolfi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RonSiconolfi
    @Miss Marvel said:
    "I think people need to give Deadpool a break. Yeah he may be every where but so are a lot of other heros. The only problem i have with DP is that some of the writers are messing him up! Like Deadpool: Merc with a Mouth, i honestly think that those are NOT good comics and i LOVE Deadpool. Change is good but only if's a good change. There making almost every DP comic all about women and their lack of clothing which is not how DP should be if you ask me. I luv DP and the fact that he's become bigger and with more issues, i luv it but only if they don't mess him up. "

yup--so do alot of people and thats why its been cancelled 

writers love the fact that he cant die and can regenerate---so in almost every issue--deadpool either dies or gets mutilated somehow. yes deadpool cant die--but they dont have to always kill him. classic deadpool never got killed every other issue
    blade hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By blade hunter

I really dont have any time for deadpool anymore and the fanboys are soooooooo annoying and some of them are up there with the DBZ fanboys.

Avatar image for crimsoncomedian
    CrimsonComedian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CrimsonComedian
    @DEADPOOL: When Deadpool was in the middle of his 'hero thang' not so long ago. People got annoyed because he was with the X-Men and teamed up with Spider-Man, but they forget... THEY were in HIS comic. Not the other way around. 

Another thing is that Deadpool isn't really that annoying... Comics started off as humorous, childish plot kind of things. All they've done with Deadpool is bring that back but put some action to it. Y'all are wastin' your time fussin' over it now. Your annoyance towards this character would have been valid and maybe people would have cared about it 80 years ago, but not now.
    CrimsonComedian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CrimsonComedian
    @blade hunter: Stop being a hypocrite. You're probably a fanboy over either something more important in life to you or something less important to everyone else. Like... football. Not saying you're into it or anything, but if you were - you'd probably be a fanboy to that like someone else is a fanboy to a comic series or a tv show or an actor.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#17  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @DEADPOOL said:
    " @Miss Marvel said:

"I think people need to give Deadpool a break. Yeah he may be every where but so are a lot of other heros. The only problem i have with DP is that some of the writers are messing him up! "

I agree. Everywhere I look people seem to be mad that Deadpool has a couple of his own series' and has actually started guest-starring in other books once in a while... it's almost like people forget that popular characters make regular guest appearances in other comics, and sometimes have more than one comic of their own. The most notorious of these characters are Spider-Man and Wolverine in Marvel; they each star in a couple of their own series', and they have frequent flyer miles with all of the comics they guest star in. That combined with saturating the market with Spider-Man and Wolverine merchandise, having them in every cartoon, movie, video game, shirt, hat, etc. Is it really so wrong for Deadpool to have some popularity after over a decade of being Marvel's secret treasure that they didn't want to share?  And yes, some writers handle Deadpool better than others. I think the problem is that each writer either has a different sense of humor and/or many writers don't know how to balance "Commando, Phantom of the Opera, and Caddyshack" (as Ryan Reynolds once used to describe Deadpool). Nowadays the "Phantom of the Opera" aspect is a kinda rare and it's a tug-of-war between "Commando" and "Caddyshack," and it's the later that usually wins, overall making Deadpool a fun character but otherwise looked down on. "
    The difference between Deadpool's cameos in comparison to Spider-Man,Wolverine,and other more popular characters is more times than not at all when those characters make a cameo in another comic it's not JUST to boost their popularity. They actually do something significant that fits well within the story. Reading Dark Reign over now i've seen dozens of Deadpool cameos that could have been totally deleted from the comic and the outcome of the story would be exactly the same. It's understood that Marvel wants to make Deadpool more popular so they give him a bunch of miniseries. It's a good gimmick. People who aren't very familiar will look on the shelves and see a bunch of different  comics dedicated to one character and automatically assume he must be important at Marvel. This can be done with any character.All of these threads keep getting made because out of all the DP miniseries only like one of them was worth the read and out of all of his cameos..none of them were significant.
    blade hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By blade hunter
    @CrimsonComedian said:
    " @blade hunter: Stop being a hypocrite. You're probably a fanboy over either something more important in life to you or something less important to everyone else. Like... football. Not saying you're into it or anything, but if you were - you'd probably be a fanboy to that like someone else is a fanboy to a comic series or a tv show or an actor. "
    How am i hypocrite? all i said that some of the DP fanboys get on my nerves.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#19  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @blade hunter said:
    " @CrimsonComedian said:
    " @blade hunter: Stop being a hypocrite. You're probably a fanboy over either something more important in life to you or something less important to everyone else. Like... football. Not saying you're into it or anything, but if you were - you'd probably be a fanboy to that like someone else is a fanboy to a comic series or a tv show or an actor. "
    How am i hypocrite? all i said that some of the DP fanboys get on my nerves. "
    He's implying that you are a fanboy so you're a hypocrite for raggin on another characters fanboys.
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Primmaster64

I don't know.

blade hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By blade hunter
    @Vance Astro said:
    " @blade hunter said:
    " @CrimsonComedian said:
    How am i hypocrite? all i said that some of the DP fanboys get on my nerves. "
    He's implying that you are a fanboy so you're a hypocrite for raggin on another characters fanboys. "
    I know what he's implying mate.
    CrimsonComedian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CrimsonComedian
    @blade hunter: And it also seems you're somewhat of a DBZ fanboy. Seeing as you have the highest majority of points in editing the Goku page.
    blade hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By blade hunter
    @CrimsonComedian said:
    " @blade hunter: And it also seems you're somewhat of a DBZ fanboy. Seeing as you have the highest majority of points in editing the Goku page. "
    iv got 4000 points on that page yet i have 69000 points overall so its not really a majority and if u look though some DBZ threads u'll see i dislike and have a go most DBZ fans now dont carry this on its a pointless argument.
    ofaaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ofaaron
    @Night Thrasher: 
    Even though I don't like all of those characters... They are some of the most iconic comic book characters that exist. Especially Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man. I don't think a lot of people think of Deadpool as being 4th on that list in terms of the most iconic super heroes, but it certainly seems like he is getting treated as such. 

If there is money in it, they'll make 'em though. I have no argument against that. People certainly seem to be buying them. But its a bubble that will bust. In a few years there will still be a ton of Spider-Man, Superman, and Batman books, but I don't think I can say the same about Deadpool.

I don't dislike the character. I think that this overexposure is doing the most harm to Deadpool, actually. Its going to turn a decent, likable character into something the industry is just annoyed of.
    Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By Night Thrasher
    @ofaaron: True, but those characters were not always iconic. Superman started in Action Comics, within a few years he already had two more regular books, plus a team book he regularly appeared in. Same with Batman. Spider-Man took a little longer, but still, sales dictated his second title. If he's overexposed then the sales will show, if not then he will continue to appear in those titles. Obviously someone is buying the books, so until they stop buying those books then Deadpool will get the exposure the sales say he deserves.
    Rabbit Tots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Rabbit Tots

My poor, poor Wade... Will things ever be the same?

Avatar image for the_ace_of_knaves
    the ace of knaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Vance Astro:  no... marvel are making so many deadpool books BECAUSE he is popular and sells. why would they spend money making a book, if it doesn't sell? they make the books because they DO sell.  i totally don't agree with this over exposure, as i've said many times. but at the end of the day... money talks and at the moment deadpool=$$$

as for the Dark Reign? he didn't have ANY cameos in the main books. he was only in his own book, 2 T-Bolts books and 2 Ms Marvel books.

And if you actually read any of Deadpools books, you'd realize he did have a purpose to be involved... Nick Fury hired Deadpool to steal genetic information on the Skrulls... Deadpool was sending it to Nick Fury... but Norman Osborne hacked it and intercepted it. Genetic information which led to Osborne being very effective during the Skrull War at the end of S.I. So Deadpool went out to get revenge on Osborne... then Osborne claimed Deadpool was a traitor in colusion with the Skrulls... plus Osborne wanted Deadpool dead because he knew Osborne's nefarious plans. Basically, Deadpool was partly responsible for Osborne becoming a national hero and rising to power. He had every right to be involved.
    d0npierre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By d0npierre

Don't like it, don't read it.

RonSiconolfi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RonSiconolfi

me--i love the overexposure simply becuz i can NEVER get enough deadpool

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.