Follow

Deadpool

Character » Deadpool appears in 3332 issues.

Wade Wilson is a former test subject of the Weapon X program, where he received his regenerative healing factor through the scientific experiments conducted upon him. A prominent enemy, ally and later, member of X-Force. He's famous for breaking the Fourth Wall.

Planned Deadpool animated series cancelled by FX

Robert2928

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I personally think Disney buying the film rights have something to do with this and not what was claimed in the article:

“Due to creative differences, FX, Donald Glover, Stephen Glover and Marvel Television have agreed to part ways on Marvel’s ‘Deadpoolanimated series,” FX said in a statement Saturday. “FX will no longer be involved with the project. FX and Marvel have an ongoing relationship through our partnership on ‘Legion,’ which will continue.”

Well we got a game, a movie but I guess an animated series is pushing our luck for the merc with a mouth. Our mouse overlords have spoken.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disney did nothing. Fox will overexpose DP if given the chance

FangDaNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:

Disney did nothing. Fox will overexpose DP if given the chance

MaverickMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its not disney, donald was simply trying to make deadpool something completely different. Disney cant even say anything when it comes to fox characters, as the deal isnt finalized

Robert2928

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly Deadpool was already overexposed. Where have you guys been? lol Once he became an Avenger, had a spinoff series about his wife, a spinoff series about rainbow deadpools doing things he couldn't because he was an Avenger, etc. I mean seriously there was a Deadpool section at the seasonal Spirit Halloween store. As in a "general super hero section" and a "deadpool section." I remember a time when I would wear my Deadpool costume and be called Spider-Man and nowadays I am surprised when I DON'T see someone with some sort of Deadpool merchandise when I'm out and about.

@maverickmaster

I'm sure Disney had nothing to do with it just like I'm sure Disney hasn't been downplaying the X-Men since the MCU movies got popular, I'm sure Disney didn't try to replace the X-Men with the Inhumans and I'm definitely sure after the Inhumans didn't catch on like they hoped (aka flopped) Disney didn't suddenly want to get the X-Men film rights back after the positive reception of movies like "Deadpool" and "Logan." Nope. Disney dindu nuffin lol

Unless something has changed or I was mistaken Fox just has the "Film rights" to characters. Outside of the movies it is STILL Disney's property. Usually I am neutral when it comes to companies but Disney seems PRETTY suspect after the whole Marvel vs Capcom Infinite situation. No X-Men aside (I'm sure the Marvel cast being all MCU characters was a coincidence) there were the rumors of artists being told to make the Marvel cast look better than the Capcom cast (http://maroonersrock.com/2017/06/disney-artists-capcom-roster-ugly/) and rumors of those showing the game prior to release being told Marvel Characters couldn't be defeated in promotion footage or being comboed on. (http://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/03/25/marvel-vs-capcom-infinite-disney-didnt-want-characters-injured/) so I wanna give Disney the benefit of the doubt but...the treatment of the X-Men (likely to spite Fox) along with the rumors about "special treatment" of Marvel characters in Marvel vs Capcom Infinite makes skeptical that Disney isn't involved somehow.

Especially since based on the info given apparently Deadpool would have been similar to "Rick and Morty" since that was an influence for the show (https://www.newstimes.com/entertainment/the-wrap/article/Here-s-How-Donald-Glover-s-Deadpool-12792503.php) so I have to disagree that it would have been something "completely different". If the current climate of "politically correct" comics is anything to go by, Disney having ANY connection to a Rick and Morty style show with "adult humor" that would likely have controversial topics/jokes is probably why the animated series got cancelled.

Which is a shame because 1 season of Deadpool the animated series with adult humor wouldn't even hurt Disney in the slightest...I think our gracious mouse overlords could have thrown us a bone on this one.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.