Follow

Deadpool

Character » Deadpool appears in 3332 issues.

Wade Wilson is a former test subject of the Weapon X program, where he received his regenerative healing factor through the scientific experiments conducted upon him. A prominent enemy, ally and later, member of X-Force. He's famous for breaking the Fourth Wall.

Fox Studios Sues Struggling Mom For Distributing Deadpool Script

• 90 results
    The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By The Lobster

No Caption Provided

Cinema Blend has posted a real crazy article. This is just freaking sad. 

Everyone knows that the Deadpool movie script was leaked a while back, reviews of it have popped up all over the place. Well now the same legal team that sued that man for distributing the Wolverine origins unedited movie, is suing a woman for distributing the Deadpool movie script. What really grinds my gears is that the lawyers aren't out suing the people who leaked it in the first place, they'd rather sue an average ordinary person who only posted a copy of it on a website. 

From McIlvaine's (the woman who is being sued) site..

Two strangers knocked on her door and informed her, in front of her children, 20th Century Fox was suing her for 15 million dollars. Two hours later, after grilling her with questions for two solid hours, they left her stunned and crying in her living room staring at a business card that stated they were “private investigators.”

This was the first contact PJ had from 20th Century Fox regarding a Media Fire online script library she created — and was the day 20th Century Fox filed a law suit against PJ in federal court for fifteen million dollars.

On the same site, McIlvaine describes herself as a struggling screenwriter who sells flowers over the phone by day and writes scripts by night." She says she collected scripts that were already posted online and made a free online library of scripts in order to assist other screenwriters. What makes this all the more of an asshole move on the part of these lawyers is that, as pointed out by Cinemablend, certain sites DID reprint entire excerpts of the script with their review and those articles have been allowed to remain up. Reason? Maybe they are in Fox's pocket, or maybe soccer moms are just easier targets.  

What are your guys thoughts on this crazy piece of news?
    Pacperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Pacperson

awwwww....That really sucks....don't really know what to say but Fox really should leave her alone and go after who leaked the script first, if anyone.

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By iLLituracy

EAT IT, FLOWER SELLING MOM. CRIME DOESN'T PAY. AND NEITHER DOES DISTRIBUTING SCRIPTS OF...STUFF.

Comment Police

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Comment Police

The law is the law.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By danhimself

I really don't know how to feel about this...yeah it sucks that she's a struggling mother but she should have known better than to post a script from an unreleased film from a major studio...but...on the other hand Fox should be going after the people who posted it in the first place and ordering websites to take it down before going after someone who posted it on Mediafire

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Amegashita

I'd probably need more information on the situation, but I do say that it's really sad.  Suing a hard working mom for 15 million when we all know she probably doesn't have that much money in her dreams and despite the fact that there are other sites who leaked it first.  >..>  Heck, instead of scapegoating the lady, go find the actual perpetrator of the leaking and see how much you can sue him for.

sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By sexy_merc

I'm not surprised. They'd do anything for money.

Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool

A dick move on Fox's part but not an unexpected one.

zmann95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zmann95
    @Sexy Merc:
    dude your right.It makes me sad that we live in such a selfish world where money is more important than the wellbeing of another person and her family. :(
    Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Amegashita

This actually sounds like something I'd see on the Colbert Report.

thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#11  Edited By thatlad

her own fault

Avatar image for abnormally_warm_guy
    Abnormally Warm Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

the title of this article alone is biased. It doesn't matter that she's a "struggling mom". She broke the law. However, what they should have done is forced her to take it down. Not sued her. She probably doesn't have that much money anyway.

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By CellphoneGirl

Go after the first people who put the script out, then go after the people who followed their idea.

Avatar image for metatron_da_don
    Metatron_Da_Don

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Metatron_Da_Don

yay bullies
    biggkeem89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By biggkeem89

20 million dollars is a ridiculous amount to charge a struggling mother. Screw Fox

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hahahaha...
    Fox does anything for money.
    Why they belive she have that much money is beyond me.

thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thatlad

Forget the money, it's symbolic amount it's not meant to be paid it's meant to signify the potential loss. 

I've got no sympathy for this woman, think about Wolverine Origins, no matter what you thought about that film the fact was when it was leaked it cost that film money. A lot of people never went to see that movie due to either seeing the pirated/unfinished version or choosing not to watch it on the back of those reviews. 

Luckily it still made a good amount of money but if it hadn't and had lost money due to that leak then who do you think would have paid? Shit roll downwards my friends, the executives and CEO's would still get paid but it would be hard working scriptwriters, crew and various other people who no doubt have families who wouldn't have a job on the next film because of that leak. 

Now Deadpool is a smaller film with less chance of success so her distributing of the script was very damaging. It's not the film studios fault she may not be able to feed her kids, she knew the possible consequences so this is her fault alone. Take some personal responsibility and stop looking for sympathy by posting on your website 

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By Supreme Marvel

It was stupid of her to post the script on-line, however FOX should be going after the ones who leaked it in the first place.

Always hated FOX anyway.

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By agent9149

-________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________-

i don't condone her actions but come on there's no need to do a Hiroshima on the poor woman

thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By thatlad

Why poor woman? She intentionally distributed a film script? Why does she get a pass cos she's a woman and has kids? If anything she should get less leniency from us because she should be more responsible as she has kids.  
    If this was some single guy who done this would you be giving them as much sympathy? 

Fox are going after all involved and I don't blame them, it's a lot of money they invest in movies and this type of behaviour screws us in the end. 

Piracy = less money = less risks by the studios = less chance of good movies being made

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By agent9149
    @thatlad:  i understand what your saying but i think they should not have sued her for that much amount and i also believe that should have went after everyone 

to only go after her and to have such a high amount seems a bit inhumane and unfair and no matter who the person accused was i would still say the same thing
    thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By thatlad

True but like I said it's a symbolic amount, whether they sue her for 100k or 15 mil her life's going to be ruined and it's unlikely they will get their money. But by going for this amount it gives an idea of how much they've lost, possibly deters others from doing it and most importantly it sets a precedent. An important thing in the legal world

Avatar image for ultimatedeadpool
    DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DEADPOOL

I don't see anything wrong with what she did, once something's posted on the internet there is no containing it. If she were selling it then there would be a problem, but it was posted on her free site.

Abnormally Warm Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DEADPOOL: she knowingly distributed something that wasn't hers. 

If everyone else on the internet was jumping off the internet bridge should she have? 

She could end up in an internet ditch somewhere. 

And if she keeps making that internet face it it will be stuck that way.
    Yumulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Yumulu

The moral of this story: Don't post illegal thing on the net from your home computer or big bad Fox will get you.

WhoDunnit101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By WhoDunnit101
    @thatlad said:
    Piracy = less money = less risks by the studios = less chance of good movies being made 
    No Caption Provided
    The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By The Lobster
    @Abnormally Warm Guy said:
    " the title of this article alone is biased. It doesn't matter that she's a "struggling mom". She broke the law. However, what they should have done is forced her to take it down. Not sued her. She probably doesn't have that much money anyway. "
    I just copied the title from comicbookmovie.com since that's where I heard this news.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By Gambit1024

...So does this mean that they won't use that script now that everyone's read it, or...

On a side note, anyone know where to find the script? (jk)

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#29  Edited By xerox_kitty
    " @DEADPOOL: she knowingly distributed something that wasn't hers.  If everyone else on the internet was jumping off the internet bridge should she have? "
    Exactly.  Besides, it's not as if she's being made into a scapegoat, because they'll go after the others who leaked too...
    Abnormally Warm Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The Lobster : well it's bad journalism on their part.
    Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Theodore

yay fox!

emptytomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By emptytomb

She made a big mistake by letting them in or talking to them. They don't have the right to ask her any thing or investigate unless they were police with a warrant. She can counter sue for this. She can also claim she didn't know the script was stolen and that she just copied it of a website but she wasn't the one who leaked out the scripts or stole it literally but just copied something on the internet which is unkown if it was stolen or not. She didn't steal because she didn't steal it from anyone but copied it from a website.  
    Companies should learn to hire responsible and honest people and keep info secret from non employee. Anyone who leaks info should be fired.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WhoDunnit101 said:

" @thatlad said:

No Caption Provided
    "
    Good one, i am sick and tired of this speach, there is a bunch of good movies, but all the big studios, dont let this movies get into the screen, they put crappy one with famous actors and they pay them millions, so they dont work with guys that dont have all that money.
    So, they do wrong things too and they ruin movies, director(Orson Welles), they destroy the good films and they create crappy movies and crappy celebrities. 
    I mean piracy could be a crime, but the guys killing movies are the studios and celebriities.
    thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By thatlad

I'm not saying that this is the only reason for bad movies being out there but lack of money does play a big part in these things. Studios are all about the money, it's the bottom line and decides everything. You cant just blame the execs and let the pirates take no responsibility. 

Let's take a look at MGM, it's a big studio with a very rich history but is suffering from financial constraints. Now because there is not as much money to go around they are focusing on 2 franchises Bond and The Hobbit. These two are near guaranteed to make money so it makes sense to put your eggs in these baskets. So this means there is no money available to take any risks on say a new comic book franchise. Now bad decisions are a big part of MGM's problems but so is piracy, it's naive to think it doesn't play a part. 

The comic industry does it too. When Marvel or DC decide to put out yet another Avengers or Bat-Book but cancels a new book that's just getting into it's stride but not getting stellar figures, you can't blame the company for taking the safer bet. Especially if part of the reason for the low sales is due to people pirating the comic on the web. 

My point is this, there's no single reason for these problems but piracy is a large factor. We all have either benefited from piracy or know someone who has benefited, it is rampant in today's technologically advanced society and it has to be accepted the same way brick and mortar shops accept there will always be some theft/shoplifting. In the same way a shoplifter cant complain when they are prosecuted it would be wrong for someone helping* in piracy to not accept there will be consequences.  

In this case the consequences are quite large but like I said before this $15m sum is symbolic and also as a legal precedent, to set it any lower could make things diffcult from a legal standpoint in future.

*please note I said helping for a reason, this woman was not using the script for personal consumption but was assisting in the distribution.

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't get blood from a turnip ^_-

Fox wont wreck her though, they dont need to. Theyre just making flames and propaganda in the news like 
    they always to defend their turf.

Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Vitality

Wait...are we supposed to feel bad for her? Is that why you added "struggling mom" to the title? 

So basically...she just sucks at life.
    ZombieFanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ZombieFanatic

wow FOX just wow.....always messing things up...

Abnormally Warm Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DeathpooltheT1000: maybe if audiences didn't see movies just for stars the studios would stop making movies just because they have a big names in them.
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatlad:@Abnormally Warm Guy: Star Wars originals and the prequels, most of the actor were not that famous, they become start after they made the movie, Titanic, Avatar, i mean, none of the actor are Brad Pitt style, the Lord of the Rings, the most famous actors were Dracula and Magneto.
    All those movies, without stars, make more money that movies with stars, the fact is, people go to see movies without stars, but the system works in a way to help the guys that are with the studios and destroy the rest, the studios dont let you watch the other movies.
    This explain, why they do so many crap, they have no real conpetition.
    People dont go to watch movies for the stars, main problem, is that today the stars are star for allthe wrong reason, they are famous for being famous and not for being good or care about their job.
    Abnormally Warm Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DeathpooltheT1000: The Star Wars Prequels are filled with Stars. 

As was Lord of the Rings. 

Yes, SOME people see movies without stars. But do you know how many times I've heard "I can't wait to see _____________ it has ______________ in it. I love that person!" The fact is stars sell movies.
    The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By The Lobster
    @Vitality:   I just used the same title as the article I got it from.

If you want my personal opinion I'm glad FOX is out hunting those distributing the script.... HOWEVER why are they hunting the people who downloaded it and not out hunting the person who leaked it instead?  Also 15 million is just a dick move, 15 thousand is understandable.....hell at the beginning of every DVD they have that thing that says you can get a 250 000 dollar fine for copyright infringement so I'd be willing to accept them suing her for 250 000..... 15 million is just mean, and if they honestly expect her to pay that amount then they are cracked in the head. The only person who should be sued 15 million is the guy who leaked the script in the first place.
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#42  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

I love the world.

Abnormally Warm Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The Lobster : maybe they just haven't found who leaked it yet. 

Maybe... just maybe... IT WAS AN INSIDE JOB.... 

wait... it had to be an inside job hence the leak... riiiiiight.
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Abnormally Warm Guy: None of the Star Wars actor of the prequels were stars in the moment they did Episode 1, the most famous guy were, Samuel L Jackson, who was 5 minutes in the episode 1, Liam Neson, Terrence stamp, who is more famous for being Zod.
    The rest of the casting at the Episode 1, were not so famous, not so many people Remember that Keira Knigthly was in the Episode 1, The Lord of The Rings the same, they become famous after they do the Lord of The Rings movies.
    Most of the Casting was TV guys or small role actors.
    You could know, Natalie Portman for Leon, but most of people know her thanks to Star Wars, Ewan was more famous for being in a Chapter of ER that for the movies he did in the UK, Liam was famous, but he never cared about being famous, Keira did only a movie about Robin Hood and was a Tv movie i think.
    Later, they  become super famous.
    They are star thanks fot he fact they were at the Star Wars prequels.
    Abnormally Warm Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DeathpooltheT1000:  

The prequels were filled with at least B listers and IT'S FUCKING STAR WARS ha ha ha. 

Same goes for Lord the Rings despite it not being FUCKING STAR WARS. Lord of the Rings is a big franchise many know. 

The fact is people see movies with stars in them. Because they're stupid.
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#46  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @Comment Police said:
    " The law is the law. "
    i missed you
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

" @DeathpooltheT1000:    The prequels were filled with at least B listers and IT'S FUCKING STAR WARS ha ha ha.  Same goes for Lord the Rings despite it not being FUCKING STAR WARS. Lord of the Rings is a big franchise many know.  The fact is people see movies with stars in them. Because they're stupid. "

No, there is a scientific explanation for that, they are weak, they want to see movies without stars, but they cant, mankind is weak, you cant blame monkeys for do what they instincts tells them.
    Also this once happened with the Harry Potter films, they say, some on posted the script online, we will find him, i remmeber the jokes about the fact, there was a book with the same Story and its was called Harry Potter And the Deathly Hallow or i dont remember, i think it was the one with Robert Patttison one, they decide to find the guy that leaked the script, even when people could buy the book and know what happens in the movie.
    Abnormally Warm Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DeathpooltheT1000: that's really funny actually.
    Haustyl12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49  Edited By Haustyl12

This woman shouldn't have taken the risk. She stole a leaked script and distributed it to everyone else. Trust me Fox is only making an example of her and will look for the jackass who stole it in the first place. I guess that'll teach ya when you f#ck with the movie buisness
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#50  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @zmann95:
    @Metatron_Da_Don:
    @biggkeem89:
    @DeathpooltheT1000:
    @Supreme Marvel:

hey, she broke the law she essentially stole from them and fox probably is looking for the ones who leaked it in the first place. but that still dosent excuse the actions of this woman no matter how hard shes struggling

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.