Follow

Deadpool

Character » Deadpool appears in 3332 issues.

Wade Wilson is a former test subject of the Weapon X program, where he received his regenerative healing factor through the scientific experiments conducted upon him. A prominent enemy, ally and later, member of X-Force. He's famous for breaking the Fourth Wall.

Do you think the Deadpool movie would have grossed better if it wasn't r-rated?

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Edited By jhazzroucher

Poll Do you think the Deadpool movie would have grossed better if it wasn't r-rated? (10 votes)

Definitely YES 20%
    Absolutely NO 40%
    Probably 0%
    a Not r-rated movie would have gross less 40%

The Deadpool movie has already grossed $708,125,280 worldwide as of March 13, 2016 (and is still being shown worldwide) and will outgross Captain America: The Winter Soldier: $714,421,503 next week and is predicted to outgross the all-time highest grossing R-Rated movie The Matrix Reloaded $742,128,461 and Fox'es highest grossing superhero movie X-Men: Days of Future Past $747,862,775

The question is, what are exactly the parts of the Deadpool movie that made it R-rated? Do you think, there's another way to tell the story so it won't be r-rated and still gross well? Because we're talking about hundreds of million of young audiences who would have been able to watch the movie only if it wasn't R-rated.

No Caption Provided

Discuss.

• 
    Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Deadpool is a hit because is the way it is.

The idea that PG13 = Moar Money is a myth.

The bigger your audience is a myth, there is no way a movie could be made for everybody, the fact studios try this, is the reason why Hollywood movies are just plain terrible, if you care for everybody, you never focus in one direction and you movie is just there, there is nothing special about it, this is the reason why movies are terrible, but TV shows are amazing, since they dont care to make their show for everybody, they just care for doing the best they can.

Robert2928

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Of course there is always another way to tell the story. R rated movies are not instantly "better movies." I enjoyed Van Helsing and it was PG-13 but in Deadpool's case it definitely enhanced the movie. I think the R-rating brought more positive attention to the movie.

I mean let's be honest here comic book movies don't really try to "push the envelope" anymore. The way Disney is pumping them out they have become mediocre, predictable and quickly grow "stale" since the movie is just a tie in to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I see this as just an excuse for Disney to make countless mediocre film "tie ins" which essentially become free from criticism because the movie is being judged by it's connection to the cinematic universe and not it's own merits.

Deadpool was a breath of fresh air from all of that and could have easily passed as a "90's action flick" instead of a "comic book movie." The fact that young audiences "couldn't see it" was a brilliant marketing move. Kids always want to do "what they can't do" so this no doubt created buzz for the movie. Not only do those younger audiences want to see it more since they cannot but adults who thought it was "just another superhero movie" now would be like "Why can't kids see this movie?" Not to mention the "This movie isn't safe for children" buzz with people going to see it since they were curious. I don't the a PG-13 Deadpool would have created as much buzz to be honest.

Let Disney take the "for all audiences" approach to their movies. Personally I don't care for the Avengers films (Age of Ultron was the nail in the coffin) but for families it's great with the clear "good vs evil" promoting good morals and stuff. Hopefully Fox will continue with the morally "grey area" where the X-Men, Deadpool and hopefully *crosses fingers* X-Force allowing for older comic book fans to enjoy more mature subjects/stories, brutal fight scenes, etc. that you usually find in R rated films. Perhaps this will allow the super hero genre to coexist and/or merge with action movies so along side Jason Bourne, Jack Reacher, etc. we could get some anti-heroes with super powers kicking ass and taking names in more "not for children" comic book movies. Well that's what I'm hoping at least...

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Probably not. I remember hearing people encouraging others to see it multiple times just to support it as a R rated CBM.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

No way. The big gimmick for this movie was that it was the "first" R rated cbm. It wouldnt have gotten nearly as much hype if that wasnt the case.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.