Follow

Deadpool

Character » Deadpool appears in 3316 issues.

Wade Wilson is a former test subject of the Weapon X program, where he received his regenerative healing factor through the scientific experiments conducted upon him. A prominent enemy, ally and later, member of X-Force. He's famous for breaking the Fourth Wall.

Deadpool Inferno: Sheet-Staining

Abishai100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

We read comic books to escape reality and to talk about the philosophy behind jurisprudence-improvement daydreams (i.e., vigilantism, teamwork, etc.).

Well, Deadpool (Marvel Comics) is not your standard comic book superhero.

In fact, Deadpool is a comic book character who could be used to talk about horror film avatars such as Michael Myers (from the popular Halloween film franchise), since he is very radical and unpredictable.

The epic purgatory poem "The Inferno" (Dante) reveals circles of hellfire and souls in waiting and angst and reflects a civilization fascination with the agony of yearning.

Deadpool represents similar agonies of yearning --- yearning for justice, yearning for sanity, yearning for peace, etc. Because he's so outlandish and eccentric, we use him to talk about the general nature of mankind.

I thought I would start a thread to talk about how Deadpool invokes ideas about the various vigilantism-related circles of hell/meditation: civics frustration, police corruption, crime syndicate success, and heroism profitability.

Do you have a favorite Deadpool story that can be used to talk about paranoia (i.e., hellfire)?

Dante's Inferno

No Caption Provided

Abishai100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Radical Rating

Another important consideration under this same topic/question is how does Deadpool represent a general curiosity about liberty?

He is, after all, an offbeat vigilante with a fighting style characteristic of motion freedom happiness.

No Caption Provided

Abishai100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apollyon: Pit of Pestilence?

Ya know, Deadpool is in scope and dimension a lot like the rapture-mythos avatar Apollyon, a supposed overbearing master of the bottomless-waterless pit.

Both Deadpool and Apollyon signify a social appreciation of complete calamity.

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.