Follow

Deadpool

Character » Deadpool appears in 3319 issues.

Wade Wilson is a former test subject of the Weapon X program, where he received his regenerative healing factor through the scientific experiments conducted upon him. A prominent enemy, ally and later, member of X-Force. He's famous for breaking the Fourth Wall.

Caption Boxes: Yay or Nay

DepartmentK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

One difference that is quite notable between 1993-early 2008 deadpool and 2008-2012 deadpool is the use of seperate voice caption boxes. in 1993-2008, deadpool while having an inner monologue from time to time like many comic characters, these were not seperate voices in his head. from at least early 2008-2012, primairly the "fault" of series writer Daniel Wey, two seperate voices entered in to his head, one with white caption boxes that was more serious in tone trying to keep deadpool focused, the other in yellowboxes trying to keep him unhinged. i have no idea if these seperate voices continue into the 2012-2015 run as I havent started that series yet. anyways, my question is do my fellow readers like or dislke the caption boxes? do you think this addition in effect almost has turned deadpool into a completely different character, for better or worse? On the whole,I have to say I don't like the boxes. They get me to giggle but in many cases only serve to knock me out of the story. the thing I loved about early deadpool was a good balance between wacky slapstick, darkstorytelling, and heartwarming moments. he was axel foley/martin riggs contrasted with wolverines dirty harry. the caption boxes in my opinion throw that wackiness out of balance and hinder the character, as now instead of having to deal wth just one subconcious, he has to deal with three.

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 2

Huge Nay, Huge huge HUUUUGE NAY!

First off, they were introduced with no explanation other than Daniel Way needing an excuse to not need a supporting cast. We didn't get one till years later, when it was revealed the white box was actually Madcap. But that wasn't even Daniel Way who wrote that. Someone else actually had to come along and explain where the heck those voices came from. Daniel Way basically created them as an excuse to be lazy. Besides, Deadpool was usually the kind of person who would seek out people to say funny things to. Like his friends or side characters (Weasel, Bob, Agent X, Outlaw, Bullseye, or Blind Al). Heck Blind Al used to live with him, so she was always there to chat with him. That's why he kept her "hostage", because he needed someone in his life who was always there for him. That's the point of having side characters, so that you don't need voices in the character's head. Anything the voices do in a thematic or practical sense could be done with one of Deadpool's side characters. So why bother having voices at all? Instead of Deadpool talking to himself....why not just have him talk to Weasel over the phone or through an internal monologue? They're pointless!!!

Plus, the voices ruin one of Deadpool's most iconic traits....his motormouth? How is he the Merc with the Mouth when all of his jokes are inside his head? I like it better, when even when Deadpool is alone with no one to talk to....he'd still talk, because that's what he is.....he's the Merc With A Mouth. He's even at one point said that he "hates the feeling his mouth gets when it's all dry after he hasn't talked for more than 10 minutes." He wasn't talking to voices in his head....he just liked the sound of his own voice. Plus, there was an element of intelligence behind it. He talks babble till he drives his opponents nuts. It's a tactic. He talks and talks and talks, till his enemy either puts a gun to their own head to end the never-ending noise or slip-up and give Deadpool an opening to attack. There's a method to his madness.

Oh yeah, I'm a BIG NAY when it comes to the voices and I hope the future movies and comics never bring them back. They were nothing more than a fart in the character's personality. Let's let that fart fade away into the wind.

DepartmentK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The thing I hated the most of those captions is they would always ruin serious moments. Try to imagine the emotional scene from good the bad and the ugly where he finds the mass grave littered with those stupid caption boxes. Wouldn't have been anywhere near as effective. I find a lot of eerie similarities with Daniel way and Vince Russo, a pro wrestling writer. Neither were fans of the actual product only of a certain aspect of it, and then turned that certain aspect to the nth degree

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Ok, i have a love hate relationship with the boxes.

They could had worked, it would had made sense if they would had decide to use them to mock other characters.

Like making fun of Batman inner monologues or how some character use narration, even when you can see what they do.

The problem is the way they use them, they decide to make them a character, that doesnt work.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.