Deadly Class #18

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

This series continues to get more and more insane with each issue. Marcus Lopez got off the streets of San Francisco and enrolled in the Kings Dominion School of the Deadly Arts. His life hasn't gotten any easier. He's had to deal with a deadly enemy from his past, a crazy drug-filled trip that lead to another deadly encounter with some major killers, and back at school, he's alienated what little friends he's managed to have. Now that final exams have arrived, it's a literal matter of life and death. There are two kinds of students at the school--those from a legacy of killers attending the school and those that are new (referred to as "rats"). The final exam is for the privileged to hunt and kill all the rats.

Rick Remender and Wes Craig have always crammed in plenty of action into the series, but there's plenty of story as well. With such a big cast of characters, we get to see the different relationships, interactions, and drama that can go on in a high school setting. The difference is you have the added factor of everyone training to be an assassin. Remender has given each character a different feel. You can see the essence of who they are as they continue to develop. It's not just a matter of reading two-dimensional characters that are killers. There is plenty of depth within.

With the final exams happening, the book has taken a major turn. Just when you think things couldn't get any worse, you reach the last page and see what more Remender has planned for the characters.

Wes Craig's art along with Jordan Boyd's colors are a fantastic. They managed to perfectly capture the mood in each scene and in each panel. I'm always impressed with the variation in panel layout. It's almost odd but some panels have minimal backgrounds which is something that usually bothers me. That isn't the case here. Craig does add in plenty of details within each panels but often shifts the focus to the main character within a particular panel. It adds a great variety and really makes the characters and action pop off the page.

DEADLY CLASS remains at the top of my list of favorite comics. Each time a new issue is released, it's among the first I'll dive into. Rick Remender and Wes Craig are giving us the perfect blend in storytelling with plenty of action, character development, drama, and tragedy. If you haven't been reading this title, you really need to fix that. Go back and pick up the trades. Get caught up. I just love this book so dang much. I can't get enough of it.

OUTBREAK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Is this gonna be the last arc? This is one of the only books I trade wait for..

Ducey13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Possibly the best series on the shelves!

MonThackma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So good.

Chronos96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not to be rude but when I read review I think of actually talking about what happens. It's clear the reviewer is enthusiastic about the series which is great. But the above paragraphs don't tell us anything we couldn't learn from the solicits.

modsbehating

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for myfavoriteviltrumite23
    MyFavoriteViltrumite23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outbreak666:

I hope not because when you get down to it, this isn't the end of Marcus's story, even if he does survive he has to deal with a bunch of pissed off Mafia bosses who's dead kids he killed both directly or indirectly

No Caption Provided

Thats one of the reasons why I like this book, take a anime concept and not only Americanize it but also set it during the late 80s

ComicsRHealthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ComicsRHealthy

Man,great review! I'm so hyped to read this issue now. Its top of the pile @G-Man? I knew you liked this series as much as I do! It's exciting to know they have more in store for Marcus after this explosive issue.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

@comicsrhealthy: I think it's safe to say this is my favorite issue of the week and I still have a bit more to read through.

Buddy_Baker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Buddy_Baker

Can't wait to pick it up. To me it's just the most... kinetic US comic on the market to me, if that makes any sense.

Sometimes when I'm seeing random looking action poses in Marvel/DC comics, I'm thinking "Damn, they should take leaf out of Wes Craig's book!".

And those colors...the musical references... yeah you might can tell I really dig this book.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.