gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

DEADLY CLASS was my favorite new series of 2014. There’s a great mix to the series as we have a sort of coming of age story set in the 1980s mixed with life in a school for teenage assassins. Our main character, Marcus Lopez, keeps finding himself in messy situations. There are some of the typical problems you might expect involving his girlfriend and the other girl he likes, being late for work, and the consequences of having a rough night before.

In this sense, the issue almost feels like it has two separate parts. With the different aspects of violence, there is a refreshing feeling seeing Marcus trying to get through his day at his job at a comic shop. Things don’t go too smoothly and it provides for some entertaining moments. Just when you feel like the issue is taking things a little lightly and we won’t get to the core of Marcus’ problems, he and his friends prepare to take on Chester, aka “Fuckface.” This is where the issue truly shines. We have a book about a bunch of kids learning how to be assassins. Seeing them lay out the plan and begin to set it in motion is brilliantly done. And of course there will be some hitches in the plan to keep readers in suspense.

Wes Craig’s art and Lee Loughridge’s colors never cease to amaze. There’s a great flow and each character has their own feel with the way they carry themselves and move. Despite being a series of still comic panels, you can get a sense of their movement and emotion in each one. Each panel is full of detail that adds life to this comic book world.

The Bad

I thought it was going to be just a ‘good’ issue but once the raid started, my excitement for the story cranked up.

The Verdict

DEADLY CLASS remains one of my favorite new series. We have an interesting cast of characters and the mix between 80s teenage drama with aspects of training to be an assassin keeps readers on their toes. Rick Remender has created a remarkable world and Wes Craig’s art with Lee Loughridge’s colors are top notch. I have to assume you’re reading this book already. If you’re not reading DEADLY CLASS, you really need to fix that.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

My pick of the week. Marcus sh*tting himself had me laughing through the rest of the issue.

ComicsRHealthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ComicsRHealthy

Yo G-Man,I think you and I enjoy Deadly Class in equal measure! Most definitely my favorite series of 2014 as well. I'm always excited when a new issue come out and I make sure to check out your review too because they're always good in my opinion.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Best series of 2014!

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

That cover is a little on the creepy side if you ask me. Can't wait to read this one though.

jaybefre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jaybefre

That last page though had me like "Motherf******!!! This b****!!!" Lol!

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I was full with mixed feelings about this book but this issue made it a solid read. I really enoyed reading this issue and I can say that this is the best issue of the series so far.

tomlikesfries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

User Lists: 3

This issue was simply amazing. Remender's showing that he can write his pants off. This is shaping up to be one of my favourite series ever.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It portrayed comic book readers really well, no doubt about it

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.