Follow

Worlds of DC

Concept » Worlds of DC appears in 19 issues.

DC Comics' shared universe of live-action films, which began with Man of Steel.

What does DC need to improve on in their movie universe?

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

So according to some fans (emphasis on SOMEfans), the DCEU hasn't quite hit it with most of the audiences. So, what are some ways that DC can become a powerhouse in the movies?

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Keep doing what they're currently doing

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Going forward I think they need to improve their marketing. They've been spotty in the past and some movies have under performed because of it. Today, Shazam! debuted with $53 million US domestic. It will drop 50% next week so forth until the weekend of the 26th when it will be "Shaz-who?" There were a lot of surprises in the movie and as a fan I appreciate that, but perhaps DC held back too much so when the general audience (not people who hang out on comic/movie sites) had an opportunity to see it, they did something else (watched NCAA basketball?) Another thing DC needs to do in their films is expand their diversity (I know, I know). So far we've had a lot of white guys, couple of white ladies and one black man as leads in these films. They need to bring a more diverse selection of secondary characters to the forefront in order to bring minorities into the theaters. Jason Momoa and Dwayne Johnson are both half Polynesian, and that's a good start. I expect Idris Elba to continue where Will Smith left off even if it is in a different role and, as much as I hate the look of the film the casting in Birds of Prey is very diverse. Marketing needs to highlight these characters so that the average film-goer knows that there will be representation for them in the movie if that's what they're seeking.

Amonfire1776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stick to animation and solo films...

Avatar image for thesmallvillefan12
    TheSmallvillefan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Keep making solid solo movies for awhile.

2.Get strong well received movies with the main DC trinity (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman is already off to a good start) while also branching out to lesser known properties like Shazam, Birds of Prey, etc. If you can't make good movies with your most popular characters you can't expect moviegoers to take chances on lesser known properties.

3. Set out a plan and release schedule and stick to it. A lot of movies are in a state of limbo right now and people aren't sure if they'll even happen. They need to pull a Marvel and announce a slate of movies for next few years and actually adhere to it.Better release dates. Putting Shazam out in between Captain Marvel and Endgame was just a really bad move.

4. Add in some Animated Movies- DC home video does great animated movies but there's clearly potential for wide release animated movies as proved by Into the Spider-verse and TeenTitansGo!

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with everyone's suggestions. Here are some things that DC could do better with their movies:

1. One of the major complaints I've heard about Shazam's performance was that it was screened two weeks early. If they had screened the movie a week before its release, then more people would have seen the movie on opening weekend and not feel so bored with the film because most people had already seen the movie before it release. I think that DC needs to screen the movies a week early instead of two in order to gain the audience's interest more.

2. PROMOTE! PROMOTE! PROMOTE! It seems like whenever DC releases a movie, they don't seem to promote their movies much and that usually hurts their performances. If DC just spent more time on promoting their films before they are released, then more people would want to check out their films. I mean, look at how much promotion "Avengers: Endgame" is getting and everyone is already excited for the film due to massive promotion.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Keep doing what they're currently doing

yup the next wave of DC movies (Sha2am Black adam, Batman) > whack panther, fake captain marvel, dr weird, gunn is out this galaxy

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Keep making solid solo movies for awhile.

2.Get strong well received movies with the main DC trinity (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman is already off to a good start) while also branching out to lesser known properties like Shazam, Birds of Prey, etc. If you can't make good movies with your most popular characters you can't expect moviegoers to take chances on lesser known properties.

3. Set out a plan and release schedule and stick to it. A lot of movies are in a state of limbo right now and people aren't sure if they'll even happen. They need to pull a Marvel and announce a slate of movies for next few years and actually adhere to it.Better release dates. Putting Shazam out in between Captain Marvel and Endgame was just a really bad move.

4. Add in some Animated Movies- DC home video does great animated movies but there's clearly potential for wide release animated movies as proved by Into the Spider-verse and TeenTitansGo!

I agree with all this, especially with making good movies for Batman and Superman. I think that DC would do much better if they had made better movies with Batman and Superman. I mean, look at how successful the Dark Knight was. I also agree that they should also try their hands at making more animated films. It would be interesting to see what characters they would use for their animated films.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BullPR

They are doing well right now.

A few more successes with individual characters and they should try to recreate some interactions.

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By krisbishop  Moderator

Don't rush movies. Don't rewrite and reshoot a movie so many times by different people until it becomes a mess of differing styles and convoluted writing.

They've avoided that for their recent movies so they're doing fine.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Writing. WW wouldve been improved with having no Ares fight at all , Aquaman left the plot at the door , Shazam couldve cut a few areas or replaced some scenes

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bullpr said:

They are doing well right now.

A few more successes with individual characters and they should try to recreate some interactions.

I agree that they are doing much better now than they did before and I like the fact that they are focusing on solo movies rather than trying out shared movies.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't rush movies. Don't rewrite and reshoot a movie so many times by different people until it becomes a mess of differing styles and convoluted writing.

They've avoided that for their recent movies so they're doing fine.

I agree that DC shouldn't rush out their movies. That was their big mistake when they were doing BvS. If they keep making the movies at the pace they are going at the moment, then they will do fine.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Penguin-Dust: it’s expected to drop 4% internationally

Hope it doesn't drop too far down.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tethadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not have Superman so much stronger than everybody.

They can keep his high feats but also give Wonder Woman and Aquaman high feats also, they missed the chance to make Shazam a Superman lite

NiteLite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flash better be redeemed.

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What tethadam said and also hire Christopher Nolan for a batman movie

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What tethadam said and also hire Christopher Nolan for a batman movie

I agree that Christopher Nolan should had been a consultant for a Batman movie at least since his "Dark Knight Trilogy" is one of the most successful superhero franchises made.

jashugan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$1 billion dollar movie says they have hit it with whatever fanbase they were looking for

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Penguin-Dust

@rabbitearsblog said:
    @ready_4_madness said:

Week #2 had it drop 53% domestically taking in just over $25 million more for an approximate total of $95 million domestic. Internationally, Deadline is reporting it picked up an additional $35 million for an international total of $164 million. I don't think all of the numbers are in, but Variety adds a some specific country box office returns. In its second week of release, Shazam! sits at $266 million globally. Forbes said its rate of return is in line with Spider-Man Into the Spiderverse which is "fine". These days, I think fans of CBM's and movies in general get wrapped up in the big numbers of the billion-dollar club which is a fairly recent phenomenon. Most films don't need to make an insane amount of money to be successful.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rabbitearsblog said:
    @ready_4_madness said:

Week #2 had it drop 53% domestically taking in just over $25 million more for an approximate total of $95 million domestic. Internationally, Deadline is reporting it picked up an additional $35 million for an international total of $164 million. I don't think all of the numbers are in, but Variety adds a some specific country box office returns. In its second week of release, Shazam! sits at $266 million globally. Forbes said its rate of return is in line with Spider-Man Into the Spiderverse which is "fine". These days, I think fans of CBM's and movies in general get wrapped up in the big numbers of the billion-dollar club which is a fairly recent phenomenon. Most films don't need to make an insane amount of money to be successful.

It actually did better in its second weekend opening than Ant Man did, which is pretty impressive. In any case, I think Shazam would still make back its budget (actually, it probably already did).

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashugan said:

$1 billion dollar movie says they have hit it with whatever fanbase they were looking for

I agree that if one of the DCEU movies can at least break a $1 billion dollars, it might become even more successful in the future.

Avatar image for newyorkjetsarecool
    newyorkjetsarecool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

-Make more movies like Shazam/more family friendly

-Power levels are good, but add villains besides Doomsday who can take on multiple heroes

-Explore cosmic side

-More emotion

-Less cheesy parts

-DC is trending up

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.