DC Universe Streaming Service Reportedly Being Reevaluated

#2 Posted by mrmonster (16348 posts) - - Show Bio

They're probably just going to merge it with the WarnerMedia streaming service once that launches.

#3 Posted by mrmonster (16348 posts) - - Show Bio

Or maybe bundle them, like Disney+ and Hulu.

#4 Edited by KillBilly (2673 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean, yeah. It doesn't have either the quality or quantity necessary to get people to pay $7.99 a month for it. Also, people on the far left don't pay for things that are meant to pander to them because they don't truly care about those things, they only like to pretend they do. Geeks and nerds tend to pay out the ass however because we're a passionate fanbase that actually cares about the stories and characters these properties are based on. Unfortunately, DC has decided to cater to children and the far left instead of the actual fans that made it what it was. So has Marvel for that matter but they've got a multi-billion dollar studio to shore their lack of quality with special effects, licencing for recognizable songs and good actions scenes along with the draw of somewhat meaningful interconnected continuity. DC doesn't even have that.

#5 Posted by Eto (5355 posts) - - Show Bio

They shot themselves in the foot due to not releasing it worlwide.

#6 Posted by Heatforce (6552 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean, yeah. It doesn't have either the quality or quantity necessary to get people to pay $7.99 a month for it. Also, people on the far left don't pay for things that are meant to pander to them because they don't truly care about the things, they only like to pretend they do. Geeks pay out the ass however because we're a passionate fanbase that actually cares about the content. Unfortunately, DC has decided to cater to children and the far left instead of the actual fans that made it what it was. So has Marvel for that matter but they've got a multi-billion dollar studio to shore their lack of quality with special effects, licencing for recognizable songs and good actions scenes along with the draw of somewhat meaningful interconnected continuity. DC doesn't even have that.

As someone who has the same issues with today's media, I can promise you there was no pandering in Titans, a little pandering in Doom Patrol (but not enough to be distracting) and Swamp Thing hasn't pandered at all, so far.

#7 Edited by KillBilly (2673 posts) - - Show Bio

@heatforce: Titans problem wasn't that it pandered to the left, it was that it was edgy, badly written and didn't care about getting the character's they were using right. They took pride in it in fact...

Loading Video...

Pretty much every other DC show I can think of did pander. Haven't seen Swamp Thing myself but I wouldn't be surprised if we get a couple of those moments in future episodes though hopefully it remains an exception ( if it does, it will make the fact that it was cancelled after 1 season and had episodes cut even sadder ).

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
#8 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17902 posts) - - Show Bio

They're probably just going to merge it with the WarnerMedia streaming service once that launches.

#9 Posted by bleidd (530 posts) - - Show Bio

Swamp Thing's cancellation makes me sad. Loved the Pilot.

#10 Posted by MAZAHS117 (13151 posts) - - Show Bio

Look whatever they do, just keep Young Justice going

#11 Posted by foxerdes (10416 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as Young Justice and Doom Patrol keep getting new seasons, I'm fine.

#12 Posted by RBT (29463 posts) - - Show Bio

That sucks. I really hope they get merged with Warner Streaming service.

#13 Posted by godzilla44 (7680 posts) - - Show Bio

@foxerdes said:

As long as Young Justice and Doom Patrol keep getting new seasons, I'm fine.

#14 Posted by entropy_aegis (20922 posts) - - Show Bio

To the surprise of no one. Comic fans are such a niche group that a whole service just for them never made sense. Then they made it inaccessible to non Americans, genius move.

A general Warner service doesn't really guarantee continuation of DC shows( I hope they do make DC properties a priority though). It sucks really because I'm ready for CW shit to end.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#15 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (17586 posts) - - Show Bio

DC shouldn’t of have their own streaming service to begin with.

#16 Posted by Heatforce (6552 posts) - - Show Bio

@killbilly: Titans is a different universe. While I understand the complaint; there is already the comics versions and the animated shows. Having a twist and being edgy isn't a problem for me personally 🤷‍♂️

#17 Posted by MICKEY-MOUSE (36949 posts) - - Show Bio

A lot of this stuff is pure greed the DC Streaming Universe wasn’t a labor of love it’s greed. How much money can we sucker from people. Just put everything into the platform we are paying for HBO Go. The whole WB Media Streaming Service being a separate thing from HBO Go is a mistake as well.

#18 Edited by MICKEY-MOUSE (36949 posts) - - Show Bio

basic cable is $38+ a month...once your streaming costs go above that the whole save money with streaming thing goes out the window...at best people are gonna be willing to pay for 3 different services...but most will probably only pay for 2...

All of these companies trying to come up with a streaming service are doing so out of greed and desperation because they saw how Netflix was killing the market. Only Disney really put any real actual thought and effort into building an actual alternative to Netflix. Everyone else is just throwing crap against the wall seeing if it will stick. Like CBS? Seriously just Star Trek? And u Except me to pay a monthly fee for Avis ally Star Trek, some sports, and a few other meager offerings? Lol no.

#19 Posted by Heatforce (6552 posts) - - Show Bio

@mickey-mouse: well you're not wrong lol. I am interested to see how the market will evolve (or devolve) with the competition.

#20 Edited by MICKEY-MOUSE (36949 posts) - - Show Bio

@heatforce: I mean it’s basic math look at how little the average household brings in $$$ wise. Trumps tax cuts squeezing whatever is left of the middle class and helping the rich. There’s only so much the average person can spend on entertainment while also getting food and shelter.

Then add the rules in for international streaming. WB was so dumb and sloppy they didn’t even have a plan for that. Titans and the other shows would just eventually appear on Netflix in the international markets.

Some of these companies are very smart and a lot of them aren’t as smart was you would assume they are which shouldn’t be a shocker I guess. You think more companies would have made a play for Fox 🦊 once it was clear what Disney was up to, but only Comcast had the balls to try and fight Mickey Mouse 🐭.

A lot of these streaming services will drop dead with in a few months/years of their initial launch.

#21 Posted by the_stegman (40358 posts) - - Show Bio

To the surprise of no one. Comic fans are such a niche group that a whole service just for them never made sense. Then they made it inaccessible to non Americans, genius move.

A general Warner service doesn't really guarantee continuation of DC shows( I hope they do make DC properties a priority though). It sucks really because I'm ready for CW shit to end.

This. And to add, it's not even comic fans, it's hardcore DC fans. Literally every casual that I know doesn't even know DC Universe exists, and once I tell them, even if they have interest in the shows, they aren't gonna add another streaming service for just that.

Just make it an add on to WarnerMedia.

#22 Posted by OrangeBat (983 posts) - - Show Bio

Not surprised. They have Titans, which is mediocre s**t with one midway decent episode (the one with the Doom Patrol) and butchered characterization, they have Doom Patrol which alternates between being godawful and barely decent every other episode and Swamp Thing, which was so bad they cancelled it after one episode. Oh, and they also had/have a Harley Quinn show in production/planning, which would've been guaranteed to be awful.

#23 Posted by jamespacker (659 posts) - - Show Bio

Not surprised. They have Titans, which is mediocre s**t with one midway decent episode (the one with the Doom Patrol) and butchered characterization, they have Doom Patrol which alternates between being godawful and barely decent every other episode and Swamp Thing, which was so bad they cancelled it after one episode. Oh, and they also had/have a Harley Quinn show in production/planning, which would've been guaranteed to be awful.

No Caption Provided

#24 Posted by Heatforce (6552 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Edited by OrangeBat (983 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by Heatforce (6552 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Edited by Reactor (4438 posts) - - Show Bio

Sucks if true. Hell, I'm watching DCO right now

#28 Posted by mrmonster (16348 posts) - - Show Bio

I know that ads are the bane of so many people on the internet, but I think that (at least in the short run) they should start putting ads on DC Universe. If it would keep DCU afloat while WarnerMedia figures out what they're going to do with their streaming service, I'd be fine with commercials.

#29 Posted by mrmonster (16348 posts) - - Show Bio

WarnerMedia silently confirmed today that these shows will end up on their upcoming streaming service, HBO Max.

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.