• 109 results
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Unless you've been in a cave, with your fingers in your ears, then you're aware of DC Comics' plan to revamp their company, characters, and stories. Now, this isn't a reboot, so don't get those two confused. When something is rebooted, continuity is thrown out the window and restarted. Think about when the Ultimate universe at Marvel was started, or when Batman Begins came out. Reboots tend to be a good thing because it's predecessors failed to hit the mark, or creative teams want to try something completely new.

No Caption Provided

Revamping is a bit different. The characters in question will get new creative teams, new costumes/looks, and new stories. These characters exist in the world of DC that has been set up for years, but the revamping device is supposed to make the books more accessible to new readers, and as DC Co-Publisher Dan Didio stated, "we really want to inject new life in our characters and line." He also stated they want to tell stories for today's audiences where the characters are a bit younger. While the idea of revamping the line does seem pretty cool, does it alienate current DC comics fans?

== TEASER ==

As I sat back, the week this was announced, I was pretty bummed. There's a lot of changes that have been made over the years, many of which I found brilliant, that were seemingly thrown out the window with this revamp. Dick Grayson as going back to Nightwing, Batman Inc disappearing until 2012, and Barbara no longer in a wheelchair are just a few of the examples of change in the DC Revamp of 2010. As a loyal DC Comics reader, which I still will be no matter the outcome of this revamp, I feel like with DC making a bunch of these changes that they're forgetting about their readers who have stood by them through it all. I've really enjoyed everything that's been set-up over the past few years, especially Dick taking over the roll as Batman or the years of story set-up in Green Lantern. However, with this new revamp, all of those stories just disappear. Sure, we get to see Batman Inc in 2012, but what about those of us who really loved Dick as Batman?

What are you doing here?
What are you doing here?

To me, DC is really alienating many of its fans. Sure, I understand that the books in the revamp are probably going to be good. In fact, I'm excited for a bunch of them: All-Star Western, Grifter, Swamp Thing, Resurrection Man, and Aquaman just to name a few. We all read DC books, follow the stories, and then "poof" revamped stories and the old ones are forgotten about. It leaves an awkward feeling in the pit of our stomachs as we try to understand why so many of us feel left out in the cold. The biggest hit to me as a fan is that Swamp thing and John Constantine are appearing in DC books now. It is true that both of these characters got their start in DC books, but since then, I've always associated them with Vertigo, so seeing them in a regular DC book just feels like a bit of a bummer. At the same time, this whole revamping and renumbering seems a little too familiar to me.

Back in the 90s, many readers may remember when Marvel did this. Well, they ended up doing it a few times, but not at the same exact time if my memory serves me correctly. Times were different back then and people were comic-hungry for #1 issues of anything they can get their hands on. It lasted for a little while, but eventually, every book returns to the old numbering, especially for milestone issues. Sure we may see Action Comics start at a new number, but don't tell me they won't go back to the original numbering for the 1,000 issue. That's a landmark achievement. I really don't think this revamp will pull in the numbers DC thinks it's going to pull in either. Sure, they'll get a few people here and there, but most comic book fans know that if you want to start reading a book, you just have to dive right in and piece everything together yourself, and most people are fine with that.

As for new readers that have never read comic books before, I'm not too sure. I don't know if a 14 year old kid, who's never read a comic before in his or her life is going to hop onto DC because of the revamp and start reading Firestorm, Aquaman, or Batwing. It just doesn't seem very realistic. Sure, comic book fans will do it, but I don't think they'll be pulling in new blood with this. Time will tell though, and I'll probably be stuck with my own foot in my mouth.

Sliders meets the Flash.
Sliders meets the Flash.

I have a feeling, one of those crazy conspiracy theories, that this all ties into Superman. Doesn't DC have to change Superman's origin so they can get away from the lawsuits? Maybe this is a way to get away from all of that without losing the rights to the character. I also have a theory that all of this ties into Flashpoint. Maybe Flash doesn't get back to his real Earth and ends up on one very similar to it, but not exact (::whisper:: "SLIDERS"). Who knows?

While this revamp leaves us hardcore DC fans bummed out, there's no reason to get up-in-arms about it, like I just did. It's comics, and in comics, everything eventually returns to normal, and to be honest, a lot of the revamped characters look cool. The biggest problem is that some of us feel like we were left out in the desert in our underwear and now we got to walk back home. What do you guys think?

~Mat Elfring is a comedian and writer for ComicVine and PrattleRattle. He's on Twitter and has one of those Tumblr things.

For a look at the other side of things, check out Tony's article about why the revamp is a good idea.

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By They Killed Cap!

First Post...yeah

I totally think it is a slap in the face to loyal readers. I came back to comics in the middle of Batman RIP story and FInal Crisis...what a wonderful place to jump in right...lol wrong. But the fun is seeking out the information wether it is online or trades, your fellow book bros or actually breaking down and buying back issues. But instead of that lets try a stunt that potentially alienates some current readers to gamble that we pull in some new readers...I think movies will always pull in new readers, cartoons will always pull in new readers, family and friends will always pull in new readers. Why do something like this to affect current regualrs who keep your business afloat? It just dosen't make sense to me. 

I guess the only thing that will slavage this for me is how they integrate this to continuity. If it is done well it will be much easier to swallow. If it isn't count PO'd.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By papad1992

Is it only limited to one slap... because if not, I'm cutting loose!!
Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By Amegashita

Since I've already lost faith in DC, nothing is really changing for me.

Duo_forbidden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 604

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Duo_forbidden

It's a pimp smack to the face. Besides boosting sales, I don't see the point of the reboot. It makes the final issues of the current series I'm currently reading irrelevant somewhat.

RedRobin92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By RedRobin92

I agree with every word you said Mat. Taking the Batman mantle away from Dick is a terrible move. DC isn't allowing for any growth. It's as if we take 2 steps forward and then 3 steps back. They do something groundbreaking and long awaited that fans are completely for, and then tear out our hearts and go back to the beginning only to restart the vicious cycle. 

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Billy Batson

Tony vs Mat

Who will win?

BB

GreenArrow789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GreenArrow789

I agree completely with this article.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#8  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
@RedRobin92 said:
I agree with every word you said Mat. Taking the Batman mantle away from Dick is a terrible move. DC isn't allowing for any growth. It's as if we take 2 steps forward and then 3 steps back. They do something groundbreaking and long awaited that fans are completely for, and then tear out our hearts and go back to the beginning only to restart the vicious cycle. 

dc was always going to take it away from him. i still dont see how him going back to nightwing is going to keep him from growing as a character
doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By doordoor123

Just because there is new life "rejuvenating" in comics doesnt mean there wont be an explanation for Babs back on her feet or an explanation for this Post-Flashpoint world. Its not getting rid of canon and if it is, then its only being replaced by more canon.

mark5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mark5

This is a great article Mat

RedRobin92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RedRobin92
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
@RedRobin92 said:
dc was always going to take it away from him. i still dont see how him going back to nightwing is going to keep him from growing as a character
It's not just about the growth of Dick though. It's also about the growth of Batman as a character. Yes, Bruce is the original and the greatest, however I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't want to see Bruce under the cowl for the rest of my life. We've now had a taste of what it would be like to have Dick under the cowl and even a glimpse into the life of Damien as the Batman, and guess what it's good and fans love it. However, if we keep going back to putting the originals under the masks (Bruce as Batman, Barry as The Flash, etc) then when is there ever going to be a new any real growth. If Wally were to be put back into the mantle of Kid Flash, then thanks a lot DC for looking past the loyalty of those who followed Wally's tremendous run as the Flash. I'm sorry, to me, it seems wrong. 
doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By doordoor123

Im really disappointed that youre on this side of the dabate Mat.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a98cd905fc97
deactivated-5a98cd905fc97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've only recently been reading DC Comics for half a year, but this whole revamp thing has me worried that a lot of what I've just grown to love is going to go away.  I know it's not a reboot, but it does have me a little concerned.

robokungfu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By robokungfu
You guys need to have a video debate on this sort of thing.  There hasn't been a video of anything on this site in a good while and not even a "news of the week." I don't count the happy hour business. Is everyone sick or recovering from plastic surgery? What's the deal?   

Good article, but I don't agree with everything. Dick had some good adventures with Damian but I really only like Bruce in the role. It was hard for me to adjust to Dick as Batman anyway even a year or so after the fact. I don't have any problem with Swamp Thing being under the DC label. Some of his best stories are dealing with a C-list DC villain in Woodrue and the occasional DC cameo.

skaarason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By skaarason

i had a feeling it would have somthing to do with flashpoint , also thanks for reminding me about sliders !!!

antiterra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By antiterra

Highly recommended reading: a discussion

between Gail Simone and Jill Pantozzi about Babs becoming Batgirl again.

Like many, I was disappointed with DC's decision, but having Gail Simone (who knows and writes Barbara better than anyone, ever) on board was always a silver lining. This interview just confirms how ridiculously amazing and smart she is. I'm sure it'll help those who fear and/or resent the decision to put things into perspective, and maybe assuage their concerns.

Seriously, go read it!

Avatar image for crimsoninutears
CrimsonInuTears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By CrimsonInuTears

Not EVERYTHING always goes back to normal, but yes, I'm sure it'll happen sooner rather than later at this rate. However I gotta point out, they probably wouldn' get as much rage toward this if they had introduced it as like "another earth". Marvel has it's Ultimate Universe, why couldn' this be DC's version? That woulda given em more opportunities, less "boo for changin". ^_^

roboticjesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By roboticjesus

Really like the Tony vs Matt point of views being presented on the DC revamp. Overall, I feel more like Matt though. While I am excited about some of the revamp titles and characters I feel like a lot of the changes and story development in the bigger books is being brushed to the side. We as readers are invested in the characters we enjoy and I think we are being kicked in the junk by DC because they want to lure in new readers. Seems to be mostly a business decision.

If the big reason for the change is that they need to tweak Superman's origin, I will be pissed. I know they seem to tweak the origin every 3 or 4 years now, but I'm guessing it is going to have to be a major change to the story in order to avoid a lawsuit.

I'm sure the new books will be great, but it will just take some getting used to. I guess the closest comparison is readers who had read DC prior to "Crisis on Infinite Earths" and how they reacted to the post-crisis DC Universe. Would be cool to hear some feedback from the older readers who went through that as I didnt start reading comics till shortly after Crisis.

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By SevanGrim
@inferiorego:im also a devoted DC reader, but after this...?
 i can into DC with Tim Drake's Robin series. And i started reading Superboy and Young justice soon after. I feel those characters. They are real to me. And this revamp makes them disappear. Replaced with cruddy "edgy" shadows of my favorite characters who have spent the last 15 years being fleshed out.
  im directly offended by this. I spend 20-40 bucks a week on DC comics, and in return i loose my favorite characters? 
 some of these titles (Red Hood and the Outlaws, Aquaman, rResurrection man, and Deathstroke) are variations of books i've been waiting for a long time, and i may still pick them up. But I love DC comics for the characters i have... not the characters that the idiot mainstream would create. Why the hell are comics catering to these pricks when nothings going to change? most people who think comics are stupid never picked one up anyway, and their not gonna start because Superman put his underwear away and WOnder WOman is wearing a choker.
  ... the thought nauseates me... but i hope DC goes under for this. Then someone can buy them out, force them back to what once was (with i guess some of the better changes getting folded in), and put someone who isnt prone to making massive and unnecessary changes to 80 years of solid work.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a98cd905fc97
deactivated-5a98cd905fc97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antiterra: Thanks for the link.  Good read.
.o0Johnny0o.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By .o0Johnny0o.
Cool article, I think you articulated the feeling of angst among a lot of fans.  Kirkman put a nice dig in the most recent issue of Invincible.
No Caption Provided

Doesn't DC have to change Superman's origin so they can get away from the lawsuits?

Could someone explain this to me?  Is this to prevent the character entering the public domain?

@They Killed Cap! said:

First Post...yeah

Welcome to the thunderdome duder
deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

This feels like deja vu all over again... 

As another, maybe, rabid DC fan I've seen a few revamps. There was a big one in '85. There was another one in '94.  

I wouldn't be surprised if this has something to do with Superman. 

But, more and more, seeing the phrase, "we want to attract new readers" in connection with any revamp, instead of the phrase, "we just want to tell great stories" leaves me feeling that DC, or Marvel or any publisher is not really interested in me. They're interested in mass appeal. That's not a bad idea. A publisher needs to consider sales figures. I look at my comics and I see an art form. I see storytelling. A publisher looks at a comic book and sees it as a "unit". The same is true for music. You might see a CD or an iTunes slection as tracks grouped together. Uh-uh. A CD is a unit. Units that add up to millions sold achieve milestone recognition. Units that don't move make way for units that do. Will Barbara Gordon move more units as Batgirl than the previous Batgirls? Than she did as Oracle? I know there are some books that I'm gonna give a look. The J'ONN J'ONZZ-LESS JLA and Grifter would be two.   

I'm just hoping my "unit" will be more filling and satisfying is all...    

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#23  Edited By Outside_85

Well if you read the DC messageboards you will find a small horde of people that's sayign they are going to leave because of this, while the DC creative teams (like Booth for example) still claim that the people they ask mainly thinks its a good thing. Personally i wonder where they get that impression, certainy its not from their own webboard. (I know webboards are possibly just a cauldon of self-renewing hatred of any change, but i think none of us go there to get angry) 

However i agree that this reboot/revamp will drive established fans away. Teen Titans #1 are supposedly a first meeting between the core of the Young Justice crew (Bart, Tim, Conner and Cassie) meaning that atleast the last 100+ issues of Teen Titans/Titans/Robin/Red Robin/Young Justice/Outsider and so on is pretty much erased from history. That annoys me as a guy who liked what Krul was doing and most of what Johns did in the start. 

Also, there is no word on where Titans stalwards like Donna, Garfield, Garth and Raven have headed in this insanity and with Cyborg apparently becomming a founder of the Justice League it makes me wonder if the whole Wolfman/Perez era of New Teen Titans have also been wiped out, which is a shame because that run was the best the Titans have ever produced and is still held up as vastly superior story telling than anything that came afterwards. 

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jordanstine

Re: 
Revamp aka another way, but nice way, of saying Reboot / Retcon

This is a PARTIALReboot (see Crisis of Infinite Earths, Infinite Crisis, Zero Hour, etc.)

How can there not be a reboot, when DC's Vice President of Marketing - Bob Wayne, said himself initially:

Bob Wayne: "In addition, the new #1s will introduce readers to a more modern, diverse DC Universe, with some character variations in appearance, origin, and age. All stories will be grounded in each character's legend. Some of the characters will have new origins, while others will undergo minor changes."

New Origins?
New Ages?
Hello Barbara Gordon!

How is that NOT a reboot?

Answer: It's a PARTIAL Reboot, with some characters being changed (see Oracle - Batgirl) while others stay the same, but with Retcons spread out. 

No Caption Provided
Oh the Retconning!

Bob Wayne 3 days later after his statement eventually backtracked calling it not a reboot, but the truth is (credit to who said it), this is a PARTIAL Reboot disguised as a "Revamp" coz hey, revamp has a better ring to it! 

Even Michael J. Straczynski former DC writer was told by Dan Didio himself, this was going to be a Reboot:

http://comics.cosmicbooknews.com/content/dc-relaunch-j-michael-straczynskis-reaction-didnt-matter-whether-i-stayed-or-left

Michael J. Straczynski: When Dan DiDio comes out to the West Coast, we tend to get a bite for dinner to discuss projects, ideas, books and just hang. Dan is a great guy and an energetic speaker, chockful of ideas and aspirations for DC. As part of that, he share d repeatedly on and off for really more than a year his dream of rebooting the DCU and starting over. 

So I felt confident that it was coming soon (which is one reason why I felt there wouldn't be a problem in the long run leaving the monthly books, since most of the things done in Superman and Wonder Woman would be erased by the reboot anyway, so ultimately it didn't matter whether I stayed or left. I just couldn't say anything at the time because I wanted to respect Dan's privacy and his desire to do what he thought was right when he thought it was right to do it.

Taking that approach to rebooting the majority of the DC line is a gutsy move on an unparalleled scale, and I think Dan deserves a massive round of applause for making it.

All together now! 

"PARTIAL Reboot "
"PARTIAL Reboot "
"PARTIAL Reboot "
"PARTIAL Reboot "
"PARTIAL Reboot "
MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By MrUnknown

too confused not two confused. Otherwise good article. There are definitely some stuff that will be missed like Dick being Batman and Secret Six.

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheMess1428

This could be really interesting... for a while. What I see is that everything will last about maybe a year or two, making every title hit either issue #12 or issue #24, and then some event will change everything back. But not only just the characters and their stories, but the numbering too. But not just adding the 12 or 24 to whatever number they were at before. I'm talking, adding all the issues up. For example, if it was 12 issues, Teen Titans would be renumbered to #434. And if it was 24, it'd be #446. And the same should be done for every title. Including Superman, Batman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, The Flash, JLA, Booster Gold, etc.

pspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 182

#28  Edited By pspin

This is kind of stupid for all of the books in mid arc, like the current Superboy, and make me angry that they are changeing some characters like him radically, are there two now and one is a robot, but that is neither here or there. 

What about the books like Xombit that are kind of in the DCU but not really. 

Also, if they stop Secret Six someone is going to get punched in the face, that is probably oe of DC's best books, currently
Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jordanstine
@ Mat - inferiorego 

While this revamp leaves us hardcore DC fans bummed out, there's no reason to get up-in-arms about it, like I just did. It's comics, and in comics, everything eventually returns to normal, and to be honest, a lot of the revamped characters look cool. The biggest problem is that some of us feel like we were left out in the desert in our underwear and now we got to walk back home. What do you guys think?

In response to us Hardcore fans and our relationship to the new crop of DC fans...

Dan Didio's - Letter to the Fans - mention DC's goal:
http://popculturezoo.com/2011/06/dan-didios-open-letter-to-fans/

Folks, as you wonder and wait for the new series announcements to unfold, I just wanted to let you know that we are spending an extraordinary amount of time and energy to reinvigorate our line of characters and bring the best books possible for the widest audience possible. Sorry if anyone is feeling disenfranchised, especially since that’s not the intent. Quite the opposite - We are trying to create a place and story where older fans can point for new fans to start, whether in periodical, graphic novel or digital. A place where everyone can share in the excitement of the DC Universe."

"We are trying to create a place and story where older fans can point for new fans to start."

That's the goal?

I honestly don't know if that's a slap in the face to us older fans, or basically the way this business has to evolve.
batman_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By batman_is_god

I feel like this is DC deciding to stop slapping me in the face. As a loyal Batman fan I have watched him get killed and replaced, than Inc. suggests anyone can be Batman. On top of that, I am eager to rewad about characters that were too difficult to get into before.
goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By goldenkey

Matty Matty.  I agree with the conspiracy theories.  I don't agree with the revamping being bad.  I do agree with the alienating hardcore fans.  Back when Morrison took over the X-Men, I was so damn excited.  Other then the occasional DC trade I didn't read DC.  Then the original JLA members were back with Kyle and Wally joing the team instead of Hal and Barry.  The run was insane.  I got familar with a lot characters, was introduced to a lot of characters I really liked etc. etc..  My number one books were the X-men books tho.  Morrison ruined them for me.  Most story lines were just crap and he made the place a school.  I don't care what people think or that there was the word school on the building it wasn't a school, it was a base with a disguise.  I was complaing to the comic book guy (haha) about my X dilema and he handed me a soft cover mini-trade of the first 3 ultimate X-men issues for free.  I fell in love, came back and grabbed the next 2 issues.  (#6 wasn't released)  the stories were fantastic.  I saw that Millar (writer) also did the same thing for the Avengers, which I never read before, and was blown away even more.  Bendis on Spider-man was fantatstic.  I still don't like the Ultimate Goblin but everyone else I can live with.  I even read Millars FF which I didn't read before either and it was also great.  For about 3 years I preferred the Ultimate line over the 616.  If done right it can be SOOO damn amazing.  A real bad thing so they better pay attention.  I still think after a year the mainstream will return and coincide with the revamps.  It's cool as hell to see that Wildstorm and obviously Vertigo characters are going to be playing together.  Seeing Manhunter join one of the Wildstorm teams looks a lot cooler then one of those memebers joining the JLA. 
Midnight Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Midnight Monk

Well their changing Wonder Girls history by making her into some kinda powerhouse thief which is weird but I can't say I always found her interesting anyway :p What I'm reallly bummed about is Red Robin losing his awesome solo book and Stephanie Brown simpl going into limbo..AGAIN and yet again Cassandra Cain will disappear :(
batman_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By batman_is_god
@Outside_85 said:
Well if you read the DC messageboards you will find a small horde of people that's sayign they are going to leave because of this, while the DC creative teams (like Booth for example) still claim that the people they ask mainly thinks its a good thing. Personally i wonder where they get that impression, certainy its not from their own webboard. (I know webboards are possibly just a cauldon of self-renewing hatred of any change, but i think none of us go there to get angry) 

However i agree that this reboot/revamp will drive established fans away. Teen Titans #1 are supposedly a first meeting between the core of the Young Justice crew (Bart, Tim, Conner and Cassie) meaning that atleast the last 100+ issues of Teen Titans/Titans/Robin/Red Robin/Young Justice/Outsider and so on is pretty much erased from history. That annoys me as a guy who liked what Krul was doing and most of what Johns did in the start. 

Also, there is no word on where Titans stalwards like Donna, Garfield, Garth and Raven have headed in this insanity and with Cyborg apparently becomming a founder of the Justice League it makes me wonder if the whole Wolfman/Perez era of New Teen Titans have also been wiped out, which is a shame because that run was the best the Titans have ever produced and is still held up as vastly superior story telling than anything that came afterwards. 

Usually people only comment when a subject upsets them. How often do people ask for the manager to say how great their customer service was? Certainly not as often as they ask for the manager to complain about how terrible the service was. No news is usually good news. When the front page story is that a 15 year old girl got into a car crash, that's a sign that everything is ok with the world.
Seraphim84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Seraphim84

This is my big scare with the "revamp". They say it's just that, but they're doing things like taking Barbara out of her wheelchair. If that isn't a retcon, I dunno what is. If they're gonna rationalize all these changes in continuity, it's gonna feel as graceful as it did when Superboy-Prime punched time and space.

If these changes had some build-up to them, I'd be more accepting of them, but as the consensus is coming to be, this all seems slapped together at last minute to the detriment of the readers.

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By kennybaese

I still don't understand the notion that all of the stories that came before are suddenly invalidated. Trying to keep track of greater universe continuity in comics is incredibly tedious to me, and kind of pointless given how often stuff gets retconned and changed o fit with a new story that someone else wants to tell.

As such, I'm a DC Dan because I like the characters and I tend to like the stories that get told with the characters. Maybe it's because I read most of my comics in trade, but as long as good stories continue to get told, I'm fine with it. The creators behind everything seem to Jr pretty excited about it so I am too.

This revamp or reboot or whatever you want to call it doesn't invalidate the older stories and I don't are it as a also to the face of long time DC fans such a myself. It's an opportunity for people to tell new stories with some really great characters and an opportunity for q couple new people to start reading them. I don't understand why people are so upset about it. If rather keep getting new stories rather than

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By kennybaese

Rather than get more of the same. Sorry, that's what I get for trying to comment on my phone.

TheShame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 21

#37  Edited By TheShame

Hit the nail on the head.  All this is due to Superman lawsuit; why would they otherwise tamper with batman under grant morrison or the new teen titans run? Simply because of the Supes origin lawsuit.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

HA!, I bet that if the comics don't sell well they will reveal that Flash ended up an another alternate reality that he must fix before going home or something just like Sliders.  HA!  If the revamp doesn't sell well, so he wakes up in an alternate reality, fixes it, revamps everything but then finds out its still not his earth when the sales don't work or people complain enough.
But if it is successful I think nothing will be said, no mention of this being an alternate reality or anything.  If the Revamp makes DC a lot of money and no one complains and sales go up and everyone is happy they could just say that the revamp is what we are thinking it is, a revamp.  But an alternate reality would give them a way out if they wanted one.  Not saying that they are scheming this, just that it would give them a way to revert back with little to no hassle.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#39  Edited By joshmightbe

its not a reboot its a revamp huge difference

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By CATPANEXE

I still think your and others are actually right on about the Flash point (Pun filled Pie am I?) or something similar where this is in fact an alternate timetable, without it being really said outright,
and that DC's angle here may be to change back down the line, keeping the new things that worked and reverting those that didn't back or to something similar, much like what was just done
with X-Men's Age Of X. It's more believable that this is an experiment and attempt to raise interest in otherwise overlooked properties of WB/DC

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jordanstine
@joshmightbe said:

its not a reboot its a revamp huge difference

Really?

re·vamp

    [ v. ree- vamp ; n. ree-vamp ] Show IPA
–verb (used with object) - to renovate, revise, redo or do over .

re·boot

  [ v. ree- boot ; n. ree- boot , ree-boot , ] Show IPA 
–verb (used with object) - to restart, to do over.
Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: Which brings to mind, with the renumbering wouldn't make more sense to simply reboot the series with content instead of hinting that Batman & Robin have been fighting crime for quite some time? Superman is younger. Superboy is two and a half years younger than his predecessor. Nightwing is Nightwing. Jason Todd won't blink himself out of existence. Every single character has a comic book. Simply recreating the heroes from scratch may have been a better choice in the long run.
kartron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 38

#43  Edited By kartron

great article. gives a different angle about the revamp..

Sekele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Sekele

"Back in the 90s, many readers may remember when Marvel did this. Well, they ended up doing it a few times, but not at the same exact time if my memory serves me correctly." 

I remember, THAT'S WHEN I STARTED READING COMICS!  

"I don't know if a 14 year old kid, who's never read a comic before in his or her life is going to hop onto DC because of the revamp and start reading Firestorm, Aquaman, or Batwing. " 

I'll let these comments speak for themselves 

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jordanstine: Just go with it. Some people would call it a reimagining. Hmm, like the Dark Knight.
elayem98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By elayem98

uggh dc... THIS COULD BE THE GREATEST THING EVER....if only they made it another universe like ultimate marvel. it would draw in new younger readers, and not be a slap to the face of longtime fans.

kimeraevet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By kimeraevet

This is the kind of nonsense that ruined WIldstorm. Why are they restarting all of this with the main books? I could understand an Ultimate line and I can even understand starting from scratch, but this is something else. This also feels extremely rushed considering DC isn't going the Marvel route and producing a great movie based off any of their properties and incorporating elements of the film into the comics to give new readers something familiar to adhere to.

blur1528

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#48  Edited By blur1528

Man oh man, I love SLIDERS but I cannot bring myself to watch Season 5

MFK300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MFK300

At the risk of sounding, well... Evil... I am thoroughly enjoying watching everyone panic. It's always so gloom and doom when something like this happens. I think what DC is doing is stirring the pot for attention, and that's just whats happening. They are being talked about in the L.A. Times, New York Times, Forbes(that's right F'N FORBES), and the list goes on. We're seeing DC get a lot of attention from this act and that's going to help them out a lot. No longer is DC having to bank on "Big Blue" and "The Cowl". More and more of their titles will be noticed now, even some of your favorites that aren't exactly known will no have a chance to get the following that probably would not grow if they were not doing something like this. Everyone's heads are turning, hair is standing on the necks of many, I personally think that everyone needs to calm down and see what happens, and lets say that if by December it turns out everything is sucking then, and only then should we start screaming "F*** DC, THEY RAPED MY CHILDHOOD!" etc. etc.

DeawonCDelaney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By DeawonCDelaney

In all honesty there will be so many "back doors" out of this revamp, because what they are saying is that they want to bring new fans to DC Comics, in my opinion thats what the movies are for. Lets be honest comics books are going the way of the dodo and the only thing keeping it alive are the hardcore fans that they are pissing off. People mention that change came in the 80's and 90s and your right it did but the comic book franchise was at its peak, now all change has done is alienate fans further.  

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.