Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Why DC casting always sucks?

• 53 results
    Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ben Affleck as Batman

Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman

Ezra Miller as Flash

Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor

Seriously, what's the problem? who the hell is the Warner's casting agent???

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

None of these castings suck, because we haven't seen the movie yet.

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
    BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

You can't say they always suck when you can come up with 4 flawed examples at best

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#4  Edited By amazing_webhead

You know what other casting call everyone thought would suck?

How wrong were they, huh?

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It's not DC, it's WB, two different companies.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou said:

None of these castings suck, because we haven't seen the movie yet.

You can't say they always suck when you can come up with 4 flawed examples at best

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moul: they don't always suck, some sucked and others you are assuming will suck

Juke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Who cares? They picked them for a reason, they'll be fine. You'll pick anything to complain over these days...

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah because Henry Cavill, Laurence Fishbourne, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon. Russell Crowe, Heath Ledger, Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, Tom Hardy, Cillian Murphy, Liam Neeson, Gary Oldman, Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway, and Aaron Eckhart were all terrible casting decisions...

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
    EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EarthsMightiest
    No Caption Provided

Flame On!!

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

In the immortal words of Ron Swanson

Shut your damn mouth

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silverpool: Amy Adams is a terrible Lois Lane and the others are actors of the Nolan's trilogy. I was spoking about the new movies

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moul said:

@captainmarvel4ever: Marvel has more respect for the fans

I'm sorry, but that's just BS. You're obviously just bitter about something. If you really have such a problem with casting choices that haven't even been seen on film yet, maybe you should apply for the casting director at WB. I'm sure you have all the proper credentials.

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

So I take it you've just come back from 10 years into the future and seen all 10 of DC's movies? So how were they? What was the plot? Were there any surprise easter eggs nobody saw coming or even noticed? What was the Cyborg movie like since I'm curious about that?

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moul said:

You didn't read what I typed, did you?

@eyedcyou said:

@moul said:

I'm sorry, but that's just BS. You're obviously just bitter about something. If you really have such a problem with casting choices that haven't even been seen on film yet, maybe you should apply for the casting director at WB. I'm sure you have all the proper credentials.

I think he's just baiting you man

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EyeDCyou
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou: Actually no, it didn't show up, or it just got lost in the stream of messages I'm always getting. Try sending me a PM instead.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: Ah, well I was just asking if you read Justice League 35 yet, because Shazam is just getting better and better.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou: I did, he was a little better, I wasn't a huge fan of the hotdog scene at first, but then I saw this and it made me smile

http://sen1227.tumblr.com/archive
    http://sen1227.tumblr.com/archive

I really don't want him to just be a comedy relief character, but a few jokes every once in a while is fine

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: Haha man I love that friendship. I really liked his first line about Wonder Woman. Hopefully he'll get a major story arc at some point and allow for him to develop a bit more.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou: Yeah I hope we get a chance to see him written as a more well rounded character. I wasn't a fan of his New 52 origin series, but I can say it was very well written. Lately he seems like all he does is say one liners. I'm also absolutely loving his friendship with Vic, that's one of the New 52 changes that I really like.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou: Hey BTW, I've been thinking of starting up a fan forum/discussion page for the character here on the Vine (still not sure yet) for the character, and a couple other CM fans said they would love to join in, what do you think?

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By EyeDCyou
    Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Someone of reasonable intelligence and faith in the choices obviously.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou: Cool, I'll start thinking about setting it up, I'll keep you updated on any pregress, or let you know if I need an opinion on something.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By deathstroke52

@moul said:

Ben Affleck as Batman

Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman

Ezra Miller as Flash

Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor

Ben Affleck isn't that bad actually

Gal Gadot I don't really like but I can live with it

Ezra Miller has potential to be a good Flash

Jesse Eisenberg I think will be a great Lex.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ben Affleck has the looks and the acting chops for the role. Admittedly I'm a little worried that I won't be able to look past his celebrity presence to be able to see the character though.

I'm in the minority but I actually think Gal Gadot was prefect casting. Assuming a little bulking up which I think she's done I think she looks perfect for the role. There are a lot of beautiful actresses out there but Gal really stands out as someone who could really be deserving of the title "as beautiful as Aphrodite". Plus she has those Mediterranean features that really make her look the part. She's yet to have been tested with a role quite this big yet but I've loved her in everything ice seen her in, and she just has this natural presences that I think will make her perfect for playing Wonder Woman. Kinda a mix between elegance and feminine ferocity.

Ezra Miller was a pretty surprising casting announcement but he's a good actor. Looks wise he wasn't what I was expecting but I think after changing his hair color he could work. The most surprising thong about him is his age though. He's actually about the same age as the tv Flash, but I think people were expecting a actor in their late 30s to match with the other characters. For all we know though he could be Wally West.

Early in his career Jessie Eisenberg was just know as the less attractive Micheal Cera but he's really stepped it up over the years. Those less aware of his later performances might still have that perception of him though. There's also the age issue once again. I think a lot of people think that for Lex to have gathered enough influence and resources to be a threat he would need to be much older. This up and coming take on Lex could be interesting though.

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jessie eisenberg was an egomaniac in social network.

Lex luthoe is a arrogant egomaniac in comics.

If that isn't perfect casting tell me what is?

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MakkyD

Could someone still explain the problem with Ben Affleck as Batman? Hopefully, it's a more sensible reason than just being annoyed over a 11 year old film.

JJ_Was_Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moul: I am going to try and be as nice as possible about this as I can be. See, I'm old and I am prone to delivering wordy lectures. If it sounds like I am talking down to you, then I am sorry:

The problem with your anger on the casting is that it is completely unfounded. No movie has been released, therefore there is no logical reasoning for your remarks. You can say that "Ben Affleck is a terrible actor" but I'm willing to bet you've only seen a handful of his movies and are probably just gravitating towards the panned Daredevil movie for your basis in which case your view is tainted because any rational person could see he was FAR from the worst thing about that movie. And before you turn and say "He was in Gigli!" like every other Affleck-hater on the interwebs, I'm willing to bet that you, just like everyone else that says it, probably haven't seen the movie.

Jessie Eisenberg has proven that he can be a righteous douche in movies. In fact, I'll bet that's going to be his niche in the not-too-distant future so he can stop being called the "poor man's Michael Cera" or whatever. Amy Adams is an amazing actress front to back and killed it as a fearless, no-crap reporter. Is it because her hair isn't dark? That's a silly reason to not like an actor. Ezra Miller was phenomenal in The Perks of being a Wallflower. He captured that character so good that my only problem with him being the Flash is that I'm going to be thinking of that roll that he crushed. As for Gal Gadot, well, if you're only problem with her is that she doesn't look the part (which I'm assuming it is because that's what everyone else is crying about) then I don't know what to tell you. I'm pulling for her. Keeping an open mind. Excited to see this movie usher in a broader DCCU.

My point to all of this longwindedness is that it is incredibly easy to just take up the mantel of a thoughtless hater and just say "it suckz because obviously bad decisions" and not actually look at how it could possibly be good. If you want to take up the sword against something that everyone, even the people who say they don't, wants to see then fine. Be angry and hateful. But at least be original about it. Don't just come in here and start reciting the same old drivel that everyone else is conjuring up. Go and see some of their movies. Go see Gone Girl. Go see the Perks of Being a Wallflower. Go see the fighter. Stop saying "this is going to suck because these actors and Nolan is awesome blah blah blah". The Dark Knight Trilogy was FAR from perfect. You sound like a cookie cutter hater. A clone. You sound like a follower that wants to be part of the crowd because it's ironic.

Darktimecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingwebhead: arnold swartzanegger was also an odd casting choice, AND LOOK HOW THAT TURNED OUT.

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have a problem with any of these actors.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd said:

Could someone still explain the problem with Ben Affleck as Batman? Hopefully, it's a more sensible reason than just being annoyed over a 11 year old film.

He has had a few stinkers amongst the films he's played in but not directed himself. He's a bigger risk than Bale was.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MakkyD

@outside_85: Everyone has had stinkers, even the greatest actors. Most of his recent films (Argo, Gone Girl and The Company Men) have been very positive. I just don't see the purpose of this level of negativity, it's not like they got a cheesy 80s action star or a terrible miscast such as getting Jonah Hill for the role.

He's a relatively solid actor, who suits the rugged, tall, dark and handsomeness of Bruce Wayne. He even has the chiseled chin, when in the batsuit.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: Few has as bad ones as Ben's. And I specifically said "movies he didn't direct", because for him it's just far easier to live out what he imagined rather than what someone else imagines.

Ben won an Oscar for best screenplay, editing and best movie. In BvS it is just Ben, having to do what Snyder wants him to do, the relative solid actor, as you called him. And thats what worries me.

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't really say the casting sucks....its to early. I would say between Marvel and DC they will probably end up doing about the same. I don't like Scarlet Johansen, Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, and even Robert Downey gets on my nerves now and don't get me started on the Agents of Shield cast.

nobodyisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm more afraid for who their director choices. I love the Ezra Miller pick, and I don't think the others are terrible.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: Few has as bad ones as Ben's. And I specifically said "movies he didn't direct", because for him it's just far easier to live out what he imagined rather than what someone else imagines.

Ben won an Oscar for best screenplay, editing and best movie. In BvS it is just Ben, having to do what Snyder wants him to do, the relative solid actor, as you called him. And thats what worries me.

He's very good in Gone Girl, he's getting better as an actor.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viin said:

Can't really say the casting sucks....its to early. I would say between Marvel and DC they will probably end up doing about the same. I don't like Scarlet Johansen, Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, and even Robert Downey gets on my nerves now and don't get me started on the Agents of Shield cast.

What's wrong with Evans? I like him as Cap. But yeah I don't like the others except Chris as Thor, loved RDJ in IM 1 but after that he got a little bit annoying, Mark Ruffalo is okay IMO, liked Norton better and while I'm a big Johannson fan, I don't like her as BW.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

Which is also a movie he directs, is it not?

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By RustyRoy

@outside_85 said:

@rustyroy said:

Which is also a movie he directs, is it not?

No, Fincher directed it.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Jesse Eisenburg as Lex could potentially be really good, he was far from my first choice for Luthor but I think he can pull it off. Ezra and Gal I didn't like, and I'm on the fence about Ben Affleck but that doesn't qualify as always.

vallis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How hard is it to play Superman? he's a robot with the bill of rights burned in his skull.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.