Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

What's the better Rebirth book: Hal Jordan and the GLC or Green Lanterns?

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm really trying to squeeze another title into my trades collection, and it really bothers me that I don't currently have a Green Lantern title lined up.

Now that both Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corp and Green Lanterns have been out in single issues for a while, does anyone have any opinion about whether one is more worthwhile than the other?

The Rebirth trades are coming in, and I need to make a decision.

In a perfect world I'd read both, but I can't justify reading 7 ongoing titles... So which one do you suggest I go for.

UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Depends on your previous history with the GL line I think. Hal Jordan's comic is more of the streamlined book in that it takes the history of the New 52 run, plus the two Corps minis, while Lanterns is a fun title that focuses on the two newest members and you don't need to know that much GL history for that book.

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on your previous history with the GL line I think. Hal Jordan's comic is more of the streamlined book in that it takes the history of the New 52 run, plus the two Corps minis, while Lanterns is a fun title that focuses on the two newest members and you don't need to know that much GL history for that book.

I'm very familiar with Green Lantern history in general as well as Simon and Jessica's New 52 introductions, so that's not really a problem for me.

My main concern was actual quality of writing/enjoyment factor of the stories themselves.

I was also thinking that as Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz are Justice League members now it might be better to follow them as it will be more in keeping with relevant DC chronology, especially with the Watchmen saga on the horizon, whereas the Hal book seems more a set of side adventures.

I love Hal and Robert Venditti as a writer, hence the tough choice. I was just wondering if anyone had a clear cut response from reading both titles.

UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rainshadow777: I think both are very good. I think I like Hal and Corps more just because it's a continuing storyline from the last bits of the New 52, but at the same time I feel like Green Lanterns is putting out things that we haven't seen in a GL book, like Jessica's struggle to become a lantern.

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rainshadow777: I think both are very good. I think I like Hal and Corps more just because it's a continuing storyline from the last bits of the New 52, but at the same time I feel like Green Lanterns is putting out things that we haven't seen in a GL book, like Jessica's struggle to become a lantern.

You seem determined to sit on the fence with this one ultimatepower6! I can only choose one!

UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rainshadow777: Yeah, haha. I don't like to say what's best definitively, but I like to try and show the taste of each book for the buyer to know.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
    thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hal and The GLC, even though GLs is pretty passable.

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rainshadow777: Yeah, haha. I don't like to say what's best definitively, but I like to try and show the taste of each book for the buyer to know.

I'm trying to take the easy path and I know there isn't going to be one hahaha.

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hal and The GLC, even though GLs is pretty passable.

Thanks. Also, Justice League is likely to cover more of Simon and Jessica's exploits, so I would have that base partly covered anyway.

It's all falling into place.

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first arc of Green Lanterns was horrible, so buy HJ&GLC. For an actual good story on the Green Lanterns title, wait till "The Phantom Lantern" comes out on trades.

Rurgandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Green Lanterns is more character-driven, but has major issues with overly repetitive and exposition-filled dialogue. Hal Jordan is a bit better, and is more or less an action book that consolidates everything in the Lantern world not used in GLs.

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok thanks I'm getting a pretty good picture here.

Avatar image for redwhiteandbluesupes
    RedWhiteAndBlueSupes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

H&GLC but niether are stellar

mogo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mogo1

Glc for sure for me as a long standing GL fan. The corps has more of the stuff I like about constantly having new GL mythos. I'm enjoying GL too but sometimes the two characters can be frustrating the way they are portrayed. GL has new stories too, like the Phantom Ring. That was new and interesting

But also I may be leaning heavy towards glc because I just read issue 14 with the return of Saint walker and some cool new artist

comic_bruh777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps. Great stuff

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mogo1 said:

Glc for sure for me as a long standing GL fan. The corps has more of the stuff I like about constantly having new GL mythos. I'm enjoying GL too but sometimes the two characters can be frustrating the way they are portrayed. GL has new stories too, like the Phantom Ring. That was new and interesting

But also I may be leaning heavy towards glc because I just read issue 14 with the return of Saint walker and some cool new artist

I love Saint Walker. Oh man. I think I'll go with Hal's book. I wish he was still a part of the Justice League.

laughingbatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps. Great stuff

@rainshadow777 this. Green Lanterns is fun, but the Hal Jordan book is so much more interesting and the art is better too IMO. Like @mogo1 said, GLs has some cool stuff, but HJ/GLC is a better read.

tonezbalonez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm all about Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps. In my opinion, better characters, better art and a better story so far. I'm hooked and looking forward to this upcoming arc with Saint Walker - love when he gets thrown into the mix. Also waiting for Star Sapphire to jump into the series... missing me some Carol!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.