Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

What happens after Convergence?

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

Now it's been pointed out to me that Convergence was made with the intent to be a "goodbye tour" for DC's Old 52 Universe.... I'm saddened by that fact, but I decided to look on the bright side. Namely, all the ways DC can use this event to FIX the New 52. If you won't bring back the Old 52? Make the New 52 more palatable. As such I've come up with a list of changes to the universe as a whole that I believe will work

1: GET RID OF THE WILDSTORM INFLUENCE!

Trying to merge Wildstorm universe with the DC Universe is liking trying to merge the Marvel Universe with the DC Universe! A SMALL number of characters is fine, but the entirety of the New 52 has felt like EARLY Wildstorm from day one, partly due to Jim Lee being a major player in BOTH universe's creation. Wildstorm doesn't mesh well as a whole with the DCU. It was already it's own fully functioning universe that played by a DIFFERENT set of rules than DC or even Marvel. They had their own Superman, their own extended history. If anything Wildstorm was as close to an Ultimate Universe as DC ever had! That being said, chuck out the influence.

2: Replace New 52 Superman

Well replace is a strong word, more like... Merge traits together. In short take Earth One Superman's origin, add the idea of New 52's first big supervillain fight being Braniac, make him more like the DCAU Superman who was a BETTER merging of traits with the Golden Age and Modern Superman(A bit more action oriented, but still knows when to try diplomacy) and give him Earth One's costume,

No Caption Provided

3:Establish Superheroes LONG BEFORE FIVE YEARS!!!!!

Part of the problem with the New 52 is the lack of history and it all being CRAMMED into a 5 year time span.... That's just idiotic and pointless and makes the ENTIRE universe seem so unbelievably rushed it's not even FUNNY! I suggest using a take on the Seven Soldiers of Victory, a superhero team that did NOT have any members with superpowers. This way, Superman can still be considered the first superhero as he is the first one to have superpowers in this universe.

4: Keep Earth 2 but... Fix it.

And by "fix it" I mean make it like this

No Caption Provided

In this new Earth 2, superheroes have been around for DECADES, and in many respects the universe is almost identical to the Old 52 Universe, though with more traditional Earth Two elements like Kara Zor-L AKA Power Girl having never been Supergirl in this universe. The major differences being that the Justice Society is the ONLY superhero team. It's been that way since it's inception in the 1940's and on into the newer decades of the universe. Even make individual series based in this universe with Earth 2 versions of characters to do a lot mor world building, Power Girl comes to mind instantly for this.

5: The Teen Titans or should I say... Titans?

No Caption Provided

Basically the Titans are this universe's version of both the Teen Titans and the Titans AKA the older team of the original Titans. To compensate for the lack of the JSA being an active superteam, the Titans are another team alongside the Justice League. Initially founded by Dick Grayson after he left his role as Robin and became Nightwing, along with Wally West a speedster who took the name Impulse, the Amazon empowered Donna Troy AKA Fury, the Atlantean Garth named Tempest with the magical power to summon and control water, and Roy Harper AKA Arsenal a former partner to Green Arrow. The team is later joined by several new members such as Cyborg who eventually moves onto the Justice League, Raven, Starfire, and many more.

That's all I got for now, but please post your own ideas for what should happen after this event is done

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By dimitridkatsis

Not like I don't agree but do you really think you'll accomplish anything?

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

So far the only characters DC need to get a grip on is Wonder Woman and Green Lantern.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By SaintWildcard
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard: I have kept up to date on a NUMBER of New 52 titles since it began.... I admit, Pak's work is ALMOST as good as Morrsion's Action Comics run(I STILL say that is New 52 Superman at his best and I wish Morrsion's portrayal had continued on through the other titles with Superman in it).

I find New 52 Teen Titans to be a massive HEAP of a garbage. I admit I've warmed up MORE to the Earth 2 of the New 52, since unlike the mainstream DCU at the moment it's not TRYING to be anything other than it's own original take and I respect that. I wish DC had honored the original Earth 2 function and kept the ORIGINAL universe intact within it, but I digress.

The most MAJOR complaint I had with the New 52 is that they had the chance to change things. To make things BETTER, to fix all the inconsistency and put characters who weren't as popular yet great characters unto themselves and shove them into the limelight.... And they FAILED. Power Girl is the most notable.

They could FIX her origin, since let's be totally honest here, the alternate dimensional angle doesn't help when being adapted to other stuff. Why not make it where she IS Clark's cousin, NOT his cousin from another universe, his actual cousin and Supergirl is HER clone. There would be more to it than that obviously, but that's one of the major things. I don't see WHY that never came up. It fixes SO many things! You still got a Supergirl for a recognizable character to market that's related to Superman, S-shield and all, and you've got a good and clear cut origin for Power Girl with NO problems or hiccups in it whatsoever.

Also there are things I PRAISE about the New 52! The new take on Shazam! Billy Batson was always meant to be the Wizard Shazam's successor and thus BECOMES Shazam, inheriting the title, power, and duty from the Wizard. While I admit I do not CARE for the removal of the acronym from the name Shazam, which originally stood for Solomon, Hercules, Achilles, Zeus, Atlas(In some later depictions Apollo), and Mercury, I can still see the reasoning behind this. Billy Batson even when he was called Captain Marvel WAS meant to take over for Shazam so really I see the logical SENSE to that change of things.... I still find Billy to be annoying when I NEVER have in ANY other version of him, but still.

I hate what DC chose to focus on. In other words fixing what wasn't broken and not fixing what was.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

I agree with all this mostly. The Wildstorm influence is one of the most hated feeling I got from the reboot especially since now no Wildstorm characters could even hold up against the like of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, or the other DC heroes in the long run. Now they are all just kinda floating along in Futures End. It is a very different feeling. While DC has had some reboots in the past they still had the same vibe somewhat. Everything felt right still. Its kinda hard to explain.

From the recent Superman stuff I think Superman is better though I do want a more classic costume. Really a more classic costume for them all. I never thought the old costumes were broken or anything. I think they were all iconic and goofy though the type of goofy that didn't ruin the seriousness. It was a type of goofy that made them look fun. I understand I am in the minority though I really just want the armor looks out. They tend to look too cluttered when done by a majority of the artist whose names aren't Jim Lee or Jason Fabok. And I know there others though still. They aren't as simple which is often times needed for icons.

I love the idea you have for Seven Soldiers. Much of the original members (except for Green Arrow, Speedy, and Stripesy) have yet to appear in the New 52. Sir Justin's Shining Knight can still be the Shining Knight along with Vigilante, Crimson Avenger, the Star Spangled Kid, Stripesy, Johnny Quick, and Liberty Bell. They referenced Sylvester Pemberton, the original Star Spangled Kid in Justice League of America already so they could go off of that. I really think some legacy even as small as bringing the Seven Soldiers could help make the DC universe feel somewhat like its older self instead of Wildstorm.

I love your Titans idea though I always liked the name Troia. I always thought it sounded pretty cool though I get the reference. Also I really like your Earth 2 idea. The new Earth 2 has grown on me though with the Aztecs being right over there I think it would be cool to bring in a new classic Justice Society. Especially one where they could release more books maybe featuring Power Girl, Huntress, Dr. Fate, and others. Also we need to get Hawkgirl out of there. I don't care that they have a Hawkgirl though we need a Hawkgirl for the main world too. If the Trinity can have replicas of them why not others?

With my own ideas I think some beneficial changes would be costume. They don't have to bring back the underwear on the outside though they can take away the armor lines. And really just convert back to old designs or better ones for characters like Harley Quinn and Black Canary.

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crazyscarecrow: The REASON those reboots felt right was because they actually DID something! Reboot to the Silver Age? We got Barry Allen and Hal Jordan. Totally new takes on classic characters of The Flash and Green Lantern. Post Crisis? We got to see a DC in a way we've never seen before a totally new frontier if you will and genuinely interesting takes on characters, we got characters added like Captain Atom, The Question, Blue Beetle, along with Captain Marvel and the Marvel Family.

In short? They GAVE something that was needed... The New 52 was just a marketing ploy that has served its purpose.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

@smart_dork_dude: Yes! You totally got it right. You really are a smart dork, dude! (Shoot me right now. I can't believe I just made that pun.)

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rubear

You are not that naive to belive in it, are you?)

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Number 2 is like the worst idea ever. Though I do love Earth One Superman.

Dude, Earth 2 is an awesome book. Or would be if it could slow the pace and find a character to focus on for at least more than one issue.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trying to merge Wildstorm universe with the DC Universe is liking trying to merge the Marvel Universe with the DC Universe! A SMALL number of characters is fine, but the entirety of the New 52 has felt like EARLY Wildstorm from day one, partly due to Jim Lee being a major player in BOTH universe's creation. Wildstorm doesn't mesh well as a whole with the DCU. It was already it's own fully functioning universe that played by a DIFFERENT set of rules than DC or even Marvel. They had their own Superman, their own extended history. If anything Wildstorm was as close to an Ultimate Universe as DC ever had! That being said, chuck out the influence.

Not sure about that, but maybeeee...

2: Replace New 52 Superman

Well replace is a strong word, more like... Merge traits together. In short take Earth One Superman's origin, add the idea of New 52's first big supervillain fight being Braniac, make him more like the DCAU Superman who was a BETTER merging of traits with the Golden Age and Modern Superman(A bit more action oriented, but still knows when to try diplomacy) and give him Earth One's costume,

Not agree with DCAU SUperman been "better merging of traits" and definite HELL NO to any costume with red briefs.

Other ideas are retty sound.

P.S. Don't think though that anything like that will happen.

Avatar image for justiceleaguecanada
    JusticeLeagueCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 98

Global Guardians need to make their debut in the New 52. So far, we have Doctor Mist, Fire, Ice, Godiva, and Olympian. It wouldn't hurt to see the entire team from pre-Flashpoint (even dead ones like Bushmaster) as well as new foreign heroes.

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I have no idea, but i hope that we won't see the last of the characters that will appear in Convergence.

In my opinion DC should make the Blood Moon into the new New 52 Earth-2...or just another Earth in the New 52 Multiverse, with a ongoing.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I'm beginning to think Convergence might be DC's 21st Century attempt at Zero Hour. Retcon a few Pre New 52 histories and characters into the New 52, patch up the continuity issues and maybe make these characters feel a little more familiar than they have been thus far.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After Convergence?

Simple, wait two to six months for the next over hyped event.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I agree to a point. They should have fit a few things that worked into DC and less of a merge.

3:Establish Superheroes LONG BEFORE FIVE YEARS!!!!!

I disagree. Yes they tried to fit too much into five years so they shouldn't have tried. I liked that reboots clean out the history closet a bit and made these characters younger. Problem was the changing of good things that didn't need changing. They went too far in some cases and not far enough in others.

4: Keep Earth 2 but... Fix it.

Disagree. Earth 2 as it was was one of the best things to happen in the 52 before it got ruined by trinity taking over and them going all ultimate universe.

5: The Teen Titans or should I say... Titans?

Disagree with this also. While I'm ok with merging the younger generation a bit, they should be the younger generation. Mostly late to middle teens.

kenshima15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stopped reading when he said N52 Supes should have Earth's One Costume, its 2015...not 1998.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

Blergh...I still haven't been persuaded enough to even pick up convergence in the first place, let alone contemplate what happens later.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.