Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Thoughts on Wally West II?

Avatar image for firestarlord73194
    FireStarLord73194

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I will admit, before I knew original Wally was returning I hated this guy. Now that I know he's a new character and the Original Wally has returned I'm starting to like him. I look forward to seeing him as Kid Flash. I always liked the idea of young heroes discovering their powers and figuring out what to do with them, which is why I like him so much. Have you warmed up to liking Wally II?
    I will admit, before I knew original Wally was returning I hated this guy. Now that I know he's a new character and the Original Wally has returned I'm starting to like him. I look forward to seeing him as Kid Flash. I always liked the idea of young heroes discovering their powers and figuring out what to do with them, which is why I like him so much. Have you warmed up to liking Wally II?

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never had anything against him in the first place. He should be cool. He's probably the only character that I'll be looking forward to learning about in the new Teen Titans series, along with Raven.

FireStarLord73194

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

Avatar image for deactivated-5af85f4e3dbf7
    deactivated-5af85f4e3dbf7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll warm up to him only if DC changes his name.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
    life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

He's a good kid.

FireStarLord73194

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

did you read Kid Flash of Two Worlds? Wally meets Wally and so Wally gets said A LOT. It'd be cool if they changed his name maybe to Wallace or Rudy (isn't rudolph his middle name?) A name change would definitely help

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's the thing, I think dc wanted him to be the one true wally, and then t hey realized they effed up and brought the other one back, just like superman. he is unnecessary and could have been his own person, but tried to be creative.

Avatar image for deactivated-5af85f4e3dbf7
    deactivated-5af85f4e3dbf7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wallywest042 said:

did you read Kid Flash of Two Worlds? Wally meets Wally and so Wally gets said A LOT. It'd be cool if they changed his name maybe to Wallace or Rudy (isn't rudolph his middle name?) A name change would definitely help

Yeah, Wallace Rudolph. I think DC needs to create more original characters instead of repeating similar characters with different names. There are way too many speedsters in DC now.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

He's meh.

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now that my Wally is back I am not as hostile towards Wally II. I don't know how long having 2 Wallys will work. I will always prefer the original Wally. However I am curious to read about Wally II's relationship and dynamics with the Flash. Don't know if I'll ever truly warm up to the character though. Only time will tell.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@firestarlord73194 said:
    @wallywest042 said:

Yeah, Wallace Rudolph. I think DC needs to create more original characters instead of repeating similar characters with different names. There are way too many speedsters in DC now.

Not really.

As of now, the only active users of the Speed Force are:

• Barry
    • Wally
    • Wally (Redhead)
    • Godspeed
    • Prof. Zoom
    • Daniel West

Jay Garrick is probably out there somewhere, but his Earth-2 counterpart got his powers from the Roman God of Speed. Whether or not he's connected has yet to be revealed.

They just locked up Godspeed, Daniel has been locked up, and so has Prof. Zoom. There's also the girl that Barry was dating, but her fate has yet to be revealed. So, there's really only 3 active users we see. The other three are in prison. So, at most, we're back to where we were a few years ago when it was Barry, Wally, Bart, and Jay. Except now it's Barry, Wallyx2, and Jay who is MIA as of now.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

My dislike towards the second Wally West has turned to apathy after Rebirth brought back the original Wally West so I don't dislike him nearly as much for usurping a much better character's legacy. I don't care about him at all, same as Miles Morales, but he is at least his own character not stepping on anyone's toes. I can tolerate that.

Avatar image for redwhiteandbluesupes
    RedWhiteAndBlueSupes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: ditto dude, but it's hard for me to have apathy for this totally unlikable version of Wally who was only created for editorial reasons, I mean yeah the hatred abided somewhat after they brought the real Wally back, I mean I just don't see how they do anything interesting with him when his name is Wally West, what's he going to do become the Flash? Nope. kid flash? I think that mantle belongs to Bart Allen. He just doesn't fit in the flash family

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@redwhiteandbluesupes: What happened to Bart though.

Have you read Teen Titans. It's fun actually. Wally is cool.

But my favorite member is Damian.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have Darkseid kill him

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@nerevarine_11: You're too generous. Have CW kill him or oe

Better have Snyder kill him. That's not too difficult for him anyways.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
    Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

He should be killed off IMO. Give him a name change at least.

RedWhiteAndBlueSupes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: My dislike towards the second Wally West has turned to apathy after Rebirth brought back the original Wally West so I don't dislike him nearly as much for usurping a much better character's legacy... hes still usurping a better characters Legacy... Bart Allen @nerevarine_11: Have Darkseid kill him... LOL. if it were up to me he'd be the next Superboy Prime. @eto: the Real Bart? Hell I think he's probably locked up in one of Mr Oz cells next to red robin, not sure but I expect he'll return before the rebirth event is over.

Avatar image for mattydavehalpeo
    MattyDaveHalPeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: New 52 Jay does get his speed from the Speedforce, as he's pictured alongside the other speedsters in Multiversity (the other implication being that the continuity we call New 52 Earth 2 existed on some level prior to Flashpoint as he is different to classic Jay).

As for Wally West II, he's perfectly likeable imho, but his existence annoys me for three reasons:

1) his story is essentially a retread of the much more fleshed out Wally West I and thus their coexistence is a weird (though not unworkable )situation.

2) With Kenyon Lonsdale also being cast as Wally in the CW show, the combination of the two means that new fans have a bias against Ginger Wally despite him being THE Flash for like 25 years and having better storylines than Barry has had before or since.

3) Considering how at least one Bart Allen exists in post-Flashpoint continuity (Bar Torr, as well as potentially classic Bart Allen as XS has featured in a New 52 title), having two Wallies feels like overkill.

All in all, it's pretty obvious what happened here. Wally II was originally intended to be a replacement to Wally I, with the latter only being brought back once hindsight revealed to the editors that the removal of such a beloved character's history was a grave mistake. Kid Flash of Two Worlds dealt with the headache this causes quite well, but since I'm a pessimist, I wouldn't be surprised if Wally I bites the bullet to stop Dr Manhattan. Think about it, Titans teased Wally I's death a couple of issues in, brought him back, and then mentioned Manhattan. I'll be sad if they kill Wally I off, but if they do it in a way like Barry in CoIE, and without the desecration of his character like what Identity Crisis did for Barry, I can't complain too much. It's not as though DC has it in them to kill a minority child character when there's an adult character who has proven countless times that he is happy to die heroically. Despite saying this, I'm still sad that we never saw Irey West grow a few more years to become the next Kid Flash.

RedWhiteAndBlueSupes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattydavehalpeo: they better not kill off Wally I, I just don't think that's the direction DC is headed, Didio and company has gotten so much hate at conventions for changing Wally West, they knew bringing him back would be a big deal, and I don't think it's any coincidence he's the first character to reappear in rebirth.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redwhiteandbluesupes: I would much prefer Bart Allen to come back, the real Bart Allen not that butchery of an alien criminal Lobdell wrote in his Teen Titans series. But unfortunately comics nowadays have to have at least some 'diverse' representation so whining crybabies don't throw a fit so enter bi-racial Wally West. He was technically bi-racial, white mum, black dad. As long as I have the Wally West I know and love back, I can tolerate this knock off.

MattyDaveHalPeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redwhiteandbluesupes: That's exactly why it's entered my mind. Ginger Wally played a big part in Rebirth - he's one of the characters who it revolves around so to speak - so as a pessimist I think it's at least within the realm of possibility that he lays down his life at some point.

RedWhiteAndBlueSupes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattydavehalpeo: said "That's exactly why it's entered my mind." I mean I get where you're coming from( treatment of the JSA during Zero Hour, 90s hawkman, emerald twilight etc) but I think if DC wanted Wally dead or deemphasised, they already had that status quo, why bring him back (to much fan praise) tease the pre flashpoint universe, and then have him sacrifice himself to bring back the n52 status quo? Doesn't make sense

RedWhiteAndBlueSupes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: said "I would much prefer Bart Allen to come back, the real Bart Allen not that butchery of an alien criminal Lobdell wrote in his Teen Titans series." TRUTH. "As long as I have the Wally West I know and love back, I can tolerate this knock off." Meh.. it pushes the limits of my tolerance honestly, DC has good diverse characters, but not wally 2

MattyDaveHalPeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MattyDaveHalPeo

@lvenger: said "I would much prefer Bart Allen to come back, the real Bart Allen not that butchery of an alien criminal Lobdell wrote in his Teen Titans series." TRUTH. "As long as I have the Wally West I know and love back, I can tolerate this knock off." Meh.. it pushes the limits of my tolerance honestly, DC has good diverse characters, but not wally 2

Right now Wally II has very little to offer besides being a Wally I reimagination, but if they do change his name as suggested above, to Rudy or Daniel Jr, I might be okay with it. Especially as they seem to want to explore Wally II's opinion of his father, Daniel. If he wasn't a Teen Titan, I'd go as far as suggesting they make him a Dark Flash style anti-hero to differentiate him from the original Wally.

RedWhiteAndBlueSupes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattydavehalpeo: vote+1 for making him into a dark Flash anti-hero, plus it wouldn't be totally out of character for him with his new 52 background, it might actually make him interesting" the Titan that went bad"

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ScouterV

@mattydavehalpeo: It's possible a version of Earth-2 existed. Although, If Jay is connected to the Speed Force, it wouldn't be an issue anyway, because E2 Jay doesn't interact with Earth-0 and as of now, is the only Speedster known to his world.

As for your annoyance, I disagree. I think Wallys' journey is pretty unique. Ginger Wally didn't have an evil father, or blame a hero for the loss of his family. Ginger Wally doesn't struggle with doubt over who he could be the way Wally does.

Secondly, that's subjective. Some people think Wally is better and some prefer Barry. Some preferred Jay to and probably saw Barry as a young upstart while touting longevity of Jay as the Flash. You even sound like you have a bias against Wally.

And thirdly, we have like 5 Green Lanterns, tons of Bats, and possibly two Superboys, considering Conner is somewhere. Two Wallys isn't that huge a deal p, and lI get itl, the others don't share first names, but my point stands.

I feel like people are nit-picking. Like they don't want to give him a chance just because of his name. In The Flash and Teen Titans I've enjoyed seeing him develop. Especially with his latest discovered power.

MattyDaveHalPeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: There's a bit of confusion since there are two Wallace Rudolph Wests running around right now. Ginger Wally's father was affiliated to the Manhunters wasn't he? So even the 'evil father' element of Wally II feels like a reframe of Wally I's past even if it is rather different. Both come from dysfunctional families and instead elect to look up to Iris and The Flash/Barry Allen

As for which Flash I prefer, the order goes: Ginger Wally, Jay Garrick, John Fox, Barry/Bart/Everyone else.

Having that many GLs from Sector 2814 has always been a gripe for me, especially since they're all as far as I'm aware humans. As for Batmen: Bruce is the mainstay, Jean-Paul and Dick and whoever else were interims, Tim is cool but is a future that will never become the present. However the idea of Iris West having two Wallace Rudolph Wests and Kid Flashes as nephews feels like a bit too much.

Now that he already exists, I'm up for giving Wally II a chance providing that the writers promise not to rip stories from Wally I and Bart, and instead give him a fresh direction. Surely giving one of the Wallys a new name would be good, ending a lot of confusion.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattydavehalpeo: But like you said, it's rather different. And for someone, it's their first time seeing this. Wally is there first Kid Flash.

And I have more than one nephew. It's not a hard concept for anyone, I wouldn't think. And wouldn't it just be easier to call older Wally Walter since it sounds more mature anyway?

MattyDaveHalPeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: Both Wallies are Wallace. The older Wally is Wallace not Walter in any case. The older character exists as a continuation of those brilliant 90's Flash arcs.

Having more than one nephew isn't a hard concept. But introducing a new reader to a character with two nephews, each from a troubled upbringing, both called Kid Flashes and Titans, both called Wallace Rudolph West; that's a bit much don't you think?

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ScouterV

@mattydavehalpeo: Not really. There are some many questions that I could ask from Rebirth that explaining the Wally situation is easy compared to say...Superman. Or heck, even Lobo.

MattyDaveHalPeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MattyDaveHalPeo

@scouterv: Rebirth is about returning to the things that we loved so much from before Flashpoint, but things should still be accessible to new readers at any point. I feel that the existence of two Supermen for a brief period was explained by Convergence and Lois & Clark. I'm not going to pretend I know what's happening between new and old Lobo. I still feel like there's not enough exposition to justify Wally II borrowing so heavily from Wally I.

RedWhiteAndBlueSupes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattydavehalpeo: said "Having more than one nephew isn't a hard concept. But introducing a new reader to a character with two nephews, each from a troubled upbringing, both called Kid Flashes and Titans, both called Wallace Rudolph West; that's a bit much don't you think?" Yep. I'm all for new characters but editorially mandated characters like Wally 2 just fly in the face of the fans, and if Bart Allen stays benched to make room for this idiot then that's even worse, I'm okay with his existence but when it's usurping a much better and more popular character like Bart then it makes me mad

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattydavehalpeo: The Flash family is supposed to be more light hearted even by DC standards, I'm not sure it would work to make Wally West II an anti-hero speedster.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

The writing on the Flash Rebirth run has made him likable.

BlueHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to hate him since he was supposed to replace wally but didn't have anything to do with the old version, personality,backstory,age,looks all completelly different it was ridiculous.

Now that he is a separate person he's ok to me, I wish people stopped calling him wally though, is kinda confusing.

FireStarLord73194

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
    ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i pretty much feel the same way.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

The biggest problem Wally the Other One has and still has: Is that DC tried to sell him to fans as the real Wally West.

Everyone had been asking for Wally's return for years, and DC then shows up to announce that 'Wally West is coming people!' and then revealed that the Wally West they were referring to had pretty much nothing to do with the Wally everyone had been asking for. Same name, same powers, none of looks and none of the personality. And the predictable response from fans was: rage.

And I know from myself that this feeling hasn't gone anywhere, I still dont like him, I still think he's a fraud. And I really would like to see him vanish, and I would definitely like to see Benjamin Percy stop trying to pair him with Raven over in Teen Titans... there was a damn reason why Raven and Wally worked like they did in NTT, and not worked, Percy appears to have read one page of that and just decided to copy it.

Ninja_Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juliedc: so you were hostile against him for being Wally when you thought the white red head was gone and didn’t look at whether he was a good character or not? Ignorant scum and now that you have your white Wally you’re all fine with the black one? Fucking disgraceful comic fans like you annoy me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.