Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Thoughts on the DCnU So Far?

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

Edited By JonesDeini
    Man new readers felt overwhelmed. Like
    Man new readers felt overwhelmed. Like "Why does Batman have a son?!" overwhelmed

So now that we're halfway through the DCnU's first month I've been reading some new reader reactions to the titles. It's certainly been a mixed bag and interesting to see them. One common thread I noticed was that almost all of the new readers wanted to get an Origin issue for the #1. As a longtime reader that's the total opposite of what I wanted. In fact, had that been the case I'd have likely dropped the books or at the very least hated every moment of reading the new stories. I do agree that going with a "soft reboot" was a terrible idea, but all things considered DC's really in a tough place. I mean, is there any way to truly satisfy loyal, longtime readers while being totally accessible and appealing to new buyers?

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Adnan

I still feel it would've been better to have the younger heroes beginning to take the place of the current ones, as opposed to just de-aging the current ones *grumble grumble*

Ranting aside, I'm also glad not every #1 is an origin story. I guess all the furor is about people not being sure about what's canon and what isn't, and a well-written origin story would solve that, to some extent anyway. I say that people should stop dicking around with what's canon for a while and just enjoy the stories for what they are. But perhaps I'm biased. I'm only following stuff like Demon Knights and Resurrection Man, whose characters got little/no attention pre-Flashpoint to begin with.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By JonesDeini

@Adnan said:

I still feel it would've been better to have the younger heroes beginning to take the place of the current ones, as opposed to just de-aging the current ones *grumble grumble*

Ranting aside, I'm also glad not every #1 is an origin story. I guess all the furor is about people not being sure about what's canon and what isn't, and a well-written origin story would solve that, to some extent anyway. I say that people should stop dicking around with what's canon for a while and just enjoy the stories for what they are. But perhaps I'm biased. I'm only following stuff like Demon Knights and Resurrection Man, whose characters got little/no attention pre-Flashpoint to begin with.

Totally dig what you're saying. I'm less concerned with cannon and want to take these stories as they are right now. I can appreciate nods to pre Flashpoint continuity, but it won't make or break a story for me. As a vet, I'm glad that most of the books I read have opted to just tell stories and not bore me with an origin.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By the_tree

No complaints from me, a majority of the titles I've read have been great.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JonesDeini

@The_Tree:

I've enjoyed most of the books I've read, but still feel that a good bit of issues felt rushed and less polished. But all the stuff I've read has done what it needed to do to hook me for at least an arc.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By the_tree

@JonesDeini: What books are you most unsure that you'll stay on?

I'm pretty wary on Men of War, Deathstroke, Suicide Squad, and Superboy.

I'm going to wait and see if Suicide Squad keeps Captain Boomerang as a main character, if not, I'll probably leave the title.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By Timandm

@Adnan: I still feel it would've been better to have the younger heroes beginning to take the place of the current ones, as opposed to just de-aging the current ones *grumble grumble*

THIS... RIGHT HERE....

Let the characters age... Let them go through normal life spans and life changes... LET new characters come along....

Instead of de-aging them constantly, while at the same time bringing new characters into the comic book universe... What happens ten or twenty years from now when they de-age Batman yet again, and Robin has grown children who will then be super heroes? Super-Man's children or clones or other discovered relatives will be there. How many Flash's will we have then??? Perhaps by then there will be ONLY super heroes and super villains...

To read comic books one has to suspend belief to a certain point. You cannot enjoy fiction if you don't. But there should be SOME limit to how much belief in reality one must have... If you have NO limits, then the story really has no meaning... For example, comic book super heroes never REALLY die... Sure they die 'temporarily' but they don't STAY dead... So, when they die, it's really not that big of a loss because we know they're coming back eventually... I did a forum on this and made of list of characters that died and came back compared to characters that have died and stayed dead... MOST (not all) but MOST come back... So, since comic book super heroes always come back from death, the impact that the death of a character is supposed to have, is lessened....

But it's not just in the area of death that the super heroes have no real limit... They also are basically young forever...

- Magneto was held as prisoner by the Nazis during the Holocaust... He was a teenager... Here it is, roughly 70 years later and he has the body of a man in his mid 30s... The same is true for Professor X... Super Man... Batman... Captain America..... So, time itself becomes less precious in the comic book world... These characters aren't worried about their biological clocks... The young ones are in no hurry to finish college, they basically have forever... There's no concern about having children while they're still young for super heroes, because they will always be young...

There's less concern for Super Heroes regarding getting hurt. They all seem to completely heal from anything. I'm not referring to Wolverine and all those who have his healing factor. Consider the damage suffered by Batman alone. He's supposedly human with no super powers and yet... Does he even have a scar anywhere on his body? How about Night Wing? How about Hawkeye? Not even death can leave a scar on their bodies? REALLY? Barbara Gordon is walking again! But she's not the first to pull that feat off. How many times has Charles Xavier been in a wheelchair? Some of us felt a real sense of loss when Babs was shot and ended up in that wheelchair. And we felt a sense of triumph when she continued the fight against evil IN SPITE of being confined to a wheelchair... Now, that's been taken from us...

So... Super heroes will come back to life if they die... They will, eventually, heal from any wound they suffer... They will never feel pressured by a lack of time to complete the big things in life that most of us struggle with...

And let's be honest and realistic about these reboots... At the heart of the reboot, is simply the writers need to de-age the characters and undo damage to them....

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JonesDeini

@The_Tree:

JLD Dark can be either a total triumph or an utter failure. With those characters not being "team" characters seeing him make them work as a team should really be interesting. I don't "need" another Batman book with Snyder doing the main book. So if I'm not wowed by the end of this Batman and Robin arc I'll likely drop it. Demon Knights didn't wow me like it did most others, but I very much enjoyed it. It needs to meet it's (huge built in) potential to keep me on board. Stormwatch felt a bit rushed, but has a great hook that very much appeals to me. It has an interesting cast/concept that if executed properly can keep me reading for years. Hopefully Cornell/Sepulveda will rise to the occasion and create at the level I know they can.

@Timandm:

DC moving away from their legacy characters really is a foolish move. It's the one core pillar they have that, more than any other, separates them from Marvel. Post 2,000 DC's been responsible for some of the worst retrogressive storytelling I've been unfortunate enough to have read.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

so far...so good...except for Mr. Terrific...he was...not terrific at all

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JonesDeini

@The Stegman:

LMAO I've been actively avoiding certain titles...that is mosdef one of them.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By the_tree

@JonesDeini: I'm feeling the same on JLD and Stormwatch. I sort of agree on Batman & Robin, but I won't be so quick to leave, because I really loved the Dark Knight, White Knight arc.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JonesDeini

@The_Tree:

Oh I loved Tomasi's arc too, but I don't necessarily need another Bat book. I'm already now reading Batwoman which I hadn't planned on, so there goes Nightwing's spot, folk.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By fodigg

I think some characters are great and others are meh. As far as quality, I think it's about the same place DC was at before, just things are shifted around a bit. But it still seems like it was a good idea because the revamp—stunt or not—is giving a good return and invigorating comics as a medium. Every little bit helps and I think this initiative is helping the industry.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @JonesDeini:  

yeah so far i've read and enjoyed 

Action comics 
    Detective Comics 
    Batman & Robin 
    Batgirl (it was meh, but i'll keep reading) 
    Suicide Squad 
    Green Lantern (best so far despite it picking up exactly where it left off) 
    Justice League 
    Batwoman 
    Legion Lost ( i just want to get into the LOSH i've never read them before) 
    Deathstroke 
    Green Arrow 

i plan on getting the following this week 

Batman 
    Catwoman 
    Green Lantern corps 
    Legion of superheroes 
    Nightwing 
    Wonder woman 
    and last and most excited for, Red Hood and the outlaws
    the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By the_tree

@JonesDeini:I'm a little unsure as to if I'll stick with Batwoman. I'm not too huge on the writing, but the art is amazing. I'm just unsure on if I want to stick with a book solely for its art.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JonesDeini

@fodigg:

Yeah, pretty fair assessment, folk. I'm reading roughly the same amount of books as I was before if not less. But this reboot's given me Snyder on Batman, Constantine being written by his current writer in the DCU, The return of Shade the Changing Man, Swamp Thing back in excellent hands, Animal Man being written excellently, A beautiful Batwoman monthly, left field fun like Frankenstein/Demon Knights, books with loads of potential like Stormwatch, and I can look forward to minis like Robinson's upcoming Shade! So Yeah, while not an ideal situation, I must say I'm satisfied with how it's turning out as of now.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By jrock85

@The_Tree said:

No complaints from me, a majority of the titles I've read have been great.

Cosigned.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By fodigg

@JonesDeini said:

@fodigg:

Yeah, pretty fair assessment, folk. I'm reading roughly the same amount of books as I was before if not less. But this reboot's given me Snyder on Batman, Constantine being written by his current writer in the DCU, The return of Shade the Changing Man, Swamp Thing back in excellent hands, Animal Man being written excellently, A beautiful Batwoman monthly, left field fun like Frankenstein/Demon Knights, books with loads of potential like Stormwatch, and I can look forward to minis like Robinson's upcoming Shade! So Yeah, while not an ideal situation, I must say I'm satisfied with how it's turning out as of now.

Good list.

Demon Knights is my new Secret Six I think.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Gambit1024

I really liked

Detective Comics, Batman and Robin, Suicide Squad, JLA, JLI, Men of War, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Stormwatch, and Superboy.

I didn't like/hated

Demon Knights, Red Lanterns, OMAC, Static Shock, and Green Arrow (the worst of the lot so far)

The rest were ok. I still haven't read Deathstroke though >:(

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JonesDeini

@The_Tree:

The writing was solid, and the plot has me hooked, but only time will tell. I do feel like not having Rucka writing will be a big loss for the book.

@fodigg:

Yeah, I definitely see that kind of potential in the series.

@The Stegman:

I'm definitely interested in seeing where Azzarello takes Diana. Hope she finally get's the title she deserves. I'm very tempted to try Wonder Woman #1 since I have less Marvel/Image/Vertigo books than usual this week.

Venoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Venoval

I didn't like Action, don't know why, it just didn't work for me...

I enjoyed Detective and ABSOLUTELY adored Batgirl. Deathstroke and Grifter were just OK.

Batwoman and Batman and Robin were sold out, so I'll have second prints Wednesday.

Also picking up Wonder Woman, Captain Atom, Supergirl, Batman, Nightwing, Catwoman and Red Hood.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By jrock85

@JonesDeini:

So far I've bought:

1. Detective Comics
    2. Batwing
    3. Green Arrow
    4. Batgirl
    5. JLA
    6. JLI
    7. Red Lanterns
    8. Static Shock
    9. Batman and Robin
    10. Grifter
    11. Superboy
    12. Action Comics
    13. Green Lantern
    14. Mr. Terrific
    15. Suicide Squad
    16. Resurrection Man (haven't read it yet)

The two that I didn't really like were JLA #1 and JLI. Aside from that, I either really liked or didn't hate the rest of them.

Here are the ones that I plan on getting:

1. Supergirl
    2. Justice League: Dark
    3. Batman #1
    4. Batman: The Dark Knight
    5. Nightwing
    6. Birds of Prey
    7. Red Hood and the Outlaws
    8. Green Lantern Corps
    9. Green Lantern: New Guardians
    10. Catwoman
    11. Teen Titans
    12. Voodoo
    13. Captain Atom
    14. DC Universe Presents #1
    15. The Flash
    16. The Fury of Firestorm
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JonesDeini

@jrock85:

Man, oh, man...no way I could even consider buying that many with my present pull list.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DEGRAAF

@Adnan said:

i agree with this. I like the showing of time moving on and evolution rather than just starting again from an earlier point

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24  Edited By InnerVenom123

@The Stegman said:

so far...so good...except for Mr. Terrific...he was.. Puts on sunglasses ...not terrific at all..... YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Fixed.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CATPANEXE

I don't find origin, or overdoing the introduction to the character issues necessary as a long time fan in the case the character is well enough known by the public
    at large. Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and The Flash immediately spring to mind as they are characters the public at large knows well, and in some sense
    they've become legends to the point that the details of their origins do not matter as much as just who the characters themselves are. In the case of new introductions, especially in anything meshed with a prior alternate universe, I can see where it was needed to an extent, but in writing the origin could be opened up later (I wish superhero films followed this progression more actually, I think it would lend to cleaner storytelling). Batgirl #1 was a good example of a comic that while it touched on the past, jumped right into the present at the starting gun, and I thought it worked well, one of my favorite New 52's so far actually.

Blurred View

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 353

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Blurred View

I think newer readers could've gotten the origins they wanted without writers turning whole issues into origin issues. A few books pulled that off, recapping how the character got started without focusing the whole issue on it. Some didn't give readers anything and are probably going to be worse off for it. Static Shock is pretty screwed right now, all things considered. 

The relaunch has been okay for me so far. A few pretty good books have come out of it. Only a few have really pissed me off. 

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JonesDeini

@Blurred View:

If I was reading all these books I'd be a lot less optimistic about this :P

Blurred View

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 353

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By Blurred View
    @JonesDeini:   

Oh yes. You probably would be. I can't believe we're only halfway through this. I've already read and reviewed more books than I normally would in two months. I can't wait to cull my reading list in October. Man, I'm tired.
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JonesDeini

@Blurred View said:

@JonesDeini: Oh yes. You probably would be. I can't believe we're only halfway through this. I've already read and reviewed more books than I normally would in two months. I can't wait to cull my reading list in October. Man, I'm tired.

I can imagine, folk. I have a huge playlist as is. reviewing all 52 would kill me. That'd be a full time job.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JonesDeini

After reading Wonder Woman #1 I've gotta say I just love how DC's letting these artists create and go for broke. These books will truly show what a writer and artists have deep inside.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.