So Dc Is Christian?

Avatar image for mikesterman
mikesterman

1390

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mikesterman

just read the spectre's wiki

it kinda shows jesus as the son of god.

Avatar image for dimitridkatsis
dimitridkatsis

3019

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Specre?

Avatar image for jmarshmallow
Jmarshmallow

14023

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

In the sense that Jesus existed, yes. However not really.

Avatar image for jmarshmallow
Jmarshmallow

14023

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

By the same token so is Marvel, because "God" has shown up on different occasions, as well as Jesus a few times IIRC.

Jmarshmallow

Avatar image for sacredweapons
sacredweapons

2147

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@jmarshmallow said:

@papinacho said:

In the sense that Jesus existed, yes. However not really.

I praise a Scottish Terrier.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

12702

Forum Posts

1547

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

By the same token so is Marvel, because "God" has shown up on different occasions, as well as Jesus a few times IIRC.

Jmarshmallow

I've seen scans of him talking with Howard the Duck.

Avatar image for cameron83
cameron83

8548

Forum Posts

370

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

You do realize that comic/manga companies put their hands on anything in their creative reach,right? For example, they use Greek Gods, Persian ones, Egyptian ones, and every other culture they get their hands on.

Avatar image for mikesterman
mikesterman

1390

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

You do realize that comic/manga companies put their hands on anything in their creative reach,right? For example, they use Greek Gods, Persian ones, Egyptian ones, and every other culture they get their hands on.

yes but they have the source as the judeo-christian god, and im pretty sure the source is the most powerful thing in DC

Avatar image for jj_was_here
JJ_Was_Here

513

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@mikesterman: I kind of think of it like if there's a God then it's everyone's God. I don't think DC or any other publisher would limit themselves by saying it's the God of this religion or that.

Avatar image for onemoreposter
Onemoreposter

4365

Forum Posts

103

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@cameron83 said:

You do realize that comic/manga companies put their hands on anything in their creative reach,right? For example, they use Greek Gods, Persian ones, Egyptian ones, and every other culture they get their hands on.

yes but they have the source as the judeo-christian god, and im pretty sure the source is the most powerful thing in DC

There is nothing generally judeo-christian about the source. Similarities might be drawn, but the all powerful unknown beyond honored by the New Gods certainly isn't the embodiment of Christian heaven or God.

Now "the presence," that is a different story.

Avatar image for NukeA6
NukeA6

914

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Well you have Greek gods in DC as well as other deities so it would be an amalgamation. However, Jesus would have existed because of the Spear of Destiny and he would have to be divine because his blood made that weapon one of the most powerful items in the DC universe.

It's also worth noting that angels like Michael and Gabriel exist in that universe and they're the top dogs before the Presence himself.

Avatar image for mikesterman
mikesterman

1390

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@mikesterman said:

@cameron83 said:

You do realize that comic/manga companies put their hands on anything in their creative reach,right? For example, they use Greek Gods, Persian ones, Egyptian ones, and every other culture they get their hands on.

yes but they have the source as the judeo-christian god, and im pretty sure the source is the most powerful thing in DC

There is nothing generally judeo-christian about the source. Similarities might be drawn, but the all powerful unknown beyond honored by the New Gods certainly isn't the embodiment of Christian heaven or God.

Now "the presence," that is a different story.

oh so its the presence who's like the judeo-christian god?

@nukea6 said:

Well you have Greek gods in DC as well as other deities so it would be an amalgamation. However, Jesus would have existed because of the Spear of Destiny and he would have to be divine because his blood made that weapon one of the most powerful items in the DC universe.

It's also worth noting that angels like Michael and Gabriel exist in that universe and they're the top dogs before the Presence himself.

wow that is awesome about the spear

Avatar image for NukeA6
NukeA6

914

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@onemoreposter said:

@mikesterman said:

@cameron83 said:

You do realize that comic/manga companies put their hands on anything in their creative reach,right? For example, they use Greek Gods, Persian ones, Egyptian ones, and every other culture they get their hands on.

yes but they have the source as the judeo-christian god, and im pretty sure the source is the most powerful thing in DC

There is nothing generally judeo-christian about the source. Similarities might be drawn, but the all powerful unknown beyond honored by the New Gods certainly isn't the embodiment of Christian heaven or God.

Now "the presence," that is a different story.

oh so its the presence who's like the judeo-christian god?

@nukea6 said:

Well you have Greek gods in DC as well as other deities so it would be an amalgamation. However, Jesus would have existed because of the Spear of Destiny and he would have to be divine because his blood made that weapon one of the most powerful items in the DC universe.

It's also worth noting that angels like Michael and Gabriel exist in that universe and they're the top dogs before the Presence himself.

wow that is awesome about the spear

Yeah, no one ever really thinks about that.

Avatar image for sealife
sealife

593

Forum Posts

4543

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Jesus obviously exist since Phantom Stranger is Judas.

Avatar image for outside_85
Outside_85

23518

Forum Posts

18735

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

To be precise DC's world is Abrahamic (because that God is set above all others), but viewed through the Christian perception, because DC is an American company and mostly targets an American audience with stories written by Americans.

Avatar image for sealife
sealife

593

Forum Posts

4543

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@mikesterman: I kind of think of it like if there's a God then it's everyone's God. I don't think DC or any other publisher would limit themselves by saying it's the God of this religion or that.

Avatar image for makkyd
MakkyD

6989

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By MakkyD

Eclipso was responsible for the biblical great flood among the other things mentioned, so its obvious that DC is going for a Abrahamic vibe.

Though, initially you may claim this to be biased, but from a creative point of view it allows use of the immense Abrahamic lore such as for Phantom Stranger, Eclipso, Spectre etc. Also having the Abrahamic god as the supreme god is the best option for incorporating all major religions since the Abrahamic religions are the only major ones to rely on a monotheistic god, so it isn't actually that offensive to the other religions (unless you worship Atumism or some other obscure monotheistic religion).

Avatar image for jj_was_here
JJ_Was_Here

513

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@sealife: phantom stranger? Judas? For real

Avatar image for sealife
sealife

593

Forum Posts

4543

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@jj_was_here:

Yep.

The Circle of Eternity punished him for being the greatest betrayer in the world history and that he would wear the silver coins (which he got for betraying Jesus) around his neck. And that he would be cursed to betray people after people until all his coins are gone.

Avatar image for juke
Juke

855

Forum Posts

66

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Avatar image for larryashlynn
LarryAshlynn

1305

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

They made jesus his era's shazam/captain marvel

Avatar image for gaoron
Gaoron

12316

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

DC comics uses a lot of mythologies. The Presence (Yahwe) is one of the strongest if the strongest but the strongest being in DC is Overmonitor (Chaos from Greek beliefs)

Avatar image for ultimatepower6
UltimatePower6

609

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#25  Edited By UltimatePower6

Well, I wouldn't say all of DC is Christian, but God was a character, basically, or at least talked about in Morrison's run of JLA. He even introduced the angel Zaurial to connect it even more, and even had one issue where the Spectre and Zaurial pretty much just debate God. So, I view him as just another character in the DC comics.

Avatar image for mattydavehalpeo
MattyDaveHalPeo

665

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'd say that the DC's presence is roughly the Judeo-Christian God. I wouldn't say that DC IS Christian. The Lucifer arc, as well as the Constantine arcs tend to go against the doctrine of the Church, so yeah DC's not 100% Christian or any other religion.

Avatar image for rustyroy
RustyRoy

16610

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

You do realize that comic/manga companies put their hands on anything in their creative reach,right? For example, they use Greek Gods, Persian ones, Egyptian ones, and every other culture they get their hands on.

Avatar image for jb681131
jb681131

4251

Forum Posts

8660

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@rustyroy: But they also create new ones too ! Jack Kirby's New Gods for exemple.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.