Our Favorite Things: The Music of DC Comics

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here
  Though, Green Arrow must feel a bit like an odd man out here. Where's his theme song?
 Though, Green Arrow must feel a bit like an odd man out here. Where's his theme song?

If any of you Comic Vine maniacs have read my editorial at Screened, you’ll know I’ve got some strong opinions about soundtracks. By my reckoning, a superhero movie without a memorable musical theme is as woefully-incomplete as one without, well, superpowers. So you can imagine how jazzed I am about the MUSIC OF DC COMICS CD, a collection that celebrates DC’s 75 anniversary in tandem with that colossal THE ART OF MODERN MYTHMAKING coffee table book. Indeed, in many ways, it’s an accompaniment to the tome (it was even playing during the UCLA seminar's down time!) with its 31 tracks encompassing songs from the earliest days of movie serials to the latest DTV cartoon features. 

The selection’s quite comprehensive, with cuts from series as obscure as the PLASTIC MAN, HAWKMAN and ATOMcartoons. I even get a very real sense of how quickly time can fly by as I look over its track list, because there are theme songs here that I grew up with, but nevertheless haven’t thought about in years (making it good that aural memory's the strongest, right?) Some of you youngin's in this comic community might think this surge of HULK, WONDER WOMAN and JESSICA JONES TV shows is something without precedent, but any child of the 90s will remember that there used to be a lot of heroes on the tube between the likes of SWAMP THING, SUPERBOYand THE FLASH. Listen to this and you'll feel like your ears are, indeed, traveling through comics history. == TEASER ==

Out of these, I’d say I’m most excited about the John Williams and Danny Elfman’s respective themes to the first SUPERMANand BATMANmovies. These tunes are so powerful as motivators,  I really only need to hum a few notes of each to get properly pumped up for any spectacular challenge (like the Spartan Race!)  

Pick this up at Amazon or your big chain book store of choice. Sadly, the only major omission seems to be Prince's Batdance...   

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of  HYBRID BASTARDS!  &  UNIMAGINABLE . Order them on Amazon   here  &   here .  Follow him on Twitter:  @tompinchuk

Marius138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Marius138

I've just gained a whole new level of respect for Prince...

Baconator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Baconator

The music in the recent animated DC movies is absolutely fantastic. Batman: Under the Red Hood and Superman / Batman: Apocalypse both hat some of the best superhero movie opening themes in decades.

Baron_Emo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Baron_Emo

I would buy this album despite Prince's absence... 

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By Silkcuts
@Marius138 said:
" I've just gained a whole new level of respect for Prince... "
When Prince is like that he is called Gemini =D
I am a Prince nut forgive me. 

@Baron_Emo:  That is what the Prince Batman soundtrack is for. 
Baron_Emo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Baron_Emo
@Silkcuts: You know I very nearly bought it just the other day. lol ^_^
Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Silkcuts
@Baron_Emo said:
" @Silkcuts: You know I very nearly bought it just the other day. lol ^_^ "
You so have to, I've purchased it 3 different ways, Vinyl, Cassette and CD.  Only my CD still works :(
Baron_Emo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Baron_Emo
@Silkcuts said:
" @Baron_Emo said:
You so have to, I've purchased it 3 different ways, Vinyl, Cassette and CD.  Only my CD still works :( "
I probably will after the holiday. It was only $8 at the shop. The greats you always have to pick up in multiple formats. lol
Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Master_Funk

This is why prince is the greatest artist of the 80s (+ Purple Rain and Sign o the Times)

Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Om1kron

LOL Prince makes great music but isn't down with sharing any of it. He made a new album and decided not to release it, only to let people attend listening parties of it and bam that was it.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By NightFang3

A most have for Prince fans!

cold_fuzion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By cold_fuzion

No Pffy Ami-Yumi Teen Titans? No Justice League?

The biggest sin: No Superman or Batman Adventures theme.

I'll still buy it.

Avatar image for beast_in_the_shadows
Beast_in_the_Shadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Does it have the theme for Batman The Animated Series?

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Silkcuts
@Baron_Emo said:
" @Silkcuts said:
" @Baron_Emo said:
You so have to, I've purchased it 3 different ways, Vinyl, Cassette and CD.  Only my CD still works :( "
I probably will after the holiday. It was only $8 at the shop. The greats you always have to pick up in multiple formats. lol "
that is what I am saying.  Even with Mp3s, Prince is a must play for me.  Its like a good movie, having a DVD is better then the pirate if I really liked the movie.
roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By roadbuster
@Beast_in_the_Shadows said:
" Does it have the theme for Batman The Animated Series? "
No, but it has Batman Beyond.  It also doesn't have Elfman's Flash theme, but it has the animated intro.  An odd mix.
Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Eyz

Sadly..it misses some ol' classic DC music...
Bt it still is a great Anniversary compilation.

Though it misses the most epic awesome super heroic "Beach surfer Rock" tune ever;

Coolness! B)
Mas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Mas

They better include the Ballad of Barry Allen.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.