Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Opposite DC Heroes:

Smockel46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Is it just me or does every DC hero have an enemy who has the same powers and or abilities as them?

Here are some examples:

Superman-Zod

Batman-Wrath / Prometheus

Shazam-Black Adam

Green Arrow-Merlyn

Flash-Reverse Flash

Wonder Woman-Paula Von Gunther

Green Lantern-Sinestro

Has anybody else got any other examples or any heroes who don't have one?

Avatar image for mattydavehalpeo
    MattyDaveHalPeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't think of another off the top of my head but feel that I should comment anyway to request that future commenters aren't going to be lazy and just list Earth 3 heroes.

Avatar image for mattydavehalpeo
    MattyDaveHalPeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, what about Major Force for Captain Atom?

Avatar image for name_already_chosen
    name_already_chosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman has Zod (and Bizarro) as parallel foes, but he also has his opposite number in Lex Luthor; by some accounts, Mr. Mxyzptlk would also count as an opposite number.

Batman has The Wrath (and R'as Al-Ghul) as parallel foes, but he also has his opposite number in The Joker.

Captain Marvel / Shazam has Black Adam (and Sabbac and Ibac) as parallel foes, but he also has his opposite number in Mister Mind.

Green Arrow has Merlyn (and a plethora of one-shot criminal archers) as parallel foes, but he also has his opposite number in The Clock King.

Flash has The Reverse Flash (and Savitar) as parallel foes, but he also has his opposite number in The Turtle, and for that matter in The Fiddler and eventually the entire Rogues Gallery with not a speedster among them.

Wonder Woman has Paula von Gunther (and Giganta originally) as parallel foes, but she also has her opposite number in Doctor Psycho and The Silver Swan.

Green Lantern has Sinestro (and Star Sapphire) as parallel foes, but he also has his opposite number in Hector Hammond and The Shark.

Doctor Fate definitely has Wotan as a parallel, but most of his other foes are one-shots. I'm not sure whether Black Manta or Ocean Master are close enough to Aquaman in powers to count as his parallels. Hawkman dealt mostly with The Gentleman Ghost and Kanjar Ro, neither of whom has powers similar to his, but Hawkgirl and he did fight the Manhawks.

I don't remember The Atom having a nemesis with similar powers; his primary foe has always been Chronos. Swamp-Thing's primary nemesis was Anton Arcane, more of an opposite number. Firestorm's primary nemesis was Killer Frost, an opposite number, though he had a common origin with Multiplex. Black Lightning's primary foe is Tobias Whale, an opposite number.

I'm ignoring the second-string characters who never really acquired their own nemeses per se, such as Zatanna, Power Girl, and the DC version of Plastic Man.

But then, you could make a similar Marvel list of parallel foes : Thor with Loki or Amora the Enchantress, Captain America with The Red Skull, Spider-Man with Doctor Octopus or Venom, The Hulk with The Abomination, Doctor Strange with Baron Mordo, Iron Man with the Crimson Dynamo and the Titanium Man, etc.

The point I'm making is that having a parallel foe and an opposite number are both tropes so common they are almost de riguer for any major superhero, and the superheroes who lack both a parallel foe and an opposite number almost never make it to the status of a major superhero independent of a team.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Is it just me or does every DC hero have an enemy who has the same powers and or abilities as them?

Here are some examples:

Superman-Zod

Batman-Wrath / Prometheus

Shazam-Black Adam

Green Arrow-Merlyn

Flash-Reverse Flash

Wonder Woman-Paula Von Gunther

Green Lantern-Sinestro

Has anybody else got any other examples or any heroes who don't have one?

Well you haven't looked at every DC heroes:

• Aquaman - Ocean Master
    • Nightwing - Raymond McCreary
    • Black Canary - Sonar / Quietus
    • Platic Man - Molder
    • ... probably one for each DC heroes

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.