Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Marvel guy trying to get into DC

JosephLaforte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By JosephLaforte

Ok so I've always preferred Marvel to DC. I haven't read much of DC and it was mostly the older stuff, but to me it felt stale and too clean and characters like superman never seemed humanized or relate-able. Recently I've been thumbing through a few at the shop and the stories seemed to have progressed and matured and I was thinking about maybe picking up a few titles.  Where is a good place to start so i understand the current storylines and what are some of the titles that would be good to read?

ArtJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By ArtJoker

The Current Flash title  by Geoff Johns and Frances Manpaul has been Awesome, plus there has only been 5 issues so far, so not too much catching up to do.

JosephLaforte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JosephLaforte
    @ArtJoker:  Thats one that seemed interesting. It appeared Flash was moving away from being a hero or something... I just didn't know if there was any backstory I missed that I should read first.
    roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By roadbuster
    @JosephLaforte said:
    " felt stale and too clean and characters like superman never seemed humanized or relate-able. "
    Start with Identity Crisis... it has set the tone for the last half-decade of DC stories.
    Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Zoom
    @Mainline said:
    " @JosephLaforte said:
    " felt stale and too clean and characters like superman never seemed humanized or relate-able. "
    Start with Identity Crisis... it has set the tone for the last half-decade of DC stories. "

True, it has, but it is in and of itself a pretty bad storyline. 

Really, it just depends what you like.  I'd go to a Borders, Barnes and Noble or similar bookstore+coffee shop, grab four or five trades from their comic section that look interesting and read a bit of each.  That way you can figure out if you really like Green Arrow or the Flash or Superman or whatever and we can better suggest what you'd like to read. 

As for new stuff, Blackest Night has recently led into the Brightest Day and those are the two big books to read right now but Flash, Booster Gold, Doom Patrol and Generation Lost are all better than either big event book.
    Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Zoom

Alternatively, both Morrison's JLA and Teen Titans: The Judas Contrat are excellent and are widely available in trade form.
    Avatar image for the_human_juggernaut
    the human Juggernaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JosephLaforte said:
    " Ok so I've always preferred Marvel to DC. I haven't read much of DC and it was mostly the older stuff, but to me it felt stale and too clean and characters like superman never seemed humanized or relate-able. Recently I've been thumbing through a few at the shop and the stories seemed to have progressed and matured and I was thinking about maybe picking up a few titles.  Where is a good place to start so i understand the current storylines and what are some of the titles that would be good to read? "
    you're not supposed to relate to superman
    roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By roadbuster
    @Zoom said:
    " @Mainline said: 
    Start with Identity Crisis... it has set the tone for the last half-decade of DC stories. "
    True, it has, but it is in and of itself a pretty bad storyline.   
    Haha, I agree, I won't get into it since it's a spoilers thing... but when people are looking for "dirty, flawed, and humanized DC" there's probably no more obvious in-continuity work from recent history. 

@JosephLaforte
    said:
    "Where is a good place to start so i understand the current storylines and what are some of the titles that would be good to read? "  
    To answer the second part of the question first, I looked at your List of Favorite Characters / Books.  Given the edge and anti-heroes there (btw, glad you like The Sword, the Luna Bros were friends of mine) you should check out Secret Six.  When the heroes are villains with hearts of gold (ehhh, tumorous growths of tarnished silver) with completely oddball personalities and interactions and few compunctions about going right to lethal force, you've got a darkly funny, violent, and still somehow sweet book.  The book is filled with minor DC characters but ratchets up the reality and personality so that people can kill and die and personalities come out.  You'll never look at Bane or The Mad Hatter the same. 

By the same token, check out Jonah Hex.  Despite his debacle of a movie, the books are wicked, raw, and unadulterated anti-hero westerns. 

In terms of understanding current storylines, my broad recommendation is to pick either Flash or GL and use their titles / events to learn about the DCU, but it depends how far back you want to go.  In all honesty, there's not a lot going on in the DCU right now requiring catching up per-se (which is just as well because for the past five years it's been non-stop events)... Brightest Day is it and it is pretty subdued and self-contained compared to event fever that DC and Marvel have been caught up in.  So now's a great time to take a breather and catch up on past runs / titles or jump onto new runs / reboots.
    LightBright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By LightBright
    @Mainline: Yay! Secret Six was recommended! ^_^

@JosephLaforte: Read Booster Gold. Don't think, just do.
    girth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By girth

For me, The book that got me interested in DC was Superman : Red Son .

aloe vera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By aloe vera

I'd tell you to go for some GL or Batman comics :P 
    Green Lantern:Rebirth, No Fear
    Batman:Hush, The Long Halloween, Death and the City 

also 
    Kingdom Come 

:-)

Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Precise

Kingdome Come, Justice storyline, Superman: Red Son.

AMS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AMS

Hey man before jumping the gun, I'm going to ask what Marvel books you liked;  
    Teams like X-men, Avengers?  
    Street Levelers like Spiderman, DareDevil?
    Cosmics? 
    Etc. Etc. 

That would probably be the best starting point to work out what to recommend.
    JosephLaforte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JosephLaforte
    @AMS:  I'm more of a street level and anti-hero guy. I like Cage, Punisher, Taskmaster, Deadpool, Cable etc I really liked Planet Hulk but thats about all of the hulk I liked lol.  
    @Mainline:  I'm now the proud owner of a hard cover identity crisis (which I read, and I enjoyed, but I can see where some people would think the twists and character flaws were kind of forced.), 52, Secret six v1 and 2 and most of 3 (missing a few issues, all they had were singles.) Flash: Rebirth and the first two issues of the new run. My friend also lended me the entire Final Crisis with all of tie-ins and included posted notes on how to read it that makes me think the davinchi code was easier to figure out -_- (and i'm almost sure some of the comics in that pile don't even belong there.  Hope that gets me started :)
    JosephLaforte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JosephLaforte
    @the human Juggernaut said:
    " @JosephLaforte said:
    " Ok so I've always preferred Marvel to DC. I haven't read much of DC and it was mostly the older stuff, but to me it felt stale and too clean and characters like superman never seemed humanized or relate-able. Recently I've been thumbing through a few at the shop and the stories seemed to have progressed and matured and I was thinking about maybe picking up a few titles.  Where is a good place to start so i understand the current storylines and what are some of the titles that would be good to read? "
    you're not supposed to relate to superman "
    You're supposed to identify with every character in some way. Besides being a sexy mofo and hitting hard enough to vaporize a human being I just don't feel it with superman :D
    tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By tensor

infinite crisis
    sinestro corps wars
    blackest night

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zoom

Don't read Flash: Rebirth.  Full of confusing continuity to annoy newbs and full of retcons to annoy OGs.   Overall, not a bad story but one that missed not only the target audience but any audience by a mile. 

Just realize that the silver age Flash is back and you didn't miss a damn thing.  A much better starting place for the new Flash series would be to read this comic: 

It gives you some introductory story and background information on all of the Flash's supporting cast and major villains.
    Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By Amegashita

Is it me, or does it seem like there is one of these topics every few months? 

@JosephLaforte:  You're pretty much set as far as I see it.  52 is a great read and Identity Crisis is a great tone setter for the new generation.  If you like street level characters, I would suggest most Batman titles and the new Green Arrow series has been enjoyable for me. 
    JosephLaforte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JosephLaforte
    @Amegashita: My knowledge of Green Arrow before I read Identity Crisis was from the old animated show from the 70's or 80's ><  I really think I'll dig him. Also Hal/The Spectre seemed cool, like a juiced up version of Ghost Rider with a different boss.
    Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By Amegashita
    @JosephLaforte:  Well, Hal isn't the Spectre anymore it's Crispus Allen.  Ollie is one of my favorite characters.  Speaking of Crispus Allen, Final Crisis:  Revelations was a great read, and I, personally, consider it to be better than Final Crisis... but that's because I didn't like how Mary Marvel was portrayed in it.
    Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zoom

Green Arrow: Quiver, Sound of Violence and Archer's Quest are all excellent trades as is Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters. 

I would caution people away from the new Green Arrow series as it is heavily tied into the mediocre Brightest Day as the rather terrible Cry For Justice and Rise of Arsenal.
    JosephLaforte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JosephLaforte
    @Zoom: The new flash is tied into brightest day too though right?
    AMS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AMS
    @JosephLaforte: 

Yo man current series I would recommend would be Batgirl or Secret Six or Booster Gold.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.