Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

I've been out of the game for a long time, what do I need to read before getting to Rebirth?

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 the_red_viper  Moderator

So I wanna read the event and the new ongoings of Rebirth. Is there anything (in the New 52) that I need to read in order to understand it properly? The latest events I read were Trinity War and Forever Evil (ancient history, I know lol).

And is the event itself actually worth reading?

Cosmic_Templar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would suggest reading about last few issues of New 52 Superman but other than that, I think you could understand Rebirth without reading too much New 52.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really think much is required for understanding Rebirth; the books themselves tell you all you need to know about what happened before. It is a pretty good jumping on point.

Superman especially is easy start reading with the last issue of AC pretty much stating that the entire new52 run was erased/pointless.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So I wanna read the event and the new ongoings of Rebirth. Is there anything (in the New 52) that I need to read in order to understand it properly? The latest events I read were Trinity War and Forever Evil (ancient history, I know lol).

And is the event itself actually worth reading?

There is nothing really needed. There are things you can read to know more details. But it only depens on what Rebirth title you intend to read.

I guess you ought to read DC Universe Rebirth befor reading anything else from Rebirth.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 the_red_viper  Moderator

@jb681131: @rdclip: @cosmic_templar: Thanks guys. Do you have any other suggestions for good titles to pick up? I ordered the first volume of Batman online earlier.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jb681131

@jb681131: @rdclip: @cosmic_templar: Thanks guys. Do you have any other suggestions for good titles to pick up? I ordered the first volume of Batman online earlier.

Don't forget to read DC Univers Rebirth event before.

I haven't really started Rebirth myself, but I heard Detective Comics is a bit better than Batman. Also I heard that Titans isn't bad and has the return of Wally West.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_red_viper: Rebirth Batman books in general haven't been that interesting. IMO the best Rebirth books are Superman and Nightwing. BoP, Titans and Green Arrow are pretty good.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 the_red_viper  Moderator
    the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 the_red_viper  Moderator
    RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_red_viper: I didn't really like it, but I don't like most big crossovers. IMO, it was a throwaway event that didn't really have any impact.

Rurgandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cosmic_templar: @jb681131: @rdclip:

Is the "JL vs Suicide Squad" arc a good read? Does it require specific prior reading?

No, it's mediocre at best. Just ignore events for the most part, and stick to individual series with good creative teams (ie, Deathstroke, Superman, Batman, Nightwing, Wonder Woman, etc).

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely read 'DC Universe Rebirth' by Geoff Johns first, as it explains what Rebirth is all about (and it's amazing).

I can definitely recommend Superman and Wonder Woman. The first volume of Aquaman is good if you want to read about legal statutes, international landownership laws and politics. Which I don't, so it sucked.

Flash9865

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Flash9865

Not much tbh depends on what your planning to read.

FlashKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 19

I've been out of it since New 52. Just for clarity's sake, does it go like this?:

- Flashpoint

- Trinity War

- Forever Evil

- Convergence

- Rebirth

- This summer's mega event?

Just want to make sure I understand the timeline before choosing stories to read.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jb681131

@flashknight said:

I've been out of it since New 52. Just for clarity's sake, does it go like this?:

- Flashpoint

- Trinity War

- Forever Evil

- Convergence

- Rebirth

- This summer's mega event?

Just want to make sure I understand the timeline before choosing stories to read.

Yes Somewhat.

To go more into details there is an Aquamen event, Throne of Atlantis, before Trinity War and a Darkseid War event before Rebirth.

Also Convergence is hard to place because it involves multiple continuities: Pre-Crisis, Pre-Flashpoint, New52, but also Earth-2 and Future's End.

As well to get the big pictures there are 3 prequels to Rebirth: Superman Requiem, Lois & Clark and Titan Hunt.

So it would go like this:

1. Flashpoint
    2. Justice League: Origin <- I found it very bad, skip it
    3. Throne of Atlantis
    4. Trinity War
    5. Forevere Evil
    6. Vilain Month <- not really an event but more of a concequence of Forever Evil
    7. Future's End <- a possible future 5 years later
    8. Earth-2 <- an alternative Earth
    9. Earth-2: World's End <- a big event implying the main continuity, Earth-2 and Future's End
    10. Convergence
    11. Darkseid War
    12. Superman Requiem <- Sadly the end of New52 Superman
    13. Lois & Clark <- The pre-flashpoint is still here. He was living undercover
    14. Titan Hunt <- The Titans are starting to remember
    15. Rebirth
    16. Titans: The Return of Wally West <- Wally West is at the center of the Rebirth event
    17. The Button <- you learn more about this strange Rebirth event
    18. Superman Reborn
    19. Doomsday Clock <- you will finally know why there has finaly been those Watchmen clues all over the Rebirth events

In my opinion, Future's End, Earth-2, World's End and Convergence can be skiped.

FlashKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 19

#16  Edited By FlashKnight

@jb681131:

Thanks. I too was not a fan of Justice League: Origin. That's the one of the two titles on the list I have read and it unfortunately killed my interest in the series.

I did read Trinity War though and I thought it was very good.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.