Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

I'm about to court major controversy: I like the design of Tom Ellis's Lucifer over the design of the comic Lucifer

Fall1n1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Fall1n1
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

I read Gaiman/Carey's Lucifer far before the series arrived on TV, and then Netflix, it's amazing, but I was always dissatisfied with the physical appearance of the Lightbringer. Obviously the comic is FAR more complex, and rich in deep themes; but I always pictured "god's" first angel as "Tall, Dark and Handsome", a rebel who values freewill above all, enjoys all forms of inebriation, and sleeps with a stunning plethora of mortal women (although in christian mythology it was Samael (who is an angel of death separate from the Fallen Seraphim Lucifer) who had sex with Lilith and the other 4 women of sacred prostitution--Samael does not mean "Light Bringer", it means "Venom of God"). The Carey/Gaiman Lucifer comics are quite amazing, but I've never liked how Lucifer was drawn and designed. He doesn't seem like he'd have blonde hair and blue eyes like some Aryan wet dream (im KIDDING lol).

The Lucifer of the comics is extraordinarily confident, calculating, patient, he's in it for the long game...and disturbingly lacks genitals, which seems like the worst hell imaginable.

I like that the Lucifer of the show is quite mentally unbalanced, maybe insane?, highly impulsive, prone to violent anger and chaos, and very unsure of who he is or where he fits in--and yes an angel billions and billions of years old seeking the counsel of a mortal psychiatrist is very egregious.

One of the big problems, and the biggest discrepancy, is that the Lucifer of the show is infinitely weaker than the god-tier Lucifer of the comics who can manipulate reality. Tom Ellis's Lucifer is much less an angel and more an idiosyncratic man who is has snow-white wings and is invulnerable. Also why did the show call the brother he's most close with Amenadiel instead of Michael? In the comics Lucifer literally eats Amenadiel's heart.

But Tom Ellies just seems exactly what I picture the Morningstar to look like.

I have all the Lucifer comics (well the 5 Carey collections, and the later 3 newer Carey books, but not the old man Lucifer nonsense), and all I want is for them to draw Lucifer like Tom Ellis lol...maybe have him do a lot of drugs and have a lot of sex as well lol. Wine, song, and most importantly, women.

Any thoughts?

This post may get me in so so much trouble from die-hard fans of the Lucifer comic, I apologize in advance.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.