How big is the DC Universe?

#1 Posted by Durakken (1930 posts) - - Show Bio

This might sound stupid, but has anyone ever wondered how big the DC Universe actually is? Assuming that it's the same size as our universe each GL would need to patrol like 83,333,3333 galaxies, but assuming it is smaller, but still contain more than 1 galaxy it would result many in many GLs not having anything to patrol... The only thing that seems to make sense is if The Guardians are lying and/or when they say "galaxy" in they just mean a given area with the milky way. It's also possible that "the galaxy" is "the universe"

#2 Posted by TheCrowbar (4397 posts) - - Show Bio

@Durakken: The Guardians only control a certain area of space. Planets like Thanagar and Rand have never heard of the Guardians or the GLs.

#3 Posted by Durakken (1930 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar: So you're saying they aren't the "guardians of the universe" but rather the "guardians of a portion of indefinite size"

#4 Posted by TheCrowbar (4397 posts) - - Show Bio

@Durakken: The universe has been threatened several times and they're not seen anywhere, if you're reading GL right now, you learn they're just little blue ass hats.

#5 Edited by AtPhantom (14434 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

@Durakken: The Guardians only control a certain area of space. Planets like Thanagar and Rand have never heard of the Guardians or the GLs.

Only in DCAU. Rann and Thanagar are very aware of the Green Lanterns, and Green Lanterns have intervened in their war on numerous occasions. In fact there are lanterns in the corps from both planets.

EDIT: And nobody ever accused the writers of having a good sense of scale. For the most part, yes, the GLs are supposed to patrol the whole universe. The implication is that, unless they're in the immediate area, they only intervene in the worst situations the sector has to offer.

#6 Posted by TheCrowbar (4397 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

@TheCrowbar said:

Only in DCAU. Rann and Thanagar are very aware of the Green Lanterns, and Green Lanterns have intervened in their war on numerous occasions. In fact there are lanterns in the corps from both planets.

EDIT: And nobody ever accused the writers of having a good sense of scale. For the most part, yes, the GLs are supposed to patrol the whole universe. The implication is that, unless they're in the immediate area, they only intervene in the worst situations the sector has to offer.

I'll have to find my trades because in the Rann/Thanagar War I didn't see them mentioned at all.

#7 Posted by AtPhantom (14434 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

I'll have to find my trades because in the Rann/Thanagar War I didn't see them mentioned at all

Kyle and Kilowog are present throughout R/T war. They repair Thanagar's orbit and interrupt the final battle between their fleets announcing that Thanagar is once again habitable. Also in Green Lantern: Recharge Guy and Kyle intercept a Ranian and a Thanagarian fleet, both trying to attack Mogo. Recharge is also where we're introduced to Lantern Vath Sarn from Rann and Isamot Kol from Thanagar.

#8 Posted by jobbernos (1522 posts) - - Show Bio

to infinite and beyond.

#9 Edited by serpent222 (321 posts) - - Show Bio

In my opinion, which is based on nothing but basic reasoning trying to explain away the issue, the DC Universe(s) are all about the same size as our universe. As it relates to the Green Lantern Corps, we can assume that the vast majority of the planets in those galaxies do not have any form of sentient life to protect, reducing the amount that each Green Lantern needs to patrol exponentially.

#10 Posted by redhoodnet (168 posts) - - Show Bio

Infinite plus several different dimensions.

So....

More space than we can see in print.

#11 Posted by Shenron007 (2110 posts) - - Show Bio

So dc universe is only galaxy sized?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.