Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Green lantern new 52

odvir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I just finished reading the Geoff Johns run of green Lantern (from green Lantern rebirth to war of the green lanterns) and I want to know two things:

1. Does the new 52 Green Lantern continues directly from where war of the GL ended or its new story?

2. Does the new 52 Green Lantern run anygood? I mean is it like essential reading or if you are not an huge GL fan you can skip it?

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By jb681131

@odvir: I heard Green Latern New 52 is a good read.

If you read the Green Laterns Omnibus by Goeff Johns, it includes the New 52 #1-20.

Also GL and Batman were the 2 families who didn't get a proper reboot, so the New 52 stories are somewhat the continuity of the pre-52.

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hard to say what is and isn't 'essential' reading. I'm not the biggest Green Lantern fan in the world but I read the New 52 run and loved it. Geoff Johns' work was great but I would have to say that Robert Venditti's run, who picked up from Johns, was even better.

The New 52 Green Lantern is important in that it introduces Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz, who obviously get their own book in Rebirth. It also contains some big ticket events that shaped my perception of the universe, especially the emotional spectrum reservoir and the source wall. Some spine tingling moments in Venditti's run which I won't spoil.

Not sure if it's essential, but I definitely recommend reading it.

UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

The New 52 does continue Johns' story, but I will say it's not his best work on GL however it is still very much enjoyable. If anything, everything in the new 52 sets up Johns' last epic issue, so in a way it's better context to read it before reading his last issue. After that, I'd say continue onto Venditti's run. Fans seem split with him, but I love what he's bringing to the title.

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Geoff Johns' New 52 Green Lantern issues continue directly from where he left of prior to the Flashpoint event. I would consider them essential since he manages to build and expand the mythos even during the final arc, plus the last issue is simply stunning.

Now, if you really like Green Lantern you should definitely continue with Robert Venditti's New 52 issues which bring new and fresh things to the book and lead up to Rebirth's Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps (still written by Venditti) which is pure awesomeness and maybe even on par with Johns' stories.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@odvir said:

So I just finished reading the Geoff Johns run of green Lantern (from green Lantern rebirth to war of the green lanterns) and I want to know two things:

1. Does the new 52 Green Lantern continues directly from where war of the GL ended or its new story?

2. Does the new 52 Green Lantern run anygood? I mean is it like essential reading or if you are not an huge GL fan you can skip it?

1. Yes it does almost immideately after what happens to HJ being decomissioned.

2. Yes it is until Venditti gets to it.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apokos7 said:

Geoff Johns' New 52 Green Lantern issues continue directly from where he left of prior to the Flashpoint event. I would consider them essential since he manages to build and expand the mythos even during the final arc, plus the last issue is simply stunning.

Now, if you really like Green Lantern you should definitely continue with Robert Venditti's New 52 issues which bring new and fresh things to the book and lead up to Rebirth's Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps (still written by Venditti) which is pure awesomeness and maybe even on par with Johns' stories.

No Caption Provided

Soaring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know what you might consider essential, but as others have said it does continue

I'm not a huge GL fan, but I certainly found it enjoyable - Doug Mahnke's art imo is some of the best in the business (depending on inker)

Rurgandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@odvir: Johns's Green Lantern 1-20 is a continuation of his pre-FP run.

Outside of the Johns run, Peter Tomasi's Green Lantern Corps (1-20) and Charles Soule's Red Lanterns (21-37) are worth reading. Also, The Omega Men by Tom King is one of the best books to come out of DC in the past few years.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HighAccuser

GL Emerald Knights is also good imo.

odvir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I from all the things I heard here I think I'll just read the Johns part and skip can venditti ( just because I'm not huge GL fan)

Thanks for all the answers

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Rainshadow777

I don't get the Venditti I'll-feeling. His arc involving Kyle Rayner and the emotional spectrum reservoir just blew me away with the quality of both the plot and the prose. I was genuinely moved.

All aboard the Venditti train. I've got a first-class ticket!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.