Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Grant Morrison's The Multiversity Discussion Thread

• 92 results
    Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

This thread is about the upcoming series by Grant Morrison called The Multiversity .

What is The Multiversity ?

No Caption Provided

Well I could answer that but let's have the man himself explain it in an interview on CBR

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=52143

"'The Multiversity' has been a labor of love almost eight years in the making, and brings together an unstoppable supergroup of artists -- Reis, Sprouse, Oliver, Quitely, Stewart and more -- with a cast of unforgettable characters from the 52 alternative Earths of the known DC Multiverse!

"Prepare to meet the Vampire Justice League of Earth-43, the Justice Riders of Earth-18, Superdemon, Doc Fate, the super-sons of Superman and Batman, the rampaging Retaliators of Earth-8, the Atomic Knights of Justice, Dino-Cop, Sister Miracle, Lady Quark, the legion of Sivanas, the Nazi New Reichsmen of Earth-10 and the LATEST, greatest superhero of Earth-Prime -- YOU!

Comprising seven complete adventures -- each set in a different parallel universe -- a two part framing story, and comprehensive guidebook to the many worlds of the Multiverse, 'The Multiversity' is more than just a multi-part comic book series, it's a cosmos-spanning, soul-shaking experience that puts YOU on the front line in the Battle For All Creation against the demonic destroyers known as the Gentry!

But beware! Power has a cost, and at the heart of this epic tale waits the cursed and malignant comic book called 'Ultra Comics'...

How safe is YOUR head?

Join us, if you dare, for 'The Multiversity!'" -- Grant Morrison

Here is a map of the 52 planets in the New 52.

No Caption Provided

Here is some video interviews that I found.

So guys and gals discuss anything about this series and have a wonderful day/night.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I just want Donna Troy, haha. Everything else is too overwhelming at this point.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Cannot wait for Morrison's next masterpiece, it's gonna be a doozy to read. Really looking forward to Pax Americana and the Ultra Comics/Prime Earth one most myself. If anyone can be trusted to map out the craziness of The Multiverse, it's Grant Morrison. He is best known for his mind bending and intensely thought provoking stories so who else could do a better job?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here are the covers for the first 3 issues.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

This looks fun: Pax Americana and Thunderworld have got me interested. And that map is nuts.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

Cannot wait for a dose of Morrison's multiversal madness.

I love the final line in the description for Dream: "Home to Oberon, Titania, Amethyst, Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny."

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Trust me Mr. Morrison, it's perfectly fine to keep calling him Captain Marvel.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Looks like Grant Morrison has gained some weight.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Morrison is love, Morrison is life.

ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill: I couldn't find one that wasn't difficult to read but now we do .

@ms-lola: Thank You for the link .

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Am I the only one who thinks thunder world sounds the least interesting of the stories?

Also, wonder will the red son superman be shown since its so clear on the map compared to others.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morrison is hit or miss, this looks like a miss, overkill perhaps but I'll give it a go. Morrison tends to overdo things and I already can't read the map.

New takes on Superman and Batman and as per usual no mention of Wonder Woman. Trinity? I don't think so

The comic book idea is a repurposed one from Tom Strong where one earth's comic book heroes were the real flesh and blood ones from the other.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#20  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

I will be reading this. Is this Multiversity thing related to New 52 anyway? What is the endgame of this thing?

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By JakeN7

@archizoom: Yeah, it's no wonder (see what I did there) why Morrison wouldn't mention Wonder Woman. He obviously doesn't want to write the character. I mean, it isn't like he's writing a Wonder Woman OGN or anything...

http://www.newsarama.com/17784-1st-look-morrison-s-wonder-woman-earth-one.html

And he certainly hasn't taken a personal responsibility to revitalize the character...

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/aug/21/grant-morrison-wonder-woman

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ArchiZoom

@jaken7: I know about The Trial of Diana Prince, the novel he's writing about Wonder Woman's relationships, the one with Steve, her sapphic liaisons in Themiscyra, the mass-rape of the Amazons by Hercules and his men and Diana's relationship with "her mother who's also really hot" to quote Morrison's own words. I'm looking forward to reading it. Meanwhile, in Multiversity looks like Wonder Woman will be chopped bloody liver again in a Grant Morrison/dc event, in not 1 but 52 earths this time. Let's face it, in the grand scheme of things she's just not relevant. I don't think Wonder Woman should be at the forefront of everything but at least, in my humble opinion, dc should have the decency to end the trinity charade.

ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madeinbangladesh: I think from the most part it would not take place on main earth but as for the endgame I have no idea .

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Finally a proper "event" unlike the Forever Evil rubbish.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By reactor
    Clicky... it's beautiful...
    Clicky... it's beautiful...

Agent008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This definitely looks like a better event than Final Crisis and i like the map and the imagination involved but I am really tired of multiverses and alternate versions of characters. I thought the new 52 was supposed to do away with that but we still got Earth 2 with alternate Flash, Green Lantern, Superman, Batman, Huntress, etc.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Zarius

@agent008 said:

This definitely looks like a better event than Final Crisis and i like the map and the imagination involved but I am really tired of multiverses and alternate versions of characters

Why? Most of the time alternate takes are actually superior to the regular takes and advance characters a lot more.

Nothing wrong with Final Crisis either.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so does this mean that it is morrison that will re introduce superboy prime to the new universe?

Agent008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:

@agent008 said:

This definitely looks like a better event than Final Crisis and i like the map and the imagination involved but I am really tired of multiverses and alternate versions of characters

Why? Most of the time alternate takes are actually superior to the regular takes and advance characters a lot more.

Nothing wrong with Final Crisis either.

I'm tired of the multiverse idea because it's a tired concept in my opinion. The Earth 1/New Earth/New52 universe, as well as the Marvel 616 universe, is hard to care about since the titles never end, and continuity is constantly being rewritten to in order to accommodate the Big 2 business model. Is the main DC universe's Wonder Woman made of clay, an orphan raised in New York City, or a demi-goddess? The answer is yes because supposedly it all happened to the same character, yet they might as well belong to different universes since they're so different in look and tone. We've had multiple Batmans, Robins, Flashes, Lobos, Tim Drakes, Hawkmans, Donna Troy's, Wonder Girls, Aquamans, all appear in the these titles.

In regards to Multiverse stories they are an almost regular occurrence. There's currently an Earth 2 title which features alternate versions of the New52 characters. World's Finest features alternate versions of Supergirl and Huntress. Prior to that we had:

• Future's End
    • Infinite Crisis: The Fight for the Multiverse
    • Justice League 3000
    • The New 52 version of the Crime Syndicate of America
    • Flashpoint
    • Final Crisis
    • Countdown
    • Infinite Crisis
    • JSA: Thy Kingdom Come

Then there's the various multiverse spin-offs like Ame-Comi Girls, Batman/Superman Beyond, the Earth One graphic novels, Smallville, Elseworlds, etc. The novelty is no longer novel.

What's wrong with Final Crisis? For one, it required a checklist to keep track of all the various tie-ins, which I felt were over done in order to milk the readers out of more money. Second, it was a bit disorganized. Morrison was writing both Final Crisis and the Batman on-going, and yet Batman "dies" in both titles, in completely separate storylines, in different ways. Third, I believe editorial made Final Crisis more confusing by having characters die first, and differently in the prequel series, Countdown to Final Crisis. That's just off top of my head.

Spaced_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grants work is long running and has a lot of back referencing. I have read Final Crisis and the Batman run but I want to know more about the multi verse before I read this series. What are must reads on the multiverse in setting up a nice foundation of knowledge going into this series? Does seven soldiers and 52 countdown omnibus help? And what stories help explain the monitors and the new gods further?

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@spaced_boy: It should be pretty standalone for a Morrison event, as he mentions he intends to make this "less confusing" so newcomers can be introduced to the multiverse. To be sure, read Action Comics #9 as it stars President Superman, the main character in this event, and some elements from 52 play into it (It introduced the modern DC multiverse and was written by Morrison himself, so).

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

I'm a little intimidated by this. Mixing Grant's very lateral way of writing with an already complex idea of the multiverse may give me headaches :(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IM HYPE

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Going back to read all the Crisis stories+Morrison's work that could potentially tie into this. So excited for this!

ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphu8414 said:

Going back to read all the Crisis stories+Morrison's work that could potentially tie into this. So excited for this!

There are a bunch of references in Final Crisis.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#36 the_stegman  Moderator

I'm not a huge Morrison fan, and this doesn't particularly interest me, but like always, I'll give it a try.

ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here is a preview for The Multiversity #1 From CBR

The biggest adventure in DC’s history is here!

In issue #1, pencilled by superstar artist Ivan Reis (AQUAMAN, JUSTICE LEAGUE), President Superman of Earth-23 uncovers a threat to all Reality so apocalyptic it will take a team of incredible heroes from across the Multiverse to face it – including Captain Carrot, like you’ve never seen him before!

But even with a multitude of alternate worlds to choose from, where every variation is possible, can anyone hope to prevail against the onslaught of ultimate evil and undying hatred – in the unstoppable form of a one-time cosmic defender with unimaginable powers?! Join us, if you dare, for the beginning of THE MULTIVERSITY!

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here is a preview for The Multiversity #1 From CBR

The biggest adventure in DC’s history is here!

In issue #1, pencilled by superstar artist Ivan Reis (AQUAMAN, JUSTICE LEAGUE), President Superman of Earth-23 uncovers a threat to all Reality so apocalyptic it will take a team of incredible heroes from across the Multiverse to face it – including Captain Carrot, like you’ve never seen him before!

But even with a multitude of alternate worlds to choose from, where every variation is possible, can anyone hope to prevail against the onslaught of ultimate evil and undying hatred – in the unstoppable form of a one-time cosmic defender with unimaginable powers?! Join us, if you dare, for the beginning of THE MULTIVERSITY!

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@shadowswordmaster: That is a damn awesome and trippy preview for the first issue. Trust Morrison to be the one to write a flappy Superman, a monster building and a talking ape saying comics are bad for you lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if the Ultra comic Nix is reading is going to be the same ultra comic that we will be reading?

ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: It's going to be one trippy ride for sure , so buckle up because were not stoping .

@dagmar_merrill: I know , it's going to be heck of a ride.From what I heard that is the case since Morrison did say something like that in a interview.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shadowswordmaster: That's interesting makes me really want to read the ultra comic issue a lot.

ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill: Yeah same here , even the Manke art on the cover is pretty stellar.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

I gotta say that this is a book that I am so excited for that I can't even describe it a little.

LarryAshlynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mogo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By mogo1

Not interested. Seems like it will be crossover hell and super confusing. If it's not 100 issues I may pick up the trade. I love multiverse stories but it just looks like it will be super confusing

What do we know about the other realities. I can't remember what number the main dc universe is

1- is the earth one supes and batman stories

2- is where the "the justice society" is the main characters

3-is that where crime syndicate came from or was that 4?

5- don't know

6- is glowing brightly?

7- was that preview above

8- has the weird symbol

9?

10 has the big x?

The other ones that stick out to me are36,47, 26, 29 obviously bizarro, 30 red son, zero, 19, 15,31, 48. World 45 has a trademark symbol after it. Any theories would be appreciated

Like I said I love other dimensions (red son, kingdom come, injustice I all love) but this just seems like a ton of issues

ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mogo1: Crime syndicate came from 3.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.