Fixing Supergirl suggestion box.

JBBuc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I didn't watch Supergirl on CBS but now that the show is on Netflix, I thought I would get up to speed on the show. To be honest, I can see why CBS gave it the boot. It's like a mash-up of The Devil Wears Prada and the worst parts of Smallville. Frankly... I hate it. So, for those who are interested, what would you do to improve the show if you were running the CW?

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Make it less sappy. We don't need to see Kara cry in every episode
  • Fire Calista Flockhart. Cat Grant is the most annoying character on television. Viewers are tired of seeing Kara get bitched out by her boss every week.
  • De-emphasize the romance subplots. Either just have Kara get a boyfriend with a normal relationship or drop romance all together.
  • Tone down the feminist speak. You can have a strong female role model without constantly drawing attention to the fact that she is a woman.
UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

@rdclip said:
  • Make it less sappy. We don't need to see Kara cry in every episode
  • Fire Calista Flockhart. Cat Grant is the most annoying character on television. Viewers are tired of seeing Kara get bitched out by her boss every week.
  • De-emphasize the romance subplots. Either just have Kara get a boyfriend with a normal relationship or drop romance all together.
  • Tone down the feminist speak. You can have a strong female role model without constantly drawing attention to the fact that she is a woman.

I just started watching Supergirl so that I can watch S2 when it comes out, but with just the first few episodes I have to highly agree with pretty much all these points, especially the last one. There were just times when the line "because I'm a woman?" would be dropped and I yell at my screen saying "Nobody said that! Why are you saying that?"

JBBuc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am definitely with you guys. I feel like this is such an over-the-top attempt to make a superhero show that tries so hard to appeal to women across the board, that it completely alienates the mostly male comic book fanbase. It is just a terribly unbalanced show.

xsbrx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xsbrx

- If a character is too difficult for the show (complex backstory, costume requires lot of CGI etc) then don't do it. Half assed adaptations just make the whole show look bad: Red Tornado, Maxima etc.

- Again, sometimes less is more. The show puts a heavy emphasis on the action however, the budget limitations clearly show. When most action scenes look like cheap wirework stunts, then it should be better if they toned down the amount of action scenes and focused more on the few ones they have.

- Better story writing and dialogues. Now, to be honest I dropped Supergirl after episode 3 but from what I saw it was pretty horrible.

The Flash-Supergirl crossover was particularly bad, when the "big showdown" was concluded by a bunch of firefighters spraying some water on the villains.

ThePreface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of these 20+ episode Berlanti shows should break their long ass seasons in two halves and focus on tighter writing. Two 10+ episode story arcs would be easier to write for than one 20+ episode season. And that means a large reduction in filler. It definitely beats writing every episode a week or two ahead of the shooting schedule.

JBBuc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sbr999 said:

- If a character is too difficult for the show (complex backstory, costume requires lot of CGI etc) then don't do it. Half assed adaptations just make the whole show look bad: Red Tornado, Maxima etc.

- Again, sometimes less is more. The show puts a heavy emphasis on the action however, the budget limitations clearly show. When most action scenes look like cheap wirework stunts, then it should be better if they toned down the amount of action scenes and focused more on the few ones they have.

- Better story writing and dialogues. Now, to be honest I dropped Supergirl after episode 3 but from what I saw it was pretty horrible.

The Flash-Supergirl crossover was particularly bad, when the "big showdown" was concluded by a bunch of firefighters spraying some water on the villains.

That is very disappointing to hear. I was intrigued by seeing other DC characters pop up on the show, but the Red Tornado was a huge let down. I was still kind of hoping that it would get better in later episodes. I guess not.

Soaring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only saw the Flash crossover episode - 45 minutes of my life I won't get back

The only 'fix' is cancelling it

Errorinscript

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jbbuc: The show is on netflix now???????

UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Honestly, I'm finally at episode 12 and I must admit that it got a lot better. Cat Grant grew on me a lot, so right now I don't have too many of the same complaints I had 10 days ago.

larfleezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By larfleezy

Honestly, I'd prefer a Netflix Supergirl show with Linda Danvers instead of Kara.

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Avatar_of_Green

Many people like it, some people say its their favorite for the tone. To each his own. Acting like it is objectively terrible is just wrong.

And you guys who waited till Netflix simply for the format and ability to binge watch... then wonder why it got cancelled... the reason is you/Netflix.

JBBuc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@errorinscript: It's been two weeks so you have probably figured out that the first season is available on Netflix. It's not a Netflix show.

Adam4321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The show really and truly needs a sit down, I have, lot of suggestions but this is the one that stands out

Super girl needs to take a page out of Man of steel book, she can act as womanly and as cute as she wants when she is Cara Danvers but but when she is super girl she needs to act like it because what she is doing now is embarrassing

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't fix it, simple.

Avatar image for redwhiteandbluesupes
RedWhiteAndBlueSupes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jbbuc: It's like a mash-up of The Devil Wears Prada and the worst parts of Smallville. Wow. Great way to sum it up, I hate Calista flockhart's portrayal of cat Grant, I like Supergirl,but her status quo working for Cat and the portrayal of Kara is just off. It's by far the hardest of the CW shows for me to watch.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.