Does DC need a new DCAU?

• 58 results
#1 Posted by SuperAdam (1168 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel has a ton of cartoons on Disney XD. They are getting new, younger fans. However, DC Comics only has Teen Titans Go. This could be bad news, when these kids grow up. The kids who grew up with Marvel will read Marvel, while DC will be lacking a fanbase, since most of their fans will be too old to read their comics, watch their movies or whatever.

So why doesn't DC create a new DCAU? I know they've tried to create some superhero cartoons in the past that all failed (Young Justice, Green Lantern, Beware the Batman). But if they would have some cartoons that share a universe, when one cartoon ends, they can continue it with another superhero cartoon or something. Anyways, DC needs a new DCAU if they want to ensure their place in the superhero industry.

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
#2 Posted by obsidian_raindrop1 (490 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes yes yes they need a dcau.

#3 Posted by Batman1130 (1464 posts) - - Show Bio

I think work. But I hope if they do the characters are more true to their powers

#4 Posted by Deathstroke52 (7006 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

Relaunch animated Teen Titans or bring back Young Justice season 3.

JL United type series

Reboot of Brave and the Bold but with all kinds of different characters

Then for animated movies, keep doing JL ones. But also make animated movies to only portray stories that would be too over the top for live action and/or to promote characters that kids probably have never heard of (Atom, Red Tornado, Deadman, etc)

#5 Posted by MrMazz (2002 posts) - - Show Bio

That'd be pretty cool but the market conditions that let the first DCAU exist, relatively hands off management with a good economy for toy buying dosen't really exist today. Greg Wesiman was on Word Balloons the other week and did a good job summing up the state of action animation. It's just not in vogue, micro absurdist humor is in.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
#6 Posted by CaptainMarvel4Ever (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, base it off the New 52 (except Captain Marvel)

#7 Posted by Batmanx2005 (1588 posts) - - Show Bio

@obsidian_raindrop1: why can't they just make a revival of Dcau I mean I don't want it to be based off new 52 I want just a revival like the new batman adventure ( they need to use the 2001 design they used for joker) and every show people liked

#8 Posted by lxlGiftedlxl (2443 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by lxlGiftedlxl (2443 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
#10 Posted by CaptainMarvel4Ever (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@lxlgiftedlxl: IDK man, it feels like they changed him to make him more movie friendly, and with a film kn the way, I have a feeling he's going to stay the same :(

But thanks for the condolences, I'll remember this

#11 Posted by Darktimecop (366 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure, as long as they don't base it off the new 52. (MM FTW)

#12 Posted by kfabz-23 (6135 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman desperately needs a new series.

WW & Aquaman need some exposure as well

#13 Posted by 2cool4fun (2418 posts) - - Show Bio
@kfabz-23 said:

Superman desperately needs a new series.

WW & Aquaman need some exposure as well

Yeah, sups hasn't had one in years. meanwhile batman is having his 3rd cartoon in the last 9 years.

Really hope for a WW one ( and with her new costume :3 ), but Flash needs one before Aquaman.

#14 Edited by ganon15 (7211 posts) - - Show Bio

They already have another DCAU: Justice League: War/Throne of Atlantis, & Son of Batman/Batman vs Robin

#15 Posted by kfabz-23 (6135 posts) - - Show Bio

@2cool4fun: I think flash is fine he does have a TV show

#16 Edited by Titanbreaker (1304 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes! I would like them to do a range of well known heroes such as Superman series, Teen Titans and hopefully Wonder woman then do smaller heroes/teams such as Blue Beetle, Birds of Prey then work towards the big Justice League show.

#17 Posted by Hungry_Sharky (1394 posts) - - Show Bio

Expand the YJ universe!

#18 Posted by PenguinDust (9346 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, but while Disney sees its Marvel animated shows as supporting the larger Marvel film universe, Time Warner does not position Cartoon Network to do the same for its forthcoming DC film franchise.

I'd love to see them bring back Young Justice, but it would be smarter to do something more like Justice League where each storyline is two or three episodes in length and features just a few heroes. Batman teams up with hero "A" in one story, Superman teams with hero "B" in the next, Wonder Woman with hero "C", etc...toss in some of the villains who are going to be in the Suicide Squad movie and you've got a good primer for the feature films scheduled for the coming years.

#19 Posted by Superguy1591 (7539 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, but get individual heads of each series.

#20 Posted by Zearing (1534 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, but only if they have some good story ideas and a good direction.

@superadam: I liked Green Lantern: The Animated Series. I was really disappointed when that was cancelled.

#21 Posted by Titanbreaker (1304 posts) - - Show Bio

@zearing: Everyone misses Green Lantern series :( It went well before its time.

#22 Posted by Hawk80 (520 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as it's not based on the new52.

#23 Posted by Vitalius (5172 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes DC need another DCAU. I think it should be like Justice League Unlimited, where we have set characthers doing their job without having Batman or Superman or JL be always there.

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
#24 Posted by ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2 (7566 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought they do isn't that what all the new films about plus marvels animated is not somethingn to be proud off but I can see their logic of aiming at really Young kids and gettingb them onboard marvel however apart from the occasional good episode all 3 shows are awful

#25 Posted by SuperAdam (1168 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, but while Disney sees its Marvel animated shows as supporting the larger Marvel film universe, Time Warner does not position Cartoon Network to do the same for its forthcoming DC film franchise.

Considering how Teen Titans Go! and Sonic Boom turned out, I think this is a good thing. If DC does get another DCAU, I hope it doesn't air on Cartoon Network. Cartoon Network won't air anything that's not an eleven minute mindless comedy. These shows will be quickly forgotten as soon as they are off the air, except for maybe Adventure Time.

#26 Edited by sinestro_GL (3651 posts) - - Show Bio

They would just cancel it!

GLTAS while not exactly the basis for a new DCAU, was very entertaining and was produced by Timm. I felt that if it had been given a longer run, it could have fleshed out and introduce new characters and eventually lead to its own universe, much in the same vein as Timm's other projects.

BBATB was also another good shot at establishing a new universe, with the introduction of a whole host of familiar DC characters.

#27 Posted by primebonnick (4291 posts) - - Show Bio

yes more epic series renew young justice.

Hell bringback batman beyond or static shock too.

#28 Posted by Saint_Sophie (7263 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. Considering how their making a New 52 Animated Movie universe, I think it's high time they made a New 52 DCAU.

#29 Posted by MuyJingo (2862 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, because I dislike the movie universe they are trying to build, and don't have faith in the live action universe that is yet to come.

#30 Posted by CrazyScarecrow (2312 posts) - - Show Bio

I think so though I hope it really isn't based on the New 52. Maybe everything good from the old DC and the new DC. Pull from all the histories. I think the art style should be a bit more cartoonier. Young Justice was great though BTAS and all the other Timm show had a unique visual appearance.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#31 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

It would seem DC have abandoned cartoons in favour of a live action shared universe

#32 Posted by The_Kidd (12329 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes but not based on N52 because their animated movies are already doing that so it will be redundant and to honest it just isn't that good also Vixen cartoon is set to be apart of the DCCW-verse but I hope they don't just decide to group all other projects and dump it in the DCCW-verse as well.

#33 Posted by evilkryptonian (17 posts) - - Show Bio

why does it have to be on cartoon network? Can WB just let CW run some dc cartoons? Or is it listed on the contract that all dc animated show has to show up on cartoon network now

#34 Posted by lamdaddy20 (1439 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes

#35 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

JL United type series

Then for animated movies, keep doing JL ones. But also make animated movies to only portray stories that would be too over the top for live action and/or to promote characters that kids probably have never heard of (Atom, Red Tornado, Deadman, etc)

Wouldn't that have been the purpose of Brave and The Bold?

Also, Teen Titans and Young Justice are dead. Time to move on and move forward with something fresh. Like, maybe a new Birds of Prey series. Or Detective Chimp and/or Captain Carrot can get a series.

Also maybe with something like...Justice League 2.0 (From the Batman Beyond Universe?)

@penguindust said:

Considering how Teen Titans Go! and Sonic Boom turned out, I think this is a good thing. If DC does get another DCAU, I hope it doesn't air on Cartoon Network. Cartoon Network won't air anything that's not an eleven minute mindless comedy. These shows will be quickly forgotten as soon as they are off the air, except for maybe Adventure Time.

What's wrong with Sonic Boom?

#36 Posted by SuperAdam (1168 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

@superadam: Most of those were Sonic Games and not even Boom.

It's honestly not that bad q comedy, I think.

#38 Posted by SuperAdam (1168 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv: Sonic isn't supposed to be a sitcom. He's supposed to be a cool, larger than life action hero. And the exact same comedy used in the recent games is used in Sonic Boom.

#39 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

@superadam: I like sitcoms.

And I think the humor is the last thing that should be focused on being changed when it comes to Sonic.

#40 Posted by Deathstroke52 (7006 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv said:

@deathstroke52 said:

Yes.

JL United type series

Wouldn't that have been the purpose of Brave and The Bold?

Not necessarily. They could focus on that character's life or do an adaption of one of their stories. There doesn't have to be two heroes sharing the spotlight.

#41 Posted by username12345 (4583 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, yes they do. If I were in charge I would make a show with Batman and Superman as a team and make it about there adventures. It would be called Batman and Superman: Adventures.

#42 Posted by SuperAdam (1168 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, yes they do. If I were in charge I would make a show with Batman and Superman as a team and make it about there adventures. It would be called Batman and Superman: Adventures.

I would make a show called "Trinity: Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman". It would appeal to and be marketed for both genders. The entire Superman family, Batman family, and ...Wonder Woman and Wonder girl (Why doesn't Wonder Woman have a million spin-off heroes???). I'd have the new Power Girl from Teen Titans. a young Val-Zod would be Superboy, since I like that character. Supergirl would appear and have a romance with Val-Zod. For Batman, there would be Robin, haven't decided which Robin. Barbra Gordon as Batgirl. and Batwoman. Perhaps I could use Red Robin, Nightwing, and the Red Hood, too. For Wonder Woman there would just be Wondergirl. Its ok, since we also have Powergirl, Supergirl, and Batgirl to balance out the male to female ratio. Other DC heroes will appear, but the main focus will always be with someone in the main trinity and/or their families.

The first five episodes would be a five part story-arc. The first three parts show each heroes' origin story, framed as a flash back during a mission each hero separately takes fighting a common foe (Perhaps Brainiac, since he's a big enough threat). The fourth and fifth episode will show them teaming up for the first time, during their fight with Brainiac, and creating the Justice League.

#43 Posted by MadFacedKid (6596 posts) - - Show Bio

Id love a series based on Multiversity.

#44 Posted by username12345 (4583 posts) - - Show Bio

@superadam: I'm not a big fan of Wonder Woman except for the one from Justice League.

If you want Barbra as Batgirl the most logical Robin to use would be Richard Greyson.

I like your idea for a first episodes.

#45 Posted by NYBreezy (603 posts) - - Show Bio

If you want to make future fanbase for DC, they should definitely make shows that is aim towards kids with subtle adult humor or jokes and an underlining important moral message. That way, it can appeal to all ages and still make future fanbase.

As for a new DCAU, DC already started another one. It's the JL: War/Throne of Atlantis, & Son of Batman. Seen them all and they ALL truly suck. I can tell the quality has drop significantly since Bruce Timm left and Dwayne McDuffie died (RIP). DC is trying to base their new DCAU on New 52 and that's the biggest mistake they have made so far.

So yes, DC does need a new new DCAU.

#46 Posted by username12345 (4583 posts) - - Show Bio

@nybreezy: Aw :( come on now homie they aren't that bad.

#47 Posted by NYBreezy (603 posts) - - Show Bio

@nybreezy: Aw :( come on now homie they aren't that bad.

Haha they are bad. I got a certain standard for DC animated shows and movies. Now, if they were Marvel, I would give them a free pass because that's their usual standard.

#48 Posted by username12345 (4583 posts) - - Show Bio

@nybreezy: IDK I like everything they did with Batman, except Damian is a pu$$ boy. I liked the part in War when Superman was mind controlled by Darksied and Batman dodged all his punches then electrocuted him, and when Batman beat Deathstroke in one minuet and nine seconds.

Avatar image for heraldofganthet
#49 Posted by HeraldofGanthet (4461 posts) - - Show Bio

@captainmarvel4ever:

Yes, base it off the New 52 (except Captain Marvel)

This could work, but I'd prefer a third season of Young Justice first before they go the New 52 route...

#50 Posted by NYBreezy (603 posts) - - Show Bio

@nybreezy: IDK I like everything they did with Batman, except Damian is a pu$$ boy. I liked the part in War when Superman was mind controlled by Darksied and Batman dodged all his punches then electrocuted him, and when Batman beat Deathstroke in one minuet and nine seconds.

Thats all action. It feels like I'm watching a Michael Bay film. It's all mindless and violence. I guess the best way I can tell you what I expect from DC animated shows and movies is at least a good plot. A beginning, middle, and end that totally makes sense and dialogues that doesn't leave me scratching my head or moments like the video below that got me throwing my TV out the window.

Loading Video...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.