Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

DC's 'Justice League' #1 Hits 200,000 In Pre-Sales

• 89 results
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Ever since the initial announcement of the DC comics revamp, fans have sighted their reluctance and concern not only for their favorite characters, but for the future of one of comics' two largest publishing companies. The doubts on the minds of many fans came on the heels of announced changes that signaled the cancellation of many DC ongoing books (Power Girl), and claims that the publisher planned to put some old characters into shoes their old shoes (Barbara Gordon in 'Batgirl' and Dick Grayson in 'Nightwing').

No Caption Provided

However, the publisher had to do something considering comics sales have been on a steady decline, and dropped 7% this year, according to a report by the Los Angeles Times. DC decided to take a chance. Change everything and make their universe accessible again -- no longer would the reader need years of story-line knowledge to understand concepts in their books, now new readers would have the chance to pick up a book and know exactly what is going on, according to DC's Co-Publisher Jim Lee.

== TEASER ==

“Publishing is the engine that creates and incubates ideas for the other divisions of Warner Bros.,” said DC co-publisher Jim Lee. “We need to streamline our comics so new fans can come in and know exactly what’s going on.”

The decision was met with the reluctance of many fans who favored continuity; and many fans feared for the future of some of their favorite comic book characters. If you are one of the many people still doubting that DC Comics is making a big mistake by revamping their entire universe and starting all over again with 52 new number one issues this September, then you probably haven't heard the big news about the number of pre-orders for DC's all new Justice League #1, out August 31st. According to the Los Angeles Times, pre-orders for the first issue of the book presently over 200,000 copies -- this single issue out next Wednesday will be the highest grossing comic book of the year.

In the short run, it seems everyone in the comic-book industry will benefit. DC’s flagship title, “Justice League No. 1,” has pre-orders for more than 200,000 print copies, which would make it the bestselling title of 2011. Six other new DC No. 1’s already have more than 100,000 pre-orders.

No Caption Provided

The last time a comic hit over 200,000 in pre-order sales was Marvel with the release of their Amazing Spider-Man Obama variant cover, which sold over 350,000 copies, according to Robot 6. Most months DC is lucky if their big issues reach 100,000 -- so 200,000 is enormous for them. Then again, the publisher certainly advertised the book (and the revamp) enough, utilizing online comic news sites as well as mainstream media like the USA Today and the Associated Press as platforms to reach both old and new audiences alike. But Justice League #1 written by DC's Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns and drawn by Co-Publisher Jim Lee isn't the only issue "setting records." According to another report the first issues of Green Lantern, Flash, Superman, Action Comics, Detective Comics and Batman all have pre-orders "higher than 100,000 copies, making them among this year's bestselling comics." This means that without a doubt, September will be the first month in many where DC will beat Marvel, topping the comic sales charts. This is good for DC, but the question remains, will the company manage to keep these sales up?

There's little doubt that the interest in the revamp is certainly there, even if the books' sales do eventually drop below 200K; which is relatively likely looking at sales overall as well as the July books, for example. However, part of the "sales" problem might be because there simply aren't enough platforms to purchase books, making the fact that these comics will have same day digital release, a really big deal. The news about the pre-sales is good enough (for now) for both fans and DC employees alike to start getting excited -- one can only hope that the stories will live up to the excitement of the relaunch to keep readers (both old and new) coming back for more.

What do you think of the relaunch this fall? Did you pre-order Justice League #1? Are you looking forward to the books? If so, which ones are you most excited about?

Source: Los Angeles Times

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jordanstine

The true test is to see how Justice League #12 a whole year from now will be doing...

Otherwise, another relaunch could be due again in the next 7-8 years from now.

Reluctant_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Reluctant_Hero

I wonder of DC & Comixolofy will releases the sales numbers for all the digital #1s?

CanucksXVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CanucksXVX

hopefully not, i just hope this whole thing about the new online comics is the future stuff blows over, i really want comic stores to stay open
    Aldie_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Aldie_N

I hope I can pick it up without a pre-order

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

hmmm their plan seems to be working...for now... DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

super_psycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By super_psycho
    No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for comicbookheretic
    comicbookheretic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

#7  Edited By comicbookheretic

yes i pre ordered JL#1 and will be there 12 months from now too!  I am total stoked for the nu 52.  I am getting 48 of them and all have been order for their full 1st arcs.  

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Gambit1024

Nice :) 

But this probably won't last long. Anybody, comic reader or not, wants these #1's because either a) they really want to read them or b) anyone who doesn't wanna read them thinks this'll be worth something. 

VanAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By VanAce

Sounds like it has been very successful for them. I knew it would be big but I am a bit surprised that Justice League cracked the 200k mark. Also surprised that The Flash is among the others that have cracked 100k. The others were obvious but I guess with Flashpoint it has created much more interest.

B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By B'Town

I am pulling Justice League #1. I have never pulled the book regularly, but have decided to give it a fair chance. I will pull at least three issues and reassess if I am going to continue.

There are some books I am a die hard fan of; Wonder Woman, Batgirl & Detective Comics that I will continue pulling no matter what because I am that faithful to the books.

Then there are around 20 other DC books, I will pull, that will need to impress me within the first three issues or I will drop them like a bad girlfriend.

I'm excited about all of these new books, but I HOPE HOPE HOPE they haven't effed my favorite books up. :}

super_psycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By super_psycho
    @Gambit1024 said:
    Nice :)  But this probably won't last long. Anybody, comic reader or not, wants these #1's because either a) they really want to read them or b) anyone who doesn't wanna read them thinks this'll be worth something. 
    c) becoz of  new cool costumes
    difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By difficlus
    @Jordanstine said:
    The true test is to see how Justice League #12 a whole year from now will be doing...  Otherwise, another relaunch could be due again in the next 7-8 years from now.
    so true
    starrk_coyote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By starrk_coyote
    @super_psycho said:
    No Caption Provided
    that says it all ! 
    Mumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mumbles

this isn't a surprise right? everybody knew the main titles would get a high sell count. wait until the following month numbers....

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
    fenixREVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By fenixREVOLUTION

That's an impressive number to be sure and I wish DC the best, but this isn't one of the books I'll be grabbing.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I am going to get this issue and glad to see that it got some good presales

StarKiller809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

#17  Edited By StarKiller809

I'm glad they are selling well. I think that this is what the industry needs. I'm supporting this relaunch and I'm buying more then half the series.

Avatar image for green_lantern_2814_5
    Green Lantern 2814.5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Aldie_N: I'm with you dude
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By Mercy_
    @StarKiller809 said:
    I'm glad they are selling well. I think that this is what the industry needs. I'm supporting this relaunch and I'm buying more then half the series.
    This. 
    cobra88king8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20  Edited By cobra88king8
    @Jordanstine: I agree, this growth is all well and good but we have to wait to see if it sticks before saying that the industry is doing better
    GrimoireMyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GrimoireMyst

Everyone is waiting to see how this will turn out and I don't think there is any ill will on the part of the readers as all anyone wants is good stories which DC has provided in the past so I'm hoping them well knowing they have the pedigree to back it up with this tweaking of favored characters. Hope for fun filled adventures for years to come.

CrimsonTempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#22  Edited By CrimsonTempest
    @super_psycho said:
    No Caption Provided
    Indeed. 8/31 can't come soon enough for me. I'm effin' psyched!
    Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Or35ti

Go DC! I am confident that these books will last and am a huge supporter of the relaunch

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By azza04

We can only hope.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#25  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I don't care what anyone says about the new suit, Superman looks freakin' epic in that image!!! ^_^

TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheBlackHood

I have really high hopes for the new 52.  I'm an avid DC fan and have been for probably 15 years, the problem I've always had is figuring out which stuff has been retconned and which hasn't after each crisis.  Sure the big changes are given up front, but sometimes the minor character tweeks are done without any kind of clarification.  I'm hoping with this new launch that if you haven't seen it in a book, then it will be explained soon.  I'm looking forward to the fresh start and some of the stranger books are the most exciting.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @azza04:  

We can only hope.

No Caption Provided
    dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dondasch

Hmm. No mention of Wonder Woman #1 ?  Not sure if this bodes well.  

VanAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By VanAce

It will be interesting to see the market share between DC and Marvel after September. Also the numbers of some titles may end up being much higher as if DC actually because most new readers probably don't have a standing order and and some titles people wont pick up until the reviews are out. So I could see a bunch of titles getting second printings. 

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By They Killed Cap!

I have to say that even though I am disappointed in the revamp I am looking forward to this. 

Ultimately though isn't this just a bandaid on a bigger problem. Won't they be in the same place in a decade? Are they planning on doing this every few years? If so I can't say that I am all that happy. 

cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#31  Edited By cosmo111687

Any information on the rest of the order numbers? I'm really curious to know how many of the other books have been ordered.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

That's a good point made.  No doubt sales for DC will be up and outdo Marvel, but you raise an interesting question of whether the success can keep up.  I just hope that DC can keep it up..otherwise this New 52 can only see success through its initial numbers before doing the big plummet.  I'm on board with the relaunch now and am definitely getting Justice League #1 a week from tomorrow.  The ones I'm excited about the most are the Superman Family titles (Action, Supergirl, Superboy, Superman), the Justice League titles (Justice League, JL International), and only one book of the GL Family (Red Lanterns).  New 52, bring it on!

cdeoleo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By cdeoleo
    @CanucksXVX: Thats like wanting print media to stay around, just saying
    Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Mbecks14
    @super_psycho said:
    No Caption Provided
    ahahahahahahaha ditto
    Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Mbecks14
    @StarKiller809 said:
    Ditto. This is such a great attitude to have. I'm there with you
    Avatar image for where4artthoucarlos
    where4artthoucarlos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i personally think it deserves to be best selling of all time

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By doordoor123

Aw man I hope my store can still pull some for me 

sa5m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By sa5m

Good work DC =) Glad you are selling well

labarith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By labarith

In 2012... it all changes... (again...) 

Buy Justice League #1. 
    Next month?  Justice League #1! 

You know, IDW did this with the Spotlights... was not cool.

cristianstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By cristianstone

Will comixology have this available on the 31st as well ?

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#41  Edited By lorex

These are not real sales numbers because of the return grantee. In 6-10 months later when there is no grantee and the hype has died down the true test. No doubt DC will tout this as a greatest success and vindication of their reboot/relaunch. DC is riding a huge wave of hype right now so it remains to be seen if the quality of the product will match the publicity. Also it will be interesting to see how many titles they proudly brag about the advanced sales numbers because I still think there are several questionable titles in the 52 that will struggle to fine an audience to meet the high expectations DC will likely have. I just hope Marvel doesn't make a knee jerk reaction and make drastic changes in the wake of inflated DC sales numbers.

Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42  Edited By Pizawle

Expected it.

Hope this is indicative of an interest that will expand the market.

slick23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By slick23

As long as the story is good and the characters that I want is there, I'm buying it DC! :)

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By tonis

great analysis Sara. This is good news for them but it's a blip in their long term corporate concerns.

The real solution over the long run is going to be shifting the content distribution system to something that works for digital comics, much like music, regular books, and video have done.

Comics are in a 'tricky' position because as 'media' they're somewhere between an 'image' and a 'video' and more than an average 'book reader' can handle. That is changing quick though.

To complicate matters the 'media' hasn't been defined, standardized, or properly handled by anyone but 'pirates' and enthusiasts for a decade longer than it should have, so the uphill battle they face is because they slept on it when they should have been thinking.

Now they need to introduce a 'digestible media rights management system' that works across their diverse audience. Some want it on paper, while others on their pads, or phones, whatever works for their moment. They won't realistically buy it 3 times to do so though.

The good thing is, at least now it's getting squared away cause they really can't wait any longer to introduce a new approach to dealing with that and what better way than retconning all your titles and stabbing at it.

DC may or may not get it right here, but I gotta give them credit on having the balls to go 'all in' like this. It's the only way you really can make this kind of move.

TheNameIsWayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#45  Edited By TheNameIsWayne

@comicbookheretic: how and where did u pre order em? can i have a link?

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#46  Edited By Pokeysteve
    @dondasch said:
    Hmm. No mention of Wonder Woman #1 ?  Not sure if this bodes well.  
    She flown (no pun) under the radar for 60+ years. 
    dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By dondasch

@Pokeysteve  You can't be an icon of a comics universe and fly under the radar.  Simply impossible.  Hoping strongly that the Azzarello and Chiang team do her justice.

Zuckuss_02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Zuckuss_02

no longer would the reader need years of story-line knowledge to understand concepts in their books, now new readers would have the chance to pick up a book and know exactly what is going on, according to DC's Co-Publisher Jim Lee.

So what happens 20 years down the road?  Will they have to reboot it yet again with all new #1's because the "new reader" won't have to go through 20 years of "new" continuity in order to catch up? 

This is so stupid. I am 28 years old & when I was a kid & started reading comics, which was in the 80's, I didn't have to go through all golden age & silver age stuff to know what happened before because I would get confused or overwhelmed. I knew instantly & nowadays with computers & the magic of the internet, if a new fan wants to know what happened before, just search for it. Easy as pie.
    Frobin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Frobin

Restarting the whole universe would be ok and is reasonable, but what's absolutely not reasonable and just a total lack of understanding and even a loss of business opportunities is the merger of DCU with the Wildstorm universe. It doesn't fit ... and DC is part of a BIG company (Time Warner) ... there should be enoug resources to run 2 universes and the WSU has a huge potential of its own! Restarting and retellung the WSU would be ok too ... but the merger is totally inacceptable! 

Though DC ruined the WCU anyway ... to a postapocalyptic banality ... and then I guess the business idiots think: "oh, the Wildstorm books do not sell enough, so we do not invest anymore, let's make it a sidekick universe" ... but in fact it doesn't work because there's no plan and no concept for the universe and all we've seen since DC took over has been at best average, sometimes nice artwork, but in storytelling so weak ... and that's the reason it didn't sell, because of lame stories ... so restarting/retelling would have been a great chance to fix the WCU again. But NO, the business idiots at DC messed it up once again!

Mutie199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#50  Edited By Mutie199

is this issue a good chanse for me to read dc comics if i haven't read any before?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.