Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

DC Starts Looking At More Movie Adaptions

• 51 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Marvel has been making a splash with its movie news lately.  We've been on the edge of our seats waiting for any news or images from Iron Man 2.  We  have the other Avengers-related movies to expect as well.  What about DC Comics?

The Hollywood Reporter mentions there are some comic-based projects being worked on.  We have heard a little about Jonah Hex and Green Lantern Human Target airs on TV in the fall.  There's also a movie adaption of The Losers that will begin production this week.  There will aslo be a spy thriller starring Bruce Willis called "Red."

Besides Green Lantern, where's the big guns?  It turns out that there may be more movies being worked on.  Last fall, Warners hired Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison and Marv Wolfman as consultants and writers for their superhero movies.  This seems like a brilliant move but has caused some grumblings among Hollywood writers and agents.  The good news is Johns has written a new treatment for Flash which will be written by Dan Mazeau.  Warners refused to comment on the projects that Morrison and Wolfman are working on since they're in 'early stages.'

THR also reports that other movies are moving forward, some we have been hearing about for some time.  Apparently Warners is taking pitch ideas for an Adam Strange feature.  Aquaman might be produced by Leonardo DiCaprio (with his production company).  Bizarro has been talked about for some time written by David Howard and Robert Gordon (both having done Galaxy Quest).  Green Arrow has two projects as possibilities: an origin story as well as the long rumored Super Max prison movie.  We might see a sequel to Constantine.  A movie version of Shazam might still happen as well.

Movies in limbo include the next Batman movie (waiting for Christopher Nolan), Wonder Woman, Superman and the Justice League.

Do you think all the proposed movies will actually happen?  What would you be most looking forward to?  What character(s) would you want to see on the big screen?  What do you think about Johns, Morrison and Wolfman being consultants?
    Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#1  Edited By Dreadmaster

I don't think the Bizarro one will happen but i'm looking forward to all of them if they ever come out.

Liam Bradley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Liam Bradley

Well it's no secret that Grant Morrison's WE3 is being made into a movie.

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By johnny_spam

Wonder what Wolfman is consulting on? Morrison is writing We3 but that's a vertigo story and he admitted he's writing it a year ago so he may be consulting for some other character hopefully superman. 

Chaos Agent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Chaos Agent

Weren't the Teen Titans and Doom Patrol in pre-pre-production? Those would be good places to put both Wolfman and Morrison respectively.

Dicapio as Aquaman? amazing, Aquaman really needs a top actor to help take the super friends image out of the audience

Avatar image for kryptoncurmudgeon
    kryptoncurmudgeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kryptoncurmudgeon

Most of these will probably fall through, as they have in the past, because the Warner Bros. execs are basically clueless. If history repeats--and there is no indication that it won't--the projects that don't get dropped after millions of dollars spent on development will be twisted and tortured so that they bear no resemblance to their comic book origins, and will bomb horribly. Then the Warner Bros. execs who muddled in where they didn't belong will declare that the "comic book movie" is dead. then Marvel will come out with more blockbuster movies that will have DC fans tearing tehir sack cloths in mourning. If only DC were allowed to handle its own licensing...

Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Green ankh

Nathan Fillion for Adam Strange !!!!!!
     That would so be awsome...

Chaos Agent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Chaos Agent
    @johnny spam said:
    " Wonder what Wolfman is consulting on? Morrison is writing We3 but that's a vertigo story and he admitted he's writing it a year ago so he may be consulting for some other character hopefully superman.  "
    yeah but a Constantine sequel announcement was put with the rest of the DC movies so maybe....
    Xion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Xion

The Bizarro seems random, but everything else looks awesome!

Chaos Agent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Chaos Agent
    @Green ankh said:
    "  Nathan Fillion for Adam Strange !!!!!! That would so be awsome... "
    that would be awesome

I wanted Fillion for Hal Jordan but since that ain't gonna happen...
    glrayner85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By glrayner85

I think I would be most interested in seeing an Aquaman movie this character is great, but only a few times have I seen him be written by somebody that truely understands this character and dosnt make him out to be a joke. DC really does need to get out there more, but I respect the fact that they do take thier time to perfect and protect their properties and characters (with the exception of catwoman). But it would be such a brilliant move to tap the creators of DC to help write the scripts for the movies and help in other capacities cause they understand what the fans wanna see done.

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By Moomin123

I've heard that the JLA movie is gonna work like what Marvel have done with the Avengers movie. I hope the movies they do for the JLA are gonna be...

• Superman Returns sequel
    • Dark Knight sequel
    • Green Lantern movie
    • Shazam! movie
    • Green Arrow movie
    • Flash (Barry Allen) movie
    • Aquaman movie
    • Wonder Woman movie
    • Martian Manhunter movie

Not specifically in this order but these guys should definately be in the JLA movie if it's made. Jonah Hex shouldn't be in the JLA.

Avatar image for incredible_hulk_prime
    Incredible Hulk-Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

TheBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By TheBug

I think Flash is the only one thats really going anywhere right now. But I'm going to be pretty pissed if we see a Bizarro movie before a Wonder Woman movie.  A Green Arrow flick would be great.

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By MrDirector786

I look forward to seeing them all, if all of them will be produced. I'm mainly excited for Green Lantern and can't wait till 2011.

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AngelFrost

I think a Zatanna movie would be good (: or a Zatanna television series.

Wonder Woman needs a movie by now ¬_¬ They need to stop thinking about Bizarro and Green Arrow etc ... who we have seen recently on television screens and focus on the big 3 ... Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman.

But I do think  a 'Birds of Prey'  movie will be gooood, (: I didn't personally have any problems with the television show, it did stray from the comics, but it was still good. A movie may work better.

Ohhh, and Teen Titans movie? I heard about that a few months ago, but have heard nothing since, I'd love to see that.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Y: The last man!!!!!
    Preacher
    Haunted Tank
    Unwritten

Lets tap into Veritgo

dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dondasch

Wonder Woman is long overdue for a proper movie.  I would be very disappointed if something like Bizarro or Aquaman made it  before a Wonder Woman movie. 

The Clock King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The Clock King

I think a good, politically charged drama featuring Green Arrow could make a great film

kjc007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kjc007

I'm looking forward to Green lantern, The Flash and AQUAMAN!

santeria_smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By santeria_smith

the dude who wrote galaxy quest is doing bizarro superman? a tim allen movie? haha.

Blushadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Blushadow

i love dc i watched green lantern first flight it is briliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SuperXAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By SuperXAsh
    @kryptoncurmudgeon said:
    "Most of these will probably fall through, as they have in the past, because the Warner Bros. execs are basically clueless. If history repeats--and there is no indication that it won't--the projects that don't get dropped after millions of dollars spent on development will be twisted and tortured so that they bear no resemblance to their comic book origins, and will bomb horribly. Then the Warner Bros. execs who muddled in where they didn't belong will declare that the "comic book movie" is dead. then Marvel will come out with more blockbuster movies that will have DC fans tearing tehir sack cloths in mourning. If only DC were allowed to handle its own licensing..."

My sentiments exactly. I'm hoping that the Green Lantern movie will finally show them that there is more to the DC property than just Batman and Superman, if they don't bastardize in the process.
    Avatar image for the_crimson_nutcase
    The Crimson Nutcase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im mostly looking forward to Flash, GL, and Wonder Woman...the rest eh...

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Decept-O

Some of the characters listed aren't exactly household names.  Most of us on Comic Vine are familiar with them, yes, but the general movie audience does not, and I don't think it's such a good idea to attempt and make a movie on these other characters.  Even if its an attempt to "introduce" these characters, it's a bad idea.

It makes me wonder WHY the studios can't grasp the concept that the better known characters will more than likely sell more tickets. 

Come on DC, give us WONDER WOMAN, FLASH, and my personal pick would be the blasted CAPT. MARVEL 'POWER OF SHAZAM!" movie that has been talked about previously with Michael Uslan producing.   Oh, and PLEASE--do one decent SUPERMAN movie. 

A JUSTICE LEAGUE movie--yeah, that would be icing on the cake but it's just so frustrating knowing the odds of it happening are still slim. 

Citizen 14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Citizen 14

Really looking forward the Green Lantern move, the Green Arrow movie, and the Shazam movie. Also, a Wonder Women movie is very high on my list of "please let it happen".

@Moomin123 said:

" I've heard that the JLA movie is gonna work like what Marvel have done with the Avengers movie. I hope the movies they do for the JLA are gonna be...

• Superman Returns sequel
    • Dark Knight sequel
    • Green Lantern movie
    • Shazam! movie
    • Green Arrow movie
    • Flash (Barry Allen) movie
    • Aquaman movie
    • Wonder Woman movie
    • Martian Manhunter movie

Not specifically in this order but these guys should definately be in the JLA movie if it's made. Jonah Hex shouldn't be in the JLA.

"
    I hope this happens so bad, but movie ticket prices are making me poor. lol. a MM movie would be so awesome.

ricardom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ricardom

Honestly I'm not overly exited about a green arrow or a flash movie, But if DC produces some of the Vertigo titles , specially DMZ or Preacher that would be amazing, imagine Fables directed by Tim Burton...

Dipic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Dipic
    @Decept-O said:
    "  Some of the characters listed aren't exactly household names.  Most of us on Comic Vine are familiar with them, yes, but the general movie audience does not, and I don't think it's such a good idea to attempt and make a movie on these other characters.  Even if its an attempt to "introduce" these characters, it's a bad idea. It makes me wonder WHY the studios can't grasp the concept that the better known characters will more than likely sell more tickets.  Come on DC, give us WONDER WOMAN, FLASH, and my personal pick would be the blasted CAPT. MARVEL 'POWER OF SHAZAM!" movie that has been talked about previously with Michael Uslan producing.   Oh, and PLEASE--do one decent SUPERMAN movie.  A JUSTICE LEAGUE movie--yeah, that would be icing on the cake but it's just so frustrating knowing the odds of it happening are still slim.  "
    How average consumers do you think knew about Iron Man before the movie? And look at what a huge success that was. How about Daredevil? Constantine? Hellboy? etc. The movies just have to be well made and well marketed.
    Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Aronmorales

How would someone do a Bizzaro movie?

dan1509

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By dan1509

Im not exactly DC's biggest fan but I would really love to see:

• Dark Knight Sequel (Of course =D)
    • Green Lantern (I know its confirmed but I'm just saying, Id wanna see it)

but the top of my List would have to be Flash.

Like I said though, Im very new to DC (as you can tell -.- ) but thats what I want

DaMainMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DaMainMan

DC will drop the ball and re-do a Superman returns, Constine or Swamp Thing. Hey Marvel goofs too but with Iron Man, Spidey and the X-Men it's still making them dough.

Avatar image for alexander_anderson
    Alexander Anderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Green Arrow seems like it has real potential.  The others...meh.

Bergquist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#32  Edited By Bergquist

green arrow cool

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By Decept-O

@Dipic:    IRON MAN and DAREDEVIL are "top gun" characters in the Marvel Universe.  I agree with part of your statement concerning marketing and making the movies well.  HELLBOYdid make a name for itself by the movies; CONSTANTINE did just "O.K."   I am talking about where DC should concentrate its efforts FIRST for TRUE money-making whammies!!  Give the fans what they want and I am guessing---just guessing--we'd want to see movies based on FLASH and/or  WONDER WOMAN before any movie based on  ADAM STRANGE or  BIZARRO.  

Thespirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Thespirit
    @inferiorego said:
    " Y: The last man!!!!! Preacher Haunted Tank Unwritten   Lets tap into Veritgo "
    Second that. CONSTANTINE SEQUEL PLEASE. ( RECAST PLEASE)
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

#36  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @Thespirit said:
    " @inferiorego said:
    " Y: The last man!!!!! Preacher Haunted Tank Unwritten   Lets tap into Veritgo "
    Second that. CONSTANTINE SEQUEL PLEASE. ( RECAST PLEASE) "
    They probably could do better, I didn't mind Reeves though.
    Thespirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Thespirit
    @inferiorego said:
    " @Thespirit said:
    " @inferiorego said:
    Second that. CONSTANTINE SEQUEL PLEASE. ( RECAST PLEASE) "
    They probably could do better, I didn't mind Reeves though. "
    didn't do awful no but they could always use someone who talks louder and has more emotion.
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Bruce Vain

Well it seems like DC has been doing more with their Vertigo titles then with their regular DC Universe titles. But it's good that DC/WB is starting to pick up their game again. Cause I remember long ago they were more dominant than Marvel when it came to movies & shows. But it seems like Marvel has been leading the way, but I like to think DC is just pacing themselves before catching up.

Now we've probably would've have had a Flash movie already if WB hadn't turned down Goyer's script., when they deemed it was "too dark". When hello uhh so was the 90's show & lately with Flash's rogues gallery ,those are pretty dark colorful characters.  .

I still like to see a Shazam movie get going with the Rock wanting to play Black Adam and that Brandon Morale hoping to be Capt. Marvel. But we haven't heard much from that project so I have a feeling nothing is gonna happen with that yet.

I don't think that Supermax with Green Arrow is gonna happen.  I think it's dumb to make a Green Arrow movie without giving him his own origin movie. GA has an enough fanbase to be given his own origin story.Now it would be cool if it was a movie used with a lesser known DC hero like say Vigilante for example, but not for GA at least in my opinion.

Leo DiCaprio being involved with Aquaman is pretty cool to hear. I always saw Leo being Green Arrow though ever since I saw Blood Diamond since he kind of had that Ollie look. But I don't mind it if he wants to produce and possibly star in it , even though I do like that guy from Smallville who plays Aquaman.

Adam Strange I would definitely love to see. It would be cool to have 2 DC space hero films the other hero being Green Lantern, & I always saw Neal McDonaugh as Adam Strange.

I don't understand why it's taking so long to get a Wonder Woman and Superman film going again. That Wonder Woman animated feature is a good base to get a WW going I think. I don't see why they don't get Gail Simone to pen the script, and I think that Lena Hedley from 300 & Terminator show wouldn't be a bad WW. For Superman I don't see why they just can't get Donner again obviously he's the guy who can do the character right. Plus I've loved every movie Donner has done.

IGMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By IGMAN

i wouldmt mind seeing a flash or shazam movie. why would they make a bizzaro movie? wtf.... but i cant wait for the green lantern movie. i saw the fan trailer on youtube and it was kool. i hope its half decent as that.....i wouldnt mind seeing wonder woman=sexy....... if they make a justice league, it would make sense to make a teen titans movie as well.........

The Psyentist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By The Psyentist
    @ricardom said:
    "imagine Fables directed by Tim Burton... "
    That sounds interesting.
    Avatar image for moonknightfan123
    MoonKnightFan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MoonKnightFan123

Some Marvel movies were screwed up and done wrong, while DC movies, well, there's not a lot of them... Nice news.

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#42  Edited By Darkchild

Wolfman and a big movie=this man is happy as hell cant freakign wait

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#43  Edited By Darkchild
    @Chaos Agent said:
    " @Green ankh said:
    "  Nathan Fillion for Adam Strange !!!!!! That would so be awsome... "
    that would be awesomeI wanted Fillion for Hal Jordan but since that ain't gonna happen... "
    yes that would be awesome
    cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By cascadeking09

I wanna see Green Arrow, Flash, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Captain Marvel and Green Lantern on the big screen before i see anything being made like Bizarro. not that that couldnt make a good movie but its risky.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
    deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

Make a Red Robin movie, it's the only DC comic I haven't thrown up on.

deadkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By deadkid

really good news

cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By cascadeking09
    @reaper2923: they need to get robin in a batman movie first. it'll be a good while b4 we ever see a red robin movie
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Media_Master

Bizarro could be a really weird but cool movie

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By NightFang3

DC needs to get its @$$ in gear.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50  Edited By Caligula

I wanna throw these out there.

Superman: featuring two villains Brainiac and Bizzaro
    Batman: featuring Riddler, Harley Quinn and Killer Croc
    Green Lantern: with either Sinestro or Black Hand as the villain, and make sure Kilowog is featured as well
    Flash: with any of these villains, Pied Piper, Trickster, Cpt Boomerang, or Mirror Master... or Grodd
    Blue Beetle: i would love to see the Ted Kord Beetle on the Big screen

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.