DC Heroes becoming too God-like for their own good… Super Gods?

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jordanstine

Combing through Blackest Night / Brightest Day (which sort of feels like “52” version 1.5), can’t help but notice that a newly resurrected Aquaman (the original Arthur by the way, aka Orin, but not Arthur Joseph) was given yet another power: resurrecting and controlling the dead of the sea.   As if his powers weren’t enough already.  

Coupled that with a blog G-Man posted earlier about “Heroes looking at the big picture and saving the world”, and this interview with director Joss Whedon on why it’s tough for most DC heroes to be made into film for today’s generation: 

Anyone notice that the major DC heroes aren’t just superheroes anymore, they are basically Super Gods?   Just looking at the original JLA roster, Grant Morrison (JLA co-creator) even mentioned himself that the JLA feels like a team made up of gods. 

Just breaking down the main Justice League heroes, you have:  

Superman
- who is basically the god of superheroes not only in origin but also in the extent of his power.   He can do everything from flight, super strength, super speed, stamina, invulnerability, x-ray, heat ray, freeze breath, super senses (vision, hearing, including once foreseeing the future when a person would die (although they have never mentioned that power since).   The Superman of supermen. 

Wonder Woman - who is basically the female version of Superman with flight, super strength, super speed, stamina, etc. only obvious difference is that she has a lasso of truth, an invisible jet for reasons bewildering, and a booty-licious outfit.

Martian Manhunter
- who basically is another Superman (flight, strength, speed, etc.), but with added telepathy, shape shifting, tangibility, and regenerative powers mixed in.   I’ve always said that if “Professor X” was Superman, he’d be the Martian Manhunter with a dash of “Mystique”, “Shadowcat”, and the “Hulk” to boot!   Superman even says that Manhunter “may be the most powerful being on the face of the earth”.   Yikes!  

Flash
– it’s understandable that he just simply can’t have super speed, because what’s going to set him apart from the repetitiveness of Superman, Wonder Woman, and Martian Manhunter who all have super speed as well?   So DC did the obvious by powering up the Flash and making him faster than all the others.   DC gave him the Speed Force which not only breaks the speed of light it practically breaks the law of light speed and of time itself!  Holy crap!   Not only that, but he’s so fast that his strength can rival that of even Superman himself with his “infinite mass punch” that can destroy a small planet with a single blow.  Anti-Moniter has hinted in Crisis of Infinite Earths that Flash may be the most powerful man in the universe due to limitless power of what his speed can do.   Sorry Superman and Martian Manhunter.    

Green Lantern
- who can not only construct anything with his Power Ring aka “the most powerful weapon in the universe”, but he also could even use it for light speed travel, super strength, telepathy, tangibility, invisibility, teleportation, travel through time (with other Lanterns present), and use super healing that even a certain popular mutant would be jealous of.   In fact, just looking at all those abilities, he can do everything that would take 8 different “X-Men” to do plus more.   His basically a one-man “X-Men” team just by himself!   If Superman was a Pokemon, he’d be kept inside Green Lantern’s Power Ring.   Or should I be saying… if Manhunter was a Pokemon… 

Aquaman
– going back to Mr. Curry, who not only is basically Superman under the sea with super strength, and super speed underwater (not to mention fish telepathy and enlargement, and at one point even human telepathy for a time), but before his “death” his magical water hand was able to also construct itty bitty shapes (like a dirt poor man’s Green Lantern), heal the sick with a touch, take life away with that same touch (via dehydration), and create portals to teleport himself.   After he came back to life in Blackest Night, he can now also resurrect and control undead sea creatures, which he has retained after Brightest Day.   Holy Jesus!   Or should I say… Holy Joseph!   Or wait… Holy Arthur?   Or just Holy Orin? 

Batman
- sure he has no superpowers, but his Anti-Powers has made him stronger than ALL the heroes mentioned above, especially if we’re talking about Superhero Batman and not just Detective Batman.   There’s a thread here about good ‘ol Bruce Wayne going toe-to-toe and surviving hits against Superman, Wonder Woman, and even the “Hulk”.   In fact, I would go and say that Batman is the most Godly of all the superheroes.   For a mere mortal, Bruce Wayne is a Super God.   For forums to have all these “Who VS Who”, Batman will always be the winner, since he’s the “goddamn Batman.”   Always.   Someone mentioned that “Batman is the most powerful character in the DC universe.”   I say Batman is the most powerful character in comics PERIOD, end of discussion.  

You can also add a filler #8 to the roster like say: 

Captain Marvel
– who is basically Superman with the power of “Thor”. 

A Justice League line-up of Superman, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Batman, and Captain Marvel = UNSTOPPABLE!  The u niverse is saved!   Or at least “should be”. 

Ever notice that since they’re so godly, they don’t even have to use all their powers?   When was the last time Wonder Woman needed to use her super speed?   Probably not since the 90’s when she raced Jesse Quick.    She doesn’t use it often, but she still has it.   So why bother having these extra powers, when you're only going to use them 5% of the time?  They actually only use a fraction of they’re vast powers because they don’t need to; they’re already that powerful; except of course Batman because his super brain and Anti-Powers are always in effect.    

If you think about it even more, can’t anyone one of these characters destroy a whole planet by him/herself?  Or in G-Man's question, save it?  According to Batman at least (as seen starting around Superman/Batman #55 story arc) - yes. 

Doesn’t all these Godly superheroes make other “simpler” JL members like Green Arrow seem insignificant like a bug on the wall?   If there was a 5-Level scale where "1" is a hero with no powers, and "5" is a hero imbued with the typical “super” power of strength and flight, then the original Justice Leaguers would be considered a Level "12"!  

I can understand if they have 1, 2, or maybe even 3 supermen, but do they really need to have 7 or 8?   All in the same team?   How can villains like Lex Luthor or the Joker, mere mortals, continue to conquer and dominate the world?   Shouldn’t these villains already be dead, or at least (considering Supes and Bats no killing policy) put in a coma or paralyzed like the Oracle decades ago after countless confrontations with the JL Gods?  

Doesn’t some of the writing make you scratch your head in un-believability when in one issue you have Superman fly all the way from Metropolis to in mere seconds, only to find in a couple issues later that he has a troubling time trying to catch-up with a simple missile launch?   Or when Superman demolishes an entire building with a single punch, but then a few panels in the same book later connecting on another punch hitting Batman, to only have Mr. Bruce Wayne sustain cracked ribs, just because he’s the Batman gosh darn it?  

We have seen DC over the years slowly de-power Superman knowing how vastly godlike he is, while in turn, slowly powering up the other heroes to match up with him.   But after a while it all plateaus and Superman starts looking weak while everyone else looks much stronger, so DC starts empowering Superman again while slowly chipping away the powers of the other heroes, and this cycle goes on and on and on for decades.   Just read anything with the word “Crisis.”   So much so that not only did it affect the books, it also affected the cartoon shows.   Which was one of the complaints fans had over DC, which was addressed inside a commentary track on a Justice League Season 1-2 DVD by the show’s creators themselves.  

Do you feel that these heroes becoming too much like super gods more so than just your typical superhero in this day and age, so much so that writers nowadays have to come up with ways (sometimes way out there) to make us believe they’re actually vulnerable?   Bruce Wayne alone has some pretty incredible survival stories! :)

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By warlock360

So basically all your post is saying is that you think a new Identity Crisis is dawning!? D:

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jordanstine
@Voidheart said:
"So basically all your post is saying is that you think a new Identity Crisis is dawning!? D:"

Haha that's BRILLIANT mate!!! 

CylonDorado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CylonDorado

I havn't noticed. But I would like to go on record that Black Canary has mentioned that crossing the Atlantic in a jet is better then being carried across. Unbaffled now?
Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jordanstine
@CylonDorado said:
"I havn't noticed. But I would like to go on record that Black Canary has mentioned that crossing the Atlantic in a jet is better then being carried across. Unbaffled now? "

Heroes using carpool!  Nice.
warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By warlock360
@Jordanstine: thanks lol
AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AtPhantom

DC Superheroes being gods? Nothing new. They've been playing that for years now. 

Also, Aquaman's control of dead sea life is a plot power, he can only control dead life now, and only for the plot of Brightest Day. It's not really a new power.

sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By sexy_merc

Green Lanterns can pretty much do anything they can think of, but I like the fact that you know about those powers.
Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Theodore

It's alright, there are plenty of street level heroes as well but there needs to be some incredibly powered guys.

MichaeltheFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#10  Edited By MichaeltheFly

I agree with all of it, but again DC is constantly overpowering it's characters, it's a tradition to them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 52

DC heroes have always been a step above Marvel characters in power levels. It really doesn't make any difference to me. Any good plot device can create problems for them.
LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LT1085

That is one of the reasons that I cant read dc 

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By NightFang3
@Voidheart said:
" So basically all your post is saying is that you think a new Identity Crisis is dawning!? D: "
DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DEGRAAF
@Jordanstine:
Aquaman: he used to control or summon the living sea creatures then he died now hes back and he can only call the dead sea creatures and they kill instead of just injure or secure the enemy like the live ones do. He doesnt know why. He can no longer control the living creatures of the sea.

Flash: Infinite mass blow punch? 

Green Lantern: not saying it hasnt happened ive just never seen any lantern use it for: 
light speed travel (i have seen them use it for travel but not at light speed. In one of the most recent pages ive seen them flying is Hal and Ollie leaving watch tower and it took them hours to get from watch tower to earth, Ollie even complains about how slow and how long it takes) 
telepathy (ive only seen it used as a communication device like a police radio) 
tangibility (never seen them become intangible in anyway unless it was one of their abilities with out the ring) 
invisibility (never seen it done but wouldnt surprise me) 
teleportation (never seen it teleport, just transport large amounts of people) 
travel through time (never seen this done) 
super healing (never seen a lantern use this from their ring, i have seen a ring used to do surgery while being used by Soranik (who is a surgion) but other than that the only green lanterns ive seen have an accelerated healing are the ones that were born with it. the GLC even have a sick and medical bay on OA.) 

for aquama:
are you looking at all the powers he's had since he was created? He has super speed and super strength under water, above human strength out of water, regeneration when in water, can talk to animals mentally and call upon them (used to call live ones, now calls dead ones) that is all he has now 

Batman: Way over powered for a normal human and should have died long ago. Yea he has gadgets but he only has so many on him at one time and he can only take so many and dodge so many bullets at a single time. He should have died in every way possible by now. I agree 100%. 

again i agree with everything your saying these are just discrepencies i had wit the powers each person had. I didnt list the others because i agree with you on them. Marvel is having the same problems now. During Siege they actually fought the "gods" and basically won. They are starting to question how godly the gods really are.
girth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By girth

I like DC, but there power levels are just ridiculous.

Avatar image for ghostrider_fan1
ghostrider fan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ghostrider fan1
@Jordanstine:
thats what im saying thats why i dont lke DC as much but batman is a good part of them to level a little balance but not to much i mean look who the heroes marvel barley has that are super powerful 
Thor: hes amazingly strong and can control the weeather hes basically the Superman of Marvel but there moral is different since Thors a warrior hes willing to kill
Silver Surfer: i guess you cant count him since hes not always on earth but hes the only definite pearson people know could beat supes but hes only around usually for super cosmic beings 
Hulk: hes known for his great strength even though he's less powerful than these to he still is great for his rage 
Sentry: only other dude who is on level with these guys hes like the Superman of Marvel except alot weaker because thors on that level 
Ghost Rider: hes super powerful especially if you include both Dan and John. they are considered to be on a cosmic level by strange so they arre very powerful 
and thats all i can think of is four guys if you dont include Cosmic beings and there not all on one team! thors on the Avengers but hulk's been gone a while, sentrys dead, the GR's usually dont get involved in hero stuff and Surfer is around galactus right now. Marvel has an amount of strong people but not 80% of them are cosmic level DC, there whole team isfull of them save for Batman. in the end thats why more people that i know like Marvel than DC dont get me wrong they have some good points but i still like Marvel better 
WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WDW
@Jordanstine said:
"

Wonder Woman - who is basically the female version of Superman with flight, super strength, super speed, stamina, etc. only obvious difference is that she has a lasso of truth, an invisible jet for reasons bewildering, and a booty-licious outfit.

"
I resent that LOL.... Wonder Woman is in NO WAY similar to Superman..... her powerset is very balanced... unlike superman..... she does not perform retarted GOD like actions
Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

@aztek the lost: she's not a "god"
Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

I find fault with this post , but I don't feel like dissecting it either

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By tensor

i see somebody just drank some haterade

Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23  Edited By Baddamdog

Eurch, this is why I prefer Marvel, plus it starts arguments in the forums lol

gallagher410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By gallagher410

that is why i hate all of the JL except for Batman, and why i like lesser known characters like the new and improved batman and the Green Arrow and Red Arrow; they are not god-like but can still pull out a can of whup ass without completely destroying the competition. Though giving Aquaman that extra power will help him rise up from gayness. great article btw
NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NightFang3
@Voidheart said:
" So basically all your post is saying is that you think a new Identity Crisis is dawning!? D: "
Hunter114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By Hunter114
@Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
"I find fault with this post , but I don't feel like dissecting it either "
primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By primebonnick

man this was a long read. Yea but this is nothing new funny how all these God like heroes also lost to prime single handedly and even mongol and doomsday so they have ppl who can challenge them so its all cool

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.