DC fans, why do you prefer DC to Marvel.

• 166 results
#151 Posted by jb681131 (3452 posts) - - Show Bio

marvel is wining the movies no dout, we will just see how dc batman v superman works out and if it can beat out marvels avengers v avengers,

Well they made a lot of movies recently and so few were good out of so much. And some were not even made by Marvel themselves because they don't have the movie rights (such as Spiderman which is owned by Sony). They are just disapointing, because they have lots of money and wast it on poor movies and series (hulk, thor, avengers, ant man, elektra, iron man 2,3, agent carter, jessica jones, ...).

To answer the topic's question, I find DC's heroes more attractive overall than Marvel's.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
#152 Edited by infantfinite128 (6489 posts) - - Show Bio

My favorite characters are:

1. Batman

2. Punisher

3. Wally West Flash

4. Damian

5. Dick Grayson

6. Tim Drake

7. Bucky Barnes

8. Daredevil

9. Cassie Cain

10. Captain America

11. Iron Man

12. Spider-man

13. Nightcrawler

14. Wolverine

15. Cyclops

Batman is on top so I go with DC.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
#153 Posted by deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79 (12104 posts) - - Show Bio

I spent a great deal of time trying to enjoy reading Marvel comics, thinking I was a Marvel Guy. I enjoyed some of the older stuff, like Claremont's run on the X-Men, and some of the more random stuff like Marvel Zombies but none of the mainline modern stuff.

DC just never jived with me. Asides from Batman it was just too "weird" and "silly" to me. However all the nonsense with current Disney owned Marvel pushed me into reading New 52. I immediatly found what I liked (Aquaman, Batman, Justice League and some Superman titles) and had a consistent reading list. New 52 also got me intersted in reading the older stories. There are many DC characters that I still want to read about. Still, I don't expect to become a DC Guy either.

Anyway to answer the question; I feel like DC has richer tales. I like the strong fantasy/mythological bent to their world. I like that their heroes are much more powerful than those found in Marvel. I prefer DC because I read superhero stories to escape, not be reminded of the social ills of today. Modern Marvel comics are often juvenile, filled with slang, liberal ideas and memes only teenagers or tumblrites could appreciate.

#154 Posted by ZariusII (6248 posts) - - Show Bio

Most of the time my sole source of enjoyment from Marvel comes from the Amazing Spider-Man newspaper strip...and that's more down to the Leibers operating outside of Marvel's jurisdiction than anything.

New 52 has it's flaws, but I always feel greater risks are taken with the storylines, succeed or fail, and when they do optimistic stories, they excel at it more, there's a heart to matters, all of Marvel's books are either mean-spirited or are too silly and cornball

#155 Edited by jb681131 (3452 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#156 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (18857 posts) - - Show Bio

Better stories, villains & heroes, for me.

#157 Posted by JoeWithoutFear (8 posts) - - Show Bio

@farkam said:

I prefer DC because I read superhero stories to escape, not be reminded of the social ills of today. Modern Marvel comics are often juvenile, filled with slang, liberal ideas and memes only teenagers or tumblrites could appreciate.

Here here! I'm about as liberal as they come, but I don't want to read about it from super heroes in a comic book. And news flash to my fellow liberals, we wouldn't like it if for some reason Marvel books were all about conservative politics. Marvel is just trying to be hard to be trendy both with their references of technology and online culture and socially. Their lack of focus on good storytelling has resulted in a mess of a fiction.

DC has kept things nice and tidy since New 52 and I've really enjoyed that. Now, I'm cautious about what Rebirth is going to do. But, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

#158 Posted by Lanstar777 (50 posts) - - Show Bio

To me what's makes DC more enjoyable (and I do like some, uhmm…correction did like some of Marvels older legacy characters - now destroyed by them), anyways.. The reason I prefer DC is not simply the heroes, it’s the VILLIANS baby! Lex Luther, Joker, Darkseid, Bane, Zoom, Black Adam, Sinestro, Deathstroke, etc. The Villains (especially Batman’s) truly out match Marvels. Do not get me wrong there are some good Marvel bad guys (all puns intended), but in the end, for me, DCs villains are more enjoyable because they force so much more out of there heroes to deal with them and make the story’s so much more epic.

Avatar image for christianrapper
#159 Posted by christianrapper (6610 posts) - - Show Bio

i like both publishers. i think it's kind of dumb to prefer one publisher over another. i just read the books that i like. i am a spiderman fanboy. however, supes is my second favorite title.

#160 Edited by TyrantComics (112 posts) - - Show Bio

@jb681131 said:
@tyrantcomics said:

marvel is wining the movies no dout, we will just see how dc batman v superman works out and if it can beat out marvels avengers v avengers,

Well they made a lot of movies recently and so few were good out of so much. And some were not even made by Marvel themselves because they don't have the movie rights (such as Spiderman which is owned by Sony). They are just disapointing, because they have lots of money and wast it on poor movies and series (hulk, thor, avengers, ant man, elektra, iron man 2,3, agent carter, jessica jones, ...).

To answer the topic's question, I find DC's heroes more attractive overall than Marvel's.

That is the point alot of people make about DC is that batman and superman are bigger then most of the marvel hero's outside of Spiderman and the X-men. marvel just does better with less.

That being said tyrant comics is the best. lol

#161 Posted by the_red_viper (12896 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel often feels a bit childish. Sometimes I think they make characters and stories especially for the battle-boards. DC feels more mature.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
#162 Posted by linsanel_Doctor (8707 posts) - - Show Bio

Cho Hulk kind of annoys me. I'm not sure why.. but then again I've never liked Hulk as a character.

Avatar image for general_disarray
#163 Posted by General_Disarray (1560 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel often feels a bit childish. Sometimes I think they make characters and stories especially for the battle-boards. DC feels more mature.

I agree.

I think Marvel is 'cooler', for lack of a better word, but it's often style over substance. Marvel has better characters imo (although Batman is my fave, the rest of my top ten are mostly Marvel). But I find it harder to get into their comics because their canon seems so messy and confusing (the soft reboot probably made it even more convoluted). Marvel runs a comic for about 6 issues then it's yet another 'NUMBER ONE!!!' of the same character, so annoying. The New 52 wasn't for everyone but at least it organised things and made it easy to jump into.

Still wouldn't describe myself as DC or Marvel fan exclusively, love both equally. I think they're more similar than most would admit, they've both ran for so long now that there's a counterpart to almost every character / storyline in each company.

#164 Posted by Shadowmaster91 (2114 posts) - - Show Bio

Less drama on how the population treats their heroes or meta-humans.

#165 Posted by TheSaiyanMan (1745 posts) - - Show Bio

DC has the better superheros duh they have BATMAN, SUPERMAN , WONDER WOMAN , THE FLASH, SHAZAM.

These are great they also have very powerful female characters like supergirl , miss martian etc.

I liked DC since my childhood when i first watched the justice league animated series on television.

#166 Posted by tj849 (8569 posts) - - Show Bio
@eyedcyou said:

Because I liked more of DC's characters when I was a kid. Nothing will ever change that.

#167 Posted by joedin2056 (59 posts) - - Show Bio

Let me start my saying i like both Marvel & DC, but i do like DC more. Way more.

As for why, i just feel more connected to the DC characters. For me i feel they are more interesting, both heroes & villains. Also another main reason is the Multiverse, i love seeing different versions of the characters interacting with the main ones.

As for the media format i feel DC has better Comics, Games, TV shows, Animated Films/TV. But Marvel has better Live Action Movies. I do still like the DC Live action movies but i feel they are just having a bad time on picking their main villains and their story's.

#168 Posted by apkinstagro (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Because Marvel steals characters from DC. Most of their characters are terrible rip-offs of DC Comics' characters and other smaller comic companies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIxf0PB6tSk

Some of them have been listed here, but there are more as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzfaNXR-xqg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWs16OpNSbw

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.