Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

DC Comics - Short Reviews - September 7th

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Just a few words on this week's comics from DC. There will be a Pick of the week and the rest will be labeled as Highly recommended, Recommended, Recommended only for *the book's* fans, Not recommended. Please, feel free to share your opinions/thoughts on this week's titles.

• Batman. Gotham Girl tries to cope with the events of "I Am Gotham" as Batman wants to help her do that. Tom King's script was really strong and Gotham Girl is characterized very well. After the great David Finch comes the great Ivan Reis in this aftermath issue making it truly wonderful to look at. Pick of the week.
    • Superman. Superman and Eradicator's fight comes to a close as Superman's position to the world is slowly restored. This arc was simply amazing and it finished up very strongly. Great writing and amazing art. Highly recommended.
    • Aquaman. Aquaman faces Superman as he tries to clear the misunderstanding that put him in his tough position. I loved this arc so much and I think that it wrapped up in a perfect way. The dialogue between Mera, Aquaman and Superman was top-notch. Dan Abnett really has me hooked for what's next. Brad Walker returned for the art chores and I'm so happy about it. Really good looking issue. Highly recommended.
    • Cyborg Rebirth. Cyborg faces Malware's assault on STAR labs as Victor's past is revealed. The previous DCYou series was just ok but left me wanting. Thankfully, this issue promises a great run ahead of us. The one-shot wrapped up Victor's key past moments and grounded them into the story without feeling forced or sacrificing action or character development. The story was nice and well written. The art was amazing. Fantastic issue and I can't wait for the actual first issue next month. Highly recommended.
    • Justice League. The Justice League is up against the Kindred and every League member is facing the problem on its own angle. I'm enjoying the high-scope storyline so far. There are nice moments for everyone in the Justice League and no one feels left out. Tony Daniel's absence is noted but Jesus Merino fills in nicely for him. Recommended.
    • Nightwing. Raptor and Nightwing finally make their move against against the Parliament of Owls with The Moloch standing in their way. The story and the writing are really good so far. I think they wrapped up the Owls threat a little too soon (but I didn't want them to re-explore them so early anyway) and I think Damian has shown a little extra depth lately than what's portrayed here but these complaints are really minor. I'm not the biggest fan of the art as I mentioned in earlier chapters but it's fine for the most part and I think it's slowly growing on me. It could be the colors too which I'd like to be more vibrant. Recommended.
    • Green Arrow. After the showdown with the Ninth Circle, Emiko Queen joins her mother while a past event with Oliver unfolds. The story was fine and I liked that Ben Percy explored Emiko a little bit. I also liked the structure and the way it was scripted. Maybe his best chapter so far from that viewpoint. The art was by a fill-in artist (you can also tell that this mini-arc is basically filler) whose art was nice but I found the colors to need a little extra work for my tastes. Recommended / Recommended only for Green Arrow fans.
    • Supergirl. Kara goes to school while she tries to find her place in the world and the DEO. I found the Rebirth one-shot to be simply decent and this followed the same trend. The tone is generally fine but the Cat Grant moment and the DEO scolding didn't feel right. The art is not to my taste but it was ok, though a little rough at some moments. Recommended only for Supergirl fans / Not recommended.

General thoughts. In my opinion all of Batman, Superman, Aquaman and Cyborg were worth to be the pick of the week. Superman continued with another excellent issue, Aquaman keeps getting better and the storyline wrapped up in an outstanding manner, and Cyborg was a near perfect introduction point to new readers and also for readers experienced with the character. In the end I gave it to Batman because while I knew I would enjoy it, with it being an aftermath issue I was prepared for something just great. However the issue was so tight and packed such an emotional punch and I was a fool for thinking it could be anything less than that. On another topic, I'll give Supergirl a few more issues but I might drop it. Also it should be noted that Green Lanterns usually comes on the first/third week of the month but it was pushed back a week.

Rurgandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Batman, Superman, and Nightwing were top picks for me. Aquaman was solid, but the art was too stiff for a heated fight scene. Green Arrow was a bit bland.

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rurgandy said:

Batman, Superman, and Nightwing were top picks for me. Aquaman was solid, but the art was too stiff for a heated fight scene. Green Arrow was a bit bland.

Similar thoughts on this week's books. I strongly suggest Cyborg, it had a really good start.

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's really amazing how much Batman splits opinion. This is what it was like during Snyder's run too. Some rave and others condemn.

Rurgandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apokos7: I gave it a try, and I'm not so sure about it. It's hard to make a call, since it was straight exposition, and much of it was spent on Silas's background instead of Vic. The "man or machine" question is a bit played out.

Rurgandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rainshadow777: It's DC's biggest book, so naturally there will be more people who dislike it. You won't see this divisiveness on obscure books.

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rurgandy: First of all it was the first issue and it had to be an "origin" one. And to do that without boring old readers it had to feature a one-issue villain so exposition was a necessary evil. Cyborg is the youngest Justice League member so a lot of his personality is still defined by his upbringing. Also Silas is an essential supporting member of his so I didn't mind that. Well, it's the second Cyborg ongoing series and the previous one was kind of disappointing so they can play around the man/machine question for one arc to set up the character for new readers. Finally I found the issue to be a great character analysis on the character since you can feel that he is a seasoned hero and he obviously knows what he's doing but from the way he speaks he still gives a vibe of his young age. The issue was greatly paced as well as emotion packed. Phenomenal art too so that's a plus. All in all it really deserves support for now in my opinion.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What happened to Cyborg's redesign and other last run developments?

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: Great week indeed. With the bi-weekly shipping schedule both the odd and the even numbered weeks of the month are pretty strong but I feel that this week (Batman/Superman/Aquaman) is slightly stronger.

@adamtrmm: In the final issues of that run, as Victor deleted the last traces of the Technosapiens from his system, the run was pretty much self-retconned. Well, not exactly retconned as it could still have happened, just not that important moving forward and nothing to keep referencing or retain elements from.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By adamTRMM

@apokos7:

But his ability to control his body was still present right?

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: The issue didn't show him changing his body to the extent he did during the previous run, for example he couldn't change back to a complete human form (which is better in my opinion). He had his regular abilities, like changing his arm into an ultrasonic gun, etc.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Superman #6 was a real highlight of the week for me. Everything I wanted in a Superman comic. Aquaman was pretty good, Abnett seems to be going interesting places with the story and Superman's guest appearance was handled well. Fight was decent too. Cybrog Rebirth was actually interesting though I felt familiar beats from the writer, he used to write episodes from the 90s Spider-Man cartoon. Nice point about Supergirl, it definitely does seem to be aimed at the fans mostly.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By DeathandGrim

JL confused me how the pressure of the planet's inner core was hurting Superman but the man has survived the inside of Stars; something with enough gravitational pull to have planets orbit around it. It would have been cooler if we just saw him swimming through the Earth's core

The Cat Grant moment LOST me. I was confused, this is the same Cat Grant who was part of that god awful Clarkcatropalis sub-plot? When did she become a Metal Gear character?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.