MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

Edited By MrMazz
No Caption Provided

Today at the Diamon Retailer Summit, DC Entertainment announced the “first major event” post-Rebirth “Justice League vs Suicide Squad”.

The story will unfold in a two month/six-issue weekly miniseries written. The story will be told in Justice League vs Suicide Squad #1-6 followed by the corresponding issues of Justice League (#12/13) and Suicide Squad(#9/10) (Note: with how Suicide Squad is currently being produced something of a teaser will appear in Suicide Squad #8). Justice League vs Suicide Squad will be written by Joshua Williamson with art by Jason Fabok and Tony S. Daniel. The remaining issues will be written by current Suicide Squad scribe Rob Williams, the Justice League will be written by Tim Seeley.

No Caption Provided

The day that Amanda Waller has long dreaded has finally come to pass: the Justice League has discovered the existence of Task Force X! America’s paragons of truth and justice won’t take well to a government-sponsored team of black ops super-villains (with bombs implanted in their heads), but before the Justice League can shut down the Suicide Squad, a bigger problem looms: another deadly strike team is lurking in the shadows, one that could expose dark secrets throughout the DC Universe, with ties to the hidden truths of REBIRTH. Longtime enemies such as Batman and Deadshot, the Flash and Boomerang, and Wonder Woman and Harley Quinn will have to put aside their differences when an evil threat once thought lost to the DC Universe makes their return.

“This story is another building block to REBIRTH. With all of our heroes back on the board, it’s the super-villains turn. And the events within will set the stage for REBIRTH Phase 2 as a surprising team emerges and another piece of the puzzle of the future of the DC Universe, and the past, comes into focus,” said Geoff Johns, President and Chief Creative Officer, DC Entertainment.

The announced but creative teamless Justice League of America will be spinning out of this event. Which makes me believe that they will spin up a JLA like they did in the New 52 making it the State backed team (but sadly not the JLI).

According to the Wall Street Journal, Justice League vs Suicide Squad will be the first of four “quarterly events” the publisher will release from now on. The term “Event” has something of a pejorative connotation amongst comic fans, who have grown tired of Marvel always seeming to be in one universe shattering event or another at all times since the first Civil War. It’s also something DC hasn’t really done, in the New 52 there was really only one “Forever Evil”. I don’t think I’d consider Justice League vs Suicide Squad to be a capital ‘E’ event in the Marvel since. Without December solicits there isn’t proof of more tie-in issues, it is these line wide tie-in that tends to earn the capital ‘E’ (what Marvel is doing currently with Civil War II). Barring the pair of starter issues, this appears to be playing in DC’s normal crossover style, focusing on Family Crossovers like the Batman: End Game. Worth noting that event had special one shot issues of series like Batgirl: End Game that acted as the normal tie-in and didn’t stop the progression of the main series.

If DC keeps these quarterly events how they’ve been doing them in recent years, there shouldn’t be too much gnashing of teeth amongst the readership. It’s easy enough to just skip them and still buy books to read if things are effectively siloed.

Rurgandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Both Justice League and Suicide Squad have been among Rebirth's most disappointing titles, but the creative teams here sound good. Williamson on the mini, Rob Williams (hopefully without Jim Lee restricting his writing, and Tim Seeley on Justice League look appealing.

Epyon007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say if DC can stick to their schedule, given the limited amount of tie-ins (currently only Suicide Squad 9-10 and JL 12-13), I would say this is not a big deal. One of the things that people get annoyed about big marvel events is that they cannot stick to a schedule and poor character development leading from one massive event to the next. If the events are kept relatively small, I do not see that happening here. Of course if the events do very well, then DC will likely make them bigger and bigger... slippery slope sort of deal.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

I worried with suddenly focus on Killer Frost and Deadshot, I wonder if that means death/reform/the villain. I wonder what JLA is going to be since probably isn’t JSA and comes aftermath of JLVSSS. Could Amanda Waller trying to create new JLA like the past one in N52.

UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

@epyon007 said:

I would say if DC can stick to their schedule, given the limited amount of tie-ins (currently only Suicide Squad 9-10 and JL 12-13), I would say this is not a big deal. One of the things that people get annoyed about big marvel events is that they cannot stick to a schedule and poor character development leading from one massive event to the next. If the events are kept relatively small, I do not see that happening here. Of course if the events do very well, then DC will likely make them bigger and bigger... slippery slope sort of deal.

Exactly how I feel. I'm going to be cautious going into these mini events, but at the same time I feel like it could easily turn to what Marvel is doing in a few years. Which I hope not. If the events themselves are restrained and focus on a small group of the DCU then I think it could work. Which is what it sounds like they're planning. Another part that has me on the optimistic side is that from the initial start of Rebirth DC has basically said that they mapped out a plan, and that the Rebirth mystery will be unraveled slowly over time. If they were able to plan that, then I feel like they must have made a good effort for making quarterly events make sense. At least I hope.

My bigger concern are the titles that will spin out of these events, like the new JLA. It really worries me to have more than one Justice League title out at a time, just because one would be more influenced by events and not have room to breathe and say this is why they should exist as another League.

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rainshadow777

The whole Suicide Squad thing is getting bigger and bigger, it feels. I guess a movie tends to have that effect. I will probably check this out because I don't want to miss anything important to do with the Justice League, but I can't say I'm excited about them getting mixed up with the Suicide Squad. Josh Williamson is a pretty cool writer so that's a plus. Hopefully there's not too much Harley Quinn in it, but I think that's a foregone conclusion.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.