Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

All of DC's 'New 52' Books Sell Out, Go Into Second Printings

• 82 results
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_
    No Caption Provided

If the launch of DC's 'New 52' has done anything for comic books, its that it has certainly brought national attention and awareness to a medium that rarely ever gets it. After the news of the relaunch made headlines, its no wonder that each of DC's 'New 52' books have sold out and gone into second printings. You read that correctly: all of DC's 52 September titles have sold out and gone into second printings. In fact, some have done better than that. Justice League, which has sold over 200 thousand copies has gone into its fourth printing. Action Comics and Batgirl have both gone into their third printings.

While this is all well and good, the question still remains; will DC Comics manage to keep these numbers up? If the publisher is able to keep these numbers consistent and continue to sell out of these titles, then we can call it a real success story. However, the chances that the third, fourth and fifth issue of Justice League will see its fourth printing isn't really likely as numbers tend to decline after the first issue of a new series. How far will these numbers drop (if at all) and which title do you anticipate will continue to sell out? The official press release from DC Comics is below.

== TEASER ==

Press Release

It’s official! All 52 first issues of DC Entertainment’s historic publishing initiative DC COMICS – THE NEW 52 have sold out from Diamond Comic Distributors in advance of publication. And all 52 issues will receive second printings.

Here’s a further look inside the numbers for DC COMICS-THE NEW 52:

· ACTION and BATGIRL already have third printings and JUSTICE LEAGUE, the bestselling comic book to date for all of 2011, is in its fourth printing.

· AQUAMAN #1 is the eleventh title in DC Comics-The New 52 with sales of more than 100,000. The series joins the sales ranks of the previously announced titles ACTION COMICS, BATGIRL, BATMAN, BATMAN AND ROBIN, BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT, DETECTIVE COMICS, THE FLASH, GREEN LANTERN, JUSTICE LEAGUE and SUPERMAN.

· BATMAN # 1 joins JUSTICE LEAGUE # 1 and ACTION COMICS # 1 as the third title with sales exceeding 200,000 copies.

“We at DC Entertainment thank our creators, our retail partners, and our readers, and remind them all we’re just getting started,” said John Rood, DC Entertainment Executive Vice President of Sales, Marketing and Business Development. “We’re thrilled to be making history, but we’re not standing around congratulating each other. We’re working behind the scenes to leverage our recent success into our long term vision for this company and its iconic characters and brands.”

“There’s never been anything like DC COMICS – THE NEW 52, as seen by our unprecedented sales and overwhelming fan enthusiasm,” said DC Entertainment Co-Publishers Jim Lee and Dan DiDio. “All 52 first issues have now sold out in advance of publication and each one of the first issues has received a second printing. Backed by DC Entertainment’s massive marketing campaign, dozens of retailer events, and hundreds of headlines from around the globe, this is a watershed moment for the comic book industry. It’s the most significant publishing event in the last 25 years of this company’s long and storied history.”

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Saren

Nice.

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By EnSabahNurX

Nice to see comic sales skyrocketing, hope the momentum holds

msavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By msavo

Very happy about this although I've been buying all my books digitally. I would buy some print versions but the local comic book store is run by a creepy dude and the other half of the store is an alligator petting zoo... I'll just sit at home and buy them from the iPad.

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jordanstine

That means even Rob Liefeld's HAWK & DOVE #1 sold out!!!

I'm not sure if those exclamation points are due to amazement or complete shock.

No Caption Provided

WE SOLD OUT BABY!!!

Avatar image for princesssolaria
    PrincessSolaria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PrincessSolaria

Awesome!!!!

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By NightFang3

That's crazy!

Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Or35ti

Yes!! Let's hope these numbers never die!

super_psycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By super_psycho

Batman FTW

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

i really hope they can keep this up, heck even a fraction of this would be great

The_Warlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By The_Warlord

Sweet

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By fodigg

Some of these didn't deserve to sell out. That speaks to the wisdom of this move by DC. Good for them. Anything that helps the industry.

nazer858

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By nazer858

Amazing news, also very interested in seeing how the digital numbers pan out as well

Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By Baddamdog

...even omac?

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14  Edited By FoxxFireArt

It's good for DC that they are selling well, but this is only one month. Everyone is talking about these series.

Now, lets see if they can keep these sales going once the media isn't laser focused on them. If in 3 to 6 months they are selling this well, or at least better than they were a year from then. Only then can we be sure what they did worked.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#15  Edited By Outside_85

I'm happy for them...but eventually some titles will get canned.

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By KainScion

meh. most of those sales are due to everybody wanting #1 issues thinking they can sell them for a lot years from now. show me sales for #2 and #3 and THEN i'll be impressed.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#17  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Its prtty cool that Aquaman is up there

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By ReVamp

@Baddamdog said:

...even omac?

@Jordanstine said:

That means even Rob Liefeld's HAWK & DOVE #1 sold out!!!

I'm not sure if those exclamation points are due to amazement or complete shock.

No Caption Provided

WE SOLD OUT BABY!!!

o.O.

Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Marshal Victory

Its like the 90s all over again.. an that didnt last either so... Congrats DC.Three to six months from now how many of these titles will be around?Im gona guess 20% get caned.They have target numbers an if they dont reach them dc is suposed to can the title.

Just wish some of these reboots apealed to me.Oh well speculators did same thing before with millinium.. crisis.. etc.Tho resurection man might be the real sleeper hit from what im reading.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20  Edited By damswedon

Anyone know what the reaction has been like around the UK? I haven't been to a comic store in since batgirl and I stopped using the online store I normally use once they decided £5 an issue was a good idea.

Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Marshal Victory
    Avatar image for omertalvendetta
    Omertalvendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Omertalvendetta

Funny how my local CBS had 25 copies of OMAC and that's getting second printing.... how about those 25 sell first before they reprint that atrocious comic. Hell, the same can be said about half of the new 52 books... most of them have been mediocre at best.

ChernobylCow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By ChernobylCow

Luckily there are some really good books. But there are also some pretty poor ones. Pretty much all of the Bat-family have been great books for me. It's good to be back in Gotham.

CrimsonTempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#24  Edited By CrimsonTempest

This is a win, not just for DC Comics, but for the comic book industry, as a whole. Granted, skepticism is still rampant going into the second month, and a good amount of those titles won't honestly be repeating the same amount of success, (JLI, H&D, OMAC, Legion L., M.o.W, even though I loved reading a war comic), but the fact that it managed to reach that many new readers in under a month is something to be astounded about. 

And besides, Swamp Thing and Animal Man have become my new imperative to buy. Big things will happen from these books, watch.

Avatar image for metropoliskid41
    MetropolisKid41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MetropolisKid41
    @Omertalvendetta
    It all goes down to distribution, your CBS obviously over-ordered OMAC so that its still shelf warming where as other areas are out of it and there are customers demanding it. The comic book shop I hit up last week sold out of Nightwing in 2 hours while they still had tons of Batman #1 issues a few days later. Just depends on how many numbers of the 1st print each shop was able to lock up compared to the demand for that book in the area. In some areas OMAC has been selling super high, crazy right?
    Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By Jekylhyde14

@Marshal Victorysaid:

@damswedon said:

Anyone know what the reaction has been like around the UK? I haven't been to a comic store in since batgirl and I stopped using the online store I normally use once they decided £5 an issue was a good idea.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/09/27/dc-comics-announce-eleven-of-the-new-52-sell-more-than-100k-three-sell-200k/

says 15% of those numbers.

Yeah, retailer orders and actual books sold to readers are two different things. Still, this is impressive. DC hasn't had a month like this in the last decade and I don't think anyone was expecting all the first prints to sell out of every title. The demand must be pretty high for retailers to buy them out. Yes, we know the numbers will drop a bit in the coming months but you really can't be off to a more promising start than this. It's a shot to the arm for the industry at the very least.

MetropolisKid41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MetropolisKid41
    @CrimsonTempest said:
    This is a win, not just for DC Comics, but for the comic book industry, as a whole. Granted, skepticism is still rampant going into the second month, and a good amount of those titles won't honestly be repeating the same amount of success, (JLI, H&D, OMAC, Legion L., M.o.W, even though I loved reading a war comic), but the fact that it managed to reach that many new readers in under a month is something to be astounded about.   And besides, Swamp Thing and Animal Man have become my new imperative to buy. Big things will happen from these books, watch.

Well said, and I whole heartedly agree, this is huge for the entire comic industry, its great for the shops, readers, and all comic companies no matter how big or small. It's bringing loads of new readers into shops and I'm guessing that a fair amount of them also picked up a few Marvel, IDW, Dark Horse, Dynamite, Top Cow, etc issues along with their new DC stuff.  

DC took a huge gamble and so far its paying off, after tomorrow I'm going to be up to around to picking up half of the 52 line-up and I've loved every single title I've read. I really might add all 20some to my pull list until they give me a reason not to read them.
    hajime76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By hajime76

I would probably fall in the demographic of fan getting back into comics after a long hiatus but the New 52 did get me excited about comic books in general. The "relaunch" gave me a chance to try titles that I would not normally read based on the creative talent involved (Jeff Lemire, Scott Snyder, Brian Azarrello, Cliff Chiang). I do hope the increase in readership continues to grow or remains somewhat constant if only to support and encourage these creative teams for the long haul.

FalcomAdol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FalcomAdol

Hardly the 90s. In the 90s things with Jim Lee's name inside the issue were selling two or three times this.

Still, there are probably more "good to great" comics in this lineup than we have any right to. The bad are far outnumbered by the good at DC right now.

GL and the Batverse were the only* things worth reading at DC for far too long.

*only is a statement that is intentionally overstating reality to make a point, exceptions will be deemed proof of the rule

_jackbauer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By _jackbauer
    While this is all well and good, the question still remains; will DC Comics manage to keep these numbers up?

All DC can keep doing is putting out great stories with great art. It's the buyers who keep those numbers up.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Well, in truth, I'm of two opinions when it comes to this bit of knowledge. First of all, I'm glad at the overwhelming success that the New 52 has shown thus far. In truth I didn't expect all 52 titles to go into second printings. Makes sense that ones like Justice League, Batgirl, and Action would go into even more printings. But what about things like OMAC or Suicide Squad or others that so far I anticipated going down the drain? Pretty amazing! Good for September.

But that's just it. It's September. The industry's been in a frenzy with this new reality of the DCU and frankly its like any new thing to people. Its exciting, hip and current. And while that is all well and fine, one must take into consideration just as this article suggests at how long they can keep the success up. Marginal demand will start to dip in some of these titles no doubt while others will remain consistent and some even get better and better. Many will be ongoing titles while I'm more than certain the overwhelming majority will be simple miniseries.

In conclusion, its my gut instinct that these initial successes in sales are above and beyond what I expected, but I in no way am expecting these numbers to hold up months from now. It may not be impossible for a comic company to keep up 52 new titles as ongoing volumes, it will be extremely difficult to keep up such a success rate. This is merely a honeymoon right now for DC with this new reality. Eventually things with tire down and things will get back to normal, and then we shall see where the success lies in New 52.

Great show thus far regardless of what may happen in the future.

MetropolisKid41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MetropolisKid41
    @FalcomAdol said:

Hardly the 90s. In the 90s things with Jim Lee's name inside the issue were selling two or three times this.

Still, there are probably more "good to great" comics in this lineup than we have any right to. The bad are far outnumbered by the good at DC right now.

*only is a statement that is intentionally overstating reality to make a point, exceptions will be deemed proof of the rule

What book that Jim Lee worked on ever reached 400,000-600,000 copies sold for a single issue? Or what book ever for that matter reached those sale numbers?  

They have potential 3 books that could each break the previous sales record for a single issue in the last decade.
    super_psycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By super_psycho

@FalcomAdol said:

which comic book sold 3 times more than justice league #1?

Rise2Ragnarok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Rise2Ragnarok

Hopefully the sales stay high after September, that's where the real numbers matter.

Xaviersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Xaviersx

I just hope its not comic speculation and a real market gain.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @super_psycho said:

@FalcomAdol said:

Jim Lee's X-men
    Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jordanstine

@MetropolisKid41 said:

@FalcomAdol said:

What book that Jim Lee worked on ever reached 400,000-600,000 copies sold for a single issue? Or what book ever for that matter reached those sale numbers? They have potential 3 books that could each break the previous sales record for a single issue in the last decade.

What book of Jim Lee reached 600,000 or more copies?

How about... X-Men #1 which sold 8,100,000 again that's 8.1 MILLION copies.

No Caption Provided

In other news...

Marvel to re-release X-Men #1 20th Anniversary Issue by Jim Lee (Re-Colored and Re-Mastered).

super_psycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By super_psycho

@TheCrowbar said:

@super_psycho said:

@FalcomAdol said:

Jim Lee's X-men

thx

TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TheBlackHood

@Jordanstine said:

@MetropolisKid41 said:

@FalcomAdol said:

What book that Jim Lee worked on ever reached 400,000-600,000 copies sold for a single issue? Or what book ever for that matter reached those sale numbers? They have potential 3 books that could each break the previous sales record for a single issue in the last decade.

What book of Jim Lee reached 600,000 or more copies?

How about... X-Men #1 which sold 8,100,000 again that's 8.1 MILLION copies.

No Caption Provided

In other news...

Marvel to re-release X-Men #1 by Jim Lee

The first few issues were really great. Marvel did help their sales by having 4 different covers for that issue.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#40  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

DcRules!!!!!

MetropolisKid41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MetropolisKid41
    @Jordanstine

True you got me there, I guess I didn't remember that book selling that ridiculously high amount of copies. But it did help that there were 4 or 5 covers and that was right in the boom where every non comic reading person tried to suck up all the #1 issues or variant covers thinking that they would someday be worth thousands of dollars. Those numbers are skewed a lot by people who bought 5 copies, but that is super impressive none the less and has to stand as the highest selling comic book of all time I would assume. 

However I don't think that series continued to sell 600,000-800,000 copies each issue as was claimed earlier. 

Also it needs to be taken into account the number of downloaded versions nowadays, including the thousands that are illegally downloaded that steal away the actual numbers of the book. I'm by no means saying that Justice League #1 is going to hit 8 million copies if those were taken into account, I'm just saying it'd be closer to 300,000-400,000 copies
    Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

That is really good news for the sale for the first prints and the Dc reboot itself.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By dernman

The sales will eventually go down but I hope it will stay higher then what it was before.

LadyBleez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By LadyBleez

@KainScion: I agree with you on that.

Mumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Mumbles

good job dc. loving most of the new 52 titles. can't wait for tomorrow for the final week of the new 52.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By craigbo180

I don't even have a comic store or any place to buy these comics in my town. I would have to buy online which I have only ever done for trades. Such a bummer.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By moywar700

God I couldn't get an issue of wonder women

They sold out and I have to wait a week to get one

Sergotron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Sergotron

Another reason why I love digital comics. We don't have to worry about this no more.

Wattup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Wattup

Sigh. I'm still waiting for my copy of G'nort #1...

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Primmaster64

Superman kicking a$$ again

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.