Follow

David Zavimbe

Character » David Zavimbe appears in 77 issues.

David Zavimbe was a former child soldier turned policeman who became the first Batwing. He eventually retired from vigilantism, and the Batwing mantle was taken up by Luke Fox.

An African Justice League?

BlueArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BlueArrow

So if you've read Batwing, you know that their was already an African Justice League, called The Kingdom, but they are as of now long disbanded with most dead. My idea, is that Batwing will put togeather his own version of the Kingdom.

We know he is/was already apart of 2 teams, Batman, inc and the JLI. In Batwing issue 12, he and the whole JLI go to Africa in order to take down a warlord (Lord Battle) and his team of Metahumans. This shows that there are times that Batwing does call for help, and now that the JLI is disbanded, he does not have a team to assist him. It would make sense that he would create a team of his own in Africa to deal with situations that he can't handle alone. There are also a plethora of really unique characters in Africa that could be on the team.

These would be the ones that need to be on the team:

Batwing: The leader/ Batman of the group, uses the computers and assigns the missions.

Vixen: Former team mate, very versatile plus a female.

B'wana Beast: The comedic character, who is trying to prove himself.

Congorilla: Have him be the grumpy old man on the team seeing how he was very old in the old DCU.

Doctor Mist: His powers aren't animal based which is a plus and he is already involved in the JLD, and DC loves having characters in multiple books.

Possible other characters:

Tabu: While she is connected to the Red, which DC loves doing with characters nowadays, her powers are too similar to Vixen's.

Flint: Plus side is that Flint is a Wildstorm character, helping the DCU/Wildstorm merge and her powers aren't animal based like all the others.

Catman: First hear me out, while he isn't a hero when it comes to people, he did dedicate his life to protecting the Big Cats in Africa. So, I could see him working with the team for an issue or 2 when the team goes after poachers.

BlueArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By BlueArrow

freaking computer froze and double posted

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By ReVamp

The line-up is surprisingly better than expected. I wouldn't call it JLAfrica, but I wouldn't be against it either. Except Doctor Mist.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By dernman
    @ReVamp: What's wrong with Dr Mist? Anyway I'd rather them go with a different name instead of reusing Justice League. Marvel has a different name for each countries team. The should go by the Kingdom picking ut up from the last team.
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ReVamp

@Dernman said:

@ReVamp: What's wrong with Dr Mist? Anyway I'd rather them go with a different name instead of reusing Justice League. Marvel has a different name for each countries team. The should go by the Kingdom picking ut up from the last team.

I haven't read JLD 13, but after 12 I don't feel really feel like I'd want that direction taken. I'm not particularly against it, but I just don't like it as much.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By dernman
    @ReVamp: I haven't read 13 yet either but still wasn't it because of a wife or something. Marvel characters have come back from worse. :p
    evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By evilvegeta74

Should add Icon they need a Black Superman!

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ReVamp

@evilvegeta74: Yesh.

@Dernman said:

@ReVamp: I haven't read 13 yet either but still wasn't it because of a wife or something. Marvel characters have come back from worse. :p

Yeah, it was, but... meh.

JSH92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By JSH92

I dunno, sounds a little strange to me. I mean, Africa is not one country, or even a closely knit group of countries. Nigeria, Egypt, and South Africa are all more different than each other than are the United States and Canada with each other. So, it's basically like the Justice League International 2.0

While on the subject, I think it's really ignorant to call Batwing the Batman of Africa, for the same reasons. I mean, we have the Batman of Gotham City, and here with Batwing they want to have a Batman of an entire continent? That makes no sense to me. But that's besides the point of this thread I suppose.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By evilvegeta74

They need a GL as well! Stewart or Baz

Bigheart711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Bigheart711

Sounds very interesting, but I think they would go by a different name, but I'd still read it.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Twentyfive

Freaking hell. That is what I have been wishing for for a looooooong time. I am glad I am not the only one who wants to see that.

I like your line up. I am in favor of diversifying it, and I saw you did that.They could have Batwing, Vixen, Catman, B'wana, and an Arab hero. Preferably a new Arab hero because Baz is American. If Batwing lasts longer than this wave, and if DC figures out that the Kingdom was an incredible aspect of Africa in DC continuity, I would like to see that.

They should also get back to telling stories that are uniquely African. That Pirate storyline they had was amazing, yet they ditched is so fast. That was such a shame. The Pirates should come back (even though that ship was blown up. Doesn't mean we can't have a new group of pirates) with an even larger storyline. They could have a very important DC character hostage.

They can also have a story focusing on African magic and martial arts. Make their own heroes while they're at it. But it is only a matter of time, and DC coming to their senses.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

#13  Edited By StMichalofWilson

I like this line-up. Course it would be cool of Icon or Static was part of the group. Just sayin'.

BlueArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BlueArrow

@Twentyfive: Thank you, and the whole Uniquely African storyline aspect was what I was thinking with the whole Catman, poachers story.

No Caption Provided

As for your Arab hero, what about: Iron Butterfly,

Basically, the DC version of Magneto, who is Palestinian, which fits both the female/racial diversity DC wants. Best part is she actually wears a suit of Armor, that she uses as her source of Metal in Metal-less areas. (never understood why Magneto never wears armor)

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Twentyfive

They should retconn her place of origin to be Egypt, or Morocco or something. She's cool. Probably needs a modern look. Also, that is awesome. Poaching is a tragic aspect f Africa that needs to be explored. Catman would be cool.

BlueArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BlueArrow

@Twentyfive said:

They should retconn her place of origin to be Egypt, or Morocco or something. She's cool. Probably needs a modern look. Also, that is awesome. Poaching is a tragic aspect f Africa that needs to be explored. Catman would be cool.

Thank you.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Get Bronze Tiger on there!

BlueArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BlueArrow

@evilvegeta74 said:

Should add Icon they need a Black Superman!

YES! as long as they rewrite his origin so he would fit better and be in Africa, I agree. Also, they need to have his powers work differently so he isn't to similar to superman and Apollo.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#19  Edited By Teerack

@evilvegeta74: Baz isn't African or black for that matter.

TheThe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheThe

When we talk about african characters, animal based powers are overused and cliché to me. The heroes from the Kingdom team were perfectly fine with me. Judd Winick should write a sort of "flashback" story about them. He should explore stories outside the stereotypes, by making a good move with an all-african line-up. He can create new heroes if he wants to. I'm confident in his talent.

BlueArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BlueArrow

@TheThe said:

When we talk about african characters, animal based powers are overused and cliché to me. The heroes from the Kingdom team were perfectly fine with me. Judd Winick should write a sort of "flashback" story about them. He should explore stories outside the stereotypes, by making a good move with an all-african line-up. He can create new heroes if he wants to. I'm confident in his talent.

While that is a cool idea, there's no way a team of unknown characters would sell enough.

Comicman1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Comicman1000

While I like the idea of this team I don't think Icon or John Stewart or other black superheroes should be on an "African" team based solely on their color. I love your choice of B'wana Beast and Vixen, kinda like the Hawkman and Hawkgirl of the team. It could also use some new faces, some original characters. And yes the animal powers thing is kinda overused when it comes to African and Native American superheroes.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#23  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Why are pepole adding random black characters that aren't even African?

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Twentyfive

Bad news. Batwing may not survive past issue 20, as was hinted in CBR's interview with Fabien Nicieza.

Too bad. It really was good while it lasted. I give the series a B minus.

Dhor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dhor

you had me at Catman. I miss him. I wish they bring him back exaclly like he has before the new 52. I loved the fact that he`s been a looser for many years and somehow the writher reddemed him and made him a really badass character. 

queenfrost_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By queenfrost_

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Why are pepole adding random black characters that aren't even African?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.