Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
No Caption Provided
The new Winter Guard teams up with the Agents of Atlas to fight Krang and some rogue Atlanteans.

The Good

There's a cool twist at the end where certain characters from the Winter Guard's history return and I'm curious as to what their reappearance will mean for the current team, thematically. I got a kick of seeing Ursa Major in action - - this big bear just kicking ass. It's such a bizarre, unique visual and much of that has to do with how Ellis renders him. I did like the team dynamics rendered here, especially the give and take in Red Guardian and Crimson Dynamo's relationship of power.

The Bad

I'm not sure what the hook for this series is aside from it being about Russia's answer to the Avengers, what sets it apart from being just another superhero book. The twist at the end might be interesting to parlay this into some commentary about modern Russia dealing with its Soviet history. I wasn't really feeling the back-up feature from an old X-Men Unlimited issue, either. I'm not sure why it's even included here other than just to throw in another Darkstar story, since it's close to 10 years old and it's going to be serialized, even though it's just small snippets.

The Verdict - 3/5

While it's cool to see Marvel stories that aren't specifically set in New York city, but I would've liked to have seen a little more of a unique gimmick for the Winter Guard to make it stand apart from other tiles on the shelves. Again, I don't want to blow this surprise twist at the end, but it changes the premise that might prove to be more interesting in the remaining two issues.
geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By geraldthesloth

I liked this story, isn't there going to be an ongoing for this title?

DavidGallaher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By DavidGallaher

While it's cool to see Marvel stories that aren't specifically set in New York city, but I would've liked to have seen a little more of a unique gimmick for the Winter Guard to make it stand apart from other tiles on the shelves.

Thanks for the review. We address the central 'gimmick' for the series twice in the first issue without trying to hit readers over the head with it. (We also address to a FAR greater degree in the Hulk: Winter Guard one-shot from December) -- all of the members of the Winter Guard are replaceable  -- they are the red shirts of the Marvel Universe - replacable at a moment's notice. When you enlist in the Winter Guard, you serve in one of four roles until you retire, die, quit, or are fired. You'll see this in the exchange between Dmitiri and Vazhin -- and earlier with Galina & Anton.

The back-up story was added just for fun -- to give readers an opportunity to learn more about the original Darkstar.  
Nikko72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Nikko72
@DavidGallaher:  Thanks dude, Your writting rocks! Finally someone who continues the story and improves and doesn't forget the past stories. Thats what makes a great book. Its the little newonces that made this book great for me, The reappearance of Vanguad and even just a glimpse of the Airstrike armor. I've been a Big Fan of Marvels Russians super heroes. I've followed them from all the incarnations( Soviet Super Soilders, Supreme Soviets and Peoples Protectorate.) Hope this book goes monthly, keep up what your doing dude. Guess it helps that you were a fan too.
DavidGallaher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By DavidGallaher

The second issue hits stores yesterday, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Leliel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Leliel
@DavidGallaher said:
" The second issue hits stores yesterday, I'd love to hear your thoughts! "
I hope it continue I really do enjoy when Russia is not just full of evil Soviets, I have Russian family and they were and some still communist and there great people comics got this thing were they are all evil
Nikko72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Nikko72
@DavidGallaher: Second Books Rocks! just like the first. The ending made me cry for more.  Just tell me Vostok and Perun are not dead? I hope they rejoin the team. Be kind of cool for Vanguards team and Winter Guard to join up. Avengers! watch out! Hope and pray for ongoing series.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.