undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

You guys remember the Shroud? Maybe? Lethal vigilante? Darkness powers? Blind? Mark Waid remembers and dredges him up out of obscurity and, like every other character he’s given this treatment to, completely reinvents him immediately. And for the best. But before Shroud drifts into the picture, we get to see Matty adjusting nicely to life in the City and even working with the mayor’s office in his capacity as Daredevil. The scene of them, along with Murdock’s partner Kirsten, having dinner and being interrupted by Matt describing Shroud to a tee based on him skulking around the roof is merely one piece among many of the witty dialog that permeates this issue. In addition we get some good backstory on the Shroud that’s written with an amazing economy. In just a single page we learn everything we need to know about the mad, brutal vigilante and the story gets to continue without missing a beat. It was definitely important to let the reader know who this guy is as, much like in She-Hulk, there’s a certain winking humor applied to characters who are obscure to readers also being obscure to the characters IN the book. None it feels forced.

Chris Samnee handles the linework, and shares “storyteller” credit with Waid, and the visuals in this book continue to be some of the best in all of comics. From the character design and amazing definition to the incredible sense of motion and fluidity that never once falters, the art is at once amazingly complex and incredibly simple, and that’s partially due to Javier Rodriguez's colors. The colors are dark, but never dreary and set the mood perfectly. This book also does a great job of downplaying dialog during action scenes (though there is SOME internal) and also knowing when to have none at all. Near the end of the issue, Kirsten makes a startling revelation and the entire scene is completely silent, ratcheting up the drama to another level entirely.

The Bad

I’m having a difficult time coming up with anything to dislike about this issue. Top-to-bottom amazing.

The Verdict

It looks like, despite renumbering and a completely different location, we’re still getting the same high-quality Daredevil we’ve come to expect from this creative team. The change to San Francisco has not only given the setting a different flavor, but changed the character lineup significantly, making it far, far more than merely a palette swap. The last time Waid and Samnee revived an old character from total obscurity, we got the absolutely terrifying Spot Centipede and I can’t wait to see what happens with this newest revived villain. This book is nothing but potential, and it’s going to be an incredible ride seeing it fulfilled.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Wow amazing issue. I am already enjoying this more than previous run.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By longbowhunter

Great read. Always liked the Shroud. It's cool to see Waid use him as a major foe for Daredevil.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I thought this was really just a set up issue the first time I read it. It seemed to just set up next months issue. But since it reinvented a character I guess that makes it a little better. There just wasn't anything exciting in this issue for me besides the last page. I am excited for what happens next though.

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved this issue, and the direction this series is headed in. Business as usual I suppose.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I try to read this but couldn't get past the intro

Avatar image for captainhotstuff
    CaptainHotStuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gah, So looking forward to reading this!!

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Only issue for me was that Kirsten doesn't look like shes wearing pants when she is watching Hastert leave

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

@tuouly1 said:

my classmate's mother-in-law makes $65 hourly on the computer . She has been without a job for six months but last month her payment was $20440 just working on the computer for a few hours. you could try here...............www.Works23.us

I was cool with everything,except ":mother-in-law" .......you have to call her "mom" .....harmony in the family.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 owie  Moderator

I'm always happy to see the Shroud, and he makes a particularly good guy to have in a Daredevil story considering their mutual blindness/powers. The Shroud's character does shift about a lot over time; when he started in Spider Woman year ago, he was a pretty good-spirited guy, but then he descended into crazier territory with the Night Shift, and all his "pretend to be a bad guy to catch the bad guys" routine. Now I guess he's gone all the way.

It will be interesting to see if Waid uses more west-coast characters, like those that used to appear in Spider-Woman, West Coast Avengers, and so on. Girl-Hawkeye is in LA now too. Too bad Moon Knight is back on the east coast, he'd be good in combination with both DD and the Shroud.

Avatar image for timelordscience
    TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was a great issue and a great review too Corey

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You just miss reading Daredevil lol

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

Very much so but it doesn't look like I'll be able to read it any time soon.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Yeah I don't think Waid's going anywhere for awhile

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GrenadeFlow

We need a new artist and/or colorist on this book these bright colors aren't doing it for me anymore

Fenderxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

Hands down my favorite Marvel title ! Love what Waid is doing with the character.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Squalleon

@daredevil21134 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Although I have enjoyed what I have read from it. My main fear or thought about Waid's run is how he will influence future writers on the title. Will he break the endless cycle of bleakness that surrounded Daredevil for more than a decade before him. Will the future writers follow his footsteps, will they make it more dark and serious, will they find the silver lining between bleak and fun?

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Although I have enjoyed what I have read from it. My main fear or thought about Waid's run is how he will influence future writers on the title. Will he break the endless cycle of bleakness that surrounded Daredevil for more than a decade before him. Will the future writers follow his footsteps, will they make it more dark and serious, will they find the silver lining between bleak and fun?

All good questions I wish I had answers to

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_Titan_Lord

Nice.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Also the answers are what determines if I ever read a DD comic again.

Avatar image for thewalkingdeadpool18
    thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 said:

@squalleon said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

I think his run is pretty good so far....

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@squalleon said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

I think his run is pretty good so far....

Have you read a lot of DD?

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By daredevil21134
    thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous:

Tried i usually find DD comics to be written kind of bad tbh but i've only read a few issues in like 2 different runs some being limited series like 5 issues runs or whatever so maybe i should try to get into more DD but he's just an ok-good character to me not great. I basically get the superior version of him with Batman. I may even like Moon Knight more then DD i'm not sure. For one thing how many times you can kill a characters girlfriend to the point where you just don't give a crap and actually expect her to die? Anyway i thought issue 1 was really good i thought this issue was pretty good and i have yet to read the 1.50 issue but i have it may read it today.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@thewalkingdeadpool18: DD is nothing like Batman, in fact he's pretty much the opposite. And he is one of, if not the most consistently written comic character Marvel has, about 90% of his comic runs have been great. The reason THIS run isn't is because it's barely a Daredevil comic, it's more like a poor attempt at Spider-Man.

thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous:

Disagree i've found a good bit of DD comics to be written meh to bad. Could try more but i really just don't think his comics are very well written. In terms of Batman i don't consider him a copy cat but many times in comics i've read of him it was writers attempting to make him more Batman give him the Batman appeal and it doesn't work. I think alot of characters at Marvel have consistancy maybe not Spider-Man or Cap since Cap hasn't had a good run since well his death but overall i'd say most Marvel characters are written consistantly good especially with the great comics that have now.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@thewalkingdeadpool18: Seriously you can tell you haven't read any DD just by you saying that. This isn't just my opinion it's the general consensus.

thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous:

But i told you i've read DD. Not many full runs but read him none the less. Not that great of character looking forward to his Netflix series though. Also it is your opinion because i've met people who've told me they don't like how DD comics are written.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
    Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Okay..I'm late to the party, but: Though I know Waid didn't create "The Shroud" It's obvious he's basically "Batman gone bad" Parents shot..cape and cowl. The power set is different, but that he's a Batman character isn't even subtle. So, seems to me using this guy is nothing more than way to have "Daredevil vs Batman." I like Waid, a lot. I've liked his DD, a lot. This however, is gimicky. The Shroud is gimmicky. That Waid even considers using "Batman as a villain", is I think, disappointing. He's better than that. THis is one of the few of his DD issues I'd give less than 3 stars.

That said, I don't know why folks think DD has to be dark and gritty. He never was until Miller. Granted, that was 30 years ago, and he's been that way since, but Waid is making DD more like he was originally intended, minus the yellow suit. I'm OK with that. Using a villain that's a Batman rip-off? Not so cool. There's a reason The Shroud is little-used.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.